Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2020, 23:20   #211
BHPian

re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

Mann..this is worse tactics than Maruti. Atleast while driving the Baleno, one isn't under any kind of illusion. The car feels lightly built and gives the impression that it might be unsafe. The car is same INSIDE and OUT.

On the other hand, it is just burglary in broad daylight on Hyundai/Kia's part considering people buy the Seltos thinking " Imma buy me a tank!". More ironic are Hyundai's views expressed in this article from 2017 about Maruti making light cars -

https://www.livemint.com/Companies/3...onslaught.html

Quoting parts of what then Hyundai India CEO said -

“Design, quality, features in our cars are much advanced. That is our strategy"

When asked what stops Hyundai from doing what Maruti does?

“Their standards are different. Hyundai is a global brand. We have to maintain a certain standard in terms of design and quality. We cannot reduce too much weight. It is not possible"

Last edited by Romeo_Mike : 11th November 2020 at 23:27.
Romeo_Mike is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 23:22   #212
Senior - BHPian

re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
As long as folks like a Rs. 2000 air purifier, a Rs. 15,000 sun roof, a 5k (yes that's what it costs the OEMs) touchscreen and a promise of better service (at more than 12-15k per service for an economy car) in a 21 lakh economy segment car, we don't deserve more.
Unfortunately this is the reality. Majority are sold out to fancy features but only few care about safety. What more can we expect when many people wear helmet and seat belt just to save fine but not life
airbus is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 23:24   #213
BHPian

Now I understand how Kia/Hyundai is making so much noise selling. They just skimp on safety features and give gizmos and charge a fortune for it. Brushing off customer complaints as well. However these Koreans are seeming to get the sales right by marketing and providing the features what are not available with the competition as a package in thir offerings(Eg: Ford does not have a Diesel AT and Android auto in almost all variants of the EcoSport, whereas Sonet/Seltos have it, you get the drift.) If the competition pulls up it's socks then there will be a wide choice for the customer and a tougher fight for car makers

Misleading customers to such an extent(The African elephant standing on the frame of the Hyundai) is outright fooling customers. I hope the public opens their eyes and make an informed decision.

As for the grand i10 nios and S presso, those ratings are even worse. No point in spending close to 9-10L OTR Bangalore for a car which does not offer the feeling of being safe. The less spoken about the maruti, the better as there's no point talking about their cars. Almost all online forums bash maruti but the majority will still queue up to buy up a maritime. The same trend is catching up with Hyundai/Kia

As other members have suggested,Please mention about the NCAP ratings and braking in all Team bhp reviews as team bhp influences in car buying for a lot of people unknowingly (including me)

Last edited by jithin23 : 11th November 2020 at 23:34.
jithin23 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 23:28   #214
BHPian

Having bought the top spec Seltos after cancelling my XUV300 booking (again top spec with 7 airbags) I feel cheated. This is pathetic and disgusting from Kia to take their Indian customers for a ride with their "badass" advertising and focusing more on the bling while lowering the safety aspects. If not for the dated interior looks of the XUV300, I would have been a Mahindra owner now and would have also saved 7.5lakhs - with which I could have also got a Tiago even
jothishX is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 23:30   #215
BHPian

With all these poor crash tests ratings of cars from these so called global giants, my respect for Tata Nd Mahindra is increasing day by day due to their efforts of providing safe cars. I’ll pick safety over fancy features every single time.
Bhalla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 23:34   #216
BHPian

Disgusting practices by Hyundai-Kia IMO. It's shameful that two irresponsible companies now take the top two slots of the sales figures in the Indian market.

Like many fellow BHPians, I too request moderators to start mentioning crash test ratings/results in reviews. And also remove the 'well built' mention unless the product is truly crash tested, irrespective of brand. Our forum should be the first to boldly convey this information to members, visitors and carbuyers alike.
TROOPER is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 23:42   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Keep in mind that the scoring formula changes every few years. A 5 star 20 point car from 2015 will not score 20 points in a 2020 crash test. Its a futile comparison.

I believe we should be able to compare the crash test results which are around 2 years apart. There has been no announcement by Global NCAP during this period regarding any significant changes in their testing methodology.

As seen in the attached picture as well, the testing parameters look more or less the same for both cars.

We would have to assume that the criteria remains fairly the same for a period of 2 to 3 years (unless publicly announced) otherwise we won't be able to make any such comparisons.
Attached Thumbnails
Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly-pixlr_20201111233241037.jpg  

AutoConsultant is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 23:49   #218
BHPian

Guys, I would like to know how and whether the standards for GNCAP have changed over time. We all know the polo, Brezza and nexon scored 4 stars some time ago. Will it repeat the result again if done today? Is the seltos being judged to a higher standard here?
nakul0888 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 23:55   #219
BHPian

I also request KIA and Hyundai owners of these cars on the Team Bhp forum to form a united front and collectively complaint to KIA and Hyundai or initiate a campaign about this situation or sue them for the feeling of being cheated, treated as second class citizens and taken for granted as owners who were fooled for the bling by compromising on safety.

As country's most responsible automotive forum, Team Bhp members should take a stand against this nonsense and initiate a change for the right thing in Indian Automotive industry.

Last edited by steadfast : 11th November 2020 at 23:58.
steadfast is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 23:57   #220
BHPian

Shame on Hyundai/Kia.

First the brake issue and now the crash test results.
So in a nutshell, our brake system may fail and you will crash. If you crash you will get crushed.

Now give your money, enjoy the bling.

These kind of reports shows how under rated are Mahindra and Tata.

Ps: not even mentioning any Maruthi products here. It's of no use.
Asish_VK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 23:59   #221
BHPian

Well, well. To be honest, I am not surprised. Indian consumer is getting what they want (and not what they need!).

We are living in strange times. Social Media is more of a bragging competition. Thought process is that ....My everything has to be better than neighbors. Sadly in automobile world it translates to:

1. Bigger touch screens (I am still not able to understand this fad)
2. Bigger Sunroofs
3. More Features (Internet Inside...really!, Voice commands and what not)
4. Focus on touch and feel "quality" (Soft touch plastics...meh)

Hyundai/Kia/MG are giving all of the above, but, what has been getting compromised?

1. Safety (OK, we are not aware of MG crash tests yet, so lets give them benefit of doubt, but Hyundai/Kia is consistently performing lower than Tin-Can Maruti in each segment. Clearly tell you about the corporate focus)
2. Essentials, which make a car a car (read, good reliable engine, brakes, steering, gearbox etc., we have seen enough issues with Hyundai/Kia Brakes; Hector Petrol Auto fuel economy is 6kmpl).

This has to change, and forums like Team-BHP can play a big role in this education drive (MODS please).

1. Let us start listing GNCAP rating of the cars (whenever/wherever available) in official reviews
2. Let us make Safety cool, and talk more about it
3. Let us start having Official long term review which focus on reliability, basics and how is the car to live with
4. Let us not give attention to gimmickry (Please!)

Ever wondered why Taxi operators swear by bare bone Etios!
Jas21 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 00:02   #222
BHPian

This is very surprising for a 20+ lac car! Kia should provide an extra seatbelt or better metal rather than some gizmos. My dad wanted to check the Sonet but now in two minds.
Old 12th November 2020, 00:14   #223
Team-BHP Support

Eleven pages and counting in less than 12 hours. Looks everyone is taking safety seriously

I am sure such results will put pressure on the manufacturers to launch global products.

Will be interested to find, what’s happening with Toyota for their global products- Innova and Fortuner? Are they maintaining same global standards or different for us? Frankly, I won’t bother too much about a missing feature or two, but having an altogether different type of chassis or material or construction makes little sense.

Hope Kia can realize this quickly and bring up the changes.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 12th November 2020 at 01:55. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
Turbanator is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 00:16   #224
BHPian

Humble request to the moderators/official reviewers to add this crash testing result and the brake failure issues in the official review of Seltos. It should appear in the "What you won't like section"

So far none of these things are mentioned in the official review and the brake failure issue has been known for some time now.
rags.singh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 00:35   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Guys, I would like to know how and whether the standards for GNCAP have changed over time. We all know the polo, Brezza and nexon scored 4 stars some time ago. Will it repeat the result again if done today? Is the seltos being judged to a higher standard here?
Kia might try that excuse but nope! The test hasn't changed in India since its introduction.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks