Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2020, 15:03   #16
BHPian

re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

Really appreciate Indian manufacturers for providing us with safe cars. India's highest-rated car from each segment comes from an Indian manufacturer. A perfect example of 'Apne to apne hote hai'

On a different note, it's surprising that the Seltos/Creta has scored a point lower than the Ertiga. I would rather put my money on the XL6 rather than a Creta/Seltos now. Atleast I will have the peace that my brakes are going to work when I want them too .

Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly-ertiga.png

Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly-seltos.png
abhi9044 is offline   (71) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 15:12   #17
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos, Grand i10 Nios and Maruti S-Presso crash tested! Disappointing results!

Such a pity we are this late knowing this, especially for a block buster like Kia Seltos.

It is high time we have a strong auto Consumer forum that initiates and bears the cost of testing with GNCAP all high sellers without much delay. Many buyers of these cars as well as other untested ones will be feeling cheated when results are disappointing later on.

We cannot depend the Government to do this by going against the industry lobby. The Indian crash test system about to come in near future is not likely to have stringent standards.

Last edited by CoolFire : 11th November 2020 at 15:38.
CoolFire is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 15:17   #18
BHPian

re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

Absolutely pathetic performance by the Korean manufacturers. S-presso doing zero stars was obvious but it's Hyundai that has come with an all new surprise. Just shows the substandard and fake details are given by Hyundai on the aspect of safety. A great setback to all the Hyundai/Kia fanboys out there who considered their cars to be safe.

The Venue is most probably a 2 star, the i20 also a mere 2 star and we know the Creta now. This is really disappointing. I knew the fact that when a car is not crash tested it cannot be deemed safe but my past experiences and people's feedback somehow always put up a question mark regarding the safety aspect of Hyundai's. I am so glad that we opted for a Tata and not a Hyundai.

Kudos to Tata and Mahindra for providing us such safe and excellent packaged cars.

A sincere request to our mods:- Mention the safety rating in the official reviews of the cars and not how the car is built. For ex- In the review of Grand i10 Nios it is stated that the car has precise build. It should be changed to what the crash tests show.

Last edited by chiefpk : 11th November 2020 at 15:22.
chiefpk is offline   (99) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 15:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos, Grand i10 Nios and Maruti S-Presso crash tested! Disappointing results!

Maruti and Hyundai cars IMO perfectly describe what we Indians truly demand from a car manufacturer- mileage, features, bling, style and peace of mind. And they offer exactly that. If we don't demand safety, we won't get it. Period.
Turbohead is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 15:21   #20
BHPian

Seltos' results are disappointing, to say the least.

Off-topic, is it moderately safe to assume that 2020 Creta, another blockbuster, will deliver similar results to the Seltos?
7000plusrpm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 15:22   #21

The worrying thing is that these new body designs with "high tenstile" steel have become a trend - it was Maruti initially and, going by the new i20's advert, now Hyundai. I remember reading that Hyundai used to import steel for their vehicles and wouldn't purchase locally for their Chennai plant supposedly to have a closer control of steel quality. I wonder whether those claims still hold true.

I am awaiting delivery of a new Tiago and although I am having service nightmares, I am not as worried about the structural integrity of the car as I am with my Baleno.
haribabu is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 15:23   #22
BHPian

They may be telling the truth when they say "73% high strength steel". It may be just that they don't tell us the whole truth - "We are using less steel overall".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
We have been blaming Maruti for tincans but I believe now Hyundai should also be added to the list, for their sub-par results and fooling us Indians by saying we are using “73% High strength steel” and so on and so forth in our cars!
On a serious note, this is sad when an established market leader would take to this kind of practices. But we can't blame them. It just shows the absolute immaturity of the Indian Auto Market, and these manufacturers are happy to exploit that.
cuboid is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 15:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

Indian customers are always taken for a ride by these global behemoths. I thought at least KIA is different. And when my friend from Australia said this feels like a different car, I did not believe him. Why should an Indian feel any less safe driving these cars, than his Global peer. And to top it we pay 30% more to own a Kia too. Hope the top brass at Kia are reading this and behave as responsibly as a Tata, with their 5Star rated cars.
Sebring is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 15:33   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
The S Presso with no Passenger Airbags was but expected. But the Seltos is a shocker. Even Suzuki manages a 4 star for Brezza!!!
The new Santro also came with a driver airbag only. But it managed to get 2 stars.
chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 15:35   #25
BHPian

I got the feeling that Team-BHP is unconsciously biased towards Koreans build quality when I read new gen Santro's official review. It repeated on Nios:

Quote:
• Precise build & quality (including interiors) are among the segment best

I genuinely believed what is mentioned in Seltos review:

Quote:
What you'll like:

• A superbly engineered all-rounder that delivers a premium experience
• Handsome, contemporary styling. Looks very sharp
• We find the Seltos to be well-priced for what it offers
• Nice, user-friendly interiors with sufficient space & good quality
Team-BHP needs to define terms "Precise build & quality" and "superbly engineered" when they mention in their reviews. Sorry if I sound harsh. But it effects genuineness of our reviews.
K_Drive is offline   (137) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 15:35   #26
BHPian

We diss Maruti Suzuki so much wrt the safety of their cars but if you compare the Grand i10 Nios's ratings with Swift 2018's rating :-

Adult Occupant Safety
Swift - 7.08/17
Nios - 7.05/17

Child Safety
Swift - 16.23/49
Nios - 15/49

I have heard about a million times in reviews that Hyundai's sheet metal quality, "door thud" etc is way better than MS but these ratings show the reality.

Based on these results, we need to look at MS and Hyundai/Kia in the same light. If someone even remotely cares about the safety aspect of the car, they should try and avoid these brands and go for other proven products be it Tata, Mahindra, VW, Skoda, Ford - We still have a lot of quality alternatives in all the popular segments.

A question though, where do the Honda cars stand? Haven't heard much about safety ratings of their products (apart from City 2020 which scored 5/5 in Asean NCAP)
Attached Thumbnails
Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly-swift.jpg  

Last edited by AutoConsultant : 11th November 2020 at 15:52.
AutoConsultant is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 15:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Maruti will now advertise the Brezza (4 star crash rating) as "Crash test kiya kya" .
Strategy will not work for their any other car though except maybe the S-Cross.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 15:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Ok- what about higher variants of the Seltos/Creta with ESP, six airbags? Are they built to a different standard?
Old 11th November 2020, 15:48   #29
BHPian

Interesting to see the Sportz version of Nios being crash-tested and not the base variant. Just an observation, I don’t think there are any changes between the 2 that could impact the score.

Sad to see this. Lesson for me is never to go by the ‘feel’ of build quality.
tinshark is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 15:52   #30
BHPian

Good to know this.
Looking at the top selling cars in India, it almost feels like customers want a bad safety record car to finalize their decision.

I wish the government made some sort of a tax incentive for safety rated cars based on their crash rating. That would motivate makers to improve things.
Cessna182 is offline   (30) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks