Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2020, 16:43   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

Truly shocking results for the Seltos. I had hoped that this car would have not be “value engineered” or to put it more crudely, “redesigned to kill”. But I was sadly mistaken. It’s a shame that a C2 segment product is so unsafe - an unstable body shell should be unacceptable for any product at any price, and definitely for products that cost USD 30,000 on the road. Cross that off from my list of potential buys - I would much rather pick an unreliable car than an unsafe one.
Hayek is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:44   #62
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos, Grand i10 Nios and Maruti S-Presso crash tested! Disappointing results!

I'm glad these test results are out. I feel bad for the 75,000+ customers who bought the S-Presso. A tin can is a tin can.

The Roads and Transport Authorities must implement these laws.
1. Mandatory G-NCAP crash testing for all cars on sale.
2. Cars with crash results less than 2 stars must not be allowed to be sold.

Shame on Maruti Suzuki & Kia-Hyundai. It's high time everyone focuses on safety.
John316_WRC is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:44   #63
BHPian

re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

It is unbelievable Seltos scoring so low. Even the score 3 is like ‘just pass’!

I won’t be surprised if the sales figures of Seltos remain unaltered or increases in the coming months. Unfortunately, the average Indian simply gets carried away with the product presentation.

Kia’s jazzy marketing and novelty features of Seltos are a big pull over XUV300 or Nexon.
LoneRidder is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:44   #64
BANNED

Re: Kia Seltos, Grand i10 Nios and Maruti S-Presso crash tested! Disappointing results!

I had been saying this for long, that Hyundai and Kia are having skeletons in their closet! No wonder these cheats were not giving their vehicles for crash testing! These crooks have been exposed now, I feel vindicated in not going with the tide and buy one from their stable. Massive respect for TATA and Mahindra! Feel sorry for the millions of fellow Indians who are shelling out top dollar for substandard products. Will we ever learn to give priority to safety and support the manufacturers who produce safe cars?
The Rationalist is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:46   #65
BHPian

I’ve got a couple of questions and people with expertise in the domain may like to chip in:

Given the fact that the varient of the Seltos chosen for the test was equipped with 2 airbags, will it be reasonable to expect the varients with 6 airbags can at least get 4 stars.?

And what can we infer from this (crash test ratings of seltos and i10) for creta and i20, respectively.?

Last edited by Shashwat.75 : 11th November 2020 at 16:53. Reason: Grammatical correction
Old 11th November 2020, 16:47   #66
BHPian

Not surprised with the results of the Spresso. Or even the Hyundai Kia products either to be honest.

When something seems too good to be true, expect corner cutting. So people buy Hyundai Kia products, for the extra features and the holy grail - sunroof, only to get malfunctioning brakes and a sub par built body.

The sad part is these results won't make a dent on Hyundai Kia and Maruti's sales. Inferior safety products will still sell in truckloads.

I wouldn't entirely blame these companies. If people can ask around to research if Tata and Mahindra have sub par after sales, it's not rocket science to find if a product is safe in today's information age.

Can't expect much from a country where a helmet is used as an elbow guard.

Last edited by TROOPER : 11th November 2020 at 16:50.
TROOPER is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:52   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Highest GlobalNCAP ratings achieved by manufacturers -

Maruti Suzuki - 4 stars.
Volkswagen - 4 stars.
Toyota - 4 stars.

TATA Motors - 5 stars.
Mahindra - 5 stars.
Honda Amaze has scored a 4-star rating in Global NCAP. Although it was for a model manufactured in India but exported to Africa, the Indian-spec model is not too different from that.

Last edited by Sheel : 12th November 2020 at 09:03. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
AutoConsultant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:52   #68
Team-BHP Support

See how bad the result for the Indian Seltos is, compared to the international tests where it fared well -

Here is the US IIHS crash test -

And here is ANCAP -

Indian version gets - "The bodyshell was rated as unstable and it was not capable of withstanding further loadings. Footwell area was rated as unstable.
"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashwat.75 View Post
Given the fact that the varient of the Seltos chosen for the test was equipped with 2 airbags, will it be reasonable to expect the varients with 6 airbags can at least get 4 stars.
Not reasonable IMHO. Side and curtain airbags help minimally in frontal offset crash test where Seltos fared so badly. Will help for side impacts, but won't have a much better score than these variants tested.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th November 2020 at 17:11.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:57   #69
BHPian

Dissapointing result, especially from the Koreans. But not expected, when I was looking out to buy a car around 5-6 lacs in 2017, ABS and airbags was available at only the too models for i10 and i20 if my memory serves me right. Now too, TCS is available in topmost two models only for Sonet. This simply shows their attitude towards safety, as if bling and sunroof is more important than safety. Also, the infamous brake failure issue getting swept under the rug for Seltos / Creta. It is all correlated, perhaps Hyundai/ Kis think life is not precious in India, but atleast let them ve stylish and comfortable!
Kudos to Tata for having 4 star rated Tiago at a price where others can give 2/3 star rated cars, and making active safety - TCS standard throughout from even Base model in Nexon.
Thanks to NCAP for opening our eyes, even non enthusiasts have started valueing the safety rating of car before their purchase, the sudden surge of popularity of Nexon & Altroz is an indication of that I suppose.
Grease_Monkey is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:59   #70
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki cars were the only cars to be labeled as 'tin cans' till date, I guess the 'tin Can' group got bigger with Hyundai and Kia joining in. No offence to anyone, the results are here to prove.
smileline is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:59   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolutely disgusting. I feel ashamed that I recommended a Seltos over a Honda City to a close friend. The Seltos has turned out to be as much of an eye opener to us enthusiasts as it was a success to the Indian buyers. As things stand, a Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza costing roughly half the price of a Seltos comfortably scores a star more while also having a stable bodyshell. This combined with the brake failure issues and niggles has really raised questions about how committed Hyundai really is to safety. As things stand, there are 1.4L Seltos' out on the road, each costing anywhere between 11-20 big ones.

Whoever was quoting Hyundai and claiming the Sonet and Venue were based on international platforms that were a lot safer than that of the Santro have their answer. The i10 NIOS, which brags about using high tensile strength steel has fallen flat on its face. All those acronyms and fancy terms mean absolutely nothing more than marketing crap.

Looking at the Seltos, the Creta is not going to do any better either. Hyundai has turned out to be the false friend who stabs you in the back at some point, while Maruti Suzuki is the known enemy.

Coming to the Espresso, I think we all knew this was coming. Couldn't expect more from an A-segment hatch built by Maruti Suzuki. It's as predictable as the Seltos' doom was unpredictable.

Last edited by vishy76 : 11th November 2020 at 17:15.
vishy76 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:59   #72
BHPian

Really surprising! Nios Sportz actually costs close to 8L OTR Bangalore and people usually buy it for features, resale, and the service quality. But I guess they also prefer Hyundai over Maruti because the supposedly better build quality (not just interior plastics etc) and shell strength. This rating now shakes everything as this is the only factor to consider safety (unless one is a pro in structural engineering and can judge a vehicle by touch).

On the other hand, Isn't Venue a 4-star car in GNCAP? or the platform is different and Indian version never tested? On youtube there is lot of praise for Venue being safe! Wish someone here could throw more light!

I wonder how better are even Ford cars? Ford pricing is also on the higher side and their tests also seemingly happen on the 4-air bag versions (correct me if i am wrong). ESP, TCS with 6 airbags is fine but what about the lower variants (like Figo titanium) that don't have these? Isn't Altroz 5 star from very basic variant level? Or should one take comfort in Ford service quality plus the FTD factor?

Time for Indian buyer to choose Tata and Tata to really improve their sales and after sales experience!

Last edited by Quinn : 11th November 2020 at 17:20.
Quinn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:59   #73
BHPian

Shocking !!!

But Indian population is to blame including many on Team Bhp forum.

Reasons -
1.) Crave for bling, show off over safety and desire to have all features at cheapest possible price without even considering the quality of features. There is a reason why top brands like VW, Toyota, Ford and successful global brands sell less because they can not sell shit at this price.

2.) Fanboyism of owners, youtubers and even of some Team Bhp members who are blind to facts and practicality. I request Team Bhp administrators to ban members who are biased and fanboys. I would also request Team Bhp members to start reporting posts of members who had previously laid out claims of high GNCAP and safety for these cars. A cleanup is necessary to improve quality of our forum.

3.) Unnecessary bashing of brands who focus on safety but due to competitive prices are not available to deliver the bling and features. You get safety or bling at a price not both.

Request Team Bhp administrators to please take corrective measures asap because my passion for this group is all from the quality, unbiased and comprehensive information on this forum

Last edited by steadfast : 11th November 2020 at 17:05.
steadfast is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 17:04   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
This has been discussed in other threads in Team BHP but Suzuki in India has due to some reasons refused to engage with GNCAP. They neither submit their cars for testing nor do they acknowledge GNCAP results. Strange.
That's the Trump way of doing things. Don't like a news report against you, call it 'Fake News'!

All car makers get crash tests done, though the results are for their internal use. They already know what Global NCAP will come out with.

Due to obvious reasons, Maruti wouldn't like its cars to be tested by Global NCAP.

Here is a comparison between Seltos, Nexon and XUV300.
Attached Thumbnails
Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly-global-ncap-compact-suv.jpg  

Last edited by ashutoshb : 11th November 2020 at 17:24.
ashutoshb is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 17:06   #75
BHPian

I almost fell off the chair reading this!!

Looks could be really deceiving!!

This is what I have been reading past year:
  • Kia: 1 lakh sales up in India!
  • Kia: 1.5 lakh sales up in just 14 months
  • Kia Seltos garners 50,000 bookings since launch
  • 1.25 lakh Kia Seltos SUVs sold till date
  • Kia Sonet becomes highest selling compact SUV in India
  • Kia is the 5th largest car brand in India, based on October 2019 sale
  • Kia records highest ever sales of 15,450 units in Jan 2020

With so many "number" of KIA cars pushed into Indian customer's throat, here comes the breaking news about it's poor safety, what would the owners be thinking now?

Should the GNCAP ratings be published before sale of a car? Shouldn't that be top criteria to buy a car?

I am sure this news doesn't deter we Indians, we just need glamorous interiors and sunroofs, because we don't crash.

MY BIG SALUTE TO TATAs AND MAHINDRAs who are advertising safety at the top not as BAD A$$ design.

Last edited by hummer : 11th November 2020 at 17:08.
hummer is offline   (49) Thanks

Most Viewed