Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2021, 18:02   #91
rpm
BHPian

Re: How important is our concern for safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Small observation - Tata`s website mentions about GNCAP rating of 4 stars for Tigor, 5 Stars for Altroz - thats it.
This does bring back vague memories of some discussion I remember reading on team-bhp when I was not a member but a frequent visitor. I frankly do not have any rebuttal to this and may have to drop down to 3/5. Do you happen to know of that discussion?
Old 20th January 2021, 18:11   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
This does bring back vague memories of some discussion I remember reading on team-bhp when I was not a member but a frequent visitor. I frankly do not have any rebuttal to this and may have to drop down to 3/5. Do you happen to know of that discussion?
No Sir, I`m a quiet guy.

My response was purely based on my observation from their website. Tata has not mentioned about the GNCAP thing in their website (at least I could not find it) about other vehicles - only Tigor and Altroz. Mahindra does mention this about XUV3OO, Thar and Marazzo - they have these vehicles feature in a road safety campaign as well for good measure although these aren't their top sellers.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 18:56   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
2020 has been a year to forget, ironically it is the one that will be remembered forever.
SAFETY has been the most discussed topic these days. If ever there was an award for "Word of the Year" it would go to "SAFETY" hands down in my opinion and rightly so, given the pandemic situation we are all in. This presents me an opportunity to touch upon a few things that have been lingering in my mind since last few months.

Whenever a crash test rating for a particular vehicle is published or whenever a vehicle gets involved in an unfortunate road accident, a lot of buzz is created on social media. Lot of netizens go ga-ga over SAFE cars or bash UNSAFE cars. People take pride in owning SAFE cars, which is absolutely perfect. But people who own the so-called UNSAFE cars are looked upon as criminals! The UNSAFE cars are called tin cans, carts, coffin on wheels and what not. And the owners of such vehicles are called morons, idiots and stupids! Alas! This is how we treat our fellow motorists for buying something they have long aspired for, spending their hard earned money.

In that case, a lot of sinners and very few saints in this world. Period!

Completely Agreed!
Everyone buys a car based on their requirements and budget. Maruti cars(mindlessly criticized as tin cans offer a lot of value for money for buyers on a tight budget, not just in buying but in maintenance as well).
Not at all a fanboy or promoter of Maruti, I just love cars and respect everyone's decision based on their requirements and hard-earned money spent.
We should focus on our driving habits more than anything in my opinion.

One example for reference: driving a 5-STAR Tata Nexon might save the occupant of Nexon but careless driving of Nexon can kill others on the road!!

I have tried to propagate safe driving information in ways that people may watch and get a message along with some fun in the below video:

himanshumor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 22:03   #94
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Vigilantism is a huge problem in our country.

With the advent of social media and better internet access, people have now been able to showcase this vigilantism on a larger scale.
Quoting my own post here to showcase an example of vigilantism. I reacted to a couple of fanboy posts from this guy on Team BHP's Facebook post on Altroz turbo petrol (dated 21st Jan)which bruised his ego and he sent me this-

How important is our concern for safety?-screenshot_20210202215913_messenger.jpg

I repeat- 'Vigilantism is a huge problem in our country'.

Last edited by AYP : 2nd February 2021 at 22:14.
AYP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 22:45   #95
BHPian

In the last fortnight or so, I have come across a few rather interesting topics and people on social media and outside. A few of them believe themselves to be the torchbearers as far as road safety is concerned. They seem to care for their families so much that they are unwilling to travel in their friends'/relatives' cars which are not rated 5 stars for safety. Some of them are so thorough with the traffic rules that they have enough knowledge to preach all day long. Surprisingly, when it comes to practising what they preach, end up doing this-

How important is our concern for safety?-img20220501wa002601.jpeg

1. No, I did not see this person preaching anyone. I'm only highlighting the unsafe practice in one of the safest cars in India. Yesterday on Bangalore - Mysore highway, the car was doing near triple digit speed and my co-passanger clicked the picture on the move. Do safety ratings really matter!?

2. People are happy to ride their two wheelers helmet-less on main city streets for grocery shopping, dropping kids to school, a routine smoke and a lot more.

3. People are more than happy to let their kids bicycle on busy city streets with zero protective gear.

4. Even a heavy weekend booze doesn't stop a few people from driving their top rated safe cars!

No bigger hypocrisy than this!

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd May 2022 at 05:03. Reason: Minor typo. Fixed as requested.
Emvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 08:05   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the unsafe practice
Confession: it's not too long since I've stood out of a sunroof in a moving car, last around 2018, I reckon, in fact I've been doing it since 2013 when I had to stand on the armrest to even peek out of the sunroof. I think I'm still enough of a kid to do it but I voluntarily choose not to because I've learnt how dangerous it is, and the rear belt has become a habit now.

Honestly, I'll be blunt here but I don't blame myself or my parents for it because no one told us it was dangerous, and since we'd seen other kids doing it we genuinely thought it was what the sunroof was for.

My suggestion: a mandatory big, bold red-yellow regulatory warning label on the roof liner behind the sunroof warning of the risks of exposing body parts out of it. Because I'm confident that at least a fraction of those who presently do it would stop just if they knew that wasn't its intended use. Some will still continue.

Quote:
People are more than happy to let their kids bicycle on busy city streets with zero protective gear.
Again, guilty. In theory safety is paramount, but in practice I choose how much gear I wear depending on whether I'm going alone or with others. A helmet is non-negotiable; knee, elbow and wrist pads only if I'm cycling alone or skateboarding. One time on my bicycle I didn't notice a new speed breaker and hurt my hand quite badly (not wearing wrist guards), despite that I still choose to wear wrist guards on a case-by-case basis just because it's embarrassing.

Quote:
one of the safest cars in India.
It isn't. Nothing is. The Nexon has best-in-class frontal car-to-car crash protection. Safety is too complex to quantify overall like that and compare as 'less' or 'more'; even in the best of safety ratings (Euro NCAP, for example) there will always be a number of risk factors not considered: visibility, intrusive connected tech, distracting controls, the list goes on.
ron178 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 11:03   #97
Senior - BHPian

Forget YouTube comments section, I was part of Tigor owner's club WhatsApp group, only 3 things were commonly posted, issues with the car and service, mileage, finally random dumb post about rival brand cars crashing into Tata.

Remember one instance where a video of Swift Dzire bumping into a parked Hexa, clearly smaller car took all the damage(mismatched bumper height plays a huge role too along with poor build quality) shocking thing was people were so happy to see the Dzire's damage! One guy even comment that he deserved it for getting a Maruti.

It's clearly easy to brainwash people these days. Just create an image of you vs the other team, make everything look black and white, so that they take sides without being neutral, Watch them defend your side without paying them a single Rupee.

No Tata car owner would agree that Urban Cruiser/brezza petrol are safer than their 4 star Tiago/Tigor, they will defend the point with their life.

For me safety will always be a combination of good active safety, powerful engine and dynamics being important ones along with other gadgets like ESP, reasonably safe chassis that doesn't crumble like chips.

Last edited by giri1.8 : 3rd May 2022 at 11:05.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 12:36   #98
BHPian

While the aspect of safety and any small steps taken to improve it is welcome, the problem comes when this gets taken to extreme like for example some commenting that "they will never get into a car that scored less than 4 stars". This selective application of safety rules is one of the major problem seen among the social and online forums. What happens to the safety rule when the same person needs to commute on a two-wheeler, cab or auto?

While many in this forum are aware of the details of the NCAP testing methods and ratings, with the common public, the assumption is that a 5 star rated car is invincible. They have no idea that it is a rating provided under controlled environment for a specific frontal impact. What happens when the same car has roll-overs or gets read-ended? We dont know and can only assume as these are not tested. But ask around in common circles and the impression people have is 5 star rated cars are basically tanks and nothing can happen to them which is wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
It isn't. Nothing is. The Nexon has best-in-class frontal car-to-car crash protection. Safety is too complex to quantify overall like that and compare as 'less' or 'more'; even in the best of safety ratings (Euro NCAP, for example) there will always be a number of risk factors not considered: visibility, intrusive connected tech, distracting controls, the list goes on.
As ron178 said it beautifully, the word safety is very loosely used and can provide a false sense of security. Add to this some sensationalizing content across whatsapp/facebook/youtube also creates a subconscious bias in people without them considering various aspects involved in each and every accident.

All said to me the best safety aspect in a car was and will always be the driver. Rest of the safety features are secondary and are good aids to the driver but with patience and sensible driving one can avoid getting into situations where the passive safety features are needed to save life 99% of the time. There are exceptions and rare situations where things will be out of our control of course. Patience, anticipation, attention and defensive driving is the first line of safety that a driver needs to think about.

Last edited by praveen_v : 3rd May 2022 at 12:38. Reason: correct typo
praveen_v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 14:57   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post

It's clearly easy to brainwash people these days. Just create an image of you vs the other team, make everything look black and white, so that they take sides without being neutral, Watch them defend your side without paying them a single Rupee.

All fundamental flaws can be glossed over easily with Crash Worthiness. Once the offices open the fuel and maintenance bills will keep things a bit quieter
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks