Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2021, 23:39   #76
BHPian

Re: Nissan Magnite scores 4-stars in ASEAN NCAP crash test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Nissan has confirmed that the Magnite sold in India has earned 4 stars in crash tests conducted by ASEAN NCAP. The company tweeted the message as a response to a question asking whether the ASEAN NCAP rating was applicable to cars sold in India as well.
Excellent news. The value proposition of Magnite is improved further with this news . I am surprised that Nissan isn't advertising this in a big way. Nissan has released an excellent car and hopefully has shelved any plans of leaving India.

Slightly OT - It seems that tide has finally turned about car safety in India. Car crash rating is the new buzzword and I am sure that market leaders Maruti & Hyundai are watching closely. They will release safer cars the moment their market share is threatened because of bad PR due bad crash ratings. After all these two global companies have the necessary technical know-how to build safe cars.
k10_nag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 23:45   #77
BHPian

Why would they not advertise their 4-star rating and promote the safety aspect of Magnite? Many potential buyers are still concerned about Magnite’s build quality as the price is cheaper than the rivals and a lot of negativities around built to a cost factor. Nissan did tremendous digital marketing to promote Magnite and it is surprising that they have not posted even a single social media post about safety ratings since the ASEAN NCAP test result was announced on 30th Dec 2020

Last edited by swoosh : 20th February 2021 at 23:57.
swoosh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 04:59   #78
Senior - BHPian

There’s the complexity of managing another set of parts of different quality standards. Although unethical (for a business to do so) in my books, it might be worth it for vehicles sold in high quantity. (Eg. Kia Seltos)

In this case, buying a car (like Nissan Magnite) from a not-so-popular brand could actually be a good decision.

I’d bet that the 1st gen Hyundai i20 would be similar to the i20 sold in the Europe. But the 2nd gen (Elite) i20 was never exported to Australia as it would not score well in crash tests indicating that Hyundai probably cut quality and offered lower safety on the Indian version of the car.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 05:14   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
Why would they not advertise their 4-star rating and promote the safety aspect of Magnite?
How do you trust brands like Renault-Nissan even if they advertise? These are few shady actions buy them in the past

1. Fitted inferior and small airbags in Indian version Duster
2. Kwid Indian version's pathetic build quality against superior export versions
3. Captur Indian vs Europe versions platform controversy

Also look at Datsun's track record in India
Latheesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 10:54   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
2. Kwid Indian version's pathetic build quality against superior export versions
3. Captur Indian vs Europe versions platform controversy
2. Applicable for any and every brand. Espresso SAF, Endeavour K-Truss are couple of examples. But the case here is Nissan is confident enough to give a statement in social media that domestic car is same as export spec which was tested and certified by ANCAP
3. I still fail to understand how inferior the platform in IND when compared to global CMF platform. Can you please explain?

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 21st February 2021 at 10:56.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 11:51   #81
Senior - BHPian

Notwithstanding the tweets from Nissan, I would still await the official release of the crash test report by ASEAN NCAP or the independent GNCAP tests before I believe the crash test rating.

I'd also like to know why Nissan does'nt just release the ARAI crash test reports publicly. We need much more transparency in this particular area.

However, I'm so happy that car companies are talking about car safety as a distinguishing feature. Such a refreshing change and shows that customers are now waking up and asking the right questions. Hope this change percolates across the industry, especially to the market leader.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:38   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Notwithstanding the tweets from Nissan, I would still await the official release of the crash test report by ASEAN NCAP or the independent GNCAP tests before I believe the crash test rating.

I'd also like to know why Nissan does'nt just release the ARAI crash test reports publicly. We need much more transparency in this particular area.
No one releases the ARAI crash test reports, so why single out Nissan ?
Also I think the reason why Nissan not shouting over the rooftops is that ASEAN tested cars may have different equipment albeit sharing the same body structure. Explaining all this in an advert to the regular Mrs/Mr Kumar would be a mouthful.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 22nd February 2021 at 10:39.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 11:49   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
How do you trust brands like Renault-Nissan even if they advertise? These are few shady actions buy them in the past
I am taking my words back.
Nissan confirmed that Magnite made in India for India is same as the car which got 4* in ASEAN NCAP test.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 19:57   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
No one releases the ARAI crash test reports, so why single out Nissan ?
Also I think the reason why Nissan not shouting over the rooftops is that ASEAN tested cars may have different equipment albeit sharing the same body structure. Explaining all this in an advert to the regular Mrs/Mr Kumar would be a mouthful.
I wasn't singling out Nissan. I'm aware that no one releases ARAI crash results, but considering what a lovely facility they've built with our Indian tax payer money, I was hoping that Nissan could perhaps take the high ground and release the ARAI crash test reports. They do seem to have a relatively SAFE car and it would only help enhance their reputation if they did show more transparency.

Anyways, I'm waiting for any Crash test reports, GNCAP, ASEAN, ARAI. Anything that is officially released.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 09:20   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
I wasn't singling out Nissan. I'm aware that no one releases ARAI crash results, but considering what a lovely facility they've built with our Indian tax payer money, I was hoping that Nissan could perhaps take the high ground and release the ARAI crash test reports. They do seem to have a relatively SAFE car and it would only help enhance their reputation if they did show more transparency.

Anyways, I'm waiting for any Crash test reports, GNCAP, ASEAN, ARAI. Anything that is officially released.
Going offtopic to explain why ARAI values should not be considered for any kind of benchmarking.

ARAI test reports are within the rights of ARAI management, So the decision to release the results will remain with ARAI (If they wanted it, they could've released the results of all cars, but they are clever at least in this case ) Also the crash tests conducted at ARAI is a checkpoint, not a measurable value to benchmark with rivals. It is the very basic minimum requirement to release a car in India, and the same is very inferior to any other tests available globally.

To me, with a good amount of experience working with ARAI for different tests including EV = They are a JOKE!

They are under the control of a few specific OEMs and their checkpoints are so poorly calibrated when compared to global specs. (The way they test EV range is a modified cycle method derived from old NEDC, that's how Nexon EV ARAI claimed range tops so ideal value)

So I would like to stick with your last statement instead of relying on ARAI for any data.

Quote:
Anyways, I'm waiting for any Crash test reports, GNCAP, ASEAN Anything that is officially released.
starke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 09:29   #86
BHPian

No doubt, Nissan is on the right track on building a safer car and clarifying the crash test score. However, marketing and highlighting this might actually backfire, seeing the general overall reputation of Nissan in our country. For many of safety conscious folks, anything less than a 5* score is immaterial. Since the mass market consumers are hardly aware of these crash ratings, this might work as a negative publicising. Imagine, to the unsuspected consumers (the biggest pie of this sector), how easily this data can be manipulated by a seasoned sales team from competition, like
1) It scored only a 4* on a cash test and not a 5, hence it’s not safe.
2) We have a better, premium feeling car that don’t require crash testing. Nissan only crash tested because their cars are not safe.
3) The crash score is just a gimmick.
4) Press the sheet metal and hear the closing door thud in our car. You can surely feel it’s much better than a 4* car. If crash tested, we would score better than Nissan.

Marketing anything less than a 5* is risky due to lack general awareness and might actually lead to a loss in market share. Nissan don’t have a large marketing kitty to change the perception if any of the above falsehood take precedence. I hope this changes in the coming days.

Last edited by meto : 23rd February 2021 at 09:39. Reason: Correction
meto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 09:43   #87
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This is a great news.
but the question remains same: Why Magnite NCAP test report doesn't mention market 'India'? (It mentions Indonesia only).
Any idea?
Old 23rd February 2021, 11:03   #88
BHPian

What we know So Far:
  1. Nissan Magnite (Turbo Variant) has scored 4 stargs in Asean NCAP ratings for an Indonesian markets
  2. The Kerb weights for the India spec and tested spec is the same
  3. Nissan does not have the volumes to have multiple specs for India and other markets so it would be safe to assume that it is the same car
  4. Autocar claims in a post that Nissan Magnite scored the 4 stars

However, the reasons that still confound me are:
  • Nissan has not advertised this in India - I know Mktg/PR personnel in large companies can be slow and/or stupid, but this just takes the cake.
  • Nissan has not released the details of the test report from ASAEAN NCAP or ARAI - yet

Based on the circumstantial evidence above, I would err on the side of optimism and assume that Nissan Magnite is indeed a safe car

But my problem is that there is no dealer for Nissan in Pune - would appreciate any information on new dealers coming up
Landmark Nissan, Pune closed down almost a year or two back
There is no place to service the car

Given this, I would like to steer clear of this car no matter how good and cheap it is.

However, I would still like to understand the safety rating for another variant of the same car sold as Kiger by Renault
Can we assume that the same safety ratings would spill over to Kiger
Renault does have some good outlets in Pune (PPS Motors) and I have been very happy with their maintenance (own a Scala for 7 years now)
Any pointers would be truly appreciated
INNOVATOR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 11:18   #89
AZT
BHPian

This then begs the question is the Kiger also equally safe. Unless the Nexon gets a price cut I think people won't be tempted to stretch anymore from their 10 lakh budget.
Old 23rd February 2021, 14:28   #90
Senior - BHPian

It’s clear - Nissan is here to stay! Their strategy and the steps taken to reassure their presence has been stamped strong by Magnite!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks