Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2021, 01:18   #16
bvk
BHPian

Re: Are cars with sunroofs safer or riskier in lightning strikes?

Yeah, I would sit tight like Hammond did. But perhaps fold my hands and legs (Padmasan) and pray
bvk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 03:58   #17
Team-BHP Support

Here is a report of lightning strike on a tesla with panoramic sunroof
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mode...ning-charging/
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 12:16   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_delight View Post
If lightning stucks the car, with or without sunroof, the end result will be same. You won't be able to come back here to post anything.

Questions like these are the outcomes of WFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Contrary; Likely, it won’t affect you at all! Look at the video with Hammond. He is happily sitting in that car whilst it is being pounded with lightning bolts!

It would be a problem in a soft top car. And preferably you would not be touching any exposed metal. But as long as you sit tight and wait it out, you should actually be fine.

Apart from being inside a sturdy building, being in a car during a thunderstorm is likely to much safer place than anywhere else!

Jeroen

Sorry for going OT: what happens to cars which are equipped with CNG / LPG cylinders during these lightning strikes? Do they cause the cylinders to blast? I know that these cylinders are fire proof but are they blast proof incase of these lightning strikes?
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 22:34   #19
rpm
BHPian

Is there any follow up to this report?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Here is a report of lightning strike on a tesla with panoramic sunroof
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mode...ning-charging/

This thread has taken an interesting turn. Not only did it answer some of my own questions, it also made me curious about those which I would never have contemplated myself: coconuts falling on roofs; type of fuel affecting safety in a lightning strike. I thank all BHPians for participating in the discussion, be it with their detailed answers, humour and/or new questions.

While the title of the thread may only seek answers to a subset of sunroof and lightning strike related safety questions, discussion about other questions pertaining to lightning strikes and/or sunroof is very much welcome and not something I consider off topic. I request others not to hesitate and ask away. After all, what better place to seek automotive answers than team-bhp?
Old 16th January 2021, 00:07   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Sorry for going OT: what happens to cars which are equipped with CNG / LPG cylinders during these lightning strikes? Do they cause the cylinders to blast? I know that these cylinders are fire proof but are they blast proof incase of these lightning strikes?
As long as these are mounted inside the car, I.e. inside the Faraday cage, nothing will happen. Just like nothing happens to the (metal) fuel tank either.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 08:47   #21
BHPian

In older cars, I think the bolt would most likely strike the antenna. (I do not recollect the exact reason but the lightning's path usually shifts towards pointed objects). So it is unlikely to strike the sunroof first. It may not be the same situation with newer cars with the fin type ones.
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 09:34   #22
BHPian

So, the recommendation is to sit inside the car and not touching any metal objects.Oadmasana Style. Fair enough. But, what if it happens while you are in the motion?

Sunroof glasses are toughened glasses so they won’t be breaking so easily unless the corners are the impacted area.
The new question is which company does a cost cutting by providing a lesser thick toughened glass for its sunroof?
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 14:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

Slightly related topic here, referencing Autocar India's visit to the Harrier plant, see what the gentleman has to say about sunroof strength.

The relevant portion starts at around 9:35.
fhdowntheline is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 12:31   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
While at it, another question springs to my mind: How about.... An EV vs God's mortal zapper?
I found this on searching, apart from the Tesla, where the lightening struck close to it while charging.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/electric/research/servicing/battery-safety

From the link above:
As during any thunderstorm, remaining unprotected outdoors and having any contact with electrical equipment should be avoided. Damage to the vehicle’s internal electrical circuits and to the charging station may result in cases of lightning strikes to the car or in its surrounding area. Charging stations therefore generally have overvoltage protection. It is best to ask the operator of the charging station about the presence of suitable protective devices.
NG_EV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks