Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2020, 14:38   #76
BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R Superbike Rider runs away from cops, then posts video clarification

The bikers in this case are completely at fault. So, for this particular incident, I don't think we need to discuss who's wrong but yes, over the years, I have had my fair share of uncomfortable/heated moments with the traffic police. The problem is 90% of policemen are constables that don't have much knowledge about the law and also they are not courteous:

Let me share a few Incidents:
1) I live in Bangalore but from the last 3 months am working from Bhopal and staying with my parents. Around one and a half months back, there was a specific 10 days lockdown in Bhopal. I read the lockdown order (available at bhopal.nic.in/en) which allowed grocery shopping from the nearby Sanchi (milk+provisions) store. So, I went to the nearby store (around 400 meters from my house) on my father's Activa. Bought the stuff and while coming back a policemen stopped me asking where I was headed. I told him that I have purchased the following items and heading back home. He said it's not allowed. So, I patiently opened the order and read the clause in front of him and asked him to read it himself. Here's what he replied - "Hum apne senior ka order maante hain, aur agar mujhe tumhe fasana raha to kuch aur karke fasa dunga". I told him that he can try and see who ends up behind the bars in that case. His colleague said "tum sorry bolo hume to hum jaane denge". I said if I would have committed an offence, I would have definitely said so, but not for this. In fact, you should say sorry. After 10 mins of argument, he finally let me go without any fine (As there was no case). Later I complaint about this policeman on the CM helpline and action has been taken against him.
2) Police stopping and when you show all the papers, some have the audacity to say "thoda chai paani ka paisa de do"
3) Police framing you for some crime. Once I was stopped on the highway (in kerala) for overspeeding. I just said, show me the car photo with proof. It's not that I have never over speeded but I was sure that I was well under the limit that time. His colleague retrieved the record and the car speed shown was 51 km/hr whereas the limit was 60 km/hr. So, the policemen looked else where and asked me to leave.

Such incidents happen very frequently and leave a bad taste. It's like you know, that once you are stopped, the encounter will mostly not be a good one. Even if you don't pay a fine, the interaction won't be pleasing. Having said that, I have always stopped whenever asked to stop.

Last edited by Ashish0485 : 10th September 2020 at 14:43.
Ashish0485 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 17:26   #77
BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R Superbike Rider runs away from cops, then posts video clarification

Just reminded me of the flashed ECU R1 biker who rode at 300KMPH on Electronic City Flyover in Bengaluru, and then posted a boasting video on social media.

From my personal experience as a rider: if you wear MC gears riding a sports bike, one blame comes by default: Over speeding! Even though you probably did not. After market mufflers/full system comes next. The liter class super bikes hardly use the stock exhaust. Its bulky and not attractive aesthetically. (I kept my stock exhausts, though Yoshimura looked very tempting )

This individual did a lot of violations and had the cheeks to upload his rationale in social media. If you can afford a bike worth more than 10 lakhs, price for track days should not pinch you! (wasn't it obvious when he bought the liter class bike? ) The police throwing the traffic cone is quiet serious as well. Had the biker been in high speed, it would have destabilized him leading to a crash. Book them both!

Could not quiet understand few individuals asking questions on "If you have all papers and have not done anything wrong", why fear? On paper, yes, nothing to fear, but alas we are not in an Utopian world. On ground, it can a whole different story based on circumstances. Yes, you can contest with the policemen and ask them to put up a court case, use CCTV, etc. but not without losing your mind on how do people in authority act inappropriately. And once you are bitten, you will be twice shy later on(but definitely not on the extent of not stopping at a check post!).

Last edited by nkishore_007 : 10th September 2020 at 17:27.
nkishore_007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 22:59   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakirank View Post
Came across this news of superbike riders dodging cops and then posting a video on Youtube to explain the churlish logic behind their action.

The rider blatantly ignores the cops asking him to pull over and then has the audacity to blame the cops for hitting him with a traffic cone in their attempt to stop him!

He is lucky the cops did not undertake more serious measures to stop him as they would have no idea as to the intentions of the riders. The riders could be criminals and not stopping for cops is an offense.

2 bikers dodge the cops while the 3rd is stopped. According to the 3rd rider the cops put a gun to his head and asked him to call the other 2 riders to come back, but finally let go of him after he paid 2K.

Was all this required if the fine to be paid was 2k? And from when did superbike riders become poor?

https://www.cartoq.com/kawasaki-ninj...-escapes-cops/

https://Youtu.be/sChvAJ7OnWY
What he did is absolutely wrong!

And I being one from Delhi has seen this guy ride, he rides like a maniac on road, he is not just a problem but a threat to many other's.

We all ride fast, we know and we understand the risks.
But this kind of riding is outrageous.

Just because of Idiots like this, the police gets to stop all other's also, who may be out for ride/drive on sunday!

Also the govt/police does harass you once in a while stopping, but then If you have all the papers, they can't do anything to you!
Let alone fine you.

I always wanted to point out if our speed-limits are 40 and will be the same for the next decade, why allow powerful cars to be advertised and sold and collect taxes.

Becho hi sirf maruti, or Nano. We'll always be in limits.
Govt is the first to take taxes on SBK's and Cars
contact.nitin7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 15:18   #79
BHPian

You guys are riding superbikes that costs Lakhs of bucks and doesn't even know basic rules that prevail in the country. It's a shame. How do the cops know your identity unless you explain to them ? You may be terrorists, naxals, wanted criminals...how the hell do the law enforcement guys are supposed to know without verifying your identity ? May be some law breaker is on the run and the cops are there to stop him. We all get stopped by police, RTO and other enforcement agencies on the road. Are we supposed to do this in every such situation ? Remember , you loose your mental peace for nothing if you get busted.
Old 12th September 2020, 09:37   #80
BHPian

To all those who have a little sympathy with this biker,
check out what he did few months ago.

Totalled a car, don't know risking how many precious lives.

I will just leave it here.

Old 12th September 2020, 21:05   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakirank View Post
Came across this news of superbike riders dodging cops and then posting a video on Youtube to explain the churlish logic behind their action.

The rider blatantly ignores the cops asking him to pull over and then has the audacity to blame the cops for hitting him with a traffic cone in their attempt to stop him!
This guy is truly an idiot of the highest order. It's a shame that India is filled with a significant number of these morons with big bikes who bring a bad name to the entire biking community. 20k likes for his video on Youtube with 2k dislikes. Seems Darwin's Survival of fittest theory has long stopped being valid in the world.

On top of it he claims about buying an Sbk worth 15 - 20L, importing parts after paying customs and taxes from different parts of the world. Yet the poor chap can't afford track days because it is too expensive.
Old 13th September 2020, 00:23   #82
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Seems to me that the bike riders, specially the exotic bike riders are truly a bretheren in all ways, I've seen many YouTube videos where for more views they :

1) Zig zag, honk and slither through gaps while harassing law abiding motorists.

2) Copious amounts of expletives while riding, to other motorists, specially videos based out of NCR.

3) Making a total mockery out of law & order, road rules and police, let's face it I'm no fan of police or governments or anything that is dictatorial, but the max speed in India shouldn't cross 80 kph, be it a Ninja, a KTM or a Ferrari, the 3rd world Indian roads aren't meant for such vehicles at all.

Now we have forum members recommending that overspeeding and rash driving with proper safety gear should not be given a second look by anyone, specially the police and also of crossing the red light to escape police harassment.

Governments should encourage construction of racing tracks in all metros to begin with, so that people who are addicted to the adrenaline rush of speed can get their fix there. I personally hate riding and have the least respect for riders who necessarily feel that they are entitled to do everything just because they spent a couple of million on a bike, now let the brickbats fall upon this post.
What this dunce did in this video is absolutely unpardonable. Overspeeding, not abiding to a lawful order and inciting others through his video. Shows his (lack of) civic sense.

However, I am really surprised to see this kind of an opinion in this forum and that too from a distinguished bhpian.

You sir, might have a personal dislike (hate in your words) for riding but that gives you no right to tar all riders with the same brush. Would you consider it justified if I were to say all luxury car owners are spoilt brats or that all SUV owners are undesirable elements? (apologies to respective owners, just quoting this as an example) If your only exposure to bikers is through YouTube videos, I can't help you much there.

I have been riding (serious riding) for over 10 years in India and abroad and can proudly state that bikers as a whole are largely responsible citizens to the extent of helping out people in need.

By the way, there's indeed a certain brotherhood in biking which is conspicuous amongst drivers of four wheeled vehicles and nothing wrong with it. What matters is what you do with it.
handsofsteel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 01:49   #83
BHPian

I have seen and experienced cops harassing bikers for no reason, that too for some money.
Once a cop literally said to me, "you people ride such expensive bikes what will happen if you give us some money!" .
I used to ride a HH Hunk back then. Equipped with a LS2 helmet, riding gloves and knee guard (probably giving out a wrong impression about HH Hunk being a super bike or something.)

So I just wanted to hear what this guy had to say in the entire video.

Some notable points:
1. Rides bike with out RC - Illegal even for a Scooty.
2. He does a flyby on the cops - Smart (Sarcasm).
3. Rides an an insane speed of 150 on public road.
4. Thinks running away from cops is a good way to avoid them.
5. Can afford a 20L bike, but not a trackday.
6. Makes a video about this fuss.

Well, what more to talk about this guy.

Thankyou for spoiling it more for us.
iamahunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 22:34   #84
BHPian

Somehow, I feel that our extra attention has earned this superbike dude quite a reasonable amount of money, seeing how he was promoting a rummy app of some kind.

Did we realise we're making him a hero? or at least contributing to his earnings?

That's the thing with rule breakers- both likers and haters make them big together...
Samarth 619 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 19:46   #85
Senior - BHPian

I think it is wise to stop, pay the fine or talk it out, rather than dodging, and getting killed by the very same cops. For cops, it's job as usual, but for us, it's different. I think cops and superbikes have become something sort of an Indian-Paki dispute. Seems all okay, but deep down, everything is infested with the worst possible intentions.

Indeed, we do get harassed every now and then, but it's just about being patient and talking it out, than being a "nincompoop" and then justifying it. My two cents though.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 16:38   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
.......... I personally hate riding and have the least respect for riders who necessarily feel that they are entitled to do everything just because they spent a couple of million on a bike, now let the brickbats fall upon this post.
In higher education, this error of judgment you made is called "Stereotyping".

There's nothing to be shameful about stereotyping, or nothing that deserves brickbats, don't worry.
Because, everyone including our politicians do the same all the time. Take the below line:-

" All ____________ are a******s/ criminals/ rule breakers/ bullies. "

Now, in this dash, you can add anything but no matter what, it would be wrong.

You can write bikers, superbikers, cagers, supercagers, SUVcagers, private motorists, businessmen, politicians, doctors, teachers, rich people, poor people, voters, muslims, hindus, dalits, employees, employers, etc, etc, etc...

But like I said in the beginning, the statement itself would be wrong, because in no group or profession or identity are all people bad. However, stereotyping is a strong tool for Politicians for associating people's grievance with a particular group (allegedly) responsible for it.

The educational society must stand against stereotyping, because its against facts and raises discrimination..
No really, an apology is not needed if that's what you're thinking, I insist that you don't apologise at all. We're all brothers, no sorry, no thank you is the rule.
Samarth 619 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 01:13   #87
BHPian

I chanced upon this thread when I was looking for a ZX10R review. I completely agree that the police, almost 70% of them look to make a quick buck. I love to see their crestfallen faces when they see I have all the documents. I did not follow what that guy in the video was saying, but throwing a traffic cone is goondaism outright. Even in the US, they would flash their sirens, throw the nail barricades to blow the wheels out in case you do not stop.

Regarding how they stop us for checking, it is nuts how they tend to stop you at times. before the stop only for visible offences directive from Ravikanthe Gowda came in, they would jump from a tree on the middle divider, take away the keys, on the nayandahalli flyover.

On the Sumanahalli flyover, they suddenly come onto the middle of the road not fearing the other cars who are doing the legal 60 kmph. They could die if the other cars brakes failed and rammed into them. They have a radar gun and can bill it to the car number like how they do in MH with the car photo.

Most Viewed