Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2021, 20:08   #46
BHPian

re: Tata Punch secures a full 5-star rating in the GNCAP

Excellent again from TATA

It was expected that it'll score 5 stars but getting highest score on adult protection and 4 stars on child safety is simply outstanding. Thar still remains the best on Child safety marginally beating the Punch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
It's surprising that some of their cars, even five star rated ones, don't get ESC, side head protection airbags (neither combination torso+head nor head curtains) and three-point safety belts in the centre rear seat. Not even as an option.
ESP is standard from Nexon XE (base) variant and the models above. Even Altroz, Punch, Tiago & Tigor get a basic version of ESP known as Corner Stability Control. The Punch AMT gets a patented tech known as Traction Pro which helps in tricky situation. But yes, ESP/TC would make it more appealing.

I agree with you on side and curtain airbags. Cars with 5 stars + stable body shell + 6 airbags would only make it better. Atleast the Nexon needs to get 6 airbags as it isn't cheap/vfm compared to when it was launched
Karthik Chandra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 21:03   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
Commendable effort by TATA. I’m very happy and proud of TATA. It’s not a 3 or a 4 star, it’s a damn 5 star rated car for 5-8 lakh. Again, it’s not just another 5 star rated car, it’s a fiver with the highest adult protection score tested by GNCAP for India.
Of the top 10, 5 are from Tata, 3 from Mahindra! Once the results of XUV 700 is out, Maruti will be out and only Volkswagen will be left! It’s going to be interesting to see how the criminals at Maruti, Huyndai and Kia respond. Hope the Astor, Kushaq and Taigun score at least 4*, fingers crossed.

Punch with a turbo petrol and automatic would be a stunning gift from Tata! Hope that comes true.
The Rationalist is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 21:24   #48
Senior - BHPian

Amazing achievement. Tata is the company that is making safety affordable to nearly everyone - fist with the Tiago and now with the Punch.

It is easy to do it for an expensive car but doing it on a budget car with razor thin margins? Serious kudos to Tata!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 21:35   #49
BHPian

Proud achievement for Tata motors. Safety should be the first priority on Indian roads. This is a great news.Whereas international car manufacturers are reducing the safely levels of the cars sold in India, our Tata motors keeps improving their safety track on passenger vehicles.
Expecting an electric version Punch soon!!
Ranjith812 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 00:22   #50
BHPian

Kudos to Tata for focusing on Safety. Even if the car had less than 5* rating, it would have sold anyway. But no Tata being Tata wants 5* rating. Tata and Mahindra deserves more sales. Let other OEMs know people value other aspects also and not just Mileage.

I hope this positive image converts to sustained five digit sales for the Tata small to mid size Cars.
dsuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 00:42   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post

ESP is standard from Nexon XE (base) variant and the models above. Even Altroz, Punch, Tiago & Tigor get a basic version of ESP known as Corner Stability Control. The Punch AMT gets a patented tech known as Traction Pro which helps in tricky situation. But yes, ESP/TC would make it more appealing.
CSC and Traction Pro are not basic versions of ESP. They are additions to the ABS system which means they come into play only when the driver provides the brake input. Since ABS cannot actively generate braking pressure on this own there is only so much it can do.

These cannot replace an ESP system that can generate brake pressure and keep the car in control on its own.

The Nexon, Harrier and Safari have ESP as standard, so hoping the other cars in the portfolio get it soon.
fiat_tarun is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 02:00   #52
BHPian

I'd imagine plonking a CVT/torque converter would not make it cheap but this is a car I'd love to own if it had a proper auto box. Would have been the perfect 'point A to point B' sub 4m car if the transmission options were sorted.
Old 15th October 2021, 07:25   #53
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations to Tata Motors & all future Punch owners . Shows that cheap doesn't mean unsafe. Maruti, Hyundai are you guys listening?

The best designs in the market & the safest small cars. Tata sure is on a roll. We had predicted as such in our Official Review of the Punch. This was my line:
Quote:
As mentioned earlier, because the Punch has the same platform as the 5-star rated Altroz, we expect it to perform well in the GNCAP crash tests.
Perfectly managed drip-feeding too. First, the car's reviews came out last weekend, this long weekend is the good news on Dussehra (will definitely be a talking point at family & friends gatherings today) and Monday is the launch. Tata's PR knows how to stay in the news consistently in the build up to the launch. And well deserved, man! If you got 5-stars in the GNCAP for a mass market car, go ahead & shout it out from the rooftops! Big party at Tata HQ for sure.

The Punch is a great crossover, but fit for commuting & non-enthusiasts due to the 1.2L NA motor. Give it some turbo engines Tata so that more enthusiasts & affluent owners can also consider the car. You have the ammunition ready in your godown, simply load it into your gun!

Last edited by GTO : 15th October 2021 at 07:27.
GTO is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 08:41   #54
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Punch secures a full 5-star rating in the GNCAP

What an achievement man! Just look at the list:

Tata Punch secures a full 5-star rating in the GNCAP-f67c681b62fe47ff875a95a980392dbd.jpeg

Cheers to Tata! They’ve set a benchmark now. I think we can safely say (pun intended) they’ve shed that taxi image the brand was carrying for long.
Gannu_1 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 09:45   #55
BHPian

Many congratulations to TaMo on this stupendous result.

If they can provide a 5 star car to the customers at the expected price point, why can’t Maruti?

Guess it explains that MSIL just out of sheer greed has and will be continuing to dish out tin cans.
Old_Salt is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 09:53   #56
KPR
BANNED

I was dead against chosing a Tata car. Altroz and Nexon designs weren't my taste. I was against Punch for the raised GC of the car although the design is acceptable compared to Ignis. But such stupendous safety rating of Punch is making me to consider Tata Punch seriously. My next buy can be a Tata only if they discipline their dealers behaviour, new car niggles, diesel mill in Punch (may be). I can postpone my new car purchase until mid of 2023 to assess how Tata and Punch will be during that time.
KPR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 11:20   #57
Senior - BHPian

So Tata is saying "I" have the safest car with most features. Other manufacturers saying "we" will give you all the features compromising safety. The buyer's choice is what he/she is ready to compromise between features vs safety. Kia and Maruti were never a choice for me and with a mini SUV that Tata has produced I will be surprised if people will still choose tin cans over potential lifesavers.

Kudos to Tata. Another proud Tata Owner here. A Tata skeptic changed after buying a Tata after seeing what they can do in this space. Nano to me is still the best engineering marvel in our country. A 5 seater marvel.

Tata cars - Safest in the country. That should be their tagline going forward.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th October 2021 at 05:18. Reason: Typo
VW2010 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 12:33   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Also safety is important but never a big selling point in the automobile industry. Volvo will tell you that. It reached a point where Geely took it over. As long as you have enough of it, safety ceases to be an differentiator. The danger for me vis-a-vis Tata Motors is that it is the only differential selling point while Hyundai and Maruti have multiple.
Partially agree. Volvo designs were partially to blame here. The newer cars are bringing in sales. I am a two time owner of XC90 myself for that reason. I chose it over X5 and the Q7 not for price reason but safety reason. Having a decent looking car was also important to me. Now Volvo is ticking both boxes for a lot of people like me I think. In the UK, the XC90 is selling ~600 cars a month which is not usual for a 2015 launched car.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th October 2021 at 18:39. Reason: Quote tag fixed
999 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 12:55   #59
BHPian

Can anyone tell me if the manufacturer sends the car to GNCAP or GNCAP themselves buy them? If manufacturer sends, can Tata actually buy Maruti cars and send to GNCAP to test them?
Just curious.
raksrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 13:21   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
I can postpone my new car purchase until mid of 2023 to assess how Tata and Punch will be during that time.
Well, do keep an eye on my ownership threads (Storme & upcoming altroz 1.5 D) for real-time assessment of Kaveri Tata.

As of now, they are as greedy as any other dealership in Trichy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

Kudos to Tata. Another proud Tata Owner here. A tata skeptic changed after buying a Tata after seeing what they can do in this space. Nano to me is still the best engineering marvel in our country. A 5 seater marvel.

Tata cars - Safest in the country. That should be their tagline going forward.
Calling Nano the best engineering marvel is injustice to your ex- jetta and current endeavour.

All said and done, I am also sure you will love the modern tatas more.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th October 2021 at 04:47. Reason: Fanboy comment deleted
PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks