Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2021, 01:01   #31
BHPian

Re: Delhi performs the worst, Kolkata the best in Ford Road Safety survey

Surveys like this are misleading in the sense that the sampled population is a minuscule percentage of the whole. I find it hilarious that Kolkata tops the chart. One only need to travel on the Barrackpore-Kolkata road any time of the day to get the real picture. The drivers are unruly, bikers cut in & out, & the most devilish are the bus drivers with their constant "pap-pap-pap-pap" honking & racing. Having driven extensively in all the cities, I find Mumbai to be relatively the best. Heavy traffic, yes, but fairly disciplined compared to the rest.
superbad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 01:21   #32
BHPian

Been driving in Delhi for 8 years and i feel the survey is not fully indicative of the ground reality. Have driven my fair share in Jaipur & Mumbai and in my personal experience Delhi fares better in terms of road safety, can't comment on the others. From my little experience driving in Jaipur over the years, i found road users to be even more lawless than most parts of Delhi!

Sure, Delhi has a lot of drivers and riders who drive like the roads are their backyard but it all depends where in the city your usual commute takes you. From my little experience driving in Jaipur over the years, i found road users to be even more lawless than most parts of Delhi!
Also surprised that all perils of the roads have been mentioned but slow drivers hogging onto the right lane! What is one supposed to do when no one on the roads respects or even understands lane system- turning left from the rightmost lane to jaywalkers giving the classic 'hand' signal to cross on a green light to people coming to a complete stop when they exit/join a flyover; the list can be separate thread by itself. Majority of the cops turn a blind eye in favor of making a quick buck and even if all their interests were aligned, there isn't enough of them to enforce traffic discipline in the city. That's why it's hard to be an idealist on the road in Delhi, you have to accept how the city behaves and adjust your ways to get where you're going. Don't get me wrong, i'm in no way promoting driving like an idiot but one's gotta adapt and do what you gotta do.
991.2GT3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 01:22   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

I am from Calcutta and my car doesn’t have a scratch yet !!

Says much ?

Yes, the autos are unruly, the bikers cut you out front, the buses honk like crazy but the traffic is still better managed then many cities and I have driven in almost all of them except one or two !!

One thing that stands out in Calcutta is that the rate of daily accidents is quite less compared to other metro cities and that says quite a lot about safety.

Yes, the one off incident will always happen but more or less, the safety side is still good. Due to many cameras all over the city as well as random checking by Calcutta police, I would be tempted to say that Calcutta scores in terms of road safety.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 17:37   #34
BHPian

Having driven for many many years in Delhi and Hyderabad both I have to say that I find the traffic situation in Delhi much better. When I say Delhi I mean proper Delhi, not Gurgaon and Noida.

For example, as you enter Delhi from Gurgaon via the national highway the first change you'll see is that all the commercial vehicles stick to the left side of the road as much as possible. These are the same guys who play Need for Speed when they cross Ambience mall after entering Gurgaon.

For anyone wanting to look at more stats related to this, here's a dashboard made available by MORTH (updated with stats up to 2018). Click on the state to see detailed stats about it.
https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrI...MiOjEwfQ%3D%3D
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 01:05   #35
BHPian

Another interesting pattern that goes hand in hand with this survey is public honesty survey. Tamilnadu apparently ranks amongst the highest returns in wallet test, whereas Delhi scores the least.

Most Viewed