Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2020, 16:19   #46
BHPian

re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysaj View Post
No data available until a crash test is done and it is proved.
Exactly. I wish they just got it tested. But it was launched almost 2 year ago. If only they had got the Harrier tested, they could've become the only carmaker to have tested all their current cars crash tested.
Old 11th November 2020, 16:20   #47
Senior - BHPian

re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Ok- what about higher variants of the Seltos/Creta with ESP, six airbags? Are they built to a different standard?
Absolute not. Bodyshell remains exactly same be it any variant. So inspite of having these active safety features the crux of the matter will stay true. ‘It has an unstable bodyshell’ .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post

As mentioned by someone earlier, what's astounding is that even the humble Ertiga/XL-6 achieved marginally better NCAP Safety rating.
So basically Hyundai has reduced bodyshell build standard compared to even Maruti and in the process increased prices to even higher levels. The i20 costs 14L for top end in Bangalore. Imagine the sort of margin they earn with these tricks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
...The new Creta / Seltos platform is designed for two African elephants to stand on it, not to help owners survive a crash!

Attachment 2079161
Well that might be true for global portfolio. But as we all know both suzuki and Hyundai don’t provide us same global products.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th November 2020 at 22:28. Reason: Typo
SoumenD is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Global NCAP.

For all the discussion and furore in the following thread,

Understanding Car Platorms

now, at least there is some daylight at the end of the tunnel. Rest assured, whatever Hyundai/Kia is claiming as High Strength Steel, Ultra High Strength Steel doesn't seem to work in their favour to achieve a respectable NCAP safety rating.

As mentioned by someone earlier, what's astounding is that even the humble Ertiga/XL-6 achieved marginally better NCAP Safety rating.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:28   #49
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos, Grand i10 Nios and Maruti S-Presso crash tested! Disappointing results!

Maruti - It is becoming clearer that as a matter of practice, they cut corners when it comes to safety.

Hyundai - It is unfortunate that they have not put safety as a priority. It also shows how they have different standards for India.

Kia - Maybe they took the tip from Hyundai on where to cut costs. I clearly did not expect it from Kia. Was expecting no less than five stars for the Seltos. This also raises questions about the Sonet. I wouldn't be recommending Kia to anyone now.

People do not realise how a profit-making company is trying to make money at the cost of their lives. If having a lighter body shell sacrifices safety, but helps in better pickup and better mileage. You know what will help sell a car more.

And its really really hard to make people understand this.
ashutoshb is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:29   #50
BHPian

3 star rating for a car that costs 20L on road? can't remember the backlash the germans would be getting if their cars score a similar score.

Hyundai being Hyundai, their PR team will work overnight and will make sure anything surfacing on the web regarding the scores. If I am not wrong there was a thread where people were praising Kia's platform with even underbody chassis layout.

Always Safety > Gimmicks.
gasinveins is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:29   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

I think with this I am never believing ASEAN & Latin NCAPs news stating India-bound cars by various manufacturers have scored 4/5 stars until the Indian version of the car has been crash tested!

With this I believe Hyundai will never send the new Creta for crash testing!

I bow to Mahindra and Tata now onwards, top class safety levels are what I will look forward for now.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:32   #52
Senior - BHPian

This is one area where local manufacturers are streets ahead of the competition. The Seltos/Creta are cash cows and yet, the manufacturer wants to skimp on safety by providing a weaker bodyshell. Seriously pathetic.

I urge the mods to add this to the official review of the Seltos. It currently says

Quote:
Top safety package includes 6 airbags, ESP, all-wheel disc brakes, blind spot monitor, TPMS etc.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:32   #53
BHPian

So there we have it finally, the official global NCAP tests of India made Seltos. Was eagerly waiting to know about how they perform and my doubts were indeed true that the Koreans indeed are showing double standards when it comes to the Indian market. Was hesitant to recommend to anyone right from the launch.

A 5 lakh rupee Tiago is more safer than a 21 lakh Seltos. Hard to comprehend.

Nios getting a 2 stars is a surprise as I was expecting 0 or 1 stars as the recently tested Kia picanto scored zero stars in Latin NCAP and read somewhere that it shares the same platform with i10 (maybe the older platform then).

Recently Pratap Bose gave an awesome reply to someone asking for more gadgetry and features, "it is the essentials that matter, doesn't need to have unwanted features just for the sake of having them".

We will get double air purifiers next time or something similar. Honestly speaking, the upcoming HBX on Alfa platform (TATA said that the platform is designed to get 5 stars from the start) will be a hard smack on the face of these market leaders milking our market from so long. Its high time our government implements a rule which requires every car to get tested in global NCAP before its launch and 1 month after that to test whether manufacturers are indeed maintaining the quality or not.
klgiridhar is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:36   #54
BHPian

I doubt these will do anything to the sales of the respective cars. The Indian buyer does not really care about the safety aspect of the cars as long as it has the usual bling. There's some on T-Bhp who think there's a shift towards higher consciousness of the safety aspect - but we've long known about the poor GNCAP rating of the most sold car in October '20, the MS Swift.

Seltos has been able to capture the attention of people like no premium car before, the Creta has had a long path to its current standing. I think it would be fair to assume that neither the Creta nor any of the Venue siblings will do better than the Seltos in this. Hyundai is on to the same success formula as MSIL. Give the people superficial features at the expense of what really matters. Who can blame them, after all, that's what the customer wants.

Last edited by navin : 11th November 2020 at 17:10. Reason: typo
RoadMonkey is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:37   #55
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos, Grand i10 Nios and Maruti S-Presso crash tested! Disappointing results!

Shame on Maruti Suzuki !
Attached Thumbnails
Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly-cap.jpg  

Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly-ncap.jpg  

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 11th November 2020 at 16:41.
RM Motorsports is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:39   #56
BHPian

I am forced to think about cancelling my booking for KIA SONET GTX+ Diesel Automatic and move onto TATA NEXON Diesel (AMT) XZA (O) model.

What do you guys suggest?
Dinesh_Malhotra is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:40   #57
Team-BHP Support

Highest GlobalNCAP ratings achieved by manufacturers -

Datsun - 1 star.

Hyundai - 2 stars.

Kia - 3 stars.
Honda - 3 stars.
Ford - 3 stars.
Renault - 3 stars.

Maruti Suzuki - 4 stars.
Volkswagen - 4 stars.
Toyota - 4 stars.

TATA Motors - 5 stars.
Mahindra - 5 stars.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (78) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:42   #58
BHPian

This has been discussed in other threads in Team BHP but Suzuki in India has due to some reasons refused to engage with GNCAP. They neither submit their cars for testing nor do they acknowledge GNCAP results. Strange.
Carma2017 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:42   #59
BHPian

What about the new Creta? I assume both the Seltos and Creta are the same under the skin with respect to the platform. Worrisome in that case for a car crossing 20L on-road.
simplysaj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:43   #60
BHPian

Is it expecting too much of the government to insist that new cars should be at least a 3 star in safety for the general safety of its occupants?
clementw is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks