Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2020, 19:41   #151
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos, Grand i10 Nios and Maruti S-Presso crash tested! Disappointing results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeraj1903 View Post
That's why top end Nexon,Tigor and Altroz were crash tested whereas the base variants of XUV300(which still scored 5 star rating) and Seltos were tested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Global NCAP picks the lowest variant when it picks up models from the market for testing. These cars are usually picked up from the showrooms.
My understanding is that Global NCAP prefers the base trim of highest selling variant. For eg: Xuv300 W8(O) was supposed to be highest selling variant and hence they picked W8 (not the optional trim) for crash test (2 airbags +standard alloy wheel as seen in crash pics only available in W8).
Had M&M named W8(O) as W10, I am guessing they would have gone with this 7 airbag one.

Last edited by Vijin : 11th November 2020 at 19:47.
Old 11th November 2020, 19:47   #152
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos, Grand i10 Nios and Maruti S-Presso crash tested! Disappointing results!

From the test of Seltos can we infer that Creta would also be near about in terms of safety? Because of the similar platform or it would fare differently. I'm very curious
Old 11th November 2020, 19:51   #153
Senior - BHPian

re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

My sincere request to Team BHP mods & reviewers is to include a one liner on iffy safety ratings of vehicles from such manufacturers in every product review that goes up. This is similar to generalisation that Tata/ Mahindra ASS is not upto the mark & there can be niggles.

At least, readers who refer TBHP reviews learn what money pit they are throwing their hard earned money in.
CARDEEP is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 19:53   #154
BHPian

re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

Sheer disappointment.

Here is the hypocrisy of Auto manufacturers:
ANCAP tested Australian Kia Seltos. It passed with 5 stars

Indian spec barely scores 3 stars. Surely all car makers (except Tata and Mahindra) think Indians don't deserve to drive safe. Just stuff-in all the features possible, and sell tin cans. Shameful.

In free market it is the consumer who has to accept or reject products. So, let consumers give an apt response. People must realise that they have to live long enough to experience all those nice features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klgiridhar View Post
Statement from Maruti Suzuki India as tweeted by Sirish Chandran just now.

Seems they are happy to direct the entire blame on govt & wash their hands off. I feel the government is equally responsible for adopting and maintaining such sub-standard regulations.
Maruti can throw the responsibility on the govt, and govt can throw the responsibility on God. Even today, the top safety feature on automobiles is the Nimbu/Mirchi tied to the car.

Last edited by manjunathkl : 11th November 2020 at 20:01. Reason: Typo
manjunathkl is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 19:53   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I feel in isolation 3* isn't too bad a score.

A quick list of Indian cars tested by GNCAP which scored more than 0 stars.
3 stars is misleading in this case. If you sort the ratings by AOP, Seltos (8.03) is worse than all the below cars -
  • RENAULT KWID (IV) - DRIVER AIRBAG - 8.28
  • Datsun REDIGO - DRIVER AIRBAG - 8.36
  • RENAULT DUSTER - DRIVER AIRBAG - 9.00

Taken in isolation, the driver of a 21L Kia Seltos gets less adult occupation protection than the Renault Kwid or Datsun Redigo.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (73) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 19:57   #156
BHPian

Ok now that we know the safety ratings of the Seltos & Nios, I wonder how many bhpians who own these would like to sell their cars. Maybe we should have voting for this issue.
Unless the customers start prioritising safety over features, mileage, etc this will continue.

Every month we come up with the sales charts and get impressed by Maruti selling the highest number of cars. Nobody talks about the unsafe cars in that list. Maybe some of us have gotten used to such unsafe cars.
CarNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 19:59   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Folks who are underwhelmed about the 3* rating of Seltos, please consider this as well:

Adult Occupation Protection Score between 5 & 8 is 2 stars
Adult Occupation Protection Score between 8 & 11 is 3 stars

Seltos scored 8.03 out of maximum of 17 for Adult Occupation Protection. So, just about 3 stars
This makes me wonder whether Kia did the bare minimum to be able to score 3 stars? Not sure whether it is possible to engineer to such precision. That money could have been better spent making a safer car.

I always thought the new gen Hyundais especially the Creta and Verna are solidly build and expected the same from i20 as well. Utterly disappointed with this report. Altroz should easily be the no.1 choice in this segment especially with the launch of the turbo petrol.
anandhsub is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 20:04   #158
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolheadRup View Post

the new i20, Venue and Sonet based on the same K1 platform.
I request you not to make statements that are false and misleading.

The Venue, Sonet and i20 CANNOT be built on the K1 platform. The large 1.5 U2 CRDi engine simply cannot be accommodated in the small K1 platform!

The Indian Venue (QXi) is built on the K2 platform, which is the same as the international Venue (QX). However, there are differences between the two in terms of the strength of steel used for some members.

The new i20 for India is also built on the K2 platform, according to Hyundai. I have no reason to disbelieve them, as it's just IMPOSSIBLE to build the i20 on the K1 platform.

Please go through this post:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4890905

-------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

I really don't want it to be a personal attack, reminds me of a member here, who had vehemently argued for Hyundai Indian models having the same platform as international ones (by that stretch Kia too) and had given chassis blueprints as evidence in a separate thread.
I firmly stand by my post, and I'm very proud to have smashed to smithereens mighty myths (that were repeated a thousand times) about the platform the Indian Venue is built on.

I'm equally proud to be the one to have exposed the differences in the strength of steel of some members between the Indian Venue (QXi) and the international Venue (QX), both of which are built on the same platform. Yes, same platform!

Last edited by GTO : 12th November 2020 at 10:15. Reason: Please keep it polite, civil & respectful, even when in disagreement.
RSR is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 20:05   #159
BHPian

A thing that came to my mind, in the video the Seltos has ribbed roof which has more bending strength than the one equipped with sunroof or panoramic sunroof (especially creta sx variant, 2 airbag + pano sunroof). Would those variants get lower safety ratings than the variant tested?
YD14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 20:08   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babruvahanaaaaa View Post
The much more frightening thing about the Seltos is that the bodyshell integrity has been rated as unstable. Disappointing, to the say the least. The six airbag variant may fare better, but we have seen cars with 2 airbags acing the 5 star mark.
Don't think so, when the structure itself is unstable airbags won't help. They are supplementary to the seat belts and the body structure.
nsbhagwat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 20:14   #161
BHPian

I have a simple question, how can there be difference in safety protocol, the Bharat NCAP is an eyewash if a car which gets 0 in global NCAP can be passed. The laws can't be so much different. Humans are same world over
terra85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 20:16   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post

With Maruti, Mahindra & Tata we already know it. Although Mahindra have tested just XUV3OO in recent times. Would like to see how the new Scorpio and XUV5OO fare next year.
Don't hold your breath. Mahindras only crash tested car is a rebranded Korean car.
The Scorpio fared worse a few years ago and nothing has changed structurally since.
The XUV is aiming for Creta mid variant pricing so it will also be compromised.

I'm surprised people mention Mahindra when talking of safety. They sell a load of Boleros each month and anyone who has been in one can tell you its about as safe as an Alto.

Would also like to see Ncap test the Harrier now and hope that test is performed randomly from a dealer lot as opposed to manufacturers sending Ncap the mules.

Logic would dictate the XUV and Harrier and Hexa should safely clear the 5 star requirement considering their cheaper models did it. But will the results be that straightforward is anybodys guess.
Nithesh_M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 20:16   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post

The Indian Venue (QXi) is built on the K2 platform, same as the international Venue (QX). However, there are differences between the two in terms of the strength of steel used for some members.
Thank for the details on the K2 platform. So does the current gen Creta and Seltos also share the same platform? (Apart from Verna,i20,Venue and Sonet)?
Old 11th November 2020, 20:16   #164
BHPian

The 3 stars is definitely unexpected for a car that costs 20L on road. Keen to see how Kia PR spins this or shoves it under the carpet.
caffeineAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 20:30   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra85 View Post
I have a simple question, how can there be difference in safety protocol, the Bharat NCAP is an eyewash if a car which gets 0 in global NCAP can be passed. The laws can't be so much different. Humans are same world over
Well, this was expected. Why else would Maruti release a statement emphasizing the Indian government role in ensuring safety of Indian citizens and then cite our awesome (/s) homegrown Euro-NCAP equivalent crash test standards?
JithinR is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed