Team-BHP > Road Safety

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2007, 23:40   #31
BHPian

phew that was a scary accident.i am not very sure,but i think we get to see more of such deadly accidents on kerala roads.the main problem i feel is the roads being too narrow(most stretches are still 2-lane)and of course,erratic driving

max,wasnt the mercedes at fault here-i mean it was doing an overtaking manouvre and i presume was on the wrong side of the road-so how can the owner fight the case with the bus fellows??
Old 21st April 2007, 08:06   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
omg couldn't believe the amount of blood on the airbag i think the driver had no chance btw the airbag i think didn't open completely

Lower half opened. chances are that the eriver was not belted up
Old 21st April 2007, 20:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
It was to prevent such accidents that all new CVs need to have anti crash bar in front and rear. From the looks of it, this bus was very old. This rule should be made for all new and OLD LCVs too.
When you hit a bus that high, crumple zones to not matter, the entire impact was taken by the upper half of the car. When manufacturers test cars for crashes they collide with obstacles at same level, not such scenarios.
You are exactly right Tsk. the anti crash bar you talk about is termed 'under-ride guard'. The merc in this case is designed to absorb impact when it hits somethign at bumper height. when the car goes under, the A pillar/windsheild hits the obstacle and it has no strength to absorb the impact.
In the US, rear underide guards are mandatory for trucks and it has to be at a certain height from the ground. In the Europe rear + side guards are required.
Reason for this is because they have mostly divided roads so head on collisions are not common.

Merc trucks are also offering frot guards to prevent cars from submarining under. This I believe is v v important for India where head ons are so common. Of course our stupid government is probably not even heard of this.

Last edited by Mpower : 22nd April 2007 at 02:17.
Old 21st April 2007, 21:11   #34
rks
BANNED

Let us not be too quick to blame the bus driver for not slowing down. It would have been extremely difficult for the bus driver to read the situation and react in time if the Merc was doing, say, 130+ speeds; especially if the accident happened at night (did it?), when speeds and distances are more difficult to judge. E.g. the Merc guy could have been keeping to his side of the road and suddenly pulled out to overtake at high speed, giving the bus driver next to no time to react. Plus do we know for sure that the bus driver made no effort to brake?

Last edited by rks : 21st April 2007 at 21:17.
Old 22nd April 2007, 12:30   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Let us not be too quick to blame the bus driver for not slowing down. It would have been extremely difficult for the bus driver to read the situation and react in time if the Merc was doing, say, 130+ speeds; especially if the accident happened at night (did it?), when speeds and distances are more difficult to judge. E.g. the Merc guy could have been keeping to his side of the road and suddenly pulled out to overtake at high speed, giving the bus driver next to no time to react. Plus do we know for sure that the bus driver made no effort to brake?
It happened approx at 8:40 AM. Visibility was clearly not the issue for the mishap , another friend of mine got a news from the local garage that the bus driver was trying to show off to a bunch of ladies .
Old 22nd April 2007, 13:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

Still it does not absolve the merc driver,High speed driving plus overtaking when he could see a bus approaching ,why should the bus stop for a merc to overtake.
Many a times the drivers of such cars are purely arrogant on the road and expect to be treated like royalty by everyone else on the road
Old 22nd April 2007, 17:58   #37
BANNED

driver was the owner of the car or working for the owner ? if working why would the owner let him drive so rash in the first place putting his life in danger as well ? or owner driving on ticking time bomb with family involved, havent read the full thing but just thinking... why...
Old 22nd April 2007, 18:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Ianother friend of mine got a news from the local garage that the bus driver was trying to show off to a bunch of ladies .
see ladies cause another accident on the raod wether directly or indirectly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
driver was the owner of the car or working for the owner ? if working why would the owner let him drive so rash in the first place putting his life in danger as well ? or owner driving on ticking time bomb with family involved, havent read the full thing but just thinking... why...
from what i have understand till now is that a driver hired by the man who owns the ill fated merc was driving the car and the time of the accident and the owners son and father in law was sitting in the back seat

correct me if i am wrong
Old 22nd April 2007, 19:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

Cant blame the bus driver if he had nowhere to go. Braking is not gonna help. Only thing he could have left the road by swerving left if there was space, but there are 60 lives at risk in his hands as opposed to 3.
Old 22nd April 2007, 20:01   #40
Team-BHP Support

kearal bus drivers are bunch of maniacs, either they are speeding and bullying everyone on the road OR stopping in middle of the road

further you go from south the manic tendency increases, with better roads but in 2 lanes format one needs to be at his/her alert best if driving in highways of kerala
Old 22nd April 2007, 23:55   #41
BHPian

i'd blame the driver of the mercedes, it is his responsibility to make sure there is room to overtake, before doing so. he was a moron if he assumed the bus driver would move over/slow down for just 'a car'.
Old 23rd April 2007, 00:05   #42
Senior - BHPian

I have seen these bus driver to they just blink the head light and keep coming and some of the bus driver don't leave thier lame only even if you keep honking going in the fast lane at 60 max

i think both the drivers at fault as it take two hands to clap
Old 24th April 2007, 16:38   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't think its entirely the driver's fault.
No driver, driving such an expensive car, with the owner sitting inside would drive so rashly.
How about looking at the possibility that the owner's son and the father - in - law were getting late and forced teh driver to drive rashly?
Old 8th August 2009, 09:15   #44
BHPian

Very Sad sight.

I once also was overtaking. Suddenly the ST Bus moved away and I saw a Large Truck coming my way!!!

He did not slow down at all. I went off the road and nearly fell off a cliff. The ST Bus had blocked the view of the road for me.

Sweet thing was that I later caught the ST and passed it.
All this so that I would not be able to overtake the ST. Stupid idiot ST Driver.
Old 28th June 2010, 18:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

Max BHP , I just dont know how I missed this thread.

The son-in-law of the famous Bangalore based builder who hails from Kerala was at last saved , he got his life back.

Thank you to the Doctors of JMMC.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed