Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2020, 15:07   #46
BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R Superbike Rider runs away from cops, then posts video clarification

I agree - two wrongs don't make a right. However, the harassment by Police for superbike riders is for real.

Statistically speaking, more than 80% of superbikes (and for the purpose of objectivity let say anything over 500 CC is a super bike) owners are law abiding responsible urban dwellers, who are professionals and have days jobs to keep.

if the total number of such super bikes is no more than 50k in the country out of which bare 10K riders (20%) are negligent, why paint everyone with the same stroke.

I personally had to endure this ordeal for the interceptor 650 that I was riding. The way I was flagged down by a policeman would have caused injury to either or both of us, maybe fatal who knows. He suddenly appeared out of a concealed corner with type 1 error hypothesis (He thought I would ride on, I didn't!).

And what did he stop me for, to check if I had any mods done for the bike - like a ruffian he turned the engine of, turned it back on, and raced it. He then proceeded blow the horn. Realising that no mods had been done, with disappointment written large over his face; he waved to his saahab who was sitting in the shade that there were no doughnuts to be had from me. He did then let me go.

If I am flagged down the next time, my hypothesis would be that I have been stopped to fleece money and would try hard to wriggle out of the situation. I guess anyone would!

Would be interesting to know if MV rules also define methods to flag down a vehicle. In Western part of the World, the methods are much safer, atleast they ensure that one dies even before one is accosted and asked questions of!
kjayant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 16:10   #47
BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R Superbike Rider runs away from cops, then posts video clarification

A classic case of "Pehle chori, phir seena zori".

A cop asks you to stop, you stop, period. There can be no reason for evading the cops when asked to stop (harassment, etc, etc). You sort things out once you have stopped.
This guy breaks several laws and then cribs about getting thrown a traffic cone at?
Shameful act according to me. No one has any right to cause others any sort of inconvenience, leave aside putting others' lives in danger, as was the case here speeding at 150-200Km'hr.

Having said all the above, throwing the cone was not the correct thing for the cops to do, as it could have put any other passerby's life at danger, as someone has already mentioned in one of the earlier posts.
Old 8th September 2020, 16:23   #48
BHPian

I am foremost a rider and I understand that we love our machines and spend such amounts to enjoy or time on them.

Being a resident of an apartment along the new airport road Bangalore, I am witness to laud exhausts and the thunderous roar of bikes as small as 2 strokes stunting as well as the superbikes rushing. A stretch of 2 km around Jakkur flyover has claimed the lives of 3 riders who had a head-on collision at triple-digit speed while one of them was popping a wheelie. In addition to another who rode into the railing at high speed.

The road is a common asset for all riders and drivers alike. Rules are framed to maintain discipline as well as aid in safekeeping other road users. Maybe the riders have all equipment and he might be safe in the event of a crash but the other biker going with his wife and kid wouldn't be that lucky. They pay the price for the adrenaline junkie in you with their lives. So a rider riding fast is not just putting his life at risk albeit being in the cocoon of his costly and efficient gear but also of the other road users who has equal rights to life as the rider on his exotic ride.

This man on the video seems rude and selfish and finds himself privileged as he has paid 210% import tax and demands facilities for his bike to ride the way he wants. He clearly talks about his fast passes and throttle blasts which I am sure is unwarranted for and is nothing but an act of show-off.

I also ride exotic bikes as well once a while and it is not these bikes are equally fun even at a meagre 80-100kmph and I restrict myself to a faster pace only when I am in a controlled environment where I ensure someone else will not be harmed by my action. In India, the same license is enough to ride a 97cc splendour and a 999 cc litre class monster. The issue is in the minds of these riders who think they are privileged as they have the ride and the gear
Jessierider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 16:35   #49
BHPian

I am not a fan of cops of our country and have faced their corrupt behavior a few times. It's true we fear the law because we don't understand it and it's a waste of time navigating through them even if we're not in the wrong, personally speaking.

However, this guy in the video, by his own admission had done everything in the book to be liable to pay a fine and is absolutely not justified in asking for sympathies. Looks like a case of an entitled brat wanting compliance from everyone without being compliant themself.

Recently I was riding back home around midnight and was stopped at Vasant Kunj near the car market by cops. They asked me basic questions like where are you coming from, where are you going, what bike is this, on kar ke dikhao, awaz sunao, show the papers etc. Then they asked me to go, I enquired as to why was I stopped to which this guy tells me in pure innocent Hindi - dekho bhai 4 logo ko rokenge tabhi toh galat aadmi pakdenge (unless we stop and check people how will we catch a culprit). I thought that made sense, although I was disgusted as well to have been stopped and go through the ordeal of taking off gloves, taking out papers etc. but these are necessary evils one must live with in my opinion.
shabih is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 17:05   #50
BHPian

I know a few of my Colleagues who are bikers. They have been riding from last 10 years and have owned some really good bikes. Till date, they have not said even once that they have been harassed by the cops. Infact, Cops have actually helped to get out of some tricky situations such as Road Rage with noob bikers.

Yes, i agree that there are situations where cops acts in an unprofessional way. Maybe they are a bit more biased towards the bikers. But at the end of the day, Most of the Cops do their jobs properly and faithfully.

I do not understand what was the mistake of the Cops in this incident. Yes hitting the biker with the Cone was wrong but that was just the Frustration. If People do not listen to the Cops, what are they supposed to do? I do not support hitting anyone but maybe just think from the Cop's perspective. They are standing in Bright Sunlight for our safety and if we do not listen to them, at some point of time they will get frustrated.

The Biker is actually boasting of the fact that he was riding at 150-200 kmph. Even a Car would have been stopped if the driver was doing such insane speeds. On top of that, he did not had proper documents with him. I guess his bike was not even registered. That in itself is a punishable offence.

He is saying that he paid 200% tax on the bike. So what? Yes Importing Vehicles in India is an expensive affair but nobody forced him to do so. And even if u did purchased a Bike which is so expensive, that does not mean that you are above the law. Law is the same for everyone irrespective for their Financial Status.
Sounak04 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 17:09   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakirank View Post
... but finally let go of him after he paid 2K.

Was all this required if the fine to be paid was 2k? And from when did superbike riders become poor?
I would like to understand why ₹2K paid? As fine or bribe? If it was a fine, on what charges?
Old 8th September 2020, 17:24   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvsben View Post
I would like to understand why ₹2K paid? As fine or bribe? If it was a fine, on what charges?
Already mentioned above and it is also mentioned in the video. The fine is for over speeding.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 17:40   #53

Absolutely rubbish video and claim. Whatever are the circumstances, not stopping is not at all justified. This guy is blaming cops for extortion and while it can be true, but look at his own admissions about his own bike viz. he did not have RC, he had an invalid number plate, riding on a public road well beyond the speed limit and still has guts to rebutt the cops.

Someone made an apt statement that had he been in the US, he would have been chased and hunted down by the cops, no questions asked.

On top of that, they could be a hazard to the other drivers/riders on the road.

In my opinion, the police should seize their bikes and cancel their licenses. Owning an expensive toy does not give you a right to neglect the laws and traffic rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Every wrong doer is not the same. For example a terrorist is not the same as a biker not stopping when asked to pull over.
But a terrorist can very well be disguised as a biker and that said, a cop can stop anyone under suspicion and a law abiding citizen should follow the instructions to the T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I am glad that cops are carrying out these checks. I religiously check my violations weekly and pay them off online (maybe 5 across multiple cars over the last 13 years in BLR). Unsure why you'd be out on the road with a illegal number plate or window tint or a broken tail light (inviting a rear-ending into your own vehicle).

Are you also saying we should not pay our taxes? Is the 'only disadvantage' not getting a loan from a nationalized bank?
I agree. These kind of checks are absolutely needed. A broken head/tail lamp on an Indian unlit road is a sure death trap, especially for a 2-wheeler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyNomad View Post
The thing that stands out in the video and this TBHP thread as well is that the third rider actually stopped and was penalised while the ones that fled went scot free. The OP of the video keeps saying that the third rider kept insisting that they stop at the barricade while the OP and the second rider had decided to evade. If the cop cocking a gun at the third rider is true, then it is as wrong as the act of the first two riders fleeing. It underscores the point wildsdi5530 was making.
I don't think, stopping the rider at the gun point was wrong on the part of the cop. Considering the vanishing act of the third biker's friends, the entire gang of bikers comes under suspicion and there is nothing wrong to stop them even if it is done forcefully.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 8th September 2020 at 19:00. Reason: Mod note attached.
vroom_vroom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 18:28   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Already mentioned above and it is also mentioned in the video. The fine is for over speeding.
My humble apologies. I don’t think ₹2K was enough. They should have impounded the vehicle and cancelled their license.
benvsben is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 18:31   #55
Senior - BHPian

"Humne fly-by mari police ki"
(We flew by the police *Possibly did not notice*)

After that fly-by one ride from the group slowed down and told the others that police might be up ahead, if they are, just stop. Incidentally this rider "Pajji" did stop. "Woh nikal nahi pai"

"Par humne toh soch liya ki mujhe toh rukna nahi hain"
(But I have made up my mind I don't want to stop)

"Pajji nei bola tha rokne ke liye, but mene kaha koi fayda nahi hain. Bike ki lag jayegi aur Delhi - Panipat court case chalenge aur paise bhi bahut lagenge"

(Pajji said we should stop but its no use, bike will be impounded and we have spend a lot of money and go back and forth from Delhi and Panipat over court cases)

"Police wale ne mere seer pe cone mara"
(Cops threw the cone on me")

He goes on to say they pinned the throtte to escape over the next 25 kms.

So Pajji was caught, he got a gun pointed to his head possible to give the details about this fellow.

Pajji didn't snitch but then in gratitude got his bike and face plastered all over a YouTube video now.

So apparently in the morning in the opposite direction, this YouTuber had revved the engine in front of the interceptor and since then they have been on the hunt for this group

"Thodi si humne bhagai matlab dedso - dooso mein bhaghai"
(We we riding a bit fast, just around 150 - 200 kmph)

Youtuber goes onto say ki they are now cutting challans on the Expressway, Gurguan etc. Only road left to ride was the GT Road.

"Ab hum chalaye kaha"
(Where do we ride?)

"Apko hum doso dus % duty de rahe hain kis liye, bike chalane ke liye"
(We are paying the govt 210% import duty to ride the bikes)

"Sau pe chalane ke liye? Kam se kam dooso toh banta hain"
(To ride at 100 kmph? Atleast 200 kmph should be considered normal)

"Har banda track nahi afford kar sakte hain"
(Not everyone can afford going to the track)

"Itna dikat hain toh import karna band kardo"
(If you (gov) has so much issues with it stop importing these bikes)

"Hum subha panch baje chalate hain kyunki road khali rehta hain, thoda throttle mar sakta hain aur normal log jab bad mein office jate hain unko takleef nahi pauche"
(We ride in the morning at 5 because roads are empty and we can send it. So that later when the office commuters come out we are back home)

All that whining. This is how the guy rides. His license should be revoked.

Last edited by avishar : 8th September 2020 at 18:37.
avishar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 19:31   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakirank View Post
Came across this news of superbike riders dodging cops and then posting a video on Youtube to explain the churlish logic behind their action.

]
Fully agreed. The speed limit within cities is 50 - 60 KM/H and on highways is between 80 - 100 KM/H. Which Super Biker rides at 80 - 100 KM/H leave aside 50-60 KM/H? And not stopping when cops are asking you to stop is a criminal offence. They should be thankful that they were able to get away by paying a fine of 2000 Rs for overspeeding.
Old 8th September 2020, 20:32   #57
YDS
BHPian

Even if Police harassment is real, running away from them is not a solution rather facing them with logic is!

Running away like this will only categorise super bikers as a prickly subject. Also, as far as this robot rider is concerned; an action must be taken by police using the video as evidence.
Old 8th September 2020, 20:38   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounak04 View Post
I know a few of my Colleagues who are bikers. They have been riding from last 10 years and have owned some really good bikes. Till date, they have not said even once that they have been harassed by the cops. Infact, Cops have actually helped to get out of some tricky situations such as Road Rage with noob bikers.

Yes, i agree that there are situations where cops acts in an unprofessional way. Maybe they are a bit more biased towards the bikers. But at the end of the day, Most of the Cops do their jobs properly and faithfully.
Say what anyone may, but by the very nature of their jobs, Cops are great judges of character. They deal with such squids (and much more serious criminals) on a daily basis. If it was any decent human being, they would've never thrown any cone on him.

In fact, even after watching this video, I am very confident of riding down this very same road, being reassured that these cops are doing their duty, and as long as I am not a miscreant menace-to-society like this youtuber, cops would be the polite humans they always are.

All those defending the acts of this criminal, please post here if you would ever have to courage to employ him in your team/company, or ever give him any responsibility close to your family? This guy is the definition of a "misfit in society".

I do not have to say much more here, everything has been said in this thread and the youtube comments section:
Attached Images

AdityaRai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 20:48   #59
BHPian

I ride a Harley.

I commute for work and pleasure between Chandigarh and Gurgaon quite often. I've done multiple trips over the last couple of years on all the roads this rider mentioned - KMP, Panipat highway, Expressway around Gurgaon.

Speed guns are quite common in these parts. They're setup for catching cars and bikes alike. Are the speed traps irritating? The answer is Yes. But what these riders did was so wrong on multiple levels. The rider's attitude is pretty bad. He's trying to justify his actions by saying there's no space to ride. He himself says he whizzed past the cops and didn't slow down. That's the first problem.

If cops flag you down. Stop and talk to them. Nine out of ten times I've stopped, the cops were respectful and clicked photos of the bike. There are some cops who just act mean for no reason. Let them do their bit. Maintain your cool.

It's guys like this who end up giving the biker community a bad name. While some of good points might be valid about track days being expensive. But that doesn't mean he needs to act that way with cops.
Rathore_13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 22:33   #60
BHPian

I'll tell you how to ride Sbk's at 50-60 kmph.
You do so in 2nd or 3rd gear for most of them out there.
If its a Hayabusa, you do so in 4th or 5th gear.
If its a Ducati's V2/ L2 engine, you do so in 1st or 2nd gear.

I agree that what he did wasn't right- And he can't justify the thing by what Police did, that too in a video that advertises some sort of rummy app (shows how serious he is).
But the thing is, this can't be an intelligent conclusion to my post.

Its about time these guys start going to racetrack days, and BIC management start having cheaper, timed trackdays... They're from Delhi, which is good.

If you've ridden Sbk's, you might know that riding these bikes slow is actually a bit of a challenge... yes. They start heating up heavily, the engine gives the stuttering feeling as you don't even get enough torque to the point where even low capacity bikes like 390's overtake dominantly, engine life suffers, etc.
More simply put, its a sort of an abuse of a Sbk to ride it this slow.

We need to have a serious debate of the existence and future of such road bikes... What should be done to them?
Should they stop selling? Should riders maintain speed discipline despite the technicalities? Should they have trackers built in from companies (hell no, in my opinion)? Should we have high speed zones in the country?
Should we have a condition whereby only bikes able to reasonably maintain 60 kmph in top gear, or a basic 25NM~ torque across the rev range, should be on sale?

Speed is progress, we all know. It should happen over time (although it goes against environment and resources).
But no progress is meaningful without safety of the weakest person involved. And putting this decision on a typical 19 yr old A-license holder is not maturity in my opinion.
Samarth 619 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks