Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2020, 17:39   #31

Re: Mobiles phones now allowed only for Navigation while driving

Switch off phones or put them in Do Not Disturb mode while driving (iPhone does that automatically when it detects that your are driving) and get offlike navigation systems like Garmin or TomTom to avoid any confusion with the cops
vroom_vroom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 19:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker48
Why no law for pedestrians who walk on roads with earphones plugged into their ears?
Sir. MV Act and CMVR is for vehicles and it is these two legal statutes which has got amended. There could be other legal provisions against people who cause problems on road. Asking why some thing else is not done, when dealing with one's own comfort zone getting busted is a very common phenomenon, and so we cannot blame any one for that. Pick pockets routinely complain that they are easy prey, while they say rapists are roaming around free. Rapists insists that all murderers have to be caught and imprisoned and then the police should come to them.

Quote:
This is why people have scant regard for laws in India as these laws are incomplete, illogical and impractical.
When it comes to the Motor Vehicle Act, I don't think so. I say this from the queue which I saw in front of the PUC Certificate issuing centers after the last MV Act amendment (in 2019). That is because the fines had been increased to a high level. In Kerala now very many people wear helmets, and this was after a sustained campaign by the enforcement agencies. I know a person who insisted that he will never wear a helmet. Two petty cases in five days flat, he changed his opinion. Same goes for drunken driving which was becoming a social menace in KL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
Switch off phones or put them in Do Not Disturb mode while driving (iPhone does that automatically when it detects that your are driving) and get offlike navigation systems like Garmin or TomTom to avoid any confusion with the cops
That is the most logical thing to do. Or else there has to be a group of like minded individuals who should join hands and try to approach the courts asking them to make the CMVR amendment invalid. But they must also remember, the ban on sun films was not by a law made in the Parliament but based on a Supreme court order .
sachinpk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 20:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

I have the phone in my pant pocket with the BT on. So listen to songs as I drive and though I can take, I usually cut calls and call back on reaching my destination, urban grind throw surprises and we need to be prepared. I think he enforcement is in the right direction.
Old 6th October 2020, 23:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

As long as you can perform certain functions like calling & playing music with voice commands, why shouldn't you be allowed to do that?

For a change, why doesn't MoRTH mandate an exhaustive theory test before licensing for all drivers? (Of course, with rulebooks in vernacular languages)
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 12:15   #35
BHPian

I was once returning from Office. As usual I had the bluetooth connected and playing some songs. It is a long drive in office hours from Hinjewadi to Katraj and soothing music is a pre-requisite to keeping sane.

So anyway I was humming along and just as I passed a signal, a traffic policeman got on his bike, followed me and stopped me some distance ahead of the signal. He had stopped his bike right next to the driver door. So I rolled the window down and asked him "Kai zala saheb ?" ( what seems to be the problem, sir).

He told me that I was speaking on the phone while driving and now I will have to pay the fine. I denied the charge and told him that he must be mistaken. Still he was adamant that he had seen me speaking on my phone. As a last resort (and seeing that the argument was going nowhere) I handed him my phone and asked him to check the call records.

The policeman did go through the records and the last call was me informing I had left from office which was around half an hour ago. Finally he gave up and left but not before giving me a warning that listening to music while driving is also a distraction and that I should avoid it.
Old 7th October 2020, 12:55   #36
BHPian

Will the new cars have the call via bluetooth option disabled? Cant imagine the situation if I have to stop and attend every call as I cannot miss my customer calls because that's my bread. Or I stop driving and employ a driver?

What's the vision of our current law makers and where are they taking this country to? I don't think such rules exist in any country around the globe.
Old 7th October 2020, 14:40   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I have the phone in my pant pocket with the BT on. So listen to songs as I drive and though I can take, I usually cut calls and call back on reaching my destination, urban grind throw surprises and we need to be prepared. I think he enforcement is in the right direction.
While, I agree with your sentiment of avoiding calls during driving, I still don't agree that it should be enforced just because some police officer interprets it that way. The right direction would be to provide further clarity by the government on this.

According, to the amendment even listening to songs via bluetooth connection from one's mobile can be deemed illegal as nothing is mentioned about it in the law.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks