Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2020, 21:45   #181

re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
With leaders, as people say "you get what you deserve", the same is case with cars in India. Indians deserve 2nd class treatment as they (most) only care about looks and buys cars to satisfy their ego
What an apt way to summarize the Indian Politics and the auto industry scene.

IMHO the news will do rounds on TeamBHP and other such forums meant for enthusiasts. The PR agencies will manage the spread outside of the forum and the show will go on.
Maruti's unsafe products were exposed long back by GNCAP, but close to 50% buyers still opt for a Maruti because it ticks important parameters and safety is not one of them. Another thread on TeamBHP was discussing the might of Kia/Hynudai and how they could dethrone Maruti. With this GNCAP reveal, for sure they are following in leader's footstep About a decade back, Honda had a safety-first policy when all their models came with dual airbags as standard. With advent of made-for-India products like Brio & Amaze, that policy (and probably the people advocating it) went out of the window.

Consumers should understand that the car companies in India have all the means to build safe cars. The motivation to actually build one comes from either the government (in form of strict legislation) or from the consumers (when they start considering safety aspect while making purchase decision)

Maruti can shirk and put the blame on government but we all now how they would lobby to resist any such change should the government choose to act in interest of consumers.

As a public forum, the responsibility is on us (and the mods) to make such safety ratings a prominent feature of the reviews and discussion. This should be a qualifying criteria for COTY awards! Let the truth prevail.
Kols is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 21:45   #182
Team-BHP Support

re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

This is definitely going to ruffle a few feathers at Kia's HQ. Man, I am now feeling guilty of recommending the top-end GTX+ DCT to one of our VPs who's otherwise very happy with the car now! :( Guess we've to now factor in safety aspects while recommending cars to our friends and relatives.

I've a newfound respect for Tata's cars now.
Gannu_1 is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 21:46   #183
Mik
BHPian

Thank God me (twice) and my friend dodged a bullet.
Last year I picked the Compass over the 'korean tin-can' Seltos while being fully convinced that it was a great buy.
Recently a friend picked the xuv300 over the Venue. Thank God he went against my recommendation.
Here I was, debating between the Venue/i20 and the Polo as wifeys car. Ah well
Mik is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 21:49   #184
BHPian

Been more than an hour since I saw this and still can't control my laugh. God help those who spent 20 Lacs on this considering it as a premium and safe car. I think even Hyundai and Kia would now stop sending their cars to NCAP just like maruti. Jokes aside I think it's high time people should start looking past gimmicky features and look at the engineering depth of the product.

P.S. No offence meant to the owners and admirers of vehicles of above mentioned companies.

Lowflyer23
Lowflyer23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 21:50   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post
We diss Maruti Suzuki so much wrt the safety of their cars but if you compare the Grand i10 Nios's ratings with Swift 2018's rating :-

Adult Occupant Safety
Swift - 7.08/17
Nios - 7.05/17

Child Safety
Swift - 16.23/49
Nios - 15/49

I have heard about a million times in reviews that Hyundai's sheet metal quality, "door thud" etc is way better than MS but these ratings show the reality.

)
It means Hyundai at least try to confuse the buyer into thinking their vehicle is better, credit where it's due maruti dont even try
terra85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 21:51   #186
Senior - BHPian

Cross posting from a closed thread.

Seltos with 3 stars: Though a lot of comments are coming in on the base model being tested, but that is how it is done.

What's even more shocking is that the report states that the structure and footwell area were both slightly 'unstable', and that the bodyshell was not capable of 'withstanding further loadings' during the impact.

So the base model theory goes out of the window even if the car has other safety features like 6 airbags etc..as the structure itself is rated unstable. Not sure if they would have improved the structure for the top spec models? Maybe the fancy Led lights at the front might help.

The child occupant ratings are even worse. Definitely not what I expect from Kia and they now have a hundred thousand on the road.

I have always wanted manufacturers to display their safety ratings on demo cars in the showrooms. Hope the government acts.

Wonder how many BHPians would have bought a Seltos had they known this rating?

Happy that Tata and Mahindra have shown their intent on safety . The top manufacturers in terms of volumes seem to have scant respect for safety.

So time to use your legs judiciously while braking and get them out of the way in a crash.:
Arjun Reddy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 21:55   #187
BHPian

The Seltos GNCAP result is definitely a shocker and an eye-opener. I am wondering how would it be if the government mandates GNCAP rating for every new car much like we have BEE star ratings for electrical products!
Time_Machine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 22:02   #188
BHPian

Pathetic!! Absolutely disheartening to know how a relatively new company (kia) is taking us Indians for granted!!

Shows how well these companies have understood the Indian market! Follow the lead seems to be the mantra!

TATA's mocking of Hyundai is pretty valid now!! The Altroz is truly a treat!! Beware folks for the trick with the new Hyundai i20!!!
vinair is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 22:09   #189
BHPian

After these disappointing results -

When does Mahindra come up with a diesel and/or petrol proper ATs?

Tata must smell the blood here and launch Nexon with DCT. With a few more added creature features, Nexon has all the potential to lead the fight back.
Col Mehta is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 22:09   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
So neither Kia or Hyundai cars can stop well in time nor protect us adequately if we crash.
In any developed country, the braking issue alone would have led to thousands of lawsuits and a recall. Now Kia puts a cherry on top of that cake with a compromised bodyshell.

In the words of a certain Mr. Alonso, what a yoke!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 22:09   #191
BHPian

Cross-posting my post from a closed thread on the same topic (Kia Seltos, Grand i10 Nios and Maruti S-Presso crash tested! Disappointing results!):
Quote:
Would also like to highlight that points scored by Seltos in Adult Protection are just enough to get the 3-star rating. The score of 8.03 is at the lowest end of 8.00 – 10.99 points needed for a 3-star rating.
The Child Protection rating does not fare any better either with 15 points being at the lower side of the 2-star spectrum of 13.00 – 24.99 points.

This is just sad how these manufacturers are taking the car buyers here for granted. After spending 15 lakhs plus on a car, this is just not acceptable.

PS: Attached the PDFs for the Assessment protocol followed by GNCAP (2017 version)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GNCAP Adult Occupant Assessment protocol.pdf (1.47 MB, 113 views)
File Type: pdf GNCAP Child Occupant Assessment protocol.pdf (1.31 MB, 108 views)
HR 16 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 22:10   #192
BANNED

Maruti jokers are blaming the government! When did the government say to build coffins with wheels? Take up a dictionary and go to words starting with ‘I’, get to word ‘Integrity’ and learn it’s meaning, write that 100 times daily and repeat the exercise for few days, then go to words ‘morals’, ‘conscience’, ‘values’ and ‘responsibility’. Tell that dinosaur R.C. Bhargava, that the cost of the dictionary is on me and try to leave the world as a respectable man rather than being a criminal who is responsible for killing fellow Indians.

Last edited by The Rationalist : 11th November 2020 at 22:15.
The Rationalist is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 22:15   #193
Senior - BHPian

Have Hyundai and Kia gone from average to worse? The 2015-16 Creta was tested by NCAP for Latin America in 2015 and it scored 4 stars. This was a made in India Creta and most reports say that this is the same car that Hyundai manufactured for India as well.

Secondly, the Elite i20 too was tested by GNCAP, apparently again the one made in India for South Africa and it scored 3 stars. Most reports again indicate that this is the same Elite i20 that the Indian market got.

However, instead of making things better from thereon, Hyundai seems to have taken 2 steps backwards. The Nios is based on the Santro K2 platform which also scored just 2 stars, so no surprise here. The Seltos on the other hand, is the same as the 2020 Creta, so are these 2020 new generation cars worse than the earlier ones made from 2015-2019?
Quite possible, the first Gen Creta was rumoured to be based on the fluidic Elantra platform and was even manufactured in the same factory as the Elantra and Tucson. So my guess is Hyundai must have done this at that time due to various reasons, possibly because they were exporting the same car to other markets etc. However they seem to have cut a lot of corners in the newer cars such as the Santro, Nios and even the Kia Seltos.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 22:17   #194
BHPian

Meanwhile Tata Motors flexing some muscles on Twitter.

Slightly OT but here goes :
I wonder what Tata have to say about the Harrier not having an official NCAP rating as most of their USP is now centered around safety. We've heard on this forum that the Harrier, if tested today is a 2 star vehicle owing to an issue in the engine firewall.
Attached Thumbnails
Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly-screenshot_20201111221217.jpg  

Last edited by Babruvahanaaaaa : 11th November 2020 at 22:44. Reason: Corrected grammar
Babruvahanaaaaa is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 22:29   #195
BHPian

This is on expected lines. Not sure why people are surprised here.
- Globally Kia is known for low cost cars and not safety
- No known history or initiative to make safe cars in India
- Its a Creta under the skin - I believe Hyundai had refused to disclose the weight of Creta when it was launched.
- They had also put fake Fake five star safety stickers on Indian i20

All Tell-tale signs of forgery and deceit. Knowing all this, we informed members voted it as Car of the Year. Common man on the street stands no chance.
C300 is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks