Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2021, 15:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Driving Lenses - Zeiss DriveSafe Review

I've been wearing spectacles from an age of three. My power has stabilized at -7.5. I'm currently using tokai photocromatic lenses and they work quite well. I have used the normal essilor and zeis lenses before, and the current tokai ones are better than the previous ones. I'd like to give the driving lenses a try though.

My dad has an eye power of -12 with presbiopia. (Both near and farsightedness)
He has two progressive glasses. One with a bigger reading area for his office work and the other with a bigger long range area for driving. He has been comfortable with this setup so far. This would be highly worth for anyone who does a lot of driving as well as desk work.

Also, do check out the 3M windsheild film. Works quite well to cut out glare, while also keeping the cabin cool.
Kumaran93R is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 15:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumaran93R View Post
I've been wearing spectacles from an age of three. My power has stabilized at -7.5. I'm currently using tokai photocromatic lenses and they work quite well. I have used the normal essilor and zeis lenses before, and the current tokai ones are better than the previous ones. I'd like to give the driving lenses a try though.

My dad has an eye power of -12 with presbiopia. (Both near and farsightedness)
He has two progressive glasses. One with a bigger reading area for his office work and the other with a bigger long range area for driving. He has been comfortable with this setup so far. This would be highly worth for anyone who does a lot of driving as well as desk work.

Also, do check out the 3M windsheild film. Works quite well to cut out glare, while also keeping the cabin cool.
Isn't applying any kind of film on windshield illegal? I know the rules is stupid, but there's no escape from cops
Old 21st December 2021, 16:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
Isn't applying any kind of film on windshield illegal? I know the rules is stupid, but there's no escape from cops
Yes, it is technically illegal. But it's very hard to survive Chennai's weather without some kind of protection. Hence most cars have sunfilm these days, and the police aren't bothered about it (for now).

I have dark tints on my Fiesta S and there hasn't been any issues so far. Although I'll be going in for more transparent 3M ones before the summer hits along with the windshield film.

And 3M's windshield film doesn't reduce any visibility IMO and doesn't look like a film from the outside either.
Old 21st December 2021, 16:31   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumaran93R View Post
Yes, it is technically illegal. But it's very hard to survive Chennai's weather without some kind of protection. Hence most cars have sunfilm these days, and the police aren't bothered about it (for now).

I have dark tints on my Fiesta S and there hasn't been any issues so far. Although I'll be going in for more transparent 3M ones before the summer hits along with the windshield film.

And 3M's windshield film doesn't reduce any visibility IMO and doesn't look like a film from the outside either.
I have an MH registered car and keep traveling between Chennai and Bangalore. I heard BLR cops have an eagle eye for any kind of film, but seems it's ok in Chennai
Everlearner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 09:05   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
Got Zeiss photochromic with the DriveSafe coating.

And again, I was absolutely stunned. All colours were now a little more vivid. Details better.

Then I started to drive. The lenses are just - OH MY GOD!! Clarity is just woosh. Focusing on objects far and near is just So much better.
You can seriously consider Lasik.

Not only will it help you get rid of your glasses but the Contoura Vision Technology will give you vision quality better than the best glasses can give you.

The technology works by getting rid of aberrations in the eye and focusing the incoming light better so the quality of vision improves significantly.

Cheers

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th December 2021 at 09:27. Reason: Trimming quoted post, removing PM part. Please share whatever you need to say over PMs directly on the forum. Thank you.
drjaygoyal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 09:15   #21
BHPian

I’ve been using 3Ms CR 90 on my windshield for over 3 years now. Though they do a lot to keep heat out, and cooling in, I really don’t think they much at all to cut glare. They are fully transparent- they don’t interfere with vision neither can people tell you have it on your windshield- unless you get a darker tint, which in my opinion is not wise for the windshield!
Old 27th December 2021, 11:01   #22
BHPian

Completely second the OP's choice of Zeiss lenses and their drivesafe coating is the best out there atleast for me. I have been wearing spectacles since my 1995. So when I learnt about premium lenses, I was always fascinated by Zeiss from the fact they made telescope lenses et al at NASA(As a student was fascinated by air and space travel). So when I could afford premium lenses I first went for Zeiss but no optician in my Hometown had Zeiss. They all promoted Essilor (plus there were a lot of ads on TV of Essilor). To clear the confusion I asked my ophthalmologist regarding the Zeiss and Essilor- He said "there is a very minute difference between them, and most people won't even find it. But personally I prefer Zeiss but at the same time my wife prefers Essilor".
So after hearing this I decided bro go with Essilor because didn't want to travel 60 odd kms for Zeiss lenses(only 1 shop in the entire state to offer Zeiss that time).
The story changed when I started to drive, and I avoided driving in the night because of the glare and stupid drivers using High beam all the time. Even when I had to drive I endured a lot of eye fatigue etc. So naturally I went for the Essilor drive friendly coating and was sad to see very little improvement while driving albeit definitely better than normal lenses but not the next level that I expected fuelled by their PR campaign. So in a rather fortunate accident, broke my glasses while playing football. So got a cheap frame as a replacement. I was, rather I am very good at maintaining my glasses long term and the above was the only pair I have lost in all these years, so decided to splurge on Zeiss just to try out. And looking back today, I feel the Universe/God somehow conspired to bring me and Zeiss together.(The incident of how I broke my glasses is rather funny and would sound made-up if was to narrate it). When we see a great academic mind or sportsperson etc we get that feeling that he/she is meant for this or that thing. Same way Zeiss are menat to make lenses. Night driving so so much better for me. I have successfully converted all my family and extended family to Zeiss and all still thank me today.
Regards
Laidbackakki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 13:20   #23
BHPian

I've been wondering about driving lenses for a while. The price is prohibitive but driving in the continuous glare of high beams is something I do not enjoy. With the right combination, I get blinded for a few fractions and I'm forced to slow down.

Seeing the options give me a bit more confidence to walk into the optician's store and not get blindsided by more expensive or useless options.
Old 27th December 2021, 14:49   #24
BHPian

Hi, good to see a very relevant topic here for me personally. I use -5 D for the last 25years and how require reading lenses as well. To add more to the situation, had a left eye injury too around 20 yrs back, which made my left eye pupil semidilated. . All this together leaves me almost blind during night driving especially in the face of oncoming cars with their high beams on. Its like driving with a blind fold. Therefore I avoid driving in the night altogether. I have found using sunglasses in the night over my specs does provide some relief. Also if I close my left eye, that also reduces the glare. With the new information received on this thread, I would definitely try the driving lenses. May be they can bring some relief. Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 22:59   #25
BHPian

3rd main road,

How clear are these lenses in rain?
Are you able to see the opposite vehicle without any issues even in torrential rain?

Are you able to read the licence plate of an incoming vehicle even when a high beam is aimed at you?

You have certainly piqued my interest on this!
Old 2nd January 2022, 09:43   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjaygoyal View Post
You can seriously consider Lasik.

Cheers
It is something that has crossed my mind, but I am worried about something going wrong and me loosing vision. That would be the WORST thing that could ever happen to me. I know the chances are extremely slim, but there’s still a chance that it can happen isn’t there? A good doctor messed up a simple cataract operation on my father, with him gradually loosing sight over the years in that eye. He is now 75, and has a terrible time because he has really bad vision in one eye.

As for vision in the rain with the Zeiss, it is EXCELLENT. A few weeks back, I was caught driving in a sudden and severe cloud burst at night. It was the HEAVIEST rain I had EVER experienced. It was really like I was underneath a huge water tank whose bottom had given away. I was next to the Cauvery which was already threatening to flood and I was scared to stop in case I would be caught in a flash flood and washed away or such. There was thankfully a lorry ahead which seemed to have made the same decision as me - all other traffic had magically disappeared and I followed it at some 20 kmph for close to an hour. It was the Zeiss lenses that gave me the confidence to drive through that maddening rain - it was really way beyond what anyone would term torrential. Vision was indeed perfect.

Last edited by thirdmainroad : 2nd January 2022 at 09:45.
Old 5th January 2022, 11:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
As a person wearing glasses, this is an extremely useful thread. Thanks for sharing. I am going to get these surely.
Quoting myself to update the thread. Just before Christmas I went to Titan Eye+ near my home and placed an order for Zeiss DriveSafe.

Titan also has their own brand glasses on the cheaper side but Zeiss itself was pretty reasonable to me : Rs. 4800 for the pair (-1.00 both eyes) with my own beloved frame that I have been grinding for years now.

They took a week's time and got my glasses on 1st January. I have been using them since then and the difference is immense. These must be one of the most clear glasses I have ever worn. I will report again once I do a long night drive (which I generally avoid) but till then even for general day to day use at less than 5k, these are phenomenal.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 12:48   #28
BHPian

How is the Drivesafe lenses in respect to resistance to fogging up?
Old 6th January 2022, 12:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the informative posts on the DriveSafe.
Got one doubt. Can we have the DriveSafe lens as an all-day usage that will involve heavy usage of computers.

Current blue vision coating aimed at reducing the blue light from the screens have been really nice to my eyes, so wondering if I would lose that out with the DriveSafe's.
sarathlal is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 15:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Thanks for all the informative posts on the DriveSafe.
Got one doubt. Can we have the DriveSafe lens as an all-day usage that will involve heavy usage of computers.

Current blue vision coating aimed at reducing the blue light from the screens have been really nice to my eyes, so wondering if I would lose that out with the DriveSafe's.
My DriveSafe came with blue coating without any extra cost. I am using them all day (mostly in front my laptop and desktop screens) and elsewhere. Actual driving use is rather minimal which was the main purpose of these glasses

P.S. Titan Eye+ employee gave me great tip on cleaning glasses - wipe them off only in one direction, preferably inwards to outwards (nose rest to outside) and don't do circular movements. I tried the same on my RayBan sunglasses which had chronic smudges and this tip has greatly reduced them.

Last edited by amol4184 : 6th January 2022 at 15:26.
amol4184 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks