Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2020, 10:47   #466
BHPian

Re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

I request the mods to close this thread as I believe we had quite a comprehensive discussion and now there are personal attacks being done and blaming on mods and others going on. Heck, even some members are calling the score as acceptable. So with all due respect I think this thread should be closed.

Lowflyer23
Lowflyer23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 10:58   #467
BHPian

Re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
No manufacturer is a saint. Tata was accused of adding reinforcements only on driver side to pass NCAP testing since they don't do overlap crash testing on passenger side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Would love to get more information on this. As far as I recall, it was Renault who cheated on the crash tests by providing reinforcements only on one side. GNCAP caught this blatant cheating and called it out specifically. Would be surprised to see Tata doing something similar, but if they have done it, their actions need to be condemned equally.
Yes, This was Renault Kwid which was accused of adding reinforcements only on driver side. Could not find anything on Tata doing it and if there is a source that confirms this, would be interested in reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly-capture.jpg  

Shrey_1520 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 11:04   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
The only cars that could be deemed safe are the ones that are GNCAP tested, have achieved 4-5 stars and have a stable body shell.
It would be great if the GNCAP tests Harrier,Ecosport, Kicks, Magnite, Triber etc., phew!! the list is endless.
Yes it would really be great if they tested all that and more. Especially Harrier. Then they can have an extensive list of 4 and 5 star cars in their linup. And yes, 4-5 star cars are what I'd call safe and is what I'll put my hard earned money on.

Last edited by SaiSW : 13th November 2020 at 11:14.
Old 13th November 2020, 11:04   #469
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
I request the mods to close this thread as I believe we had quite a comprehensive discussion
Yep, requesting all to strictly adhere to our posting rules and keep it real on this thread. If things continue to go out of hand, we will close this thread.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 11:07   #470
Team-BHP Support

Noticed an important point that was not noted or discussed, I believe - Both the Airbags on the Seltos bottomed out. Why?

Quote:
The protection offered to the driver and passenger head was adequate, both passenger and driver head bottomed out the airbags
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Autocar
What Autocar reported -

Quote:
Global NCAP’s test report states that on impact, the Seltos’ structure and footwell area were both borderline ‘unstable’, and that the bodyshell was not capable of ‘withstanding further loadings’.
What NCAP report states -

Quote:
The bodyshell was rated as unstable and
it was not capable of withstanding further loadings. Footwell area was rated as unstable.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 11:08   #471
Team-BHP Support

C'mon guys, whatever we (moderators) post on the threads here are purely our personal views. We all have our day jobs, don't get paid by GTO or Team-BHP or the car manufacturers. They call Team-BHP for reviews just like they do for any other media team, we do the drive and put up an honest report.

As I type this, I'm looking at this:

Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly-img_20201113_100726.jpg

Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly-img_20201113_113808.jpg

Request to please not make unwanted allegations or take the thread off-topic. Thanks!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th November 2020 at 11:38.
Gannu_1 is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 11:14   #472
BHPian

Though the result of the crash test is disappointing, I will not hesitate to buy a Maruti or Hyundai. I have been driving the humble Alto for over 14 years and am happy with the vehicle.
kushagra452 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 11:14   #473
BHPian

If I remember correctly, some people here mentioned here that the score of Seltos can be improved, via structural changes, like the Nexon 4 to 5 star. If so, I'd be glad if any member can enlighten me regarding what all can be done regarding this. Kia should do that as soon as posible.

Seltos sales won't take any major hit with this result, so it's better they quickly make necessary changes and test it again for 2021.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 11:17   #474
BHPian

Cross posting from another thread.

Few members wanted Team-bhp to take away "car of the year" award from Kia Seltos. For reference, below are the crash rating of all "team-bhp car of the year" over the years! As I mentioned in that page, lets stick to be reasonable discussions please.
Attached Thumbnails
Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly-crash_rating.jpg  

RaghuVis is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 11:17   #475
BHPian

While the members have filled 32 pages with their views/displeasure, the common man is happily lapping up these cars including me.
I have booked spresso despite knowing it's safety issues, as the 'need' was limited to nimble driving experience for my wife within the city. It will rarely goto highway and even then, spresso is more safer than my 2 wheeler.
While we all have the right to demand for a safer car, the interpretation of such demand stays with law.
harishpr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 11:20   #476
Senior - BHPian

A rare balanced view from Motor Octane on this issue.

fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 11:26   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
Though the result of the crash test is disappointing, I will not hesitate to buy a Maruti or Hyundai.
I actually like your comment and may I interject, we can all find fault with a car model or the manufacturer, but we cannot / should not fault anyone for their decision to buy a particular model. It’s a individual choice. We all have our own constraints at that time which influence our decision.

Anyways, now this thread is posted on Facebook by TBhp Mods.

Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly-37234.jpg
swarnava.ch is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 11:32   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
While the members have filled 32 pages with their views/displeasure, the common man is happily lapping up these cars including me.
I have booked spresso despite knowing it's safety issues, as the 'need' was limited to nimble driving experience for my wife within the city. It will rarely goto highway and even then, spresso is more safer than my 2 wheeler.
While we all have the right to demand for a safer car, the interpretation of such demand stays with law.
Any particular reason for opting for the SPresso over the Tiago? When one is proven to be better than the other in terms of safety?

This question is not meant to be an attack. Just looking for your opinion on this matter.

The price difference between a SPresso VXI and a Tiago XZ is about ~1 lac. Lower if you consider festival discounts. That's a negligible difference in EMI terms.

Last edited by antz.bin : 13th November 2020 at 11:35.
antz.bin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 11:33   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
At the end of the day, I am as disappointed with the safety ratings as many others here. But that doesn't mean we stop thinking rationally and write anything just for the sake of argument.
Its not just about the safety ratings, but also how manufacturers respond to it. Tata did not start out with making 5 star cars.

- Zest scored a zero first as it had no airbags, so Tata made dual airbags standard. And if I remember right the airbags version made 2 stars. They made further improvements and bought it to meet standards for a 4 star rating.

- Nexon initially scored 4 stars, it was modified by Tata to achieve 5 stars.

- They made sure upcoming platforms are compliant and the Altroz fared well.

- Mahindra applauded Nexons score and bought the XUV 300 and Marazzo upto the mark.

This was all a process, not an inherent quality and Tata uses that to its marketing advantage. Previously toyota had played the safety card but it did not work for them as unfortunately it was for the etios twins.

Hell, even Renault modified Kwid to increase its safety score.

Kia on the other hand is silent, and MS has been its same disgusting self.

At 64 kmph to have an unstable body shell is unacceptable as the Seltos is expected to be driven at much higher speeds. 100kmph is a moderate assumption for highways.

Indian market has comprises for 7% of KIAs total volumes. This attitude is abhorrent.

As far as the calling out of moderators is concerned, i guess people are forcing GTOs hand to react negatively to Seltos as he has previously time and again professed his liking of the car. I understand the outrage but forcing someones hand is not acceptable. And in two days questioning the integrity of TBHP moderators is not done. We are not a lynch mob and should stop behaving like one. But Renukas defense is deplorable. It would have been better if she had stayed mum than defending her purchase, fellow Bhpian owners have been far more honest.

Personally I preferred KIA over Hyundai, but now its off my list for any kind of recommendation. And yes Tata cars have still some way to go especially in the petrol engines front. But they are surely working and its commendable. I had asked a friend to check out the Nios when he had finalised the Tiago. He booked the Nios and would have taken delivery. I'm afraid to face him in this matter now. Its a sad development.

KIA should introspect. At the least.
400notout is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 11:34   #480
BHPian

Firstly, a huge round of applause for Maruti for sending their car to GNCAP...!!

Coming to the Koreans, I was really expecting better considering the fact that they might compromise on engine build to offer other bells and whistles but, never did I think they would start walking down the Maruti lane, especially with a Rs 2 million product...!!

Heck, blame maruti for tin cans but even they provide 4 star rated products that cost above Rs 1Million. The Brezza, S-Cross are a classic Example of the same...!!

Lately I have started to believe no one values Indian lives more than Indian manufacturers, perhaps I am hell bent towards Tata and Mahindra for my next car hunt..!!

While going through the FB post, I could see how raged and furious people were, however, it would be interesting to see how well will this news change Indian buyer's mindset ..!!

Last edited by Aish_4761 : 13th November 2020 at 11:53. Reason: Spell check
Aish_4761 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks