Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2021, 12:37   #16
BHPian

Re: 1.2 lakh people died in road accidents in 2020 | Despite Covid restrictions, WFH & lockdowns

The list of reasons for these unfortunate deaths is endless. Govt which neither has the mental capability to even address this problem, lack of apathy towards citizens lives and an uninformed public which has accepted this much fatality as it's destiny, a culture where the bigger vehicle is always at fault in an accident, lack of individual space to a vehicle on road (coming centimeters close casually) and millions and millions of low IQ drivers who don't have any idea of gravity of their actions on the road. An apathetic goverment and lack of enforcement feeds impunity on road where tribal traffic rules are observed.
Enough of complaining. What can we do at our level to be safe ourselves?

1. How much ever be the traffic on the road, we should remember most of our roads are NOT designed to do 100kmph plus on a regular basis, even most of the highways. If you exceed, you are stretching the probability of against you. And consistently maintaining this discipline is ONLY way to be safe. I know it's tough but it's good to maintain this in back of the mind.
2. Driving in night is extremely risky especially on undivided highways where high beams are always ON. Night driving should be avoided at best and if needed, lower speeds should be observed. I try to still keep low beam most of the times despite oncoming traffic having it mostly ON and blinding. If we can all pledge that, we can make a difference at our level.
3. I know this will be controversial, two wheelers should be avoided altogether if you value your own life, at least in nights and on highways. Remember, getting maimed in an accident is a real and good possibility on two wheeler and may be worse than a death. Two times I almost decided to buy Kawasaki Ninja/Honda CBR but backed off at the last moment due to fear of safety.

4. Reckless and impatient driving breeds more impatient drivers on the road, so avoid it.

One of my colleagues recently died on road (motorcycle), another colleague had rib cage broken (again two wheeler, but survived. Was going wrong way. Each breath he took would ensure excruciating pain for couple of months).
5. Never buy/drive a car without airbags and needless to say always wear seat belts. I was myself involved in an accident (not driving) where the car skid and hit the concrete barrier at 70kmph. Though the car was totalled, me and the driver did not receive a scratch as seat belt restrained us. Two guys in the back bumped into each other and had minor injuries. Another friend of mine was with her sister (driver) and she hit the road barrier head on. Her sister broke her jaw as she was not wearing seat belt but he came unscathed. No other injuries.
6. Keep this figure in mind to scare you always:
Head on collision at a speed of 40kmph is equivalent to jumping from 4th floor and 75kmph collision is equal to jumping from 11th floor. And as per studies, humans rarely survive jumps of 4 floors or more, and if they survive, they usually spend 6-9 months on bed and recover with lifetime spine/hip deformation.

Remember, rash driving just does not kill, it also maims people.
Enjoy driving, with safety always in mind!!
OffRoadFun is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks