Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Minimum safety rating for your next car?
5 217 43.06%
4 281 55.75%
3 41 8.13%
2 0 0%
1 1 0.20%
Depends 43 8.53%
Doesn't matter 11 2.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2020, 22:53   #61
BHPian

Re: Minimum safety rating for your next car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
In this scenario, a strong body structure is the only sure shot solution. The future though will belong to Active Safety measures.
Sorry to disappoint you. Even if the car’s body structure is 10 star rated and have all active safety features such as ESP etc. If passengers do not wear seat belts they are likely to die/get seriously injured in a crash.

I have seen a live accident where the driver was tossed around in the cabin and his limbs were hanging outside the passenger side window after the crash. His car had 6 airbags but could not save his life. I don’t think anyone could hang on the steering wheel with the amount of forces even during a low speed crash.

Last edited by Godzilla : 16th November 2020 at 23:08.
Godzilla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 23:08   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Sorry to disappoint you. Even if the body structure is 10 star rated and we have all active safety features such as ESP etc. If passengers do not wear seat belts they are likely to die/get seriously injured in a crash.

I have seen a live accident where the driver was tossed around in the cabin and his limbs were hanging outside the passenger side window after the crash. His car had 6 airbags but could not save his life.
I am sorry I think you misunderstood active safety. I meant systems which actually prevent an accident like AEB, Driver Monitoring Camera, etc
Carma2017 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 23:10   #63
BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry I think you misunderstood active safety. I meant systems which actually prevent an accident like AEB, Driver Monitoring Camera, etc
I understood. Are you suggesting not wearing seat belts with these features will save people?
Old 16th November 2020, 23:36   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Right now we have just 3 cars with 5 star rating in the country
Perhaps you meant 3 Indian cars?

There are plenty of premium cars that pass those NCAP tests with flying colors ― the entire fleets of BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, Mini, Volvo etc.

Quote:
Its rather easy to tick out the cars which scored poorly in the test. But what about the rest? The ones which are yet to be tested? And what if you assume the car to be safe (Say a Harrier or a EcoSport) and the GNCAP ratings are something different?
Agree. I haven't been able to make up my mind on whether certain cars are safe because Indian versions haven't been GNCAP tested.

Overall, I really appreciate what Tata and Mahindra have been doing.

If Maruti too follows suit, then I suspect there might even be a reduction in accident fatality across the country simply because they sell a lot of cars (and therefore a lot of their cars must be involved in accidents). Of course, this is just speculation based on raw mathematics. I don't have any hard facts to back up what I just said.
voldemort is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 00:38   #65
BHPian

Quote:
I understood. Are you suggesting not wearing seat belts with these features will save people?
If the features work as intended, then there is no question of an accident. So, occupants should be safe.

There is an alternative. We can have USA style regulations where all crash tests are done in unbelted conditions including roll over tests. So, safety levels are definitely higher.
Old 17th November 2020, 09:05   #66
BHPian

Quote:
If the features work as intended, then there is no question of an accident. So, occupants should be safe.

There is an alternative. We can have USA style regulations where all crash tests are done in unbelted conditions including roll over tests. So, safety levels are definitely higher.
‘If the safety features work as intended. No question of an accident’ What are you smoking?

Collision warning and braking systems will brake the vehicle and save the vehicle during a potential crash to an extent (within the laws of physics). But the passengers will fly out of the window if they are not wearing seat belts when the collision avoidance systems kick in and do emergency braking .

Don’t imagine all these technologies will magically save in any given scenario. They will do their best to limit and avoid within their capability. A car with all safety features and a great driver still may end up badly depending on the scenario. Everything had to obey the laws of physics. There are a huge % crashes which cannot be avoided. Tyre burst, axle failure etc..

Just to give another example.

Let’s assume someone is driving in a highway at good speed and another vehicle got into crash ahead of this car and there is no space to manoeuvre. There are only two options brake hard or crash into the vehicle in front.

A typical car will travel 113 metres from the moment you think about applying brake while driving at 110kmph. If the car is equipped with forward collision prevention mechanism with automatic braking it can cut down on your reaction time of 46 metres, however the car will obey the laws of physics and limitations of braking power and will still travel 67 metres.

In the above scenario let’s assume the car detects the crash and applies brake but it will still hit the vehicle if the distance is less than 67 metres.

If the passenger did not wear seat belt they will be flying out of the windscreen when the automatic braking happens.

This video demonstrates the limitations of technology.

This video shows how researchers are trying to improve detection sensors.

If cars in future can be equipped with teleportation technologies then what you said might happen.

Attached Thumbnails
Minimum safety rating for your next car?-672b470c6a3342b89574f8aba3798a4d.png  

Minimum safety rating for your next car?-1671e70062da4554aa147b3634e937b1.png  

Last edited by Godzilla : 17th November 2020 at 09:26.
Godzilla is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 09:17   #67
BHPian

Nothing less than full 5 stars. There are manufacturers providing safe cars at value for money price. No reason to settle for anything lesser.

My current car is a Nexon and I really appreciate the build and confidence vs my previous car the Chevy Beat. I don’t see myself going back to less safe cars.
charanreddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 09:32   #68
BHPian

I have voted for 4 stars.
4 star with a Stable body shell is my preference. Government should come up with stricter norms to make sure that the cars sold are safe. With the recent Seltos issue, I have seen customers defending Seltos by doubting GNCAP. In a country where customers can be manipulated by PR teams of manufacturers, we need stricter norms.

Last edited by albertprince : 17th November 2020 at 09:34.
Old 17th November 2020, 10:12   #69
BHPian

The problem is there aren’t any many city friendly hatchbacks with top safety ratings under 10 lakhs ex showroom as of now. So if I wanted a minimum 4 star rated automatic hatchback with a stable structure and having ABS, EBD, and ESP, I think I have to settle for the Polo.
One could argue the jazz might score 4 stars with a stable structure but doesn’t come with ESP. The altroz, next best bet, doesn’t offer ESP or an automatic as of now. We are left with bare minimum of choices when safety is the priority.
Old 17th November 2020, 10:54   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebzgeo89 View Post
The problem is there aren’t any many city friendly hatchbacks with top safety ratings under 10 lakhs ex showroom as of now. So if I wanted a minimum 4 star rated automatic hatchback with a stable structure and having ABS, EBD, and ESP, I think I have to settle for the Polo.
One could argue the jazz might score 4 stars with a stable structure but doesn’t come with ESP. The altroz, next best bet, doesn’t offer ESP or an automatic as of now. We are left with bare minimum of choices when safety is the priority.
Indian Honda Jazz is still not tested. Also, note that Indian Honda Jazz doesn't even come with seatbelt pretensioner with load limiter (This is as per brochure specs, but since Honda has mentioned pretensioners in Honda Amaze brochure, there is no benefit of doubt on this).
Though not GNCAP tested, Rapid Rider plus AT is probably an option considering that it comes from the same group as Polo. Note that the automatic version of Rapid comes with all the safety features you have mentioned. But, the city friendliness might be a concern considering that it is longer.
skarthiksr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 11:03   #71
BHPian

I would not go for anything less than 4 star GNCAP rating along with ESP, HHA, etc.

This has become a hot topic after the GNCAP test on Seltos, Nios, and Spresso...!!! Simulating every aspect of a real crash test is quite complex with many variables at play in real time. GNCAP tries its best with various tests and rates them for safety.
I was thinking of Seltos as my upgrade, but not anymore unless they come up with improved safety features.
Old 17th November 2020, 11:08   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
Indian Honda Jazz is still not tested. Also, note that Indian Honda Jazz doesn't even come with seatbelt pretensioner with load limiter (This is as per brochure specs, but since Honda has mentioned pretensioners in Honda Amaze brochure, there is no benefit of doubt on this).
Though not GNCAP tested, Rapid Rider plus AT is probably an option considering that it comes from the same group as Polo. Note that the automatic version of Rapid comes with all the safety features you have mentioned. But, the city friendliness might be a concern considering that it is longer.
That’s why I said the Jazz might score 4 stars, but as you said it hasn’t been tested. Rapid rider plus AT is a good option if I’m looking for a sedan. But doesn’t get ESP which is conveniently available only on top most variants. I recently came to know none of the variants of Brezza/Urban cruiser doesn’t even offer ESP. May be in a few years the scenario might change. Fingers crossed!
Old 17th November 2020, 11:32   #73
BHPian

Have a 5 star car and if I will replace it will be a 5 star car.

Will probably look for 6 air bags and side curtains too.
clementw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 11:39   #74
BHPian

Voted the full 5 stars!

Also, the rating should be for the India-spec model and not for their respective global counterparts (as is the case with Toyotas, Hondas, Hyundais, etc.)

Safety WILL be my topmost priority when I go for an upgrade once the pandemic settles down and we get back to our normal lives. Nothing less than 5 stars and the highest available child safety rating, which automatically narrows down my choice to just one car (within my budget) as of now- XUV300! Can a car upgrade become any simpler! Hopefully other options spring up by the time I go to market, fingers crossed.
vivek_lm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 11:39   #75
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Don’t imagine all these technologies will magically save in any given scenario. They will do their best to limit and avoid within their capability.
You are correct to a very large extent.

It is widely believed that Tesla & Volvo cars are 2 of the safest cars ever, based on both, their active and passive/crash safety features.

The body structure due to electric skateboard architecture & large crumple zones help achieve great crash safety. But even if these cars are hit by a heavy truck travelling at 50-80kmph, then the car’s body-shell may not give in, but still the car will be flung 10s of meters and the passengers may still suffer fatal injuries inspite of a 100 airbags.

But we are approaching an age where the level of active safety features will reduce the probability of getting into an accident very low but not zero. The predictive autonomous driving features too will never be perfect, but might get very close to perfect over time. But even then, it is not possible to predict a car driver having a stroke and ramming into the vehicle coming on the opposite side of the road in a split second. No active safety system can ever be perfect, but there is no doubt that in future, it will definitely be better than a human driver.
Napalm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks