Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2022, 15:47   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4

It would be interesting to map the current models sales data to the GNCAP numbers ( assuming that base model rating applies to all variants). May give a perspective of how relevant these factors are in the consumer mindset.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 13th April 2022 at 15:48.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 16:05   #107
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The story so far:

Attachment 2296059

Source: Global NCAP
Much thanks for sharing this crisp information. I have been thinking of starting to look for a replacement for my Linea Tjet. Given the way our road surfaces are - highways, city roads etc. Our chaotic traffic increasing by the day, wrong side driving, I had firmed up on looking for vehicles with 5 or 4 star ratings come what may.

This list is perfect to take that decision. Life is definitely not that cheap. "jaan hai to jahan hai". Safety first and then all bling features, gizmos etc.

Few years back, I have seen a tractor trolley coming out of nowhere onto the highway! The driver was a rural lad maybe 16 years of age. Guess dad must have told - "jaa beta, tractor hi to hai, chalao". Both were absolutely shocked and shivering after the incident knowing they were the culprits and by God's grace nothing happened. My parents, wife and my kid were with me. I swerved by quick reflex action in the nick of time seeing that trolley and braked hard.

I am sure we all have seen or been through such incidents. This thread screams - SAFETY FIRST!!

Last edited by SSD2122 : 13th April 2022 at 16:06.
SSD2122 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 16:07   #108
BHPian

I am not surprised by the results. People buy Creta for apt size,comfortable and feature rich drive and availability of Hyundai's ASS.
Turbojet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 16:12   #109
Senior - BHPian

Why lot of people are surprised or disappointed for Creta or i20? Hyundai's are never known for their build quality like Fiat, Ford or VW. They are mainly famous for giving lots of features in their cars.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 16:27   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
Surprisingly Kia sells Seltos in Australia which is again an RHD market like India. Kia has done the required changes to ensure RHD also performs well as it does in LHD-developed markets and ensured that the car received 5 stars.
The funny part is even the LHD version of the 'cheapened' Kia KX3 (SP2c), which is an LWB version on the platform of the Indian one, did very well in China NCAP including their offset frontal impact.

Name:  Screenshot 20220413 at 4.01.16 PM.png
Views: 376
Size:  491.5 KB

This has come to the point where Hyundai is now doing with only India - and that just hurts.

I remember having a 'gut feeling' mid-2021 that the i20 could do well, because of pressure from Tata. But it looks like they're not even at all embarrassed.
ron178 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 16:41   #111
BHPian

This was expected because even the Seltos too shares the same platform and components. However this is a dangerous trend as majority of the nation own these cars and if the body shell is rated unstable, even 8 or 10 airbags won't suffice.

I understand that there aren't too many choices in the market for a car which fulfils our expectation, but as a customer we have the power to decide the fate of a brand and we can do that by demanding quality products from manufacturers.

The same Creta/Seltos are built better for other nations. Why the step motherly treatment for the land which made Hyundai-Kia grow to where they are today.

Just pass in academics and just pass in a crash test are not the same and have life impending impact in the case of an automobile.

Tata and Mahindra have thankfully not compromised on such crucial aspects but their niggles are a different border though.

This trend shouldn't be watered down to all brands and it's high time India regulates an unbiased testing body and a lemon law.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th April 2022 at 20:45. Reason: Off-topic content deleted
jithin23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 16:46   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The story so far:

Attachment 2296059

Source: Global NCAP

Ranking as per Adult and Child Safety Ratings and Points (out of 66 combined)
Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4-20220413_164406.jpg
joeva1706 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 17:04   #113
BHPian

I believe except this forum and some educated buyers, not many people in India know or understand more than '2 airbags' and '4 airbags' as safety. I have had a chat recently with three people in my extended family including one where the requirement was to ferry a toddler to school by his mother and requested each of them to consider a safer cars and all have gone ahead with booking a Hyundai.

Maybe like the cigarette packet, there should be a mandatory poster on each test car boney showcasing risk and safety rating.
mindshack is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 17:54   #114
BHPian

The results are not at all surprising to me especially considering the fact that Seltos had similar rating.

But these doesn't matter to 95% of the purchase as people don't care about unstable structure but only bothered about cooling seats and panoramic sunroof.

Bring more gizmos and the people will forget these low crash ratings over a panoramic sunroof that can change colours perhaps.
Old 13th April 2022, 18:02   #115
BHPian

The title of this thread should be Hyundai Creta barely manages 3 stars. 8.0 score pathetic. Owners must be feeling really bad. Their premium SUV has about the same safety as a 5 Lakh "tin can" hatch.

Wondering how will Alcazar fare. Making a heavier car safer costs more money since bigger forces are involved. I won't be surprised if it gets even lesser score.
JediKnight is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 18:02   #116
BHPian

The results of the Creta actually doesn't surprise me. In fact, I didn't have great expectations from Creta anyways after Seltos's result. However, I am disappointed with the i20's result. Here are my reasons:
  1. The new i20 was launched in 2020 when the Global NCAP rating awareness was already established especially after Altroz's result in the same segment.
  2. Hyundai packaged a very solid safety equipment list in the i20 with side and curtain airbags and ESC which even Altroz doesn't offer. So, I thought Hyundai would have improved the chassis to counter Altroz in case the test happens in future.
  3. Hyundai India released the below video of the new i20 platform emphasizing 13% improved tensile strength giving a notion of increased body rigidity.

Btw, does anyone know if the same rating is applicable to i20 N line as well?
skarthiksr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 18:16   #117
Senior - BHPian

I'm reminded of this time Hormazd Sorabjee asked someone at Hyundai if he "had a number in mind" when it came to the new i20's safety performance and he quickly avoided the topic.

Watch at 10:10 and 10:49.

ron178 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 19:45   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
Btw, does anyone know if the same rating is applicable to i20 N line as well?
I'd assume it to be identical. The Indian version of the "N-line" is like a joke. Barring a few cosmetic changes and slightly different suspension tuning, exhaust note and steering feedback, the car is essentially the same underneath.
krishnakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 21:24   #119
BHPian

Not surprised at all. This was known and expected. We should start calling out Hyundai in the same breath as Maruti. Unfortunately the sales graph is inversely proportional to the safety ratings. Unfortunate to see car buyers deciding basis the screen size, gizmos and glitter than build quality, driving dynamics and overall quality.
yogeshb18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 22:13   #120
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post
Attaching a pic of the Creta at launch where it was supposed to take the weight of 2 elephants standing on it.
True, they said two African Elephants could stand on the Creta, but they never said what would happen to the Creta after that Even six elephants and a T-Rex can also stand on the new Creta, it would be a lot more flat, than just 2 elephants standing on it

On the other hand, the regular Indian car buyer has never bothered to ask for safety anyway. He will still look at the size of the touch screen, the ARAI rating, and be happy!
aravind.anand is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed