Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2021, 15:51   #31
BHPian

Re: Car horns to sound like musical instruments (Tabla, Flute etc): Nitin Gadkari

The idea of horn is to sound unpleasant so that people/animals/animal like people move out of the way. If they hear something that is pleasant and they like it, i doubt some people will never move out of the way, and also say "please continue the horn"
vennarbank is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 16:21   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car horns to sound like musical instruments (Tabla, Flute etc): Nitin Gadkari

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioYadav View Post
One thing which would definitely be ‘music to my ears’ is if the Volkswagen horn gets banned.
It is loud, harsh & unpleasant sounding in residential areas & has a very notorious fan-following with even other brand car owners also replacing their stock horns with this !!

I know I might be ruffling a few feathers with the above statement but that is how I feel about it.
You’re right. In fact what makes it worse is that the Vento has horn blasts as the lock/unlock sounds. I am not willing to subject my neighbours to that racket so got mine muted at the VW ASS in my first servicing. Sorry for going off topic!!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 17:39   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Another brainwave from our Hon'ble Minister if the news is true ! We are constrained to know that even on the
I wish he would just come out and say it - "We are a nation that has the maximum number of bullock carts, and humans are most at peace with cows, bullock and the like around them. We will ban all other forms of transport"
Old 3rd September 2021, 18:33   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

So he wants us all to have horns like this?

Probably a statement couple of months late, should have been announced on April 1st.
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 22:25   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Since this has been mostly reported in Marathi language media, I suspect it either something lost in translation or more likely, Gadkari's wry sense of humour at work.
Here's the video of the quote.
Some of our Marathi speaking members can comment if anything was lost in translation.

https://marathi.abplive.com/videos/n...adkari-1001255
saion666 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 22:44   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
Here's the video of the quote.
Some of our Marathi speaking members can comment if anything was lost in translation.

https://marathi.abplive.com/videos/n...adkari-1001255
The translation in the article is on-point. Nitin Gadkari is renowned for his dry humour skills and the video does show him speaking on those lines, however cannot make out if he's actually serious or not. Will refrain from speculating further until we have some more information forthcoming in this regard.
IamNikhil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 22:55   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
One regional tune per state would be ideal. I would whole heartedly nominate this tune from the Kannada movie Thithi - for Karnataka registered vehicles.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 23:03   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
One regional tune per state would be ideal.
can totally imagine the chaos all over the country!
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 23:07   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
One regional tune per state would be ideal.
https://Youtu.be/FyvkcFhztzs?t=4
What about the newly launched BH registered cars?
saion666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 23:41   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Hopefully the Transport Ministry will recommend the best musical sounding horns to The Recording Academy (formerly the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences), Santa Monica, CA, USA, for the Annual Grammy Awards in a brand new category:-

"Best sounding musical motor horns from India".

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd September 2021 at 23:42.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 02:41   #41
BHPian

Scene 1: My way is blocked and I want it cleared
Scene 2: I need to honk. I play Tabla
Scene 3: Now more crowd dancing on my way

Scene 4: I play Flute
Scene 5: Some sat on the road in mesmerizing nods

Scene 6: I play bugle
Scene 7: School kids marching

Scene 8: Car parked on road. Myself marching.

By the way, listening to a single track can be pleasant. Two tracks at a time can be manageable. Three tracks at a time demands 100% CPU of brain borderline enjoyable. Anything more is mardi gras. An incoherent overlay of sounds is pure noise no matter it is tonal or not.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 4th September 2021 at 02:58.
Thermodynamics is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 08:56   #42
BHPian

Horns are horns! A single tune and should have the flexibility of using it as per requirement of duration.
-Imagine you have a musical horn set to 10 second length. Every time someone decides to use the horn, it would go off for 10 seconds and nothing can be done about it! In turn it would cause more noise pollution than already is.
-Also imagine in a traffic jam, everyone has their favourite song set it and all of them honking at the same time. Would it be a pleasant experience?
-And wouldn’t it become the case of alarm tune? All of us set our favourite songs for alarm or ringtone. At a point we despise them so badly and are much more lazy to change it and continue to live with it!

I use a pair or trumpet type horns for my car and regular disc type for my scooter.
A courtesy or request is always a two quick presses, Thanking is three quick ones and one long press for a rageful one!

With EVs in future, I believe this trend might take a change but not a really good idea. I hope there aren’t subscription charges levied for using horn or our choice other than the standard ones installed
Aravind_M92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 09:45   #43
BHPian

Music will play as cars crash into each other. Minimum governance is what we need. Otherwise we will be stuck with cops cracking down on these non approved horns.

With car owners who change their horns getting fined for changing their horns, even if they are within acceptable limits.
Old 4th September 2021, 10:19   #44
BHPian

Traffic intersections in the future will be like this I guess.

ZenMaster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 12:13   #45
BHPian

I see new business opportunity for luxury automakers down to the lower segments.

RR: We have exclusively tied up with A.R. Rehman for creating a 1/1 custom tabla-flute-violin melody only for your car. Just pay 15 lakhs extra.

MM: Here's a CX9 optional pro max plus plus variant with an optional tune by Armaan Malik, choose between different 5 tunes of customizations. Base variant will have normal bugle tune by Rajubhai band waala.

In reality: I sincerely hope this one is a rumor. How can a regular person distinguish otherwise for if its a sound playing on his headphone/in-car entertainment
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks