Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2021, 00:27   #76
BHPian

Re: Tata Punch secures a full 5-star rating in the GNCAP

Firstly, Kudos to Tata for 'punching' the face of manufacturers who sell unsafe cars in India and get away with it.

I am super happy and proud that Tata has finally brought a 5 Star car accessible to the masses.

Tata, please please focus on revamping your dealerships, upskilling personnel. Improve quality control in the factories. Ensure that the design and testing process is capable of weeding out the niggles and issues that crop up. I have test driven multiple Tata cars and all of them had some niggles which turned me off from buying one.

GNCAP is INFERIOR to most other NCAPs

Another thing about the Global NCAP ratings which does not include crash avoidance as a criteria. Many just assume that crash rating= safety rating which is not true for GNCAP. I just check the pages of ASEAN NCAP and ANCAP, both of them include Safety Assist as a parameter in the star rating along with Adult occupant safety and Child occupant safety. I feel most other NCAPs include crash prevention technology as an integral part of safety rating. I am sure GNCAP will get updated in future, but for now GNCAP crash rating does not give the full picture.

Just to clarify in layman terms, A car with 3 or 4 Star rating (E.g. Nissan Magnite) with crash avoidance tech such as ESP is superior in safety compared to 5 Star GNCAP rated car.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Punch secures a full 5-star rating in the GNCAP-screenshot-20211016-12.19.34-am.png  

Last edited by Godzilla : 16th October 2021 at 00:28.
Godzilla is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 11:04   #77
BHPian

Very proud and happy for Tata, definitely worth cheering for. The turnaround from Tata w.r.t PVs is stupendous. Good times ahead.

While the XUV3OO is basically the Tivoli if I am right, am happy Mahindra didn't tinker around it too much so it maintained its safety rating and they let the Indian market get a safe car

Together Tata and Mahindra are seriously upping the game in safety. I wish the same improvements are made towards reliability and part quality too.
Old 16th October 2021, 14:49   #78
BHPian

From Kitna Deti hai....to Kitna Rating Hai. The Indian automobile buyer has a bundle of choices to pick from.

Let's hope better sense prevails and people don't fall for the cosmetic gimmicks. Well that would be visible in the coming months.
Wason4699 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 07:24   #79
BHPian

Kudos to Tata on continuing their streak of safer cars with the Punch (one more “Punch” on the face of the competition that takes the market for granted and shamelessly sell sub-standard cars on purpose to the genera population

It is this very reason that makes my will and effort to avoid such manufacturers in the buying decisions in my family and friends circles; and I am glad the folks understand this differentiation.
Jaisalmeriya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 14:45   #80
BHPian

Its indeed a great achievement for Tata. They sure seem to be picking up their ACT !! From the time, they were considered a pure "commercial guys" to this new avatar is indeed heartening. They seem to be ticking the right boxes and boy, has the stock market responded!! and HOW!! Tata Motars has delivered 50% increase in their share price in the last one month and more than 100 % in the last one year.
Almost similar is the case for M&M!!
Old 18th October 2021, 00:35   #81
BHPian

Superb job by Tata motors. The whole team behind it has to be applauded for their efforts. Such a great package. I hope they offer more engine options in the future for the high mileage consumers (turbo diesel) as well as performance seeking customers (turbo petrol).
Old 25th October 2021, 20:05   #82
BHPian

An article from Firstpost on how the Punch was made to secure 5 GNCAP stars and why was it more challenging than the Altroz. Anand Kulkarni, VP - Product Line Head (ALFA platform) shares his thoughts behind the Punch achieving 5 stars and how Tata Motors wants to be the leader in vehicle safety akin to Volvo. He also mentions that the team is looking into the recent GNCAP regulation revision for 2022 and that safety regulations always evolve over time so OEMs have to keep updating the cars in their portfolio but Tata Motors intends to have safety as their DNA.

Some excerpts:
Quote:
The platform does have a role to play. The ALFA platform the Altroz and Punch are based on is a platform meant to deliver the highest safety products that conform to the highest safety standards in the market.
Quote:
it is challenging, because you're talking about a smaller footprint, and you're also talking about a minimal front overhang.. how much to allow it to deflect, deform or yield, and how much to allow to transmit to the passengers. It's always a balance that you have to strike, a budgeting that has to be done, and this has to be done appropriately.
Quote:
There are differences – we have an active pedal blocker, which eliminates the possibility of grievous leg injuries. We have reinforcements in certain areas, and we also have what is called the driver's anchor pretensioner.
Quote:
When you have a programme that runs on a platform that's going to sustain you for many years, it has to be a capable platform that can accommodate the upgrades that happen to regulations over a period of time.
Quote:
The GNCAP team has only recently revised and released the new protocol, which will become effective from July 2022. Our teams are currently studying how we would be able to manage this.
Quote:
Global NCAP provided a great platform to be able to participate in a global programme and show that these are cars which are safe. I'll be very humble in saying that the GNCAP experiences have taught us a lot. It has enabled us to make sure that our cars become ever safer without having to resort to adding weight or anything of that sort. We got challenged, and our engineers have delivered fantastic products.
Thanks,
Debrup
rupdeb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 12:04   #83
Senior - BHPian

New Global NCAP crash test results to be out soon

A new round of Global NCAP results is expected soon.

Name:  Screenshot 20211031 at 11.28.00 AM.png
Views: 209
Size:  392.7 KB

Global NCAP have uploaded an image welcoming Ms Carla Hoorweg, CEO of the Australasian New Car Assessment Programme (ANCAP), as a guest during their 'latest crash tests' on 28 October. They added that new results would be revealed soon. The image shows Ms Hoorweg and Mr Alejandro Furas, Secretary General of Global NCAP, standing in the crash hall and it can be seen in the background that there is no barrier on the left side of the propulsion track, but there is an object (which resembles an ODB mount) on the right hand side of the track, indicating that evaluation of right-hand drive cars might be underway.

It is not clear whether the tests are for South Africa, India or both. It is not clear whether these are tests funded by Global NCAP's sponsors or tests funded by manufacturers, like the tests expected for the Mahindra XUV700 and the Škoda Slavia. There is a small probability that it might refer to the next round of Latin NCAP results which is also expected in a few weeks from now, but Latin NCAP has not Tweeted anything similar.

Testing might have commenced on 29 October after Global NCAP renewed its technical partnership with the ADAC Technik Zentrum test laboratory in Germany on 25 October.

Name:  Screenshot 20211031 at 11.41.03 AM.png
Views: 209
Size:  324.0 KB

Last edited by ron178 : 31st October 2021 at 12:22.
ron178 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks