Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2020, 18:33   #121
BHPian

re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

wonder why I’m not surprised as many of the BHPians on the safety scores of some of our best sellers in the market. For a country where a car is a prestige symbol and symbolic of having crossed the middle class threshold . Where have we demanded this from the manufacturers, when have we put our foot down?
The manufacturers have studied and perfected the art of selling us substandard stuff and laughing their way in most cases to the bank. The formula is simple ,add some chrome, , flared wheel arches, diamond cut alloys electronic gizmos and a sunroof ( the latest ask that I find amusing as in a tropical and dusty country people rate the sun roof so high!!), even the seasoned Bhpians forget to enquire, discuss and debate the aspects like structural integrity and crash worthiness .

IMHO, safety of the build should be discussed with equal focus if not above the pickup, the Gizmos , the NVH and the Macho looks. Is it not an irony that a country with the highest number of annual road fatalities have auto buyers who choose to put looks and features over safety ?

I even had some of the members responding to my enquiry on the safety of the build of TUV 300 some time back with stuff like that not all Indian’s can afford safety!! If all cars need to have a 5 star rating then it would make travelling unsafe for millions more !! seriously??

Many of us even on this forum are of the impression that safety is all about airbags, traction control, ESP etc, sure these enhance safety , but if your structural build is not safe all these have very limited value , setting stringent standards for build quality, to which every OEM needs to adhere to is fundamental for a country like ours . Here safety is the other persons responsibility and since we have a huge population and like the saying goes, anything in excess has little value , human life comes cheap too. This must change and these global car makers cannot have their standards lowered in India, they have to be made more responsible and accountable
gops2009 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 18:37   #122
BHPian

re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

Woah! I was taken back by the Kia Seltos's rating. A 2 million rupee car and they didn't worked on the safety part. While I don't have a safe car now, my next car will sure be a 5 star. Even the Australian Seltos got 5 stars in their respective testing. Bad thing for us, Indians.
Jagann13 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 18:38   #123
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos, Grand i10 Nios and Maruti S-Presso crash tested! Disappointing results!

I am very happy with the results. Call me abnormal/different etc whatever you like, but this is a clear indication that Non Indian manufacturers are taking Indian customers for a ride. People seem to be happy with what they see in real rather than behind it. Many of my known ones have been purchasing cars just because of the features it has rather than looking at other aspects. Maruti was expected to score 0 so, nothing surprising but Kia and Hyundai are indeed shocking. I am not criticizing these 2 Korean giants, but when they had everything in hand why did they chose to cheat us. We need to see more cars being tested to get an idea as to what the manufacturer is upto.

With Maruti, Mahindra & Tata we already know it. Although Mahindra have tested just XUV3OO in recent times. Would like to see how the new Scorpio and XUV5OO fare next year.

While Seltos is a good car in and out and to drive as well, but it's not safe now. The version tested here is 2 Airbags version but even top Spec HTX+ gets just 2. GTX+ gets 6 but that's again a different version, it would be great if Kia offers a Safety Tech Packed GTX+ for Crash Test.

I am sure many of them won't care about this report as much as we do because many won't be knowing what this rating means. But anyone deciding to buy poorly fared cars should rethink twice before going ahead.

Waiting for Cars like New City/Hyundai Venue/New Hyundai i20/Kia Sonet/Nissan Magnite/Tata Harrier etc to be tested soon.

Last edited by CarguyNish : 11th November 2020 at 18:39.
CarguyNish is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 18:47   #124
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos, Grand i10 Nios and Maruti S-Presso crash tested! Disappointing results!

So looks like it is time to add Hyundai and Kia to the list of tin cans. While I never had much hope for Hyundai lower models, Seltos rating is quite surprising. Even Maruti managed to score 4 star rating for Brezza, and Ertiga which also has 3 star, scored better than Seltos (9.25,25.16 vs 8.03,15 for Adult and Child protection). Similarly Gi10Nios scored marginally less points than that of Swift. So wagonR, Santro, Swift and Gi10 Nios all score 2 star, and there also corresponding Hyundai model scores marginally lower points than Maruti models. While Maruti is always referred by everyone as an unsafe car maker, now we should add Hyundai also to the same bucket.
sreejithkk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 18:49   #125
Senior - BHPian

Kia Seltos, Grand i10 Nios and Maruti S-Presso crash tested! Disappointing re...

Seltos with 3 stars :. Though a lot of comments are coming in on the base model being tested, but that is how it is done.

What's even more shocking is that the report states that the structure and footwell area were both slightly 'unstable', and that the bodyshell was not capable of 'withstanding further loadings' during the impact.

So the base model theory goes out of the window even if the car has other safety features like 6 airbags etc..as the structure itself is rated unstable. Not sure if they would have improved the structure for the top spec models? Maybe the fancy Led lights at the front might help.

The child occupant ratings are even worse. Definitely not what I expect from Kia and they now have a hundred thousand on the road.

I have always wanted manufacturers to display their safety ratings on demo cars in the showrooms. Hope the government acts.

Wonder how many BHPians would have bought a Seltos had they known this rating?

Happy that Tata and Mahindra have shown their intent on safety . The top manufacturers in terms of volumes seem to have scant respect for safety.

So time to use your legs judiciously while braking and get them out of the way in a crash.:

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 11th November 2020 at 18:58.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 18:50   #126
Senior - BHPian

Really surprised with the Seltos rating but glad that the rating is out. Disappointing! Feel bad for the consumers paying 20 lakhs or even more for these cars.

As for Spresso, I am glad I talked my family out of buying one last year.

By the way, no one on this thread referenced the Ford Ecosport which is built like a tank, and other Ford cars which generally have solid builds. Any idea what is the rating of the EcoSport?

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 11th November 2020 at 19:09.
arindambasu13 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 18:54   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpk View Post
The new Santro also came with a driver airbag only. But it managed to get 2 stars.
Yes, Airbags alone may not make the car safer. Santro and WagonR managed to score 2 stars with just driver side airbag. And on the initial tests, Kwid also got 0 star even with driver airbag, later Renault made some improvement and resulted in 1 star
sreejithkk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 18:56   #128
anb
BHPian

I was expecting at least 4 stars for Kia Seltos. Surprisingly it is on the borderline between 2&3. The less about the child safety, the better. Seltos is the least safe vehicle you can buy in India for 20 lakhs, Unfortunately I bought a Seltos GTX plus last week. If this result was out atleast two weeks earlier, I would have bought a Jeep Compass
anb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 18:56   #129
BHPian

My biggest phobia when it comes to a car crash is the visualisation of my legs getting crushed in the footwell as I’m pushing hard at the brakes! When the wagon-r GNCAP result showed an unstable footwell, that’s what went through my mind instantly and it scared me. I was considering the wagon-r for my wife at the time.
Now even the seltos has an unstable footwell. To say that I am shocked and disgusted is an understatement! I can’t fathom the ridiculous double standards. Huge respect to TATA and to a large extent, Mahindra. Fingers crossed for a 5 star xuv500.
Sebzgeo89 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 18:58   #130
Senior - BHPian

Please merge this thread with existing thread-
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...orm-badly.html (Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly)
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 18:59   #131
BHPian

Thank god, it reaffirms my decision of cancelling the booking for Kia Sonet and purchasing VW Polo, only because of safety concerns.

I am Happy I ended up with a proven vehicle with regards to safety.
RaceHorse is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 18:59   #132
BHPian

Seltos performed poorly than S-Presso and i10nios in regards to head safety in Adult Occupant Protection. Seltos has only "adequate" colour coding while both S-Presso and i10 nios gets "good" colour coding.

A 21 lacs car with 2 airbags and still occupants heads are less safer than a 4 lac car.
Sran is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 19:00   #133
BHPian

My brother had been smitten by Sonet and is high on his list, looking at these scores, its no longer on the list.
Nexon, XUV 300 now are best choices alongside Brezza/Urban Cruiser.
I wish Tata brings automatic variant on Altroz asap, of this was available it's easily best hatchback out there. I wish i20 gets tested asap and gets atleast 4* otherwise, there's no point in even considering 13.xx on road price!!
I was so interested on Seltos and I genuinely thought it will get atleast 4*, these results helps a lot.
punto_ is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 19:01   #134
Senior - BHPian

Monkey see Monkey do the art of making profits from auto crazy junta of India.

Scary that Maruti-Suzuki & Hyundai-Kia are number 1 & 2 in sales in India.

If these cars are priced exorbitantly, what's wrong with owning a Nano.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 11th November 2020 at 19:05.
CARDEEP is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 19:02   #135
BHPian

So, the BAD A$$ Design has been beaten badly by GNCAP.

No wonder why Hyundai/KIA is not sending Venue/Sonet to GNCAP. It will definitely score poorly.

Its high time we Indians need to think what is more important to us - our life or some bling in car? Its really dreadful to see even after paying 20 lakhs one can't ensure the security of his/her life in case of an accident.

Will this impact sales of KIA or Hyundai? I don't think so until we change our mentality.
Deadpool is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks