Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2020, 18:47   #76
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar gets 4 star safety rating by GNCAP

Bravo M&M, take a bow. Hope this is the turning point in the Indian auto industry where any new product gets called out on safety rather than features/price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Even the ESC was tested on outdoor track - videos are available officially on YouTube. The car has done well all round.
This seems new and next area for improvement I guess - "although the model met minimum regulatory requirements, the car showed an unstable dynamic behaviour. Global NCAP recommends a review and improvement."
Vijin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 18:49   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2020 Mahindra Thar scores 4-stars in Global NCAP crash tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
I would personally not care about safety scores if in the market for an off-roader.
Just to add perspective - this will hold fine as long as the car is always in off-road environments. The moment its a life-style vehicle that also needs to be driven on normal roads to reach that off-road location - a safety rating certainly is a big-ticket item to bump up the credentials of the car.

In case of the Roxor in the US for example - certainly everyone would ignore anything about safety ratings or no test being done at all.
Reinhard is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 18:55   #78
Senior - BHPian

That's how you flaunt your stars. A 4x4 score in safety too.

2020 Mahindra Thar scores 4-stars in Global NCAP crash tests-smartselect_20201125185336_twitter.jpg

2020 Mahindra Thar scores 4-stars in Global NCAP crash tests-20201125_185036.jpg

Anand Mahindra tweet

2020 Mahindra Thar scores 4-stars in Global NCAP crash tests-smartselect_20201125185356_twitter.jpg

https://twitter.com/Mahindra_Thar/st...870775808?s=19

In conversation with Pawan Goenka

Last edited by Venkatesh : 25th November 2020 at 19:16.
Venkatesh is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 18:57   #79
BHPian

Kudos to Mahindra for trying and performing better than those MNC products..

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
No chance!

Take a look at their comparable lifestyle product Jimny. When tested two years ago it scraped through with 3 stars at the Euro NCAP tests. That was the International version we are talking about, so a full safety spec of collision avoidance tech, lane-departure warning and six airbags among others. Spare a thought what an Indian Jimny would fare?

Will soon have Maruti fans defending the brand's izzat with statements like, 'the intended use of this car and drive accordingly, its okay.'

Not trying to protect Suzuki and not based on real data but still i belive that 3 star EURONCAP would protect you more than 4 star GNCAP. That said, a 3 star or 2 star GNCAP (read most Maruti/Hyundai) is not where I would like to be in case of accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi5868 View Post
Kudos Mahindra. It's truly heartwarming, for a lack of better word to see our domestic products leading from the front. On a side and weirder note, the Jeep Wrangler got a 1Star rating in Euro NCAP.
Please read it carefully.. It has been namely bogged down by active assist and pedestrian protection which Thar has none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Shocking comparison isn't it? Although apples and oranges on so many levels. Highly likely that all the cars that have scored 5 stars in GNCAP stand a chance to score terribly if tested by EuroNCAP specifications.
Indeed agree.

Last edited by Gurgaon_lyon : 25th November 2020 at 19:18. Reason: Typing mistake
Gurgaon_lyon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 19:07   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, meme pages are all raging, and the main target seems to be the "badass" Kia Seltos

2020 Mahindra Thar scores 4-stars in Global NCAP crash tests-screenshot_202011251903482.png

2020 Mahindra Thar scores 4-stars in Global NCAP crash tests-screenshot_202011251909392.png

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 25th November 2020 at 19:11.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 19:08   #81

While on the topic of the Thar scoring 4x4 ratings in the GNCAP, I have a couple of questions. Firstly, I was under the impression that the GNCAP tests vehicles in the base variants (presumably with the least safety features) but the crash test/moose test videos show a top end Thar with the alloys. Secondly, does the rating also hold true for the convertible (soft top) variant of the Thar?

Kudos to our homeboys for caring about safety! It was barely 5 years ago that cars from both Tata and Mahindra stables failed miserably in the GNCAP scoring 0 stars; they both took this to their hearts and made a slew of safe-r cars and really gave a tamacha to everyone who doubted them. Now I am pumped for the next gen XUV500.
MoTo_meister is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 19:12   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Also I don't think if the Wrangler would've fared any better in GNCAP, optimistically thinking 3Stars at most?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurgaon_lyon View Post
Please read it carefully.. It has been namely bogged down by active assist and pedestrian protection which Thar has none.
Yes the Thar gets neither of those electronic aids but how much stripped down are the GNCAP tests anyways? A 3Star EuroNCAP is better than 4Star GNCAP but 1Star vs 4Star? Practically speaking we wouldn't know till someone sheds light on the SOPs of both of these agencies.
Abhi5868 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 19:21   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Yes the Thar gets neither of those electronic aids but how much stripped down are the GNCAP tests anyways? A 3Star EuroNCAP is better than 4Star GNCAP but 1Star vs 4Star? Practically speaking we wouldn't know till someone sheds light on the SOPs of both of these agencies.
Also safety ratings vary by car size.. a 5 Star compact hatchback might not protect you as a Star full size Sedan. But as I said I don't have the real data.
Old 25th November 2020, 19:47   #84
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

https://www.carandbike.com/news/excl...h-test-2329939

Mahindra Thar Scores 4 Stars In Global NCAP Crash Test

So a lifestyle vehicle is more safer than Kia Seltos.
Practicality was the reason why everyone was saying that the Thar should be the second and third car in the household, safety is going to be the reason why it could be the only one in the household.

Great job Mahindra!
ishlinea7260 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 19:47   #85
BHPian

I feel that mahindra should add side airbags to the Thar. This would help it fetch 5-stars. A small cost to pay for a perfect score that would hurt nobody.

Also-
In the interview on the carandbike YT channel, Pawan Goenka said "Even if you want the 5-door thar don't wait for it buy the 3-door now and you can always exchange later on". This means we might see the 5-door test mules soon on our roads.
Sumanyu17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 19:48   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Also safety ratings vary by car size.. a 5 Star compact hatchback might not protect you as a Star full size Sedan. But as I said I don't have the real data.
This is not true, A safety rating doesn't vary with the car size/type since all the cars go through the same testing procedure i.e. It's crashed at the same speed and into the same equipment. A 5 star rated hatchback is as safe as a 5 star rated sedan and even a 5 star rated SUV. You can compare all sedans to their hatchback siblings and their is absolutely no reason that their structure would give them an advantage. SUV's do carry an advantage of being heavy and high off the ground but modern cars are made with that into account and their are various videos explaining the same. In a frontal crash a SUV would fair better than a smaller car but there is much more that goes into the safety of a car.
Mango is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 19:48   #87
BHPian

Quote:
True for two-car collisions :

"If there are mass differences between the case vehicles and the vehicles that they collide with, both groups will be exposed to an impact severity different to that from when the two groups of vehicles have the same mass. If the case vehicle group is lighter than the other vehicle group, it will experience a higher impact severity compared to its collision partners (Impact Energy = mass * velocity^2 )."

From EuroNCAP site - https://cdn.euroncap.com/media/53186...ld-crashes.pdf

On another note, people had been burning the Thar despite its good looks saying that the design is a rip-off of the Jeep. With this build quality, I guess people now need to start applauding the efforts that went into the new Thar.
nishsingh is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 19:59   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
If the recent crash test results don't result in the Seltos losing a bit of its sales and the Thar gaining some, our market is doomed, and Maruti/Hyundai will keep safety at the last of their priorities.
Thar's sales will definitely get traction with this result. But not so sure about Seltos case. Outside our T-BHP and few other auto websites, rest of the mass market are not aware of this GNCAP results and I doubt even they are aware of it, they simply don't bother as long as they are getting allured by air purifier, ambient light, mood light, disco light, starting your car from your bedroom using app, see movies in big size infotainment system and so on.

And here comes our responsibility to make people aware about the safety aspects of car, make them understand why a highly rated car is very important for their own safety rather than Tin car with gizmos. Consumer's mentality is slowly changing and our home grown TATA and Mahindra are showing the path to others how safe cars can be made.

Our market leaders has taken Indians consumers for granted by providing one after another poorly to Okish built cars. I sincerely hope, few years down the line, Indian consumers will show them their actual place in the market hierarchy.
Deadpool is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 20:22   #89
BHPian

Looks like everyone missed reading the description of Thar's ESC test video.

Global NCAP tested Thar’s ESC according to UN regulation. ESC is not fitted as standard on the Thar and although the model met minimum regulatory requirements, the car showed an unstable dynamic behaviour. Global NCAP recommends a review and improvement.
r.joshi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 20:22   #90
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely brilliant from Mahindra. Kudos to the team!

Hope Tata now takes a leaf off this book and brings back its BOF bad boys with 4x4. Tired of seeing so many wannabes and hatchbacks on stilts.

Maruti, Hyundai and Kia lie exposed and how!!

To some members who were asking about GNCAP and EuroCAP, the ratings and tests are based on vehicle population, average speeds and a host of other things. GNCAP in India is for our conditions. Simple as that. It's not a watered-down version as many think it is.
discoverwild is online now   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks