Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2021, 14:12   #1
BHPian

Sweden: Car & motorcycle exhibit to show dangers of overspeeding

Some of you might have seen this before. This car and motorcycle were used as exhibitions to create awareness in road safety about 10 years ago.

This applies to those who tailgate and think they have full control.

The Honda rider was traveling at such a "very high speed", his reaction time was not sufficient enough to avoid this accident. Swedish Police estimate a speed of ~250 KM/h (155mph) before the bike hit the slow moving car side-on at an intersection. At that speed, they predicted that the rider's reaction time (once the vehicle came into view) wasn't sufficient enough for him to even apply the brakes.

The car had two passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car with them. The Volkswagen actually flipped over from the force of impact and landed 10 feet from where the collision took place. All three involved (two in car and rider) were killed instantly.

This graphic demonstration was placed at the Stockholm Motorcycle Fair by the Swedish Police and Road Safety Department. The sign above the display also noted that the rider had only recently obtained his license. At 250 KM (155 mph) the operator is traveling at 227 feet per second.

With normal reaction time to SEE-DECIDE-REACT of 1.6 seconds the above operator would have traveled over 363 feet while making a decision on what actions to take. In this incident the Swedish police indicate that no actions were taken.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1913
Size:  55.6 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2087
Size:  53.3 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1819
Size:  63.8 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1919
Size:  53.7 KB
Indian2003 is offline   (71) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 14:22   #2
BHPian

re: Sweden: Car & motorcycle exhibit to show dangers of overspeeding

My word! What a horrific crash. I’ve seen some horrible accidents, but this probably takes the crown amongst them all. What an utter fool must a person be to be doing 200+ KMPH, especially on a bike, at an intersection where you know civilians are present (regardless of whether the car was supposed to be there at the turn at that moment or not). The rider took not just his own life but that of two other innocent people as well.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 14:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

My my!! That's something I've never seen. Looking at accident pics, I used to think, there could never be something worse and here I am looking at one of the most bizarre pics. For no fault of the passengers in the car, they met their grave. Very sad, very very sad indeed.
Raghu M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 14:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

This video came into my mind seeing the accident picture.

ecenandu is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 15:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Horrific and tragic, two people lost their lives for no fault of theirs.

What I want to highlight is the innovative approach of the road safety department. Nothing else can leave a better impact than looking at this at a bike show.
The efforts at ensuring this doesn't happen again is commendable.

The reasons their roads are among the safest in the world if not already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
This video came into my mind seeing the accident picture.
Horrifying, what was the guy thinking!
I wouldn't even think of crossing 70kmph on those roads and traffic, no margin for error.

Respect the lady for the strength she showed to release the footage for common good.

Last edited by shancz : 8th October 2021 at 16:04. Reason: resp
shancz is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 16:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is a really old photo i guess, i remember seeing it first more than 15 years ago and it definitely left an impact, since I remember it clearly until now; that said, it definitely was a scary crash; my heart goes out for the car occupants, who paid a hefty price for no fault of theirs.

May the departed souls rest in peace.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 16:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
The car had two passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car with them. The Volkswagen actually flipped over from the force of impact and landed 10 feet from where the collision took place. All three involved (two in car and rider) were killed instantly.
Wonder how the three bodies were recovered from this mess with the motorcycle still inside??
Old 8th October 2021, 17:06   #8
BHPian

Wow that is absolutely horrifying. The reconstruction of the wreck after recovering the bodies must have been incredibly brutal.
Porcupine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 17:39   #9
BHPian

Good God! This is absolutely horrific!
As much as I feel sad about the people who died, I just hope the end was instantaneous and they did not suffer.

In India, not many are aware of the importance of keeping a safe distance (rule of the thumb: 2 seconds). Even if you do, the gap is immediately filled up by other vehicles. After 30 years, I have given up hope that things will ever improve. Nowadays I just start earlier and let each and every moron overtake me.
RedTerrano is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 18:49   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Wonder how the three bodies were recovered from this mess with the motorcycle still inside??
I wondered about that too. But then, I suppose that the wreck must’ve been cleared of the bodies (and blood), before the authorities decided to showcase it and let it be a sort of symbol of warning for others in a museum.
Old 11th October 2021, 11:13   #11

Re: Sweden: Car & motorcycle exhibit to show dangers of overspeeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Good God! This is absolutely horrific!
As much as I feel sad about the people who died, I just hope the end was instantaneous and they did not suffer.

In India, not many are aware of the importance of keeping a safe distance (rule of the thumb: 2 seconds). Even if you do, the gap is immediately filled up by other vehicles. After 30 years, I have given up hope that things will ever improve. Nowadays I just start earlier and let each and every moron overtake me.
I have benefited so many times myself because of the gap between the front car and mine. Sudden braking, distraction etc. But quite many times, other vehicles will insert themselves in the gap defeating the entire purpose of safe distance. It's like a Tetris game, everyone is trying to tightly fit in the spaces at high speeds.
amitkumarsi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 14:08   #12
BHPian

This shows that we Indians are much more sensible in riding\driving here in India. The reason being is we don't trust our fellow riders\drivers here.
Jokes aside, riding in India surly does equip us to ride almost anywhere in the world. We face some of the most difficult conditions in terms of roads, pedestrians or just foolish drivers. We simply cannot assume that others will follow the rules just cause you do.
Old 11th October 2021, 14:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

High speed riding is always risky, but I have always wondered why some people just dont slow the heck down at any intersection or junctions, have seen more than enough videos on this to make sure I am an extra cautious at such points. I am especially more vigilant at late nights.

Hope we do a similar exercise in India, for example, in theatres, just like showing those people eating/smoking harmful substances.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 15:59   #14
BHPian

This photo is haunting!! Got goosebumps seeing this.

I am so sure the car occupants didnt even realise that they were dead as it must have happened in an instant!!
Old 11th October 2021, 19:52   #15

Most Indian drivers are somewhat very over confident on their riding/driving skills. With only 1% of world's vehicle and 11% of accidents, this attitude coupled with inefficient RTO's is a major concern for a lot of accidents in the country. Defensive and super vigilant driving are the only things which can help us prevent accidents. Even this is many a times frowned upon by passengers in the vehicle but we must do what we have to.
I wish Indian authorities also undertake such exhibitions / visuals to raise awareness, however little it may be.
Sudeep Lakhotia is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed