Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2021, 10:05   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Is Tata Motors actually the safety saint it pretends to be?

While the topic of this thread has been beaten to death, with posts leaning towards both sides of the argument, there is one major take away for Tata Motors.

We are sure they keep a close watch on what owners and enthusiasts post here. If there is one thing Tata should know, is this -

Perception of Tata motors from a crude taxi manufacturer has definitely changed, and this thread is a great example of the deserved credit being generously given where it is due.

But then, the Harrier and Safari getting a good crash test score is what we all want. It does look like double standards when Tata marketing teams can take a dig at Swift and i20, while not doing anything about their flagships, specially when XUV 7OO has proven its credibility in safety.

Come on Tata, get the Harrier twins tested, or do the work that would make them score respectably in crash test
PrasannaDhana is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 10:24   #92
BHPian

After extensive motoring experience, both competitive & non competitive in varied conditions with a vast range of vehicles, the best safety measures are the following systems which should be always be reliable:
1) braking set up
2) seatbelts
3) air bags - front (2), side (4)

Other than this it is the driver's driving habits & competencies, overall condition of the vehicle itself and the driving conditions that cause fatalities due to accidents. I had a man driving a Hyundai Eon trying to race me in my C-200 Special Edition on the Panipat Ambala highway. I let him go ahead but later overtook him at a opportune moment because I was running late for an appointment in Mohali but I still drove safely within limits.

Due to aquaplaning, I have done a complete 360 degree turn in an ambassador (without roll cage) and came out unscratched. Another friend died of internal hemorrhaging when his head banged the divider because he got disbalanced on his scooter while waiting at a red light. Had he been wearing a helmet nothing would have happened because I too had a similar accident when a taxi suddenly came out of a side road and stopped in front of me.

The western automotive industry has been quick to set very high & unwanted safety standards so protect their own auto industry. Unfortunately we blindly believe their specifications, and that safety is solely a manufacturing issue, and nothing else matters while driving. 100% safety for every condition does not exist.

Always remember - Bad decisions have bad consequence and bad driving habits including high risk taking cause fatalities.
NYMEX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 12:21   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVN View Post
I am all for discussions and good content but I was surprised to see this post on the homepage. At the risk of sounding negative, this thread is biased and doesn't deserve any more comments or homepage visibility.
I couldn't agree more with you. I am also surprised how this thread has been posted on the homepage by our moderators for its content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
It is simple. Nobody is going to lose their life/lives of loved ones if Maruti is not the mileage king it claims to be. But when someone buys a Harrier/Safari assuming them to be 5 star safe as advertised misleadingly, he may land up in serious trouble.
I don't think there is any additional serious trouble other than what will happen when you are driving any untested car. Nobody is supposed to assume anything if the car is untested. If someone assume something, you cannot blame others. Can automobile manufactures be blamed for irresponsible driving by drivers, I don't think so.

Evenif the car is crash tested and has 5 star rating, you need to be driving responsibly. The accidents are not always fatal which will test the crash rating of a car. Even if there is a minor accident, you may end up in legal as well as financial issues. It is understood, but a few people don't care for those. For them, the car they drive or the crash rating of the same is not a matter at all. The most rash driving I have seen in the road are by two wheelers and they are not crash tested.

I think crash rating is just another point of comparison, if you are in the market for a car and consider safety as a parameter. These ratings will give some idea, how the car will perform if it meets with an accident in a similar condition in which it is tested. If the accident happens in a different condition, nobody including Global NCAP or manufactures can predict. But we need some baseline for test and comparison. So they have selected something as standard test for all their tests and the star rating is based on the same common test and that gives an idea for comparison.
Sreejith V is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 15:01   #94
Senior - BHPian

Found this on the internet. Don't know how far its true but includes a lot of Tata cars.

Name:  FB_IMG_1638869407782.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  86.2 KB
ruzbehxyz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 15:02   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Sounds like the start of another Tata bashing thread.
I don't think Bashing TATA is what this is about But how they are misleading the customers with their advertisement! No car manufacturer is perfect but they should be transparent and not mislead people, I think that's the least we can ask for. You can't just disregard the point being made by saying is a TATA bashing thread, TATA have come a long way and have produced great products but they also have room to improve and we shouldn't blind ourselves to that.
Kousie_Arima is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 15:10   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
While the topic of this thread has been beaten to death, with posts leaning towards both sides of the argument, there is one major take away for Tata Motors.

We are sure they keep a close watch on what owners and enthusiasts post here. If there is one thing Tata should know, is this -

Perception of Tata motors from a crude taxi manufacturer has definitely changed, and this thread is a great example of the deserved credit being generously given where it is due.

But then, the Harrier and Safari getting a good crash test score is what we all want. It does look like double standards when Tata marketing teams can take a dig at Swift and i20, while not doing anything about their flagships, specially when XUV 7OO has proven its credibility in safety.

Come on Tata, get the Harrier twins tested, or do the work that would make them score respectably in crash test
That's exactly the point here. Thanks for summing it up nicely.
I started recommending new age Tata cars to my near and dear ones purely based on how well they are put together inside out and VFM they provide. Safety rating being one of the prime deciding factor.

Personally, I still have Tata Safari at top of my list as my next car based on my requirements. Yes, even after the launch of Mahindra's 5 star rated XUV 700. To be frank, I don't have a single product from India's No1 car maker in my list. Nothing wrong with their products, its just that none meet my requirement at the moment.

So my expectations revolve around Tata

I think this thread would have never existed if they too like other manufactures had just one or two cars crash tested for safety rating.

Look at this;
Entry level Hatch -- Tata Tiago -- GNCAP -- 4 Star
Premium Hatch -- Tata Altroz -- GNCAP -- 5 Star
Sub Compact SUV -- Tata Punch -- GNCAP -- 5 Star
Compact SUV -- Tata Nexon -- GNCAP -- 5 Star
Compact Sedan -- Tata Tigor -- GNCAP -- 4 Star

And now this
5 Seater SUV -- Tata Harrier -- GNCAP -- ??? (All we know that its born of legendary Land Rover pedigree)
6/7 Seater SUV (Flagship) -- Tata Safari -- GNCAP -- ??? (All we know is it carries forward proven capability of OMEGARC, an architecture derived from the renowned D8 platform from Land Rover, which in itself is the gold standard of SUVs worldwide.)

And then here is more confusion to the mix;
Facelifted Tata Nexon -- Tata does not mention GNCAP ratings on the official product page anymore. I would have still overlooked it saying may be its a hassle to put the same 'structure' through GNCAP as it was just a facelift and no other changes. And was under impression that same is true for Tata Nexon EV. BUT Tata crash tested Tigor EV which scored 4 star in GNCAP same as Tigor non-EV version.

I'm still good with that as I would assume that Tata made some structural changes in the Tigor EV hence crash tested it again.

That brings me back to the twins. The flagships. Are they not crash worthy?

Last edited by HammerHead : 7th December 2021 at 15:14.
HammerHead is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 15:51   #97
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors is making better cars today than what it was doing a decade ago. I have been fortunate enough to own a very reliable Tata product since almost 11 years.

I am not qualified enough to discuss safety here, but one thing is for sure that Tata Motors has leveraged those safety numbers and Vocal for local sentiment to market its cars.

I dont see anything wrong this till point, but what left a bad taste was poking fun at Espresso, swift, wagon R , i20 and like.
Tata Motors, you are an esteemed organization and you dont need to show others in bad light to sell your products, Please.

Last edited by silverado : 7th December 2021 at 15:55.
silverado is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 18:01   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

While I wouldn't buy a Tata vehicle because of the experiences of friends who aren't happy with the service, am happy that Tata at least started the awareness and the conversation around safety ratings for cars when making a purchase decision. Hopefully it will eventually drive the likes of Maruti to make safer cars (btw, we've always owned Marutis and we have one right now).

So even if they are exaggerating, and being a bit shady about not having all models tested (and if that is indeed the case, that certainly should be highlighted!), at least the conversation on safety as a selling point has begun and that can only help in the long run.
Old 7th December 2021, 20:45   #99
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlmtukkar View Post
Be Careful Indian buy Indian.
Tata and Mahindra have improved only because there is competition from global companies. If all the global companies shut shop and leave India due to low sales, the progress made by these Indian companies will stop as there will be no competition. So buy international brands for the further development of Indian companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Found this on the internet. Don't know how far its true but includes a lot of Tata cars.
That is the main point here. All the Tata cars are present except the most premium product of Tata. People will consider the Rs.27 lakhs SUV (Safari) to be a tin can in comparison to a Rs.5 lakhs hatchback (Tiago) if the GNCAP results are not published.

Last edited by anb : 7th December 2021 at 21:01.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 22:14   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
When we don't question Toyota for not sending their hot selling Innova Crysta or for that matter, any Innova model ever for crash testing,

Innova has been rated 5 stars in the ASEAN crash tests. Even the Etios was a 4-star rated car. The only problem with Toyota is the rebranded Maruti's they have been selling.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-rating-418949

Last edited by thecarguy : 7th December 2021 at 22:16.
thecarguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 10:01   #101
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: The topic has been discussed enough & the thread has run its course. Closing, thanks for a good discussion.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks