Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2020, 11:45   #121
BHPian

Re: 2020 Mahindra Thar scores 4-stars in Global NCAP crash tests

Great news! Kudos to M&M .

It will be a real feather in their cap. The Thar is already popular among SUV buyer's, this result will come as an excellent image booster. This shows the manufacturer's commitment to safety. No doubt, we will see too many Thar's on Indian roads in future.
Old 26th November 2020, 12:08   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Kudos to Mahindra for the achievement, and also a reply to the naysayers who keep on harping body on frames are ancient and unsafe.
Ofcourse, a monocoque is always safer than a body on frame, but doesn't mean a properly engineered body on frame can't be safe. Especially shown by Ford and Toyota with their 5 star rated body on frames.

Makes me more excited for the next gen Scorpio and got a gut feeling that it would get five stars

Though have to say, makes me wish that the rollbar (Edit: looks like rollbar is standard now) and ESP become standard across the range.

Playing the devil's advocate here

Does Mahindra taking the base STD variant and AX variant off their listing, have to do anything with the crash tests?

No side facing seats now, and now when I look no soft top options too, with the rollbar being standard.

With the crash test rating already earned, they could launch the soft top versions down the line in the future.

Last edited by DicKy : 26th November 2020 at 12:19.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 12:08   #123
Senior - BHPian

There should be mandate to publish details about various things pertaining to the car and stick it on the window like in US. Safety could be a big box in that. Just like energy efficiency is used for appliances.

Its time Mahindra and Tata start doing it and also take out ads pointing to that.
Old 26th November 2020, 12:47   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Does Mahindra taking the base STD variant and AX variant off their listing, have to do anything with the crash tests?

No side facing seats now, and now when I look no soft top options too, with the rollbar being standard.
Convertible soft top is still around.

The base versions with the side facing seats and fixed soft top has been discontinued as announced by Mr Goenka. The ratings apply to only the front facing rear seat variants, and thats what they will be selling going forward.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 12:54   #125
Senior - BHPian

Interview with Dr. Pawan Goenka, M.D at M&M, in the wake of Thar scoring 4 star in GNCAP.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 26th November 2020 at 12:57.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 13:20   #126
BHPian

4 stars show that at the product planning stage how much efforts & time was utilised for the selection of materials & design. In modern cars these both play a significant role.
I was not too shocked to see Seltos get 3 stars but this kind of premi products should atleast have 4 stars reason being shows the manufacturer's ability to provide a balanced product & Hyundai being a steel manufacturer itself. I think it all boils down to that thinking of giving Indian consumers sub standard products in the name of cost cutting why don't cost cutting on unneccesary features which no one uses.

Mahindra has done some commendable jobs before, looking forward to the products which the Ford-M&M Jv will fruitify. If somehow we can get niggle free ford experience, Ford's handling, Mahindra's service & spare backing & spacious cabins I think these cars will be the top choices amongst enthusiasts.
Old 26th November 2020, 13:42   #127
BHPian

A pleasant surprise to see this rating for the Thar. Looks like M&M and Tata are taking the safety route in their mission to build better cars. More power to them, hoping the car buyers keep safety as one of their buying metric instead of just mileage. It can be too little too late if an unfortunate accident happens.

As the wise Oogway said in KungFu Panda, there are no accidents. : )
clementw is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 14:13   #128
BHPian

Well done Mahindra !

Now advertise this right to the Creta and Seltos's face and lets see a few people walk in to the M&M showroom instead. The 5 door Thar cant get here soon enough !
charanreddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 14:40   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
To really appreciate what Mahindra has achieved here, look at the A pillar, windshield and roof! From the Scorpio to the new Thar
This seems to be one heck of a chassis Mahindra has carved out for Thar. The brunt of the crash would invariably has to be copped up by the chassis in a vehicle which is nearly an open top one. It shows the level of in-depth engineering that has gone behind the scenes. Kudos to Mahindra engineers. They seem to have burned a lot of midnight oil for Thar and deserve all the accolades pouring in now, can only go higher from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTo_meister View Post
While on the topic of the Thar scoring 4x4 ratings in the GNCAP, I have a couple of questions. Firstly, I was under the impression that the GNCAP tests vehicles in the base variants (presumably with the least safety features) but the crash test/moose test videos show a top end Thar with the alloys
Quoting from this ACI article

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...sh-test-410355

Quote:
Mass market models have been the point of focus in the Safer Cars For India initiative. The cars to be tested are bought by the agency from a showroom.Global NCAP uses cars in base trim for the test and the idea is to establish a baseline level of safety a buyer gets even on the most affordable version of a car. Carmakers, however, are allowed and encouraged to send an improved or higher-spec car with more safety features for an additional crash test and rating too.
The below GNCAP document would make one to understand more on how the crash test rating is done.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf assessment-protocol-Adult.pdf (1.47 MB, 110 views)

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 26th November 2020 at 14:50.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 14:40   #130

Great news after hearing the sad performance by Seltos bagging just a 3 star rating. Looks like the Indian manufacturers have taken a firm stance towards safety while no other manufacturer from outside India is able to make a 5 star rated car in India.

It's time we appreciate the efforts of Tata and Mahindra !
Gonewiththewind is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 15:01   #131
BHPian

The tides have turned and how! After nealry 3 decades of being shown "how it's done", seems like homegrown players are finally ahead in the products game; surely on the safety front. And in my book that supercedes features.

And guess what? they have done it without charging the consumer a bomb for it. On the other hand, some "International" players believe its their birthright to overcharge for "features" like sunroof and air purifier (you know who you are)

Take a bow Mahindra and Tata... you have earned it!
Romeo_Mike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 16:38   #132
BHPian

It's quite a surprise for me that the body on frame Thar managed a 4* GNCAP safety rating. Being the owner of an XUV500, it gives me tremendous confidence in the company to look at them again, when my XUV is due for replacement. Well done Mahindra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi5868 View Post
On a side and weirder note, the Jeep Wrangler got a 1Star rating in Euro NCAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thar is a Wrangler copy? I'm glad this ain't a Wrangler.
Take a bow Mahindra. You have now shown Jeep how it's done!
While I agree with the spirit of the above posts, we should compare apples to apples, especially when it comes to tests. Just a glance at the requirements of the two tests will reveal that EuroNCAP is way more stringent than GNCAP, even while comparing the 2018 version of the former and 2020 version of the latter. The number of tests are more, the list of expected safety equipment is more etc. If we go to the report of the Jeep Wrangler and open it up, we can easily see that the Thar may not score 4*'s if tested at the same EuroNCAP level.
A350XWB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 16:44   #133

Kudos to Mahindra
Irony is that the replica is safer than the original one’s.
nihasbabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 17:18   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post

While I agree with the spirit of the above posts, we should compare apples to apples, especially when it comes to tests. Just a glance at the requirements of the two tests will reveal that EuroNCAP is way more stringent than GNCAP, even while comparing the 2018 version of the former and 2020 version of the latter. The number of tests are more, the list of expected safety equipment is more etc. If we go to the report of the Jeep Wrangler and open it up, we can easily see that the Thar may not score 4*'s if tested at the same EuroNCAP level.
True, but the AOP and COP tests have few differences in GNCAP vs ENCAP that will not make a 4* to 1*, possibly to a 3* since Thar has quite a good score and in AOP and COP.

This is a valid and important argument and that's why I started a new thread- ENCAP vs GNCAP. Requesting people who have more insight to go into detailed discussion (specification level) there as well.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-vs-encap.html

I will also add on to the above thread with more testing specification and procedure level comparisons. I have requested help from crash simulation engineers to expand on it.

Last edited by saikarthik : 26th November 2020 at 17:20.
saikarthik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 20:31   #135
Senior - BHPian

I mentioned somewhere on the forum that we need to criticise strongly on those international players who are big on feature list but fail significantly on safety front. Learn a a bit or two from our homegrown players! I’m sure this decade is going to be about safety and environment focused!

Mahindra and Tata will make it a norm for safety in their current and future offerings to the public whilst other makers including Maruti will downplay when it comes to India!

Thar has ticked all the right boxes! Mahindra scored a home run totally with this product.

Regards

RV
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed