Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2021, 20:38   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore: Use of Bluetooth, earphones while riding / driving illegal

Using bluetooth inside car? NOT OKAY!!
Precariously holding mobile phone between angled neck and shoulder? Oh that's fine.
Most of the Zomato, Amazon, Flipkart riders are on phone all the time and no one gives a hoot.
Name:  Screenshot 20211003 203551.png
Views: 259
Size:  690.7 KB

Last edited by amol4184 : 3rd October 2021 at 20:42.
amol4184 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 21:23   #32
BHPian

I was once stopped in mumbai for using google maps on my phone which was placed in a phone holder, when I asked why he said as per Motor Vehicles Act phones should be switched off while driving & listening to music, as per him music can be played only when there are passengers.

He actually showed me the act sections.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th October 2021 at 09:07. Reason: edited
kkunal.shah is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 22:00   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Last week, the Bangalore Police announced a new rule banning the use of Bluetooth devices or earphones.
If I am not wrong this is a old news and this rule is there since 2019. But due to some reason this news has become viral now.

Here is the news link from July 2019, Source:https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/70301289.cms
Old 4th October 2021, 01:16   #34
BHPian

This is nothing but another revenue-generation gimmick by the cops; seems Covid has hit their coffers badly too.

There are many such "regulations/diktats" announced and then subsequently forgotten in lieu of newer ones.

Next thing we know, cops will sue automotive companies for providing Bluetooth functionality in cars!
Old 4th October 2021, 10:59   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A clarification will definitely follow that it's for "bluetooth headphones" and I agree with that.

- If you are using Bluetooth headphones for phone calls, well, that is already a no-no in many states.

- If you are using Bluetooth headphones for music, it is quite dangerous. Today's headphones are powerful and along with the music volume + noise cancelling feature, they do block out exterior sounds completely!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 11:07   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
my personal experience of walking with earphones have had its share of close calls. I firmly believe in the added layer of alertness amidst traffic
Perhaps you were walking wrong then. You're supposed to walk against the flow of traffic so that would be on the right side in our country. Also our country lacks pavements on most roads so it would be unfair to compare your experiences walking with earphones, with driving/riding with them. In a car with mirrors I do not see the need to have to hear everything outside. Heck modern luxo barges even include active noise cancelling as a much hyped feature. As long as one is driving properly, they simply do not have to hear the outside world.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 4th October 2021 at 11:11.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 11:10   #37
Senior - BHPian

In the larger context of this legal status and the other thread on hazards of using the advanced ICE systems in our cars these days, some scientific analysis needs to be done on what should be allowed.
In my view, a distracted car driver using the touchscreens to go over navigation pages or music folders, is equally or more dangerous than someone using bluetooth earphones.
Old 4th October 2021, 12:16   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Perhaps you were walking wrong then. You're supposed to walk against the flow of traffic so that would be on the right side in our country. .
In the city where I reside and the locality where I walk, two wheelers ride in all directions and also on footpaths, sorry but I cannot assume utopia around me by any measure. This is not a tirade against passionate earphone users and I can afford to not use them when behind the wheel
Old 4th October 2021, 17:10   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A clarification will definitely follow that it's for "bluetooth headphones" and I agree with that.
I agree with this, given the advancement in headphones technology. There have been multiple instances of people dying on tracks while crossing (though not legal) because they were using the headphones either listening to music or talking to someone and did not hear the train honk

But, does the law just states that or does it also restrict the usage of phones connected to car's Bluetooth is unclear. If it is also the second case, car manufacturers would stop providing those features in the car?

Last edited by aah78 : 4th October 2021 at 17:51. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 4th October 2021, 22:14   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmmachine View Post
Just want to share this picture which itself says everything.
idhe tamizhle solla mudiyuma? nandri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navrddy View Post
Ban is appropriate, there could be hundreds of use cases. We can't expect traffic police to define each use case, it is not practical and not possible.
Police are not supposed to define anything. They are only supposed to enforce existing laws and do nothing more or nothing less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navrddy View Post
I,am for ban of such Bluetooth, earphones , air-pods etc in all segments of transportation during driving.
Really? So, you never do and never ever have used Bluetooth in your car for anything at all?

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 4th October 2021 at 22:16.
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 22:27   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
idhe tamizhle solla mudiyuma? nandri.

Cheers
Roughly translated it means "paperum helmetum irukaanum.. road eppidi irundhaalum adhu thevailley (in local slang road ______ pochhu.) Hope this is what you wanted to hear with the tamil slang built in.

Cheers
DP

Last edited by Dieseldunk : 4th October 2021 at 22:29. Reason: addition
Old 4th October 2021, 23:29   #42
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Police are not supposed to define anything. They are only supposed to enforce existing laws and do nothing more or nothing less
Absolutely with you on this.
Since when did police took over the role of law makers?
I would support them fully to implement already existing laws and book violators instead of defining rules as per their whims and fancies.
It is the randomness of seriousness in enforcing traffic rules that is appalling to the core. A rule is a rule no matter what time of the day or who ever the person is committing it. But the harsh truth is that most of the cops pay heavily upfront to get posted in high revenue generating areas and think it is their right to make money in what ever means possible.

Sorry to digress, but take a look at the pic. I paid a thousand rupee fine for no fault of mine. I paid only to get back home as our 3 month old baby had woken up at home and we needed to be back home soon. I argued since there was no 'no-parking' sign board on the side of road I parked. More over, it was parked at a demolished site and was not even on the curb. Since cops wanted me to visit their police station and wait till their officer comes back from his rounds if i challenge the fine, i relented and paid the fine and moved on. Not before hanging my head in shame for having such people as public servants. Sigh. Enough of rant, god save my country
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore: Use of Bluetooth, earphones while riding / driving illegal-20191101_1338172.jpg  

HTC is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 09:45   #43
BHPian

Bluetooth earphones or any earphones while driving definitely is dangerous. But was this not already disallowed? I've seen cops stopping 2 wheelers if rider is using headphones of any kind irrespective of the purpose.

I'm sure car's bluetooth or ICE units are unaffected by this rule. But who knows, in future they may put up a new rule stating no more ICE in cars as it can be considered a distraction
Old 5th October 2021, 10:17   #44
BHPian

Between this and the RBI mandate to invalidate standing instructions, there seems to be no respite from arbitrary laws and even arbitrary enforcement. I don't use bluetooth ear pieces, but I can see how terrible this will be for guys who practically do business on the go - like swiggy/amazon delivery guys, ola/uber drivers etc. And you will be told that they can pull over and attend a call. Show me one place in Bangalore (or any city for that matter) where one could do this without impeding traffic flow...
sramanat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 10:44   #45
BHPian

Why do lawmakers make laws on such confusing levels!
What about using car's bluetooth for speaking?
And isn't using Google maps confusing enough?
People turn abruptly without any indication and when confronted, blame on Google maps instructions. With our brilliant internet connection, I've lost turns a lot of times!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks