Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2022, 10:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Dashcam footage from Samaritan's car gets truck driver compensation after crash with Maruti Celerio

This is from my friend's dashcam. He was lucky to be driving little behind. The mishap took place at kuriyachira, off Thrissur town in Kerala yesterday by 11 pm(time stamp in the cam is not correct). He handed over the footage to police. The public who assembled started blaming the truck driver but the footage helped matters. The occupants in Celerio escaped without any major injury. Appears like a case of dozing off at the wheels since there were no vehicles ahead for the Celerio to overtake. They were lucky that the truck didn't topple on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Dashcam footage from Samaritan's car gets truck driver compensation after crash with Maruti Celerio-img20220128wa0002.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 28th January 2022 at 11:22.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (125) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 11:51   #2
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
The occupants in Celerio escaped without any major injury.
Unbelievable! The way car crashed, I find it hard to believe driver survived to tell the tale. Some people just have terribly good luck.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 11:56   #3
BHPian

Quote:
The occupants in Celerio escaped without any major injury. Appears like a case of dozing off at the wheels since there were no vehicles ahead for the Celerio to overtake. They were lucky that the truck didn't topple on them.
Seems like the Celerio had airbags and they did their job. Good to see airbags helping indeed and will help in making them more acceptable
sunilch is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 11:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
He handed over the footage to police. The public who assembled started blaming the truck driver but the footage helped matters.
Again a reason why every single car owner should seriously consider fixing a good front and rear dashcam in their cars. It's one of those things that'll really help in such situations when its your word against someone else.
krishnakumar is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 11:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalmr62 View Post
Unbelievable! The way car crashed, I find it hard to believe driver survived to tell the tale. Some people just have terribly good luck.
I am sure you mean Fortunate good luck

I can see the Airbag is open on drivers side so probably that helped in him absorbing the impact. I am also sure he was wearing seat belt otherwise he would be a goner. Could have dozed off or just fiddling with his mobile as so many I see doing everyday. We will never know. Thanks to the dashcam for saving the truck driver from unnecessary hassle and blame.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 15:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is from my friend's dashcam. He was lucky to be driving little behind.
His response to the accident, straight line braking is also commendable.

Quote:
yesterday by 11 pm(time stamp in the cam is not correct).
In this case the dashcam clock was off by many hours and difference can be ascertained from the sky and streetlights. But in some scenario, such time-stamp error may be 'the difference' in successfully defending one-self in front of police or court of law or suffering.

This is the reason I ensure correct time and keep GPS/ speed stamp ON on my dashcam.
AutoNoob is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 19:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
This is from my friend's dashcam. They were lucky that the truck didn't topple on them.
Absolutely. Perfect case for a DashCam. Front and Back. And if I was in power, 360 degrees..
Having said that, the costs of the cams are still too high to be incorporated into the Indian scenario.

Where less than "blah blah %" of people pay taxes and where less than "blah blah %" of people own vehicles, this has to be accounted for. In a country where people fight over foot mats, we have to account for everything.
Thankfully, for me, this was a very personal investment which I accounted for during my car buying process.

Requesting Mods to delete kindly if required.
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 21:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
... the car took the impact rather well, truck with all that load would have easily been 20 times heavier, which makes it even more impressive.

At the end of the day, luck was surely on the driver's side. ....
Fortunately for the car driver, it was not a head-on but an offset collision with the car directly impacting the front wheel of the truck and dislodging its front axle.

So that entire momentum of that heavily loaded truck did not pass on to the car. After its axle got dislodged, the truck carried on with its momentum in an arc riding on its left wheel and again, it almost toppled on it. So it was indeed the car driver's lucky night.
for_cars1 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 21:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
Absolutely. Perfect case for a DashCam. Front and Back. And if I was in power, 360 degrees..
I do think it's better to leave it to the user to have a dash cam or not, else it will end up being another way of citizen surveillance.
Old 30th January 2022, 07:50   #10
BHPian

Quote:
This is from my friend's dashcam. ...
Firstly, good to note that your friend proactively handed over the footage to police, he for sure would be a godsend samaritarian for the truck driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Looks like the car took the impact rather well, truck with all that load would have easily been 20 times heavier, which makes it even more impressive.

At the end of the day, luck was surely on the driver's side. But this also makes me think of all those online articles about poor build quality cherry pick the worst models from Maruti's stable.
True, in addition, the truck has side fenders that prevented the car getting stuck into the truck. If that had happened, the damage probably would have been more severe.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 12:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...The occupants in Celerio escaped without any major injury....
Something for the Maruti fans to showoff against the Tatas and Mahindras (4&5 Star NCAP ones). LOL

How did the occupants get away with this accident? Truly lucky.
Old 1st February 2022, 20:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He handed over the footage to police. The public who assembled started blaming the truck driver but the footage helped matters.
My friend has just updated that the Celerio owner compensated 40k to the truck owner for all the damages and incidental expenses. A rare case of a smaller vehicle compensating the big one in an accident. All thanks to the dashcam footage.

The truck driver has sent few touching messages to my friend thanking him profusely for being his saviour and that he'll keep him in his prayers. Owing to the footage, he faced no issues with the police, public and most importantly his owner. He was saying it saved him from hell lot of mental stress and agony since the side which the truck ended up after the collision would've otherwise resulted in fingers pointing at his mistake and recklessness. A dashcam can prove to be useful not just for us but for someone else too.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 1st February 2022 at 20:32.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (102) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 10:02   #13
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dashcam footage from samaritan's car gets truck driver compensation after crash with Maruti Cele

Dashcam footage from Samaritan's car gets truck driver compensation after crash with Maruti Celerio - Posts moved to a new thread.

Many thanks to your friend for providing the dashcam footage and helping an innocent person get compensation. Otherwise, the poor truck driver, who probably struggles to make ends meet in today's times, would have have not only been unfairly blamed, but also lost his job.

This incident just highlights the importance of a dashcam. It's as necessary as a black box is in an aircraft.
Aditya is online now   (30) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 10:13   #14
BHPian

Re: Dashcam footage from Samaritan's car gets truck driver compensation after crash with Maruti Cele

On a related note, What is the best way to show the footage to police if you don’t have a laptop and want to show the recorded evidence?

Is a card reader compatible with mobile device help? Please let me know some suggestions.
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 10:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dashcam footage from Samaritan's car gets truck driver compensation after crash with Maruti Cele

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
On a related note, What is the best way to show the footage to police if you don’t have a laptop and want to show the recorded evidence?

Is a card reader compatible with mobile device help? Please let me know some suggestions.
Most dashcams have built-in Wifi these days and the footage/images can be seamlessly downloaded to our mobile phone/laptop easily. Same is controlled via their apps.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 2nd February 2022 at 11:14.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed