Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2020, 15:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos, Grand i10 Nios and Maruti S-Presso crash tested! Disappointing results!

The Seltos scoring 3 stars is a disappointment, considering that I have the Creta-but what about higher variants ? Wouldn't they get another star for side airbags and ESP?

On the other hand, it would be really interesting to see how the Harrier and the Indian Compass would fare in these tests.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 11th November 2020 at 15:57.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 15:56   #32
BHPian

re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

While I appreciate Tata & Mahindra for making great strides in making safe cars and voluntarily crash testing them, we also need to talk about the elephant in the room, their premium offering, the Harrier. There was a discussion in TBhp itself, wherein someone claimed that the footwell protection is poor because of a protruding oil filter. It's high time Tata came clean on this issue and rectified it. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4870464 (2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review))
SuhairZain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 15:56   #33
VRJ
BHPian

re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

Well well well, this settles the debate once and for all. The Koreans aren't as safe as everyone assumed them to be. We all know Maruti's aren't safe from day one (except Brezza).

Guess what's worse than the Indian spec getting a 3-star rating? The Australian spec getting the 5-star rating . What disgusting double standard is this. What on earth is the Indian government doing except for collecting ludicrous taxes? Like how in the USA, BLM (Black Lives Matter) has gained traction, i think in India we should start 'Indian Lives Matter' too.

Australia 5-star rating link: https://www.carblogindia.com/kia-sel...ting-by-ancap/

Just two days ago, in this thread " Why is the Indonesian Kia Sonet longer than the Indian car? ", I've specifically underlined in my post that why does Hyundai/Kia and many other companies talk about using higher grade/strength steel in their new car launch event when they can simply send their cars to GNCAP or any other test agency that would give out a star rating? I've also told that if the company was confident in their car, they definitely would send their cars for testing and market the hell out of the 5-star rating. But, they don't because they know their cars wouldn't score 4 or 5 stars. The results today prove my rather obvious common sense theory. I'm not bashing only Kia/Hyundai. This applies to all manufacturers selling in India. Why doesn't TATA send their flagship Harrier for testing when they market the Nexon and Altroz as 5-star rated because the Harrier isn't a 5-star car.

Good point by BHP'ian CrAzY dRiVeR, Kia says two African Elephants can stand on top of the Seltos, however, in reality it has an unstable structure and 3 year old children are poorly protected.

On the bright side, the CarandBike article says that the Seltos can become a safer car if Kia makes 'Minor' changes. Hopefully Kia gets to work ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Folks who are underwhelmed about the 3* rating of Seltos, please consider this as well:

Adult Occupation Protection Score between 5 & 8 is 2 stars
Adult Occupation Protection Score between 8 & 11 is 3 stars

Seltos scored 8.03 out of maximum of 17 for Adult Occupation Protection. So, just about 3 stars
Good observation, thank you. The Seltos is borderline 3-star. It crosses the mark by 0.03. I'd consider the Seltos a 2-star car.
VRJ is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:01   #34
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos, Grand i10 Nios and Maruti S-Presso crash tested! Disappointing results!

Would also like to highlight that points scored by Seltos in Adult Protection are just enough to get the 3-star rating. The score of 8.03 is at the lowest end of 8.00 – 10.99 points needed for a 3-star rating.
The Child Protection rating does not fare any better either with 15 points being at the lower side of the 2-star spectrum of 13.00 – 24.99 points.

This is just sad how these manufacturers are taking the car buyers here for granted. After spending 15 lakhs plus on a car, this is just not acceptable.

PS: Attached the PDFs for the Assessment protocol followed by GNCAP (2017 version)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GNCAP Adult Occupant Assessment protocol.pdf (1.47 MB, 214 views)
File Type: pdf GNCAP Child Occupant Assessment protocol.pdf (1.31 MB, 217 views)
HR 16 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:01   #35
BHPian

Me: People say your car's brakes sometimes don't work. GNCAP says they aren't safe either.
Hyundai/Kia: Our air purifier and suvisors will ensure you have a very long and healthy life.

The title in the home page reads S-Presso scored zero stars in GNAP- and I think none of us enthusiasts had any expectation on the product either. I'd rather have all these 3 products called out separately, especially the Koreans with all the noises that they make on advanced high strength steel and that it can carry an elephant on it's top.

I still belive safety is much more than crash tests. However, it's downright pathetic to hear that the 20 lac products made in 2020 still lag the competing products from early 2010's (read: Duster, Ecosport, S Cross). Even the similar sized Suzuki Ertiga with the heartect paltform fared better.

Last edited by xjosephjacob : 11th November 2020 at 16:02.
xjosephjacob is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

Ok, that was a bit surprising. I expected Seltos to do atleast a 4 star but this is unbelievable. If the more premium and bigger Seltos is doing 3 star then I wonder what will Sonet do. Is it safe to assume the cousin Creta will achieve similar figure?

As someone who was considering Sonet I guess I must seriously give my attention to Nexon itself. Less features, less bling and brand name but at least it's a 5 ⭐ rated car which is more important for me and I guess many others.
harry10 is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:08   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
Why doesn't TATA send their flagship Harrier for testing when they market the Nexon and Altroz as 5-star rated because the Harrier isn't a 5-star car.
On the bright side, the CarandBike article says that the Seltos can become a safer car if Kia makes 'Minor' changes. Hopefully Kia gets to work ASAP.
Good observation, thank you. The Seltos is borderline 3-star. It crosses the mark by 0.03. I'd consider the Seltos a 2-star car.
Actually NCAP tests cars independently. The companies don't get tests done for them. As for Tata, it is unlikely that the Harrier will score less than 4 stars because they have their in house crash test facility, which I think they are the only ones to have in India.

I don't think that a company that didn't recall the Kona for its fire issues, the Creta/Seltos for the brake issue will bother about this rating.

In fact I would be surprised if this is picked up by any news agencies. The Koreans are great at covering up in the media. Even the Creta brake issue did not make it to major news outlets.

Last edited by Cessna182 : 11th November 2020 at 16:24.
Cessna182 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:09   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

S-presso result was expected, though to be frank I naively believed maybe it could have scored atleast 1 star, if not two.

But the Seltos. Mahn...
20 lakhs for a three star rated vehicle. Don't know about specific marks awarded, but star-wise same as an Ignis!!!

I really don't want it to be a personal attack, reminds me of a member here, who had vehemently argued for Hyundai Indian models having the same platform as international ones (by that stretch Kia too) and had given chassis blueprints as evidence in a separate thread.

Just reaffirms my theory.
You have to cut somewhere to be cost effective for India.
Reason why Toyota did nothing much after Etios saga and VW/Skoda is still stuck with a decades old platform. Not supporting their strategy or advocating for them, just what I felt.
DicKy is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:12   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuhairZain View Post
While I appreciate Tata & Mahindra for making great strides in making safe cars and voluntarily crash testing them, we also need to talk about the elephant in the room, their premium offering, the Harrier. There was a discussion in TBhp itself, wherein someone claimed that the footwell protection is poor because of a protruding oil filter. It's high time Tata came clean on this issue and rectified it. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4870464 (2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review))
As you mentioned - it is something "someone claimed". No data available until a crash test is done and it is proved. I hope TATA is capable of securing a good rating if they can plan and engineer Tiago and Nexon. Looking forward to a test and get accurate data.
Old 11th November 2020, 16:14   #40
BHPian

Third class product from a third class carmaker? Let's also get the Chinese mg tested, wonder if gets a negative star rating? Hope this information is widely published so that the buying public buy this tinpot product with their eyes open.
AirbusCapt is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:15   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpk View Post
The new Santro also came with a driver airbag only. But it managed to get 2 stars.
As on today, S Presso standard variant which was tested costs 3.7 Lacs (ex showroom Delhi). The Santro lowest variant costs 4.63 Lacs (ex showroom Delhi). So, there are bound to be differences.
Carma2017 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:17   #42
BHPian

Indeed I am very "happy" with the results. So glad to see that U-G-L-Y looking S-Presso score zero star. At least now let few buyers evaluate Tiago as an entry level car. No offense please. I am eagerly waiting for the launch of rumored entry level car from TATA.

Also I would like to see some interesting ad from TATA pricking these unsafe leading car manufacturers.

I don't think someone really needs to be worried about the star safety rating of the Harrier, if not 5 TATA will somehow manage 4+ rating with it and they might have already tested it in their in-house facility.

And dear Hyundai, stop milking the Indians!

Last edited by kamilharis : 11th November 2020 at 16:25.
kamilharis is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:17   #43
BHPian

You're paying 20L to a car which scores 3 star rating and I can't imagine the backlash the Germans would be getting here if they score a similar rating for a similar priced car. If I am not wrong, there was also a thread in the forum where they few folks were seconding Kia's platform is way better and stronger than it's siblings platform.

Safety >> Gimmicky features.
gasinveins is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:18   #44
BHPian

With leaders, as people say "you get what you deserve", the same is case with cars in India. Indians deserve 2nd class treatment as they (most) only care about looks and buys cars to satisfy their ego. I read a thread in reddit few days back about a guy saying he is proud his younger brother is buying a car for the family and he clearly says that "as everyone knows car is a status symbol in India".
What kind of pathetic attitude is that. We don't ask important questions, we get all twinkle eyes when see bose speakers and apple car play.
I really need a very high visibility campaign from people like Tata clearly saying you may die if you are in a Hyundai and it crashes. Name and shame.
raksrules is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:19   #45
BHPian

I really hope Hyundai and Kia fixes this given the popularity of their models and the exorbitant prices they charge from them compared to its competitors.

One reason Hyundai-Kia has been so successful is because people presume they aren't being taken for granted as with Maruti.

In the end of the day, a disappointing result!
dragracer567 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks