Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2020, 22:31   #196
BHPian

re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

The Hyundai group is turning out to be one big fraud group in India. Selling skeleton cars with fancy clothes at exorbitant prices. And the newest skeletal joke is the i20 at 13 lakh rupees.

Let's see how long long they could continue this cheating spree.

Shame on you, Hyundai. Better go back to your country to sell your cars, we don't need you. Also, when you think about profits, think about some self respect too.
CliffHanger is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 22:32   #197
BHPian

re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
So the base model theory goes out of the window even if the car has other safety features like 6 airbags etc..as the structure itself is rated unstable. Not sure if they would have improved the structure for the top spec models? Maybe the fancy Led lights at the front might help.
Even if they tested the 6 airbags version, won't the side airbags contribute to only side impacts? GNCAP does only frontal crash test. So, as you said, the base trim thing shouldn't be considered.

When XUV 300 and Yaris could give 7 airbags right from the base variants(?), why not by KIA in the Seltos atleast from the mid-variants. I think it's only available on the top of the line GTX+.

Not cool Hyundai group.
Shreyas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 22:32   #198
BHPian

My sister picked up an Altroz last week on my recommendation, I'm feeling like I should give a pat on my shoulders. I have always been apprehensive about Hyundai's inconsistency with brakes and niggles but Seltos scoring 8.03 in adult occupancy is just beyond imagination. Really pity that such big conglomerates think of our lives are not worth than.... What? A sunroof and disco lights on the speaker.

I'm feeling really sad for the ones who have spent their hard earned money on such ill-engineered machines.

And as far as our Aam Janta is considered, I know they are still going to make the wrong decisions as they have been making since the eternity and recent results are also no different... Ehm Ahhemm

P.S. I really resonate with the idea that the official reviews be updated with the safety ratings too, that's what TeamBHP stands for right.

Last edited by sachin_cs : 11th November 2020 at 22:35.
sachin_cs is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 22:33   #199
BHPian

This is shocking to say the least. At the same time it shows that the Korean Twins are absolute swindlers in the name of safety. 'The superstructure of the Creta can withstand the weight of two African elephants'. 😂 This is an example of downright fraudulent claims by the Korean Twins. I remember the Team BHP review about the build quality of both Creta and the Seltos . It mentioned that the cars are solidly built.On the other hand the Ertiga was dissed as ' Build is at best Average for a million rupee car'. I agreed with both statements. However today an Ertiga has actually scored a little higher than a Seltos, plus has a three star Child safety rating which is again higher than a much higher priced Seltos.

Another wonderful claim by Hyundai in the i10 Nios was about the presence of 65% high strength steel . The XL6 only claimed 39% high strength steel. Well , seems Korean high strength steel definition is on the lines of Steel which doesn't bend with the pressure of a finger. No reason to pay 15-20 lakhs for such nonsense when you can get better cars at 10 lakhs. Also the Korean naturally aspirated engine itself is quite mediocre , plus the long term reliability of these would definitely be lesser than the Suzuki/Toyota 1.5 litre.
Shwet is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 22:33   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
The way in TATA vehicles it’s mentioned ‘service is a hit or miss’, Hyundai/Kia vehicle reviews should have ‘safety is questionable’. Shameful to see 20L cars being rated structurally unstable. Shame on Hyundai/Kia

Kudos to Tata and Mahindra for making safer cars
It’s sad that we want features rather than Stable body shell and top notch safety. Prime example is Kia Sonet !

It’s high time GoI tests every car before it is released in the market! All cars must undergo these tests and Less than 3* should not make it into the market.
buntee90 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 22:42   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

Yes, there will be a little bit of noise once the crash ratings comes out, like on this thread for instance. But it will do ZIP, ZILCH, NADA to the monthly sales. Just look at the Swift for reference!
I don't think so, even if you consider this thread as a yardstick and with the reach of team-bhp itself there should be a dent in their sales numbers. At least I will share this information with my friends and acquaintances. Everytime someone asks my opinion about buying a car, I share the links to the various threads and official reviews from this forum to them.

We cannot compare with sales of Swift or S-Presso as Seltos is 20lac car in its highest trim and people putting that much money would be a little more worried about the safety.
In case of entry level cars, lot of customers are looking at them as their first car which can protect them and their family from elements compared to a bike. That has been the case with me as well when I bought my first car.
nagarjun is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 22:42   #202
BHPian

Not at all happy with the ratings. It seems like only Indian manufacturers (TATA and Mahindra) have that commitment towards Indians, for others, it is just BUSINESS.

One day, I would like to see something similar to Bee star label with ratings on the cars made or India.

Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly-beestar.jpg

Pic Curtesy: Google search.

Last edited by vijayshouree : 11th November 2020 at 22:47.
vijayshouree is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 22:45   #203
BHPian

It seems from discussion.

S presso - not safe - okay

Grand i10 nios - not safe - okay

Kia Seltos - not safe - surprised!

Guys, isn’t the other two deserve surprise as well?
The manufactures go gaga over airbags and new platform in brochure, websites and billboards for improving safety yet continue to give weak structures. Why such dual standards?

IMHO, Safety in brochures is just a sham until tested by NCAP.
procrastinator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 22:51   #204

Sad to see that a new entrant to India who captured the market by storm, has such a poor safety rating for one of their best selling cars.

What is sadder is that we Indians will prefer sun roofs, wireless charging and gizmos over safety.

I think the mods should mention the GNCAP safety rating (wherever available) in the respective official car reviews so that potential customers who rely on Team-Bhp review can make a informed decision.

The Koreans have changed the game in the segments that they operate in, but have taken a few steps back when it comes to safety.

The lesser we speak about Maruti, the better. "All products of the company are fully compliant with these global standards and duly tested and certified by the government of India"

Do we blame the government for these lax safety standards, or say kudos to Maruti for blatantly lying about being compliant with Global Safety standards.

Not sure if this is against forum rules, but I strongly urge all members with a social media accounts to widely publicize these results with #SaferCarsForIndia hashtag. I think it is our duty to awaken these car companies from their slumber and start providing safer cars

@Mods, please delete the last part of the post if it is against the forum rules.
robindsouza82 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 22:55   #205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinator View Post

Top end prices of these cars from Bangalore -

SPresso - 6.16 lakhs.
i10 Nios - 10.08 lakhs.

Kia Seltos - 21.38 lakhs!

Now you can see why BHPians are shocked with the Kia more than any other car!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th November 2020 at 22:57.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 23:03   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

20-21Lakh is no small joke by any means, if a Tata Tiago with a price of around 5-6L can score 4 stars and the Altroz at 7-8L can score 5 stars then what is stopping Kia from getting the same at 20Lakh? To make matters worse Kia is selling different Seltos’ in Australia, China and USA with higher safety ratings! Do we Indians not deserve the best as well?
CEF_Beasts is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 23:09   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
20-21Lakh is no small joke by any means, if a Tata Tiago with a price of around 5-6L can score 4 stars and the Altroz at 7-8L can score 5 stars then what is stopping Kia from getting the same at 20Lakh? To make matters worse Kia is selling different Seltos’ in Australia, China and USA with higher safety ratings! Do we Indians not deserve the best as well?
As long as more than 8000 (every month) folks want to buy a car with a Rs. 2,000 air purifier, a Rs. 15,000 sun roof, a 5k (yes that's what it costs the OEMs) touchscreen and a promise of better service (at more than 12-15k per service for an economy car) over a car with a smaller screen but better safety ratings for Rs. 21 lakh for a supposedly budget segment car, we don't deserve more. As someone said on this thread, you can put a huge banner in front of Kia or Hyundai showroom with this result, folks would still buy it without a second thought.

Just browse the automotive channels today. Only one popular channel mentioned this news. The others are busy showcasing their products. These channels thrive because this is what people want to hear.

Even on this forum, if you suggest some one to explore a Nexon or Harrier over a Seltos they come back aggressively saying that the Seltos is in a different segment and league than the Nexon or Harrier. Well, yes, but it still is an inferior product.

Last edited by Cessna182 : 11th November 2020 at 23:18.
Cessna182 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 23:09   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post
We diss Maruti Suzuki so much wrt the safety of their cars but if you compare the Grand i10 Nios's ratings with Swift 2018's rating :-

Adult Occupant Safety
Swift - 7.08/17
Nios - 7.05/17

Child Safety
Swift - 16.23/49
Nios - 15/49
Keep in mind that the scoring formula changes every few years. A 5 star 20 point car from 2015 will not score 20 points in a 2020 crash test. Its a futile comparison.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 23:11   #209
BHPian

Quote:

The manufactures go gaga over airbags and new platform in brochure, websites and billboards for improving safety yet continue to give weak structures. Why such dual standards?

IMHO, Safety in brochures is just a sham until tested by NCAP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Top end prices of these cars from Bangalore -

SPresso - 6.16 lakhs.
i10 Nios - 10.08 lakhs.

Kia Seltos - 21.38 lakhs!

Now you can see why BHPians are shocked with the Kia more than any other car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Before I receive more replies on price tag on Seltos — I request everyone to please read my original post text quoted In bold (now)
By surprise I meant safety is still untrue when manufactures claim their cars to be safe. (Read further after Bold text - how for buyers)

The discussion can go on Seltos bashing but this will continue unless OEMs are proven on safety by NCAP testing. (The last line of original post)

For those who want simple text — let’s not forget both of the other cars are sold in huge number every month. Their safety is equally important as Seltos’

Period.

Last edited by procrastinator : 11th November 2020 at 23:16.
procrastinator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 23:16   #210
BHPian

A friend of mine is on the lookout for a new hatch. This will be his first car and he had shortlisted the Nios and Tiago. He is totally not into cars, and guess what, he calls up and says Nios got two stars and he is dropping it. He will either pick a Tiago or stretch a little for Nexon base/mid variant. Its heartening to see that people are getting aware. But I agree that we still have to go a long way.
icem@n is offline   (25) Thanks

Most Viewed