Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2022, 13:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4

The Global New Car Assessment Programme (Global NCAP), the FIA-funded body that evaluates the safety performance of cars for emerging markets, has published new frontal offset crash test results for more popular Indian cars in its latest round of Safer Cars for India crash test results.

The models tested in this latest round include:
Hyundai Creta + 2 Airbags
Hyundai i20 + 2 Airbags
Toyota Urban Cruiser + 2 Airbags

Name:  SaferCarsForIndia.png
Views: 1638
Size:  106.9 KB

Hyundai Creta + 2 Airbags
The new Hyundai Creta achieved three stars for adult occupant protection and three stars for child occupant protection. Problems included only adequate protection to the driver's head, excessive intrusion of the pedals, rupture of the footwell as well as instability of the passenger compartment. The driver's head showed adequate protection, and the driver's chest marginal.

Using the child seats recommended by Hyundai, the 18 month-old showed good protection but the 3 year-old showed head exposure and weak chest protection. The model does not have standard ISOFIX anchorages as standard and has a static lap belt in the rear centre seat.

Read the full technical report here.

Hyundai i20 + 2 Airbags
The new Hyundai i20 achieved three stars for adult occupant protection and three stars for child occupant protection.

Problems included weak protection to the driver's chest, only adequate protection to the driver's head, rupture of the footwell as well as instability of the passenger compartment.

Using the child seats recommended by Hyundai, which were installed using ISOFIX anchorages, the i20 showed full protection to both child dummies' heads and chests, however the 3 year-old's neck showed poor protection. The model was very close to achieving four stars for child occupant protection but just fell short.

Toyota Urban Cruiser + 2 Airbags
The Toyota Urban Cruiser achieved four stars for adult occupant protection and three stars for child occupant protection.

Most regions of the adult occupants showed good to adequate protection in the frontal offset test, however Toyota declined to present kneemapping data resulting in marginal protection to the knees, otherwise the Urban Cruiser was very close to achieving the minimum score required in the frontal offset test for a better star rating.

Using the child seats recommended by Toyota, the Urban Cruiser showed good to adequate protection to the 3 year-old and full protection for the 18 month-old. The model was very close to achieving four stars for child occupant protection but just fell short.

Quote:

Global NCAP Media Release.

12 April 2022

Four stars for Toyota Urban Cruiser and three for Hyundai Creta and i20 in latest Indian crash test results

Global NCAP launches the second round of 2022 #SaferCarsForIndia crash tests results today with Hyundai i20 and Creta scoring three stars for adult and child occupant protection and the Toyota Urban Cruiser reaching four stars for adult and three for child occupant protection.

For the #SaferCarsForIndia project, Global NCAP currently tests frontal crash protection for occupants and not side impact, Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and pedestrian protection. These requirements will form part of new Global NCAP assessment protocols from July 2022.

Alejandro Furas, Secretary General of Global NCAP said,

“Although the overall star rating of these models might seem reasonable, the continued reluctance of manufacturers like Hyundai and Toyota to equip safety systems such as ESC and side body and head protection airbags as a basic requirement in India is disappointing. This is why Global NCAP welcomes the Indian government’s initiative of increasing side impact protection requirements and why Global NCAP will update its test protocols as from July. Success in the rating assessment will then only be possible if these improved safety features are included as standard.”

David Ward, Executive President of the Towards Zero Foundation said,

“We have seen steady progress in the safety rating of models tested in India over the last six years. It’s been especially welcome that domestic automakers in India have risen to Global NCAP’s safety challenge. Global players like Toyota and Hyundai should follow their lead.”

Hyundai Creta (2 airbags)

The Creta was tested in its most basic safety spec fitted with 2 frontal airbags and ABS. It recorded an unstable structure and the risk of injury to the lower legs and feet of the driver. Lack of ISOFIX anchorages and 3 point belts in all seating positions explains the child occupant protection results. Global NCAP was surprised to see in such a new model the lack of 3 point belts in all seating positions, lack of ESC and no side head impact protection as standard.

Hyundai i20 (2 airbags)

The i20 was tested in its most basic safety spec fitted with 2 frontal airbags and ABS. During the assessment it showed an unstable structure, a risk of the driver airbag not fully protecting the driver’s head and weak protection to the driver’s chest. Despite using the ISOFIX anchorages to install both Child Restraint Systems (CRS) the 3 year old dummy showed high deceleration in the head during the crash. It surprised Global NCAP that this model is still being sold with a lap belt (all seating positions should have 3 point belts) in the rear centre seat, no ESC and no side head impact protection as standard in comparison to the same model in Europe that offers Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) as standard equipment.

Toyota Urban Cruiser (2 airbags)

Toyota’s Urban Cruiser was tested in its most basic safety spec fitted with 2 frontal airbags and ABS. During the assessment it showed a stable structure, and adequate to good protection of critical body regions of the adults. The CRS installed using the ISOFIX anchorages showed good protection of both child occupants. The lack of 3 point belts in all seating positions and the high neck biomechanical values in the frontal crash explain the three stars for child occupant protection.
Press release

Last edited by ron178 : 12th April 2022 at 13:59.
ron178 is online now   (62) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 13:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating

Hyundai Creta secured a 3 star rating for both adult and child protection; and the car’s body shell integrity was rated as Unstable

Quote:
Hyundai Creta (2 airbags)

The Creta was tested in its most basic safety spec fitted with 2 frontal airbags and ABS. It recorded an unstable structure and the risk of injury to the lower legs and feet of the driver. Lack of ISOFIX anchorages and 3 point belts in all seating positions explains the child occupant protection results. Global NCAP was surprised to see in such a new model the lack of 3 point belts in all seating positions, lack of ESC and no side head impact protection as standard.
Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4-smartselect_20220412133844_drive.jpg

Hyundai i20 scores 3 star GNCAP safety rating for both adult and child occupancy, Bodyshell rated Unstable

Quote:
Hyundai i20 (2 airbags)

The i20 was tested in its most basic safety spec fitted with 2 frontal airbags and ABS. During the assessment it showed an unstable structure, a risk of the driver airbag not fully protecting the driver’s head and weak protection to the driver’s chest. Despite using the ISOFIX anchorages to install both Child Restraint Systems (CRS) the 3 year old dummy showed high deceleration in the head during the crash. It surprised Global NCAP that this model is still being sold with a lap belt (all seating positions should have 3 point belts) in the rear centre seat, no ESC and no side head impact protection as standard in comparison to the same model in Europe that offers Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) as standard equipment.
Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4-smartselect_20220412134214_drive.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 12th April 2022 at 13:51.
Venkatesh is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 13:44   #3
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 and Creta scores 3 star GNCAP safety rating

This is marginally better than the Kia Seltos, but a matter of concern for the Korean siblings. Safety needs to be on top of the list as there is no replacement to that. Features can be lived without any day unless they add value to the overall experience but should be secondary on the list.

Wake-up Hyundai & Kia!!

Well done Toyota!!
joeva1706 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 13:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Global NCAP: New Creta, New i20, Urban Cruiser

More details on the Global NCAP tests of the Hyundai's Creta, i20 and Toyota's Urban Cruiser:

- Disappointingly Low Scores For Hyundai Creta & i20 In Latest Crash Tests

- The Hyundai Creta has just barely made it to the 3 Star mark, much like its platform-sharing cousin the Kia Seltos had in a similar test conducted in 2020.

- The Creta has managed a better score for child occupant protection though with three stars, as the Seltos had only managed two.

- The Hyundai i20 was also tested in its base variant - with dual airbags and ABS. It too has shown an unstable structure, and worryingly also exhibits a risk of the driver side airbag not completely protecting the driver's head and chest.

- Yet, the Creta's body shell has been rated unstable, with a higher risk of likely injury to the legs and feet of the front passengers. Its lack of standard safety equipment like ISOFIX child seat anchorages, 3-point seatbelts, and ESC (electronic stability control) for all passengers, also pulled down its scores.

Alejandro Furas, Secretary General, Global NCAP :
Quote:
Although the overall star rating of these models might seem reasonable, the continued reluctance of manufacturers like Hyundai to equip safety systems such as ESC and side body and head protection airbags as a basic requirement in India is disappointing.

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th April 2022 at 13:56.
volkman10 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 13:53   #5
Team-BHP Support

If Seltos barely got 3 stars with 0.03 margin, Creta manages to finish exactly on the dot at the 3-star requirement. 8.00 against 8.03 of the Seltos!

Sad to see this at a 22L price point, though we all knew this was coming! Even i20 scored a better AOP score than the Creta!

In other news - waiting period is almost 10 months for some variants.

Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4-autocar_indiapost2022_04_12_13_303.jpg

Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4-autocar_indiapost2022_04_12_13_304.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th April 2022 at 13:56.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 13:55   #6
BHPian

Creta's rating is basically same as Seltos rating, both barely touching 3 star requirement. If this is the case, i20 is the safest car in Hyundai's stable, huh. (Barring Tuscon, of course).

Is it safe to assume Venue/Sonet pair also would be in the same ball pack? Marginal 3 star?
prajwalmr62 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 13:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating

Truly disappointing! Also makes one wonder the state of lakhs of previous gen Cretas as well.

While maruti always used the value/cheap tag to reason building unsafe cars, Hyundai has no excuse. Indian buyers paid a premium to buy and service, in the belief that Hyundai offered them better cars.
shortbread is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 14:00   #8
BHPian

Interesting to see Urban Cruiser has a marginally better score for Adults and significantly better score for Children. Is it because the structure is different compared to Brezza?
Old 12th April 2022, 14:08   #9
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Hyundai Creta scores 3 star Global NCAP safety rating.

Attachment 2295649

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=_6x2h-P84vk
Highly disappointed.

It missed a 2 stars rating by a 0.01 margin only, scored 8/17.

Anything <8 is two stars.

Seltos scored higher = 8.03/17

Hyundai should rethink as a global brand to lauch such unsafe cars in Indian markets even after charging such premium.

Last edited by Sanket299 : 12th April 2022 at 14:10. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Sanket299 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 14:09   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Hyundai Creta scores 3 star Global NCAP safety rating.

Seltos scored 8.03 out of 17 for adult protection in 2020.
Creta, its twin, now scores 8.00 out of 17.

In any case, Adult Occupation Protection Score between 5 & 7.99 is 2 stars.
Adult Occupation Protection Score between 8 & 10.99 is 3 stars

So again we have a case of just about 3 stars
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 14:23   #11
BHPian

Not sure just curtain airbags and side airbags would improve Hyundai's rating. There is also less chest and head protection from the existing airbag and with all the ruptures in the foot well, its really disappointing. They are not inexpensive cars and hope people consider the safety results.

Why cant they put the safety stars and mileage information on the window glass for everyone to see on the test drive cars ? Even the authorities here should start caring for the consumers more.
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 14:25   #12
BANNED

re: Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4

Mod Note: Post Deleted. If you want to be sarcastic and / or ridicule other members, Team-BHP is NOT the place. On the other hand, if you want to post in a polite, respectful manner, that would be appreciated.

Last edited by GTO : 12th April 2022 at 16:51.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 12th April 2022, 14:31   #13
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 and Creta scores 3 star GNCAP safety rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeva1706 View Post
This is marginally better than the Kia Seltos, but a matter of concern for the Korean siblings.
I guess their matter of concern is when their sales numbers dip. Until such time they will happily churn out facelifts and count the bank balance.
sheelapratosh is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 14:33   #14
BHPian

Maybe a very noob question to ask, but since they tested the base model here with only 2 airbags, is it possible that the top end variants will score more thank the NCAP ratings since they include 6 airbags + ESP and other fanfare?
AB10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 14:35   #15
BHPian

The only car in India to get the ratings for both petrol and diesel variants.

Brezza diesel and Brezza petrol / Urban cruiser petrol:

Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4-both.jpg

In the facelift, MS provided SBR on the passenger side, an extra point (0.5) of SBR was added to the total score.

If a different engine can make this much difference in protection, then they must crash test all engine variants of that particular car.

Last edited by Vignesh Vee : 12th April 2022 at 14:56.
Vignesh Vee is online now   (31) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks