Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2020, 14:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

2020 Toyota Innova scores 5-stars in ASEAN NCAP crash tests

The 2020 Toyota Innova has been awarded a 5-star safety rating by the ASEAN NCAP.

2020 Toyota Innova scores 5-stars in ASEAN NCAP crash tests-20201019061818_2020toyotainnovacrystaaseanncapfront.jpg

The Innova scored 45.90 points for adult occupant protection, 21.51 points for child occupant protection and 15.28 points for Safety Assist Tests, for a total score of 82.69 points.

In the ASEAN markets, the Innova is offered with a 2.0-litre petrol engine that produces 137 BHP and 183 Nm. The pre-facelift version of the Innova was used for the crash tests. The test car was equipped with 2 airbags, ABS with EBD and ESP as well as seat belt reminders for the front seats.

In India, the Innova Crysta is available with 2.7-litre petrol and 2.4-litre diesel engine options. In terms of safety equipment, the car sold in India comes with 3 airbags as standard.

Earlier this month, ASEAN NCAP had also released the crash test report for the 2021 Toyota Fortuner.
TusharK is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 14:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2020 Toyota Innova scores 5-stars in ASEAN NCAP crash tests

I won't read too much into this because for one the Innova tested uses a 2.0 petrol engine and also is a Thai spec model. So obviously the front crash test performance will vary with the 2.4 diesel engine that our market gets.

And second, we all know that global manufacturers many a times remove chassis strengthening members in India spec cars so as to achieve cost reduction and yet make their cars pass our watered down Bharat NCAP tests.

So unless and until a made in India Innova or any other car for that matter is tested by foreign NCAPs I will take these results with a pinch of salt.
ram87pune is online now   (34) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 15:10   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
I won't read too much into this because for one the Innova tested uses a 2.0 petrol engine and also is a Thai spec model. So obviously the front crash test performance will vary with the 2.4 diesel engine that our market gets.

And second, we all know that global manufacturers many a times remove chassis strengthening members in India spec cars so as to achieve cost reduction and yet make their cars pass our watered down Bharat NCAP tests.

So unless and until a made in India Innova or any other car for that matter is tested by foreign NCAPs I will take these results with a pinch of salt.
+1. We now know that Indian vehicles are de-specced by manufacturers, to meet "local norms". And the test results of foreign spec models cannot be extrapolated for Indian spec version of the same models. I hope we can see the test results of the Indian spec Innova soon.
JediKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 16:10   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I won't read too much into this
Considering the made-in-India Etios got 4 stars in the Global NCAP, I'll give the benefit of doubt to Toyota in this case. The company has shown its seriousness toward safety.
GTO is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 17:45   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Safety kit is also nearly identical across markets and comprises ABS, ESC and seatbelt reminders for the driver and front passengers as standard. However, for Cambodia, Vietnam, Myanmar and Laos, the Innova get seven airbags, while the version on sale in Indonesia gets seven only in higher variants; the entry-level model gets two.

ASEAN NCAP had crash tested the second-gen Innova back in 2016, but then it had achieved a 4-star rating. At the time, the MPV didn't come with ESC as standard, which was why it did not qualify for the highest rating.

Do note that these results have no direct bearing on the Toyota Innova Crysta made and on sale in India. While the MPV here is similar in most aspects to the car on sale in ASEAN countries, we get a 166hp, 2.7-litre petrol and a 150hp, 2.4-litre diesel engine option, and our entry-level Innova Crysta GX variant gets three airbags as standard.
ASEAN NCAP has tested the 2 airbag version, some countries get 7 airbags standard and we get a 3 airbag version along-with the 7 airbags in the top-trim, so results can definitely vary.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 20th October 2020 at 18:03. Reason: As DicKy mentioned BS6 Innova already gets ESP so deleted my last line.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 17:51   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.... the Innova tested uses a 2.0 petrol engine and also is a Thai spec model..... global manufacturers many a times remove chassis strengthening members in India spec cars so as to achieve cost reduction....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
+1. We now know that Indian vehicles are de-specced by manufacturers, to meet "local norms"....
Guess they used the 2.0 petrol version as it is the cheapest variant. The same reason why the 2015 Innova got 4 stars as the base model didn't have ESC/ESP then, while the top variant got 5 stars.

Toyota would be one of the few manufacturers to trust not to water down the models for each market.
If at all they de-spec or water down for a particular market, the result would be like the Etios.
Decent safety and strong mechanicals, but everything else pretty average or even below average.

But then, playing the devil's advocate. With them in bed with Maruti and proudly stating they are learning to cut costs from their partner, kinda puts question marks on the future collaboration products...

Edit: @ CEF_Beasts - Guess the Innova Crysta already has ESP as standard. Atleast from the BS6 revision.

Last edited by DicKy : 20th October 2020 at 17:56.
DicKy is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 22:15   #7
BHPian

2020 Toyota Innova scores 5-stars in ASEAN NCAP crash tests

This is good. I expect this from Toyota bread and butter in India. I always believed Innova as as a safer car compared to others at any given time. I know because my family survived a highway divider jump, head on collision with Wagon R and roll over in Gen 1 Innova. Seatbelts helped and airbags deployed. Every one walked out without a scratch.

Though I dont like the way Toyota is going in India, Innova scoring 5 stars (India spec or not) is good to know since most of us use it as universal long distance cab.

Last edited by tazmaan : 20th October 2020 at 22:17.
tazmaan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 22:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Considering the made-in-India Etios got 4 stars in the Global NCAP, I'll give the benefit of doubt to Toyota in this case. The company has shown its seriousness toward safety.
But we are also forgetting the numerous cases of airbags not deploying in crashes in Fortuners and Innovas. Globally too, Toyota's supplier Takata had several recalls.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 22:58   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
But we are also forgetting the numerous cases of airbags not deploying in crashes in Fortuners and Innovas. Globally too, Toyota's supplier Takata had several recalls.
Takata supplies to several car manufacturers world wide including Honda, Ford, Mazda among others all of whom were affected. Let's not cherry pick to make a point.
R2D2 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 08:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Takata supplies to several car manufacturers world wide including Honda, Ford, Mazda among others all of whom were affected. Let's not cherry pick to make a point.
While Takata supplies many companies it was only Toyota in India that had airbag issues. They didn't open when the cars crashed!

On the other hand, Toyota have taken many steps that others don't e.g. three point seatbelts for rear middle passenger, all safety features available even on base/mid level trims, etc.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 09:02   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
While Takata supplies many companies it was only Toyota in India that had airbag issues. They didn't open when the cars crashed!
These are 2 different problems:

a) Airbags not opening is an issue that has been discussed in detail on T-BHP and most of us are none the wiser why that happened with Toyota not confirming anything officially IIRC.

b) Most importantly Takata airbags were recalled because of the possibility of metal fragments from the explosive inflator device seriously injuring or killing the driver or passenger(s). My car has had both its airbags and/or inflators replaced in this recall. I believe every car manufacturer that used these airbags had to do a recall of the affected vehicles.

Quote:
On the other hand, Toyota have taken many steps that others don't e.g. three point seatbelts for rear middle passenger, all safety features available even on base/mid level trims, etc.
Yes, a 3 point restraint for the rear middle passenger is a great thing. Toyota has screwed up in some places and has made amends from what I note, including the infamous unintended acceleration issue about 10 years ago. They are not perfect but then heck no car manufacturer making millions of cars and scores of different models ever is.

The important thing is one of their products scores 5 stars in the ASEAN NCAP crash test which itself is an indication they are on the right track about passenger safety. I believe the Etios too did well, a 4 star IIRC.

Last edited by R2D2 : 21st October 2020 at 09:14. Reason: typo
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 09:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

TBH, not too surprised. During the later years, Toyota made airbags standard in every variant of the previous Innova, showing their commitment to safety. Ironically, their highest-selling car (Innova) was the model to get D+P airbags and ABS as standard across variants.
Quote:
I won't read too much into this because for one the Innova tested uses a 2.0 petrol engine and also is a Thai spec model.
As GTO says, Toyota can be given the benefit of doubt. But I do agree that the Indian version should be tested to come to any definite conclusion.

A note on Takata's airbags: The tens (or 100s?) of million defective airbags are supplied by Takata to various manufacturers including Ford, Mazda, and Honda. My 2012 Fusion (in the US) for a recall notice only in 2020. Considering that Indian regulators are far laxer compared to NHTSA in the US, it'll be a while before defective airbags of all cars are fixed.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 22nd October 2020 at 09:13.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed