Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2021, 12:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Owners can now report car defects on MoRTH's Parivahan vehicle recall portal

The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has launched a Vehicle Recall Portal on the Parivahan website, that enables users to register complaints about defects in their vehicles.

Owners can now report car defects on MoRTH's Parivahan vehicle recall portal-screenshot-20210712-124056.jpg

Once registered, users can submit complaints about faults in their vehicle, a specific component or software that may pose a risk to road safety or the environment. The complaint can be registered if the vehicle is within 7 years of purchase. Based on the complaints received, MoRTH will perform screening, analysis and investigation of the vehicles and will announce a recall if required.

There was a need for a centralized agency like the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that would monitor, investigate and rectify defects in vehicles through safety recalls in India. The latest initiative by the government is certainly a step in the right direction

Thanks to Rohit Garg for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 12th July 2021 at 12:45.
TusharK is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 12:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Owners can now report car defects on MoRTH's Parivahan vehicle recall portal

Yes this an extremely great move by MORTH.

I have personally already submitted 2 last week and there are quite a few I know who have. However since the choices for the categories are limited to Safety and Environmental concerns there are few cases which may not get registered and will fall in a gray area. Nonetheless, still a great move.
Altocumulus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 13:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Owners can now report car defects on MoRTH's Parivahan vehicle recall portal

Wow, a step in the right direction. Honestly wasn't expecting this at all.
Nice to see that they've already integrated the dashboard in the portal available to see without registration.
Excellent move and hope this becomes the leader in vehicle safety and customer protection in India.

Last edited by shancz : 12th July 2021 at 13:21. Reason: cl
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 13:53   #4
BHPian

I am planning to post the Baleno steering issue. I request other owners to post the same.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...behaviour.html (Why the heck will Maruti-Suzuki not fix its defective & dangerous steering behaviour?)
amvj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 14:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

I had posted about this earlier in the related thread - Link (1-crore fine for vehicle recalls in India)

I hope complaints are taken seriously and this does not end up being a 'checkbox' initiative.

The Hyundai Creta / Seltos brake failures makes a good case to be reported considering there were so many reported on the forum itself.
fiat_tarun is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 14:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful initiative.

Positive side: Very easily, common issues can be logged and Government can decide and pose penalty to Manufacturers if they don't recall their products proactively, in spite of common issues found.

Negative side: if not implemented with transparency ( like, no. of common issues logged by public, visible to public, number of recalls done by manufacturers proactively, number of penalties paid by manufacturers for not initiating proactive recalls , etc), then another chain of beneficiaries will be created from this initiative starting from some Government RTO Officer till transport minister. They will have some internal adjustments with manufacturer, do some systemic changes and reduce the common issues.

This has a huge potential of becoming a big lobby between manufacturers, Government officials and ministry.

Last edited by gkveda : 12th July 2021 at 14:03.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 15:00   #7
bht
BHPian

Renault Duster 110ps injector issue would be apt entry for this.
bht is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 15:44   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Wondering if the rattles and squeaks that are standard on all Marutis and Hondas qualify as ‘defects’.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Wondering if the rattles and squeaks that are standard on all Marutis and Hondas qualify as ‘defects’.
Things like the Renault and VW injector failures, VW water pump issues, DSGs, Hyundai/Kia brake problems and silencer rust complaints… all of them will get highlighted.

Last edited by Sheel : 12th July 2021 at 17:03. Reason: Back to back posts.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 15:47   #9
BHPian

Excellent initiative. If possible, I suggest all VAG owners to post about the DQ200 DSG issues. Not expecting that VW would start a recall, but at the very least this may make it easier to claim a goodwill warranty if/when things go south.
s4ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 17:33   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful move
At least some common agency is recording the voice of customer and we wish they were treated properly.

Meantime I feel sorry for the one who is going to review all these issues. Let me share few examples from crybabies (from FB mostly)

- After I lock the vehicle if I press the request button in trunk, trunk door is opening (Subject vehicle has smart key and the person is operating the request switch with smart key in his pocket)
- I figured out an issue in my car today, while getting out I accidentally pulled the headlamp stalk, lamp doesn't switch off (follow me head lamp function)
- After taking the key out my HU doesn't work. I checked the headlamp, horn everything works except the HU
- I had to tow my car after electrical issue (engine doesn't crank) Brake didn't work and I crashed the tow vehicle in a signal
- I got top end car but my spare wheel is from Low / mid grade
- Low end model has 2 glove box but my car (high end) has only one. Subject vehicle is with Passenger Airbag

Let me add the sources, may be not here, but in Jokes thread
Mr.Boss is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 23:26   #11

I feel it's a good step in the right direction because car manufacturers often neglect Indian customers and strip down features, safety equipment, and quality. So this will be a great initiative if used correctly and proper action is taken.

My addition to the recall list will be headlights of the Hyundai Venue. I'm sure other Venue owners will relate
AutoV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 13:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Owners can now report car defects on MoRTH's Parivahan vehicle recall portal

A welcome move

Good to see something like this shape up. Small steps like these can lead to addressing a bigger issue. However I do hope they appoint an expert panel of folks well versed in automobiles who can take the right call on the issues pointed out. This will also make manufacturers take a wake up call and rectify issues as much as possible rather than use the customers as guinea pigs.
Old 13th July 2021, 23:05   #13
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Owners can now report car defects on MoRTH's Parivahan vehicle recall portal

This is a simple and sensible thing to do. How come I never thought of it?

Goes to show how we take a step in the right direction to be impossible, based on the past governments' lack of intent in this direction.

Definitely a good news for the following group of owners who suffered:
-Hyundai Paint peeling from rear hatch doors
-Duster 110PS engine injector failure
-Hyundai brake-failure
There should also be a page to report things like - High intensity headlamps on certain cars / scooters - which other road users can report.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 23:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
There was a need for a centralized agency like the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that would monitor, investigate and rectify defects in vehicles through safety recalls in India. The latest initiative by the government is certainly a step in the right direction
This is the part I'm skeptical about. We have not heard of any agency in our country who is competent enough to "monitor, investigate and rectify defects". On paper, the initiative looks promising and a step in the right direction. It may take some years for things to shape up.

If implemented brilliantly, this can change the landscape of Indian automotive space. Finally, we're seeing the birth of a lemon law of sorts in our country. If car manufacturers start to become wary of their botch ups and realise they can't get away, this programme would at least be half successful and I really hope it happens at some stage.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 13th July 2021 at 23:29.
Old 14th July 2021, 11:37   #15
BHPian

A very good initiative. Let us be positive enough to welcome this step and this could be useful in improving the safety and environment as a whole for all road users.

Most Viewed