Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2022, 14:46   #16
BANNED

re: Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Hyundai Creta secured a 3 star rating for both adult and child protection; and the car’s body shell integrity was rated as Unstable
And we are not talking about the A and B segment cars whose customers are very price sensitive. We are talking about cars in the 10+Lakh category! And cars those are selling 10+K every month! If companies like Maruti, Hyundai and KIA are taking the cost cutting to these segments, it will be a disaster to the Indian automotive industry and the customers.

These global automotive firms have to learn a lesson or two from Indian automotive companies like Tata and Mahindra. They should learn from the success of XUV 700 and Nexon that customers deserve safer cars.
romeomidhun is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 14:48   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Global NCAP: New Creta, New i20, Urban Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
Interesting to see Urban Cruiser has a marginally better score for Adults and significantly better score for Children. Is it because the structure is different compared to Brezza?
This could be due to difference in the engines. Brezza was tested with a diesel engine whereas Urban Cruiser has been tested with a petrol engine. The crumple zones would have acted in a different way and hence the results.
BoneCollector is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 14:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai Creta secured a 3 star rating for both adult and child protection; and the car’s body shell integrity was rated as Unstable
This was expected after the Seltos result, in fact as this image (source - (Kia Seltos body structure facts & comparison with the Hyundai Creta)) shows, the Creta has even less floor re-inforcement than the Seltos. Maybe this explains the slightly lower adult score.
Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4-sp2i-vs-su2i-underbody.jpg

8 points is literally the qualifying score for 3 points, so this barely made it through.

Hope these results also show the government and policy makers that adding airbags without structural strength is not the right solution.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th April 2022 at 05:10. Reason: Image uploaded as attachment
fiat_tarun is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 14:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How does any of this matter until we get panaromic sunroof?? In case of a serious accident, we will have one additional way to escape the car.

Last edited by 2000rpm : 12th April 2022 at 14:50. Reason: Added more sarcasm
2000rpm is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 14:53   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Why cant they put the safety stars and mileage information on the window glass for everyone to see on the test drive cars ? Even the authorities here should start caring for the consumers more.
Unless the ratings are given by some Indian agency (in future Bharat NCAP?), no one would bother unless they have got 5 stars, in which they case they will shout at top of their lungs (tata..and rightly so) about the 5 star safety rating.
Also government needs to make it mandatory to display ratings once Bharat NCAP becomes functioning and they start rating existing and brand new cars.
raksrules is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 14:55   #21
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB10 View Post
Maybe a very noob question to ask, but since they tested the base model here with only 2 airbags, is it possible that the top end variants will score more thank the NCAP ratings since they include 6 airbags + ESP and other fanfare?
Body shell strength is more important than airbag counts and electronics. That is why Tata and Mahindra are able to achieve more stars with just two airbags. If the underlying chassis is not strong enough to withstand accident, it does not matter the number of airbags fitted to a car.

That said EuroNCAP needs few more electronics such as autonomous braking and few others for higher stars. Both GlobalNCAP and EuroNCAP follows different grading system / requirements.

Last edited by amvj : 12th April 2022 at 15:01.
amvj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 15:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

The 3 star rating is flattering because it hides the worrying fact is the adult safety protection on the Creta is especially poor.

Had the Creta scored .01 less in adult protection it would have only scored Two stars. Hyundai somehow scraped through to score 3 points, somewhat like a backbencher managing to pass an exam!
shortbread is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 15:01   #23
BHPian

Absolutely disappointing but as expected after the seltos test.

What's sad to see is the i20 also scoring poorly with an unstable body shell. Especially because the same car sold in other geographies offer better safety equipment. They are short changing India customers but unfortunately bling and sunroofs take precedence to Indian customers over core safety - Hyundai is just catering to these needs.

I guess I am relatively better off in my 'ancient' 4 star rated polo than the latest modern i20!

Sad state of affairs honestly
Shreyas_H is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 15:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Hyundai Creta scores 3 star Global NCAP safety rating.

Attachment 2295649

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=_6x2h-P84vk
Not surprising, correct? So both siblings stand on same safety rating which was kind of expected IMHO.
Old 12th April 2022, 15:05   #25
BHPian

re: Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4

The very fact that makers like Suzuki and Hyundai are able to openly defy NCAP results is a testament to the fear-mongering and overtly political approach that GNCAP has taken in India while acting as the propaganda arm of EU.

NCAP as a metric of safety, although flawed and not in line with Indian road conditions, is still the only safety scale available today apart from government regulations. To be reduced to a toothless agency and ignored by some OEMs just shows that GNCAP did not do their ground work before their sensationalist entry into Indian market. The same OEMs though kow tow to them in Global markets.

Also the very fact that GNCAP current norms in India are absolutely incomparable to Norms all over the world, just reduces their value further.

Coming to the topic of Hyundai performance in NCAP tets, we should remember that in the July 2022 version of GNCAP norms, nearly all cars currently in Indian market would lose further one star due to upgraded requirements. So, in effect we are looking at 2 star vehicles from Hyundai. And all OEMs were aware of the same atleast 1-2 years ago. Just goes to show importance of NCAP in India to most consumers.

Last edited by GTO : 12th April 2022 at 16:53. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Carma2017 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 15:05   #26
BHPian

Despite of poor crash rating, I still see lot of Seltos and Creta recommendations by BHPians in what car threads. No matter how good the product is, if it’s not safe we should refrain from recommending such cars. We are in an unfortunate situation where we don’t have proper competitor for Seltos/Creta.
I guess almost all Indian Hyundai cars tested in GNCAP got poor results, it shows manufacturer intension of making more profit than providing safer cars. Unless public start demanding safer cars with wallet or our government pushes for stricter crash norms, we will not see safer cars from Hyundai/Kia.

Test results shows how gullible we are and how manufacturers treat us like a third world market.
rainmaster is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 15:20   #27
BHPian

Couldnt feel happier for Nexon beating the Koreans in sales as of late.

Attaching a pic of the Creta at launch where it was supposed to take the weight of 2 elephants standing on it.

Even the Liva which was one of the Toyotas with poorest build quality fared better than this.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4-45ab32b100704423b21b43a36d6eeb59.png  

Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4-57ef244319a84eb4a520cc9c5ebf2d67.jpeg  

spkrnh is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 15:21   #28
BHPian

As expected. Newer Hyundais are all about features and plastic quality.
Neither the best in Fuel efficiency figures nor anywhere near average in safety.

Very sad.
dr_TJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 15:21   #29
BHPian

Even if GNCAP were to test a version with 4 additional airbags and some more safety tech, the body shell being unstable would still persist.

In my limited understanding of car manufacturing, I am sure the body structure and related members are all the same material and do not change from one variant to another.

I wonder if an RTI can be filed to get to know the kind of steel a manufacturer uses in different parts of the bodyshell. It would be most intriguing and informative for everyone.
Newtown is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 15:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Body shell strength is more important than airbag counts and electronics. That is why Tata and Mahindra are able to achieve more stars with just two airbags. If the underlying chassis is not strong enough to withstand accident, it does not matter the number of airbags fitted to a car.
An abysmal safety rating was already expected, considering the fact that both Seltos and Creta belong to the same platform. I guess Creta scored less than its counterpart due to panoramic sunroof compromising on structural integrity. I have attached a data sheet which clearly shows the extent to which driver safety has been compromised. Do we deserve such treatment after parting with our hard-earned money? Disappointed, to say the least.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4-60668a6084a74bb09f2b4172fe84f199.jpeg  

Last edited by Travelling_Monk : 12th April 2022 at 15:39.
Travelling_Monk is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed