Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2020, 22:38   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R Superbike Rider runs away from cops, then posts video clarification

Can't the cops do something on the basis of these youtube videos that such morons proudly post? The one above showing him doing stunts on a busy road is downright criminal. Heavy penalty, licence suspension, vehicle impound and a possible jail term should be awarded to such scoundrels.

I have had a dozen or so encounters with cops over the years. Sometimes when I was at fault and sometimes when I was stopped randomly. But never has a cop misbehaved and have always behaved patiently. Regardless you ought to stop when a uniformed officer is asking you to stop.
Old 9th September 2020, 00:44   #62
BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R Superbike Rider runs away from cops, then posts video clarification

Driving License of both the bikers should be suspended for 3 months along with hefty fines especially the one without the paperwork.
The cop who hit the biker with a cone should also be suspended for 1 month.
If the police thinks that someone is a criminal then they have to prove that. They can't just shoot or punish anyone. They are not the judge. If the civilians are accountable for their actions (ill), then why not the police? Police (traffic) in every developed democracy is way better than ours. Or we are just not aiming to be developed at all.
Who gives the right to police to hit anyone on the street? I have seen it multiple times and I'm sure everyone else must also have.
Even though I'm steadfast against what the bikers did but if I have to choose as to who was more wrong then it's the cops for sure.
Old 9th September 2020, 01:15   #63
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Traffic police in certain given circumstances have the power to even fire at a fleeing person if the situation so desires.
Traffic police is not even supposed to carry a gun and have no power to fire at a fleeing person. Even if it is a hit and run or a bank robbery, they have no authority to fire.

There are very specific cases where a weapon can be fired and even then an account of bullets used has to be given. These bikers were idiots and should have stopped but the whole traffic cone scene was wrong.

Last edited by AZT : 9th September 2020 at 01:27.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 01:37   #64
BHPian

I remember back when bikes used to be imported, police used to stop because they really wanted to impound bikes which didn't have legal paperwork. But incidents like these especially today when such bikes are legally sold in India is plain sad. Covids hit the police hard too, fines are tough to come by. Hence this. Catch SBK riders, make a quick buck. Not new this video.
Old 9th September 2020, 02:06   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
I remember back when bikes used to be imported, police used to stop because they really wanted to impound bikes which didn't have legal paperwork. But incidents like these especially today when such bikes are legally sold in India is plain sad. Covids hit the police hard too, fines are tough to come by. Hence this. Catch SBK riders, make a quick buck. Not new this video.
What do we infer from this statement? Are we supposed to feel sorry for the police? Or is it somehow justified for the cops to extort from people because they suffered loss on their bribe income due lockdown?
Let's not regularise police corruption and brutality by giving it a human face, corruption is corruption period.
AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 09:04   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

So what exactly do the cops harass these riders with? I asked this same question in another thread recently when a group of bikers complained about harassment in Bangalore.

I really want to know since I have too been stopped a few times for a random check, sometimes in Delhi, sometimes outside Delhi probably owing to the outstation number in those cases. But every time they have only asked me to show the documents, PUC, Insurance etc. I have been fined or asked to pay a bribe only in the instances where I was breaking a rule. The rule can be flimsy like the yellow tape at the corner of your headlight in Gujarat. But there is always something.

So if these bikers have all the papers and no illegal mods done to their bikes, on what basis do the cops harass them? The bike in discussion here costs around 12L? An entry level 320d costs 40L on road. I am sure the cops also know this and if the only criterion to harass is the vehicle's worth then all luxury car owners would also have had similar experiences.

And from my limited experience of encountering superbikes or these biker gangs out on a quick drive in and around Delhi, 9 out of 10 times they are over speeding and cutting lanes. The exhaust notes are something which can suddenly make your heart skip a beat if you are caught unguarded (not sure about the legality of that). So what is this victim card that they are playing?
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 13:35   #67

With great POWER comes great RESPONSIBILITY. When will these superbikers realise this? In this case, it looks like a routine check. So why flee away, show such a malicious bravery and post a senseless YouTube video? There are thousands of responsible superbikers but a few irresponsible novices like these malign superbiking. Sad indeed.
Old 9th September 2020, 15:59   #68
Senior - BHPian

Ok, He himself lists the reasons why he ran away from cops:
- His bike was new, RC not yet delivered
- Number plate as not as per the standards
- had fitted an aftermarket exhaust ?
- Was afraid that his bike would get impounded at Panipat and would have to do some rounds of Delhi-Panipat

I couldn't help ... he then justifies his act by giving other reasons like 'where should we ride our bikes at high speed ?' 'Tracks are so expensive' 'we pay taxes' bla bla bla

The police just need to try a little harder, they can easily get him and his bike. It will be far easier to track down all owners of ZX10R and narrow down on this guy.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 16:51   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
What do we infer from this statement? Are we supposed to feel sorry for the police? Or is it somehow justified for the cops to extort from people because they suffered loss on their bribe income due lockdown?
Let's not regularise police corruption and brutality by giving it a human face, corruption is corruption period.
I infer what you said: Corruption is corruption. Not feeling sorry for the police but lets not forget corruption runs deep. I know how the BMC has chosen Covid19 as a money making scheme. So yes they're(police) doing a hard duty and sometimes I do feel sorry for them. Extortion from anyone is never justified. Nor is throwing the cone! I also draw from experience and have also concluded...nakabandis are a waste of time and effort. Its plain harassment of honest tax paying citizens like me. Be it super bikers or plain motorists like all of us. My heart cringes when I see ambulances stuck in traffic.

My point was: the police now are educated enough to know that such big bikes are sold legally and are ridden by honest people. This dadagiri won't work anymore. Peace!
coolmel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 19:17   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
But incidents like these especially today when such bikes are legally sold in India is plain sad. Covids hit the police hard too, fines are tough to come by. Hence this. Catch SBK riders, make a quick buck. Not new this video.
I don't think you saw the whole video. He himself gives reasons why he decided to not stop, which I have already mentioned above. While your argument might be valid, it does not apply here.

Secondly, I don't think how one would make quick bucks if you are carrying all documents required and a road legal vehicle irrespective of whether it is a Super-bike or a Luna. I have been stopped n number of times by police, be it in Goa, Bangalore, Pune or Mumbai (most times in Mumbai) and I've got away without paying a dime, simply because they had nothing against me ! I was once caught by police saying I jumped the red light at previous signal, I simply asked him to take my vehicle and file a case against me, I can fight it out in court as I know I had not, you can verify it in CCTV cameras. The Traffic police let me go after 5 minutes. If you are true to yourself, you will have enough strength to fight it out
NiInJa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 20:05   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
I don't think you saw the whole video. He himself gives reasons why he decided to not stop, which I have already mentioned above. While your argument might be valid, it does not apply here.

Secondly, I don't think how one would make quick bucks if you are carrying all documents required and a road legal vehicle irrespective of whether it is a Super-bike or a Luna. I have been stopped n number of times by police, be it in Goa, Bangalore, Pune or Mumbai (most times in Mumbai) and I've got away without paying a dime, simply because they had nothing against me ! I was once caught by police saying I jumped the red light at previous signal, I simply asked him to take my vehicle and file a case against me, I can fight it out in court as I know I had not, you can verify it in CCTV cameras. The Traffic police let me go after 5 minutes. If you are true to yourself, you will have enough strength to fight it out
Yes I didn't see the video properly I will be honest. But I have seldom seen the Mumbai Police stop super bikes and not let them go despite having all paperwork. Despite knowing the law and not stopping is well not cool.

All said and done, having been a biker myself, we are easy targets of the police. And I have also been true to myself the numerous times I have been caught. Beyond a point I have even argued and zipped off. One just has to be plain lucky.
Old 10th September 2020, 00:20   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
So what exactly do the cops harass these riders with? I asked this same question in another thread recently when a group of bikers complained about harassment in Bangalore.

I really want to know since I have too been stopped a few times for a random check, sometimes in Delhi, sometimes outside Delhi probably owing to the outstation number in those cases. But every time they have only asked me to show the documents, PUC, Insurance etc. I have been fined or asked to pay a bribe only in the instances where I was breaking a rule. The rule can be flimsy like the yellow tape at the corner of your headlight in Gujarat. But there is always something.

So if these bikers have all the papers and no illegal mods done to their bikes, on what basis do the cops harass them? The bike in discussion here costs around 12L? An entry level 320d costs 40L on road. I am sure the cops also know this and if the only criterion to harass is the vehicle's worth then all luxury car owners would also have had similar experiences.

And from my limited experience of encountering superbikes or these biker gangs out on a quick drive in and around Delhi, 9 out of 10 times they are over speeding and cutting lanes. The exhaust notes are something which can suddenly make your heart skip a beat if you are caught unguarded (not sure about the legality of that). So what is this victim card that they are playing?
In my humble opinion, even if we have all the documents and were riding with the legal speed limits, 1 big area of concern becomes the modifications to the bike and most noticeably aftermarket exhausts.

Now, I have an after market exhaust on my bike too and I use it with the DB killer in. Ideally according to manufacturer claims, it should be within 95DBs meeting Euro5 Sound regulations norms.

How do you explain this to the police here. However, will I not stop if asked to stop by the police? I will absolutely stop.

Personally in my humble opinion, there is no rationale explanation of not stopping. How can it be assumed that all police personal would only harass you. How can we expect police to know that we are not bad people without stopping us and checking?

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 01:21   #73
BHPian

Ugh.. This does not deserve a separate thread and discussion. What the rider did was utter nonsense. Heck, he does not even qualify to be called as a "Rider". He is such a total disgrace to our riding community.

Such folks SHOULD be arrested and sent to spend some time in Jail. Their license should be revoked permanently and the vehicle should be scrapped. There are other videos on his YouTube channel that speaks volumes about his "I am not at fault" claim.

Quote:
Ok, He himself lists the reasons why he ran away from cops:
- His bike was new, RC not yet delivered
- Number plate as not as per the standards
- had fitted an aftermarket exhaust ?
- Was afraid that his bike would get impounded at Panipat and would have to do some rounds of Delhi-Panipat
His bike was new, RC not yet delivered: Delivery Note, Invoice, Insurance. These papers should have done in that case.

Number plate as not as per the standards - First Violation
had fitted an aftermarket exhaust ? - Second Violation, if true
where should we ride our bikes at high speed ? - Get your adrenaline fix at the Race track

'Tracks are so expensive' - So is other peoples lives he is putting at risk. I am not going to count his, since he doesn't care about it anyway. Even Professional Race car/Motor bike racers are at risk when they are in roads. We can quote a lot of accidents where such skilled and trained people have lost their lives. Many examples even in India.

'we pay taxes' - So are other law abiding, heeding-to-traffic-police citizens of this country.

I could keep going, but the forum rules prevent the use of un-parlimentary words, I have to refrain.
TangoSierra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 01:41   #74
BHPian

Ridiculous. Running away from Law enforcement and then justifying the reason. Regardless of whether there is fault somewhere, one has to follow the law. Running away and posting a video is a blatant violation of the fine print when one gets a DL. Such riders should be pulled up and punished appropriately.
People are taking social media to the extreme and it's time that the police and traffic forces do the same to counter such stupid videos and posts.
Old 10th September 2020, 10:30   #75
BHPian

I am hoping to see the title updated sometime with "UPDATE - bike has been seized and heavy penalty levied on biker"

How can someone with an iota of a brain be so arrogant? What gives these weirdos so much privilege and attitude?

Making a mistake is natural. Forget about owning up, trying to justify your stupidity takes it to another level.

His argument of being allowed to go fast on a superbike because government is permitting imports is similar to asking for smoking in public be allowed because government is allowing sale of cigarettes.
praveen789 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks