Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2022, 09:27   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dashcam reveals a horrible accident caused by KSRTC driver killing two youths

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemanw View Post
The kerala MVD and KSRTC make no sense to me at all. Have been visiting kerala for the past 14 years. NEVER travelled in a KSRTC bus. Driving within the state is a nightmare especially towards night. Not just the buses, it's everything- cars, two wheelers.
Driving in Kerala is a nightmare. I am fortunate that I live right at the border of KL-TN (Palakkad) and not have to drive through the narrow killer roads. While driving down from Pune, I just need to cover 15km after crossing the border to my home, that too through the four laned highway. Forget the buses, even the autorickshaw drivers have a super inflated ego when it comes to road rage. Kerala MVD, that's a different bunch of species (wanted to use some explicit words) who are more interested in harassing the commoners for modifying their vehicles and dont have the might to clamp down such errand drivers.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 15th February 2022 at 09:35.
rakesh_r is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 11:53   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
Fair point, I wasn't technically blaming the truck driver here. I was making a general statement that the slow moving vehicles should always be on the left most lane. That reduces the risk of an accident for a vehicle that is overtaking.
I cannot blame the truck drivers for this. In such stretches of highways the two wheeler traffic takes off the whole of left lane during the peak hours -> 7AM - 12 PM and 5PM - 10PM. During such time, driving in the left lane is very difficult than on the right lane. It is easier to allow the overtaking vehicle take the risk of fighting for space with the two wheelers than you driving throughout in the left lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
However, I do think that the biker was partially responsible for this accident. From the evidence below, it seems that he was brake testing the bus for some time and had annoyed the bus driver. While it no means justifies the actions of the bus driver, the biker does carry some blame in this entire incident.
I disagree. I think the bike was also trying to overtake the truck in front of him. If you notice, the bike was not able to do so, as there was another truck on the left lane. Once the bike overtook the truck on the left lane, it is seen overtaking the truck on the right.

Intentionally or unintentionally, the KSRTC driver, came in too close to the truck, giving no space for the bike. I don't know if it was to teach a lesson or if the bike was in KSRTC's blind spot or if the KSRTC oversteered. But I strongly feel that there seems to be something wrong in the way the KSRTC came back to the road from the shoulder.

One of my extended family member is a family friend of one of the boys. He just got into a job in January this year and had his first salary this year.

Last edited by Sheel : 15th February 2022 at 13:37. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
Old 15th February 2022, 12:16   #78
BHPian

Re: Dashcam reveals a horrible accident caused by KSRTC driver killing two youths

Quote:
Originally Posted by anil_rnair View Post
I cannot blame the truck drivers for this. In such stretches of highways the two wheeler traffic takes off the whole of left lane during the peak hours -> 7AM - 12 PM and 5PM - 10PM. During such time, driving in the left lane is very difficult than on the right lane. It is easier to allow the overtaking vehicle take the risk of fighting for space with the two wheelers than you driving throughout in the left lane.
Sorry we are deviating from the topic, but last post from me. We should not bend the law to convenience and with that convenience, we will have long term repercussions. So please follow the rules, and drive safe ..
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 12:55   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimkd View Post
So I planned to make the visuals public first so that the issue should not vanish in the future. I contacted one of my close friends in Manorama News, one of the largest news channels in Kerala, and he followed up on the incident. The reporter was very upset as he had to give an initial report as it was the fault of the bikers.
Kudos to you Sir for taking up this issue. Many people would have ignored it to avoid any hassle.

The footage is very shocking and I feel sorry for the two young lives and their families.

Well, I saw the both the footage before reading the content of the original post or any other comments. My first impression was that:
  1. either the bus driver had deliberately hit the bike OR
  2. the bus driver was intoxicated and had a momentarily lapse leading to 'lost control' during the overtake maneuver
#1 seemed to have higher probability since the bus driver is trying to make his way through the traffic.

Somehow, driving rashly comes naturally to the state owned transport drivers. Not sure, if it is impunity of being a govt servant where there is no accountability or it is the unionism or combination of both.
Old 15th February 2022, 13:37   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The biker has applied brakes, so has the bus. You can see both brake lights (or reflection) circled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
The reason why I put brake test in quotes is that we really don't know if the bike was in fact brake testing the bus. It could be that the biker is new and getting used to the throttle response of a KTM.
The brake lights of motorcycles in India will rarely tell you anything conclusive. Most motorcyclists ride the brake pedal, as a result of which the light is either always on or flickers depending on imperfections in the road surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimkd View Post
The KSRTC driver is a veteran with 50 years of age and this is some thing un expected from such a senior guy.
State transport drivers in India cannot be said to get better with age or experience. They gain experience in getting away with almost any style of driving due to their “Government Job”, and they learn only the most efficient (minimum effort) style of driving. It has nothing to do with rules. This is applicable to most drivers, and is why they have come up with their own ways of driving such as the indicator to give way (north India), or keeping to the middle or right lane when in or near cities/towns.

I’ve heard of state transport drivers being described as good because they’ve driven for 7 years without any accident. The state of the buses will give a lie to that claim, but the accidents are rarely reported.

Ona separate note, Kerala buses are the worst because of the egotistical drivers typical to Kerala, along with the passengers who think that they should teach these “rich people” a lesson whenever possible. Long term Communism has a consequence.
VeluM is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 13:40   #81
BHPian

Horror to watch this,

Once the bus driver makes contact with the biker with the front of the bus,
Why doesn't he veer to his left to avoid running the bike over? Shouldn't that be second nature/instinct for a driver?

I think it is deliberate. It is built in our reflexes to veer away after hitting something.

Even if the initial desire was to teach a lesson to the biker, after making contact the bus brakes but doesn't veer to the left, if it does I feel the rear wheel wouldn't have rolled over the riders.

Whatever the reason (Ego, frustration, desperation), This looks deliberate to me. He didn't just wish to scare the biker.

- Slick
Slick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 14:33   #82
BHPian

A horrible outcome due to road rage!

From my own experience, KSRTC buses are known to show aggression on the road. They bully other smaller vehicles on the road. For sure there are good people in there too, but there is a large number of drivers and staff who are outright arrogant and love to intimidate others. Not only other drivers and pedestrians, but their passengers too. As for private buses, this all true except they don't intimidate their own passengers usually. I had been shouted at once in Palakkad KSRTC stand for asking about the route of a bus to the driver. He went on to comment about my dress and why not read the board etc. This was just after an announcement about route change of that bus. It has become a culture inside KSRTC to not give a care.

There is something about the oversized ego and feeling of entitlement on the road. I see this often in Kerala roads. So many times I had to save my life by leaving the road to the shoulder because some big bus is overtaking a lorry on a two lane road and they don't care if there is other vehicles on the oncoming lane. They just don't care.

I hope this incident get investigated properly and culprit go punished.
Ranger747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 18:05   #83
BHPian

Hi Harim,

Congratulations that you showed the right attitude to make public the video from your Dash Cam.

The clarity of the recording was very impressive and I'm tempted to go for a Dash Cam myself.

Please let me know the make and the model of the device you have installed. If possible also the approx cost of it.

Thanks and Regards.
Old 15th February 2022, 19:36   #84
BHPian

Really tragic incident. Whether it was intentional or not, it underscores the need for 2 wheeler drivers to be careful as any fall due to a nudge, pothole or debris can lead to being crushed under a vehicle. It is astounding how most 2 wheeler drivers throw their vehicle in front of other larger vehicles without any worry at all. A 2 wheeler has no business darting between fast moving heavy vehicles. In fact 2 wheelers should refrain from overtaking a 4wheeler as much as possible. I am not blaming the KTM riders here specifically. I am talking about a general safety rule. In India everyone should avoid riding a 2 wheeler as far as possible, especially on highways. If it has to be done, stick to far left and keep checking your mirrors. As soon as you see a fast vehicle approaching, move left and give sufficient berth as any little touch can be disastrous for you.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 19:49   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollamraja View Post
Hi Harim,
Please let me know the make and the model of the device you have installed. If possible also the approx cost of it.
Thanks and Regards.
I was about to seek these details from you as the clarity is quite good and the one in my car has conked off recently.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 15th February 2022 at 20:18. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags
Old 15th February 2022, 19:56   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Another argument could be that the mystery 2 wheeler in the screen grab from 21:05:05 was going slowly on the hard shoulder and the bus cut to the right to avoid hitting them. We don't know for sure.

Attachment 2272367
Is that a parked lorry to the left of the bus and a little ahead in the last screen grab? Do you think the bus driver is trying to avoid hitting that lorry? It looks like half of the lorry is crossing the shoulder and parked on the road.
Old 15th February 2022, 20:13   #87

On a side-note, now imagine each and every one of you were a judge, deciding the outcome of this case. Based on the inputs/comments/analyses, there can be so many different outcomes. Let's say one particular decision is reached, think how many will oppose the judgement. And if the judgement was opposite, still how many will oppose the judgement.

Just food for thought. Happy to discuss.
Old 15th February 2022, 20:21   #88
BHPian

I noticed at least a few BHPians giving a second chance to the KSRTC bus driver for various reasons.

There are times when the collective conscience of citizens is shaken. And those times, the accused, no matter what/who, deserves exemplary model punishment. Just to act as a deterrant.

The Delhi rape case is a great example for this. Rapes have always occured in India. But the collective conscience of the nation was shaken in that one instance. And all accused deserved to die. (Leave out the few so called anti-death penalty activists who were purely driven by the monies they can collect on the international speech circuit for bad mouthing Indian life).

Now coming to this accident. Was this the worst KSRTC driver? No
Was this the worst accident? No.
Was this pre-meditated? Not sure.
Was this driver a real bad nut case? Absolutely yes.
Was everybody in India made aware of the crazy Kerala bus drivers? Hell yes.
Should this driver be tried for murder? Absolutely yes. Just to act as a deterrent in the future for one and all.
Naetik30 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 21:19   #89
BHPian

Drove all the way from Kochi to Trivandrum via NH66 today. I was forced to stop, give way, get on the non existent shoulder and abort overtaking maneuvers numerous times due to KSRTC buses, just so that I and my family could safely make the journey.

Since I've been driving at least once a month in this stretch for the past four years, it's regular affair for the stretch from Cherthala till Kazhakoottam, where the road is mostly (almost entirely) undivided dual carriageway. I have observed that majority of the errant drivers are those who drove fast passenger category buses and above. The drivers of short distance ordinary buses drive slow and give way whenever possible and doesn't pull stunts on you. The nightmares are Super Fast, Express, interstate Volvo and Minnal category buses.

I have heard first hand a super fast bus driver saying to an activa rider (middle-aged man) who he hit and fell down at a red light that, 'It's only a minor nudge, it's not like I have run over you. Take your complaint with the office. If you talk too much I'll file a case against you for obstructing a government employee's duty'. The conductor was standing there doing nothing and when someone enquired him he just told that the driver was a party man and this was all routine for him. I have to shamefully admit that I too didn't speak up for the scooter rider.

Another piece of knowledge I acquired while traveling in these buses and driving along with them is that, 'THEY. DON'T. CARE.' The majority anyways and that is a fact.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 22:04   #90

Thanks for making the Dashcam video public via a News channel. It would have never occurred to the Bus driver that a car with a Dashcam was in the perfect spot to capture the evil intention. As the bus driver would have thought to play the Sorry game of the bikers having rode rashly & coming between the wheel & what can heavy vehicle drivers do in the last second.

This video not only exposed the lie but also showed the cruelty of intention & the end result resulting in the loss of 2 lives. So sad & RIP! Hope the culprit is behind bars for life as he is unfit to drive or lead a normal life after this heinous act of vengeance.
vhharan1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks