Team-BHP > Road Safety

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 19:20   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I am sure the bus driver escaped with no injuries. As far my highway knowledge goes, one should give way to the vehicle which is involved in an overtaking maneouvre. As is always the case, the bus driver thinks the road belongs to him, and refused to slow.
well, the first thing to keep in mind is one should not depend on other's brakes to save one's own life. the car driver should have taken enough time to think before overtaking. Bus driver could have braked out of courtesy, but he couldn't estimate the merc's speed, when it's doing really high speeds.
Old 29th June 2010, 10:27   #47
Senior - BHPian

OT to this thread, but important, i thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
...I once also was overtaking. Suddenly the ST Bus moved away and I saw a Large Truck coming my way!!!

He did not slow down at all. I went off the road and nearly fell off a cliff. The ST Bus had blocked the view of the road for me.

From what you have stated, it looks like you were overtaking blind. PLEASE DRIVE SAFE.

Never overtake a vehicle by following another vehicle (which is overtaking the first one) without knowing if the road ahead is clear or not. The bus driver would have seen the lorry coming and would have calculated that he would be just able to overtake the other vehicle before the lorry reaches. You cant go blindly behind the bus and expect the lorry to slow down for you.

(PS : sometimes the buses which overtake at such close tolerances, will indicate with the left turn indicator that there is a vehicle coming in the opposite direction, so any vehicle following the bus closely can take this cue and not follow the bus to overtake )

Quote:
...and I saw a Large Truck coming my way!!!
He did not slow down at all. ....
This is standard-operating-procedure of HCV and bus drivers. We need to take this into account when overtaking.

Quote:
... Stupid idiot ST Driver.
I dont think it is the ST driver...please drive safe.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 29th June 2010 at 10:28.
Old 29th June 2010, 23:40   #48
Senior - BHPian

Please continue accidents related discussion in the Accidents in India Thread.

Thread Closed
Closed Thread

Most Viewed