Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2020, 20:36   #166

re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpk View Post
These guys are just so damn biased towards Hyundai and Kia. They consider the 3 star rating of the Seltos "good" and the i10 Nios "exhibits attention to safety".
I look at Team-BHPians blindly trusting the sheer metal quality of these Koreans. I'm calling out all the BHPians again to stop trusting sheet metal quality.

Please don't talk about safety until the vehicle is tested by GNCAP. Seems like cheaper vehicles from Maruti are marginally safer than Hyundai/Kia vehicles.
balenoed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 20:37   #167
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos, Grand i10 Nios and Maruti S-Presso crash tested! Disappointing results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Don't hold your breath. Mahindras only crash tested car is a rebranded Korean car.

I'm surprised people mention Mahindra when talking of safety.
Probably because Anand Mahindra once congratulated Tata for their crash test results via twitter and further commented that they will join TATA in proving that ‘Made in India’ is second to none. He then followed it up with Marazzo and Xuv300 crash results.
Vijin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 20:45   #168
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kia Seltos, Grand i10 Nios and Maruti S-Presso crash tested! Disappointing results!

Mod note: Thread closed. Please continue this discussion on this thread. (Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly)
Old 11th November 2020, 20:46   #169
BHPian

re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

What scares me more than these crash results are the cringe memes and comments all over social media.
Anything outside teambhp is downright braindead nowadays.
omranga98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 20:52   #170
Senior - BHPian

A 15-20 lakh rupee vehicle scores just 3 stars. What the heck!

It would be interesting to the Kia and Tata sales figures from here on. Almost every premium car buyer is aware of crash tests and safety ratings nowadays.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 20:56   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I request you not to make statements that are false and misleading.
My sincere apologies for mentioning some incorrect information regarding platforms utilized. What I wrote was on the basis of a news article that was shared on this forum stating all Hyundai's new sub 4m cars sold in our country 2018 onwards would be underpinned by the K1 platform.

Although I access this website almost everyday, somehow never came across your thread. I just went through your previous posts and you have certainly put forward some good points backed by solid research. However this does not change my opinion that the performance is disappointing because the Kia Seltos is based on the K2 platform and the bodyshell has been rated unstable 'incapable of withstanding further loadings'.

I would request the moderators to make necessary amends in the opening post.

Last edited by PetrolheadRup : 11th November 2020 at 20:58.
PetrolheadRup is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 20:59   #172
BHPian

Everyone of us who didnt choose a Hyundai / Kia are having a field day now. "I knew it", "Told you so". " The gadgets are just make up..." etc etc.

A few months ago, when I had to upgrade, I blindly went for the Jeep Compass because my priorities were entirely different (Driving Dynamics, Handling, Build, Classic looks, Same product being exported to UK and Aus and hence higher standards etc). I would have also strongly considered the Tucson because its a CBU/ based on an international platform but it was out of budget. 99 out 100 people have entirely different priorities. Which reflects in the sales numbers.

The problem isn't with Hyundai / Kia - they are doing exceptionally well across the world with class leading products (only Hyundai's recent designs are weird). The problem is with their strategy for India. From a business standpoint, it makes a ton of sense for them. Why sell the same expensive platform here when they can do a cheaper one, and also export to other ignorant countries (Africa et al)? The consumers largely don't care. Clever marketing, carefully managed media presence and PR efforts means that aside from few folks cribbing on Team-bhp etc, nobody will bother. Oh well, its Diwali season, wait for Next month's Car sales report and see the absurd numbers for Kia and Hyundai.

The others are trying to copy the strategy. VW's upcoming SUVs will be based on some tailor-made (MQB-A0-IN) platform for India. Cheaper platforms, reduced cost, more margins. Everybody is happy except a few folks who crib on these forums...
loki is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 21:06   #173
Senior - BHPian

Like others, I too am unsurprised by the crash test rating of the Spresso. It really is sad how we know and also don't expect any better from our largest automaker.

But the crash test ratings of both Hyundai as well as Kia are really poor. Also please note that the Seltos BARELY scored 3 stars. Combine it with the fact that there are chances that the brakes don't work on occasion and you could say that the Creta and Seltos have a higher chance of getting in a crash and also faring poorly during that time. The Creta is not going to be too far from the Seltos, maybe slightly higher or possibly lower - 2 stars.

It's high time the official reviews highlight issues in build quality and safety in Hyundai and Kia cars as they do with Tatas service, etc. A similar disclaimer should feature in the reviews.

That whole thread on which platform the Venue and Sonet seems kind of pointless. The whole idea of it and all that research and blueprint analysis by the OP just to prove that the cars are built on the superior and safer Verna platform and not the inferior Santro platform seems like a waste. Hyundai has designed the cars such that there isn't a significant difference between the two platforms in terms of safety. They are both just about adequate.
Mortis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 21:07   #174
Senior - BHPian

So neither Kia or Hyundai cars can stop well in time nor protect us adequately if we crash.

Guess there is a reason why they were silent on the platform information. If it was the same car as the USA, they wouldn't have waited a bit to advertise it.

And they always do not provide the kerb weight of their cars for whatever reason.

I guess 'What you do not know, cannot hurt you' philosophy is followed here by these two manufacturers.

S-Presso was expected to score 0. But its A-Pillar looks lot better than Alto or even Scorpio. Guess they will just say it conforms to Indian standards. Not much hope from them.

Expected better from the Koreans though.
SchumiFan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 21:16   #175
BHPian

It is such an irony. We aren’t able to or we don’t choose a car based on the safety ratings but we buy home appliances and even tube lights and bulbs based on high energy saving stars on them (including myself). I guess it’s high time that Government mentions the safety ratings like fuel consumption figures, before a car is launched. So that the buyer can make an informed decision.
Old 11th November 2020, 21:24   #176
BHPian

Really disappointed to read this. I am glad though that I cancelled my booking for the Creta and booked the 5th gen Honda City instead. After reading about brake failure issues with the Korean twins, I got second thoughts on Creta and decided to apply the brakes on my Hyundai ownership journey for good. I did have a dandling thought that by buying the City I am missing out on a lot "more" car for the same money but this thread has only validated my decision again. A safer, reliable car over a car with features any day.
RocketRaccoon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 21:29   #177
BHPian

It is sad, that even after being an important market for the auto majors, we get second hand treatment when it comes to safety. Well it is only us to blame. Time and again consumers have prioritized sunroof over airbags.

TOI has an article which says, " Tata Altroz driven: ‘Gold Standard’ losing Midas touch as segment grows competitive?"

The heading atleast clearly shows how much we value the safety part over the feature laden offerings (not saying other products are bad with features, just that safety should get an equal treatment).

I really wish the government get the Bharat NCAP equivalent to Euro NCAP and atleast have consumers know what they are buying. But again, we have been laggards when it comes to safety always. Sad!
justwheels is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 21:30   #178
BHPian

If the seltos crash test result was known when the team bhp car of the year poll happened last year, would the result have been different? We'll probably never find out.
kauphylover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 21:31   #179
BHPian

I observe that the front windshield of the S Presso does not crack after the impact whereas the front windshields of i10 NIOS and Seltos cracked badly. Seems the thickness/quality of windshield of Maruti's budget car is better than that of Seltos/i10.

The unstable body shell of Seltos is a matter of grave concern. Did not expect this in a new gen product from Kia.

It would be interesting if Nissan would send their Magnite for testing and scores more than the Seltos.

Last edited by DImPo : 11th November 2020 at 21:35.
DImPo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 21:35   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauphylover View Post
If the seltos crash test result was known when the team bhp car of the year poll happened last year, would the result have been different? We'll probably never find out.
Seltos wouldn’t even have made the cut off.

In hindsight, maybe teambhp shouldn’t even consider cars which don’t possess a crash test safety rating for such polls. Isn’t that what we stand for, above all?
Red Liner is offline   (31) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks