Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2020, 00:21   #76
BHPian

Re: Unsafe practices of modern car & bike owners

Drivers I always keep a safe distance from:
  • Guys who don't stick to one lane: Driving with one set of wheels in one lane and the other set in the adjacent lane
  • Guys who drive with the ORVMs closed
  • Cars with a political flag in front (Maybe TN specific)
  • New generation motorcycle riders who remove the mirrors (RE Classic etc) or fold them inwards (R15 etc)
Driving practices I abhor
  • Autorickshaw guys making impromptu U Turns making other break hard
  • Right side indicator as a message that it is safe to pass - However there is no way to know if he's meaning it that way or if he wants to make a right turn!
  • Two 2 wheelers riding adjacently at a slow pace talking to each other
Geo_Ipe is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 10:57   #77
BHPian

Pune is famous for two wheelers driving on the footpath. I couldn't believe it until i saw myself. They just drive as if it is common everywhere.
jalanrishikesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 09:52   #78
BHPian

One trend that I have been observing in recent times here in Mumbai is that whenever I intend to change lane and accordingly activate the lane change indicator, the vehicle which otherwise is far behind on the new lane to be occupied, suddenly accelerates as though he / she is in a race with me to leap ahead and create unwanted confusion. Try changing the lanes without activating the indicator, they drive normally without racing. Ridiculous.

Another thing that is quite prevalent in Mumbai is that whenever I intend to turn like say left for instance and I have already occupied the left most lane and activated the corresponding left turn indicator, bikers from behind from now start attempting to overtake from my left thereby blocking my turning maneuver in the middle of the junction. Strange.

And yes how can one forget those few famous BMTC buses which occpy the left lane at a traffic junction and activate left turn indicator and once the signal goes green, they actually turn RIGHT.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 14th December 2020 at 09:57.
King_pin09 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 10:10   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samee_arian View Post
Pulsar 220 riders and Yamaha R1 riders come to my mind, don't know why they fold their rear view mirrors inside, not sure if it offers any reduced drag or extra performance, but surely a safety hazard.
I ride a Pulsar RS200, with both the mirrors intact. I distinctly remember the dealer asking me if I wanted them removed at the time of delivery . I stated riding an Access 125 during my college days and that too with both the mirrors intact while all my friends at that time suggested that I do away with it. The reason being, it is easy to filter in and out of traffic without having to worry about them bumping into others and "for looks" . Goes without saying, after 10 years worth of driving/riding, I simply cannot ride or drive without all the mirrors. Too scary, it's like driving/riding blind for me.
akash.1318 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 13:51   #80
BANNED

These are some unsafe habits of drivers which I see everyday on roads :-

1. Not wearing seatbelts
2. Not using child seats
3. Talking on phone/texting while driving
4. Not following traffic signals
5. Bad lane discipline
6. Driving on the wrong side of the road
7. Not using the mirrors(ORVMs folded)
8. Following a vehicle too closely(Tailgating)
9. Unnecessary use of high beam
10.Improper use of hazard lights
11.Driving when tired
12.Driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs

If you find such instances on road, keep distance from them.
ButterRider 7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 18:07   #81

I live in Ludhiana and I find shared autos the most frustrating on the road, for multiple reasons;
1. They'll brake just about anywhere, as soon as a customer waves them down. There's no warning, nothing. Just stop. And rejoining traffic is the same, they'll just merge with no warning, no indicators, no rearview, if you aren't vigilant, you'll end up as a passenger inside that auto

2. None of their lights usually work, which usually means, no rear lamps, no indicators, nothing, nada. Some even drive blind in the dark.

3. They have annoying iron angles welded at all possible points so even if you do hit them, maximum damage is to your own vehicle. Very very frustrating
Aneesh13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 23:17   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Unsafe practices of modern car & bike owners-5fc919a2dafc4b938db4bfec887c9760.jpeg

This picture was taken in Calcutta in one of the main arterial roads. It is not only unsafe, it is almost cruel to the kids. Unfortunately, this happened within 50 metres of a police station nearby but with no policeman to apprehend this
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 02:24   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Drivers I always keep a safe distance from:[*]Cars with a political flag in front (Maybe TN specific)
I maintain a safe distance from these buffoons, in all states. These cars routinely sport dark tinted windows, loud horns and use the political flag/ leader's image as an insurance policy! Quite appalling really.
Old 14th August 2021, 08:15   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterRider 7 View Post
These are some unsafe habits of drivers which I see everyday on roads :-

1. Not wearing seatbelts
2. Not using child seats
3. Talking on phone/texting while driving
4. Not following traffic signals
5. Bad lane discipline
6. Driving on the wrong side of the road
7. Not using the mirrors(ORVMs folded)
8. Following a vehicle too closely(Tailgating)
9. Unnecessary use of high beam
10.Improper use of hazard lights
11.Driving when tired
12.Driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs

If you find such instances on road, keep distance from them.
To add to the list:

13. Turning from side roads into main roads without checking if any vehicles are approaching. I have seen two wheelers doing this a lot. Slow down near side roads.
14. Public buses stopping in middle of road instead of at side, and people rushing to get in/out of them, or getting out when bus is in motion. Be careful behind public buses
15. Majority of people don't know concept of being careful during blind curves. I have lost count of people in cars/trucks/two wheelers trying to overtake at curves from wrong side without being able to see if anyone is coming in opp side or not. Be careful near curves to watch out for imbecile drivers
sanchari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 11:27   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Hey, he's wearing a helmet and the wife is wearing a mask. How dare you say they're not following rules?

Cheers
tilt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 23:56   #86

Sadly - Our policemen will not even react to this or take action.
I have come across similar situations where the policeman simply looks through them.
The Law and Order cops - Khaki wala - simply says its not within his jurisdiction - and it should be handled by the traffic cops - White shirt wala.
The Traffic guy - says it did not happen in his line of sight - so............

One watches videos of policemen in the US and Europe - where even off duty policemen react to traffic violations and take action.

Here - we only want to pass the buck - Or - "Jaane do saab, gareeb aadmi hai. Aap bade log car mein baith ke humare bare mein kya jaanate ho"
Old 24th October 2022, 14:55   #87
BHPian

Saw this yesterday in peak city traffic.
Steering is actually controlled by the kid sitting on the adult's lap.
Attached Thumbnails
Unsafe practices of modern car & bike owners-1image.jpeg  

bivision is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed