Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2022, 12:33   #31
BHPian

Re: Driving Lenses - Zeiss DriveSafe Review

Edit: Please disregard, this was answered on another thread.

My apologies if this question has popped up in the past...Can the DriveSafe lenses be had in non-Rx? I don't need to use Rx glasses yet (touch wood) but the glare issue does bother me significantly enough to justify any cost

Last edited by railfanwithk750 : 7th January 2022 at 12:50. Reason: Mods pls feel free to remove this post, already answered
Old 9th January 2022, 09:01   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
How is the Drivesafe lenses in respect to resistance to fogging up?
Resistance to fogging up depends on the olephobic coating u opt for. Zeiss has only 1 coating for that. Considering the times of mask usage, I have never had my glass fogging up even when using the mask. I think many specs user have this problem of glasses fogging up when used with a mask. I never had the problem with Zeiss. Secondly even when driving never once experienced the issue.
But if you are using the car AC at the lowest temperature and after a drive you get out the lens will fog up owing to condensation and temp difference. That's just physics are work and nothing can be done about it till the spectacle lens temp increases a bit.
Hope this helps
Laidbackakki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 18:25   #33
BHPian

I am a essilor/crizal fanboy since the day of wearing a spectacle. Tried Nikon lens once but have never tried Zeiss ever. Looks like I have been missing the awesome lenses being a brand loyalist.

For me, the Nikon lenses used to yellow in just a few months of regular use. I always also suspected whether they are original Nikon ones. With Essilor/Crizal there was always the fog mark on lens ensuring theauthenticity.

Tried Preventia (the blue light cutting one for digital screens), but I was getting more eye strain, sleep issues and hated the blue reflection from lens. Went back to Saphire UV and is using them now. Have been using it in India and in UK, never though of getting a different pair for driving. But is now tempted to try the Zeiss one.

I normally avoid driving at twilight as the glare was so much and I hated being a risk to others.

Does Zeiss lens have any authentication mechanism like fog mark of Crizal?

Last edited by Sedate : 9th January 2022 at 18:28.
Old 13th January 2022, 00:11   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post

But with these new lenses - the Zeiss DriveSafe - gosh, I could actually look straight into to high beams and -
it was just different - the glare was SO much less,
yet everything was SO vivid and crystal clear.

Go Zeiss - Go DriveSafe.
They are just SUPER DUPER.
Thanks thirdmanroad for this very informative thread. Your first hand experience is an authentic review which will surely help many TBhpians and other Tbhp fans who are literally blinded by the glares of oncoming traffic at night, and some just close their eyes and trust their driving instincts and leave the rest to God while crossing such glares.

Now, I am seriously considering these DriveSafe lenses for my next upgrade.

It would be wonderful if you and others who already use Zeiss Drivesafe can put some COMPARO pics and videos of the difference you see with these amazing lenses. It will be a great help fellows
Most of the comparo pics and videos on Google are Zeiss Ads which are made to look too good. Hardly any genuine End-user pics or videos to see the real-life difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
Got Zeiss photochromic with the DriveSafe coating. And again, I was absolutely stunned
Do the Photochromic DriveSafe lenses remain slightly tinted in daytime or are crystal clear ?

Anyone here has first hand experience of using DriveSafe Progressives?

How are its results?
How wide/narrow is the intermediate and near field of vision ?
Any idea about DriveSafe Progressives field of vision ? DriveSafe matches which level of Zeiss Progressives --》Precision Pure? 》Precision Plus ? 》 Precision Superb? 》Or Individual?

Attaching DriveSafe pricelist here if it may help

Driving Lenses - Zeiss DriveSafe Review-screenshot_20220112204045_youtube.jpg

Driving Lenses - Zeiss DriveSafe Review-screenshot_20220112211403_youtube.jpg

Driving Lenses - Zeiss DriveSafe Review-screenshot_20220112211231_youtube.jpg

These lenses are surely a boon for those who can afford them, but is there any other cost effective option for the common man ?

As you can see from the above list - the Progressive - Photochromic lenses (which are called PHOTOFUSION)- cost Rs.21500+4500 (for adding Photochromic)= Rs.25000

Are there any Branded Polarized night-vision CLIP-ON s which can be attached to our existing Progressive or Single vision Specs ?

Yeah, Have Googled it, but all those Rs500 options available on Amazon/Flipkart are cheap non-polarized Yellow plastics which are completely USELESS and can damage the eye in the long run. Any inputs from fellow Bhpians and any Ophthalmologists on board will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
JS Kwt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 11:15   #35
BHPian

Attaching Latest Price list of DriveSafe Single Vision and Progressives

Driving Lenses - Zeiss DriveSafe Review-screenshot-01152022-10.40.00_1_zeiss-drivesafe-pricelist.jpg

DriveSafe Progressives- Clear lens would cost
- with Basic Vision corridor @ Rs. 22000/26000
- with Wide Vision corridor (Individual) @ Rs.34000/39000

If you want Photochromic (Photofusion) - it can be added @ + Rs.4000

Polarized can be added @ + Rs.6500

Total can be 22000 for Basic Progressives

and for Wide Vision/Photocromic/Polarized it will cost appx Rs. 50000 !
JS Kwt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 11:45   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post
Attaching Latest Price list of DriveSafe Single Vision and Progressives

DriveSafe Progressives- Clear lens would cost
- with Basic Vision corridor @ Rs. 22000/26000
- with Wide Vision corridor (Individual) @ Rs.34000/39000

If you want Photochromic (Photofusion) - it can be added @ + Rs.4000

Polarized can be added @ + Rs.6500

Total can be 22000 for Basic Progressives

and for Wide Vision/Photocromic/Polarized it will cost appx Rs. 50000 !
I was thinking of replacing my current specs with these. But looking at these prices, I can't digest. Might lose some sleep as well.

Edit: are these available at Titan Eye Plus outlets?

Last edited by ashis89 : 15th January 2022 at 11:47.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 12:21   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I was thinking of replacing my current specs with these. But looking at these prices, I can't digest. Might lose some sleep as well.

Theres some hope buddy if you can find the right shop

Some reputed Opticians who deal in volumes of Zeiss can offer upto 10-20% discounts

So if you take just Basic Single vision lens which have MRP of 8800 in the catalogue above - it would cost Rs.7500 after Discount
And with Photochromic would cost @ Rs.10880
If someone doesn't need Progressives while driving, as there is very less use of near vision for reading while driving- these Single Vision- would be the best option to pick.

While Basic Progressives with Photochromic would cost @ 17850

Attaching a quote I received from a reputed dealer

Driving Lenses - Zeiss DriveSafe Review-screenshot_20220115122337_adobe-acrobat.jpg

Any replies to the following queries will be highly appreciated

Do the Photochromic DriveSafe lenses (PHOTOFUSION) remain slightly tinted or become completely clear indoors ?

Anyone here has first hand experience of using DriveSafe Progressives? Please share your experience so far.

How are its results?
How comfortable is is the vision corridor Basic Progressives while driving in seeing the MID n HUD?

Another fact is that Zeiss Photochromic (PHOTOFUSION) are Not As Quick as Essilor TRANSITIONS in changing Colors (shown in a comparo test)

So - Are there any Branded Polarized night-vision CLIP-ON s which can be attached to our existing Progressive or Single vision Specs ?

Any inputs from fellow Bhpians and any Ophthalmologists on board will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by JS Kwt : 15th January 2022 at 12:36.
JS Kwt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 19:30   #38
BHPian

Hi JS. Inspired by this thread, I have recently got made drivesafe Zeiss progressive lens from Pune. The lenses set me back by 21000. I am using their middle of the ground field of vision lenses with higher index of 1.6. They had some kind of promotion scheme going, on account of which they also provided me a complementary specs with distant vision lenses, though not Zeiss. I believe I was charged on the higher side.
Now the experience of using the Zeiss Drive safe lenses is really as good as has been mentioned in this thread. Now I can drive in the dark hours with some confidence as the glare has reduced considerably and vision has improved markedly. I am no more driving blindly against the oncoming traffic.
This is the first time i have used any branded lenses. Also any information on clip-on dark lenses will be appreciated.

Last edited by fawad0222 : 18th January 2022 at 19:37.
fawad0222 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 19:57   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

These are available at Titan Eye+ outlets (I got mine from them around Christmas), I am surprised at the prices quoted here.
I paid INR 4800 for the pair. Here is the prescription/Zeiss card that came with lenses. I got the DriveSafe/DuraVision type.

Driving Lenses - Zeiss DriveSafe Review-20220118_194628.jpg
amol4184 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 20:58   #40
BHPian

I placed an order last week for the Dura Vision Drive Safe single vision at Titan Eye+. The price for the lens is 4800 as mentioned in the above post and #34 (Driving Lenses - Zeiss DriveSafe Review). This was for Zeiss single vision 1.6 AS.
Individual lens will cost more as explained here but some of the prices posted in this thread seem to be bloated or am I missing something?
Meph1st0 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 22:23   #41
Senior - BHPian

My current specs came with clip on tinted polarized lenses. With the polarized lenses on I find that many objects have a horrible rainbow effect on them including sunfilm and the visor of my helmet. Is this normal ? Some googling suggests that it is.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 08:23   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
With the polarized lenses on I find that many objects have a horrible rainbow effect on them including sunfilm and the visor of my helmet. Is this normal ? Some googling suggests that it is.
Yup that happens. Before I needed powered glasses I had polarized sunglasses and used to see rainbow on newly paved highway from inside my helmet. That was the first and last time I went with polarized glasses.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 16:39   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

I've been wearing glasses since I was 10 so I don't even know what it is to be driving without them. I started off with a very high number but LASIK surgery in my 20s stabilised my power in the -ve 1.0-1.5 range till I hit my 40s and it started regressing again, compounded with hypermetropia. This is when I started using branded lenses, primarily Crizal and Essilor. I found them both to be decent, to be honest. Earlier this year I got a set of progressive lenses from GKB Eyecare (their in-house lenses line) and to my surprise, it's fantastic as well.

So forgive me if I don't share the enthusiasm for these ultra-high-end speciality driving lenses where you end paying in high 5 figures for a single pair. My biggest criteria is selecting eyeglasses are clarity, comfort and lack of fatigue/strain. I've found that I can meet these requirements within a budget of about 20K easily (lenses + frame).

High-index (1.59) lenses coated for Blue protection does the job perfectly for me, so am not exactly sure what the Zeiss Drivesafe offers that justifies the 2-3x premium. I keep 2 or 3 current-power pairs handy at any given time and frequent horsing around with kids and pets means they can't be too delicate or expensive to replace either. As an example, my dog got his paws on my glasses last month and I needed to replace one lens that was badly scratched. GKB did it for me at around 4K, which is reasonable.

For all I know, I may be missing out on the iphone of eyeglasses so please forgive me if this post ruffles any feathers!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 17:00   #44
BHPian

I believe the progressive lenses cost more and that's the reason behind the difference in prices quoted here. This is not to say that I have not been charged little extra by the Zeiss dealership, Pune. I have really found them to have made a great difference in night driving as far as ease of driving is concerned. This is the first time I have gone for branded lenses so I can't say about the other brands, though there are members here who have had experience of using different brands and who recommended them strongly. I made my decision on their experience and I am very happy with it. Actually the decision was not made out of enthusiasm but due to the extreme difficulty in driving during night I have been facing since I started driving and it was painful to pay the premium the lenses commanded but I was willing to endure this pain in exchange of the benefits expected and they definitely delivered in this regard. My powers are in the range of -4 to 6 along with need of cylindrical and near vision lenses. I also have semi dilated left pupil due to a blunt eye injury years back and hence the glare is more in my case. Also as it is not possible to have a test ride of the lenses before you actually get the specs made, one has to depend upon the experience of others to choose the right brand. Of course I will be happy to spend less if possible but I think sometimes quality has its price. And yes I have never owned an i Phone.

Last edited by fawad0222 : 19th January 2022 at 17:29.
fawad0222 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 01:38   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawad0222 View Post
Hi JS.
Now the experience of using the Zeiss Drive safe lenses is really as good as has been mentioned in this thread. Now I can drive in the dark hours with some confidence as the glare has reduced considerably and vision has improved markedly. I am no more driving blindly against the oncoming traffic.
Thanks a lot Fawad for your genuine feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawad0222 View Post

Also as it is not possible to have a test ride of the lenses before you actually get the specs made, one has to depend upon the experience of others to choose the right brand.
Fully Agree Fawad, that is why it would be wonderful if you can put some COMPARO pics and videos of the difference you see with these amazing lenses. It will be a great help.

Maybe the cameras will not capture the Exact difference you feel, but the comparison pics and videos might give a fair idea of the extent of glare reduction to those who are willing to take the plunge deep down their pockets

Most of the comparo pics and videos on Google are Zeiss Ads which look like edited. Hardly any genuine End-user pics or videos to see the real-life difference.

Last edited by JS Kwt : 20th January 2022 at 01:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks