Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2022, 19:29   #61
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4

Creta 2nd gen owners after Seltos' GNCAP got published :

Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4-humalaghamemetemplateofgangsofwasseypur1024x576.jpg

Seltos owners after seeing Creta's performance in GNCAP test :

Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4-aurbhaiaagayaswaad.jpg

Last edited by Turbokick : 12th April 2022 at 19:31.
Turbokick is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 19:47   #62
BHPian

Re: Global NCAP: New Creta, New i20, Urban Cruiser

All results on expected lines and while these might ignite a few heated debates on TBHP, it will be forgotten within a week by the general public.

Why does an average Indian book a Creta? When they are buying a 15-20 lac car they want it to have a massive road presence, butch styling (going by the current SUV trend), a huge Panoramic sunroof through which they and their family can peep out and get a good few snaps for the 'gram. They want the biggest touchscreen possible because that's what makes a car "modern". In short, they want a car they can show off and don't have to explain its plus points like great handling, safety, brilliant engine etc to others. That's where the Korean siblings stand out and don't have a worthy opponent.

I believe that a mid-size SUV coming from an established manufacturer like Suzuki, Toyota, Honda which does not have a reputation of being costly to maintain (VAG) and the product has to match the Korean twins on size as well as features. If this product can boast of a 4 or 5 Star rating then that could be the doom for Creta/Seltos. Till then they will sell in huge numbers as they do offer the best overall package in the segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
and the fact that there's an upcoming launch. Yes the model I had in mind is one of those you've mentioned.
I am hoping this is the 5th Gen City with the upcoming hybrid City launch. This would go a long way in cementing its place in the sedan segment as well as help it compete against the mid-size SUVs.
AutoConsultant is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 20:16   #63
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post
Attaching a pic of the Creta at launch where it was supposed to take the weight of 2 elephants standing on it.
I'm sure the Creta can take the weight of 2 elephants ... if that load is evenly distributed and is acting exactly along the plane of every upright structural member. But that is useful only if we live in a physics exam paper . They probably took the compressive strength of each vertical metal part, did some maths, added them all up and landed up with number that's equivalent to two elephants. I'm guessing most cars can take this kind of loading in this manner.

It was a good marketing ploy to convey safety where none exists.
lordrayden is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 20:26   #64
Senior - BHPian

Urban Cruiser vs Vitara Brezza

I see a lot of confusion on many forums as to why the child protection ratings for the Brezza and Urban Cruiser are so different.

The first and most basic thing you have to know is that a Global NCAP child protection rating is for a combination of a car and the recommended child seats - the same child seats with a different car or the same car with different child seats could perform very differently.

Secondly: the child seat that's used in the test is at the discretion of the car manufacturer because it is their responsibility to know what available child seat performs best with their model.

You can find the child seats used in the test in the fact sheet.
Name:  Screenshot 20220412 at 7.59.47 PM.png
Views: 562
Size:  137.6 KB

The global guideline for decades has been to have a child sitting in a rearward-facing child seat until they are at least of a certain weight (according to ECE R44) or height (according to ECE R129 ('i-Size')).

This is because the neck bones of small children are not developed well enough to handle forces in an impact if positioned forward-facing. Some child seat and car manufacturers recommend rearward-facing travel for even longer than required by the ECE regulations: Volvo recommends up to even four years if it's possible.

In Global NCAP tests, positioning the 3 year old is somewhat a grey area: most manufacturers go forward-facing but some manufacturers have recently been switching to rearward-facing even for the 3 year old in line with latest guidelines: Mahindra XUV700, Tata Tigor EV, Tata Punch, Honda Jazz.

But for the 18 month old the best option is always rearward-facing. In fact, Global NCAP does not award dynamic points for the head and neck of the 18 month old dummy (Q1.5) if the manufacturer places it forward facing.
Name:  Screenshot 20220412 at 8.05.44 PM.png
Views: 531
Size:  12.5 KB

The only cars ever where the manufacturer has recommended a forward-facing child seat for the 18 month old are the Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza, Maruti Suzuki Ertiga and Maruti Suzuki New Swift.

And you can see the results:
Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4-screenshot-20220412-8.15.32-pm.png
Vitara Brezza

On the other hand, Toyota changed the child seat for the 18 month old to a rearward-facing installation.

You can see the results:
Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4-screenshot-20220412-8.18.50-pm.png
Urban Cruiser

As for adult protection, half the extra point came from an extra seatbelt reminder that the government mandated, and half came from the driver's chest protection going from weak to marginal for reasons unknown. It's not actually that different: it might seem that way because Global NCAP only recently corrected the dummy presentation for right hand drive cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post
I am hoping this is the 5th Gen City with the upcoming hybrid City launch.
I hope you realise that what I said is based on just a gut feeling that there even is in fact another test - your guess is as good as mine. Yes I was thinking of the Honda City because Furas was talking in the carandbike video about how it has side airbags as standard and the i20 doesn't, which is strange because the City they published last month was the fourth generation. That said, even in the unlikely event that they are testing the City, the frontal impact will have to be repeated for the hybrid (since it's not launched yet it would have to be sponsored by Honda - which I'm not ruling out because they have sponsored the Mobilio before). That said, this is all just a wild guess and it's entirely possible there will be no more results until the new protocols come in. Although I have a nagging (again gut) feeling the Scorpio with sealed doors spotted being loaded on a plane a few days ago might have been for a test. But seriously, don't trust me. For a long time I believed the MG Hector was being tested which also turned out wrong.
ron178 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 20:49   #65
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB10 View Post
Maybe a very noob question to ask, but since they tested the base model here with only 2 airbags, is it possible that the top end variants will score more thank the NCAP ratings since they include 6 airbags + ESP and other fanfare?
The bodyshell would still remain an unstable one. I personally wouldn't buy one even with an extra safety star
Old 12th April 2022, 21:11   #66
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4

Some of the latest features on the new Creta
ADAS: As Dangerous As Seltos
ABS: All But Safety
DCT: Damage to Chest and Teeth
ESC: Enough for Sucker's Car
DOHC: Death on High-speed Collision
Puddle shift, Heel fold, Panoramic tinroof etc on offer

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th April 2022 at 23:23. Reason: Adding duplicate info.
TopLiveCentre is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 21:38   #67
Senior - BHPian

I guess the results are expected since the Seltos and Creta are essentially the same car. The i20 having a similar GNCAP score indicates that contrary to those analysis threads of Sonet/Venue structure, it's quite likely that the sub 4m SUVs are also going to have a sub 4 star safety rating.
Old 12th April 2022, 21:45   #68
BHPian

As a Hyundai Creta 2020 Diesel Auto (top of the end) owner, feels really disappointed but this was totally totally expected. I am not surprised.

I purchased this Creta in Sept 2020 and have done nearly 27, 000 kms on it. In Feb 2021 we got a Jeep Compass for our parents, Limited 80th Anniversary Edition(manual). The more I use the Compass, the more it makes me believe that there is a day and night difference in the build quality of the two car. And I kid you not, my Creta now feels like a scooty which we easily hop on to when we have to go for getting grocery and vegetables from the nearby market.

It's high time the market gets concerned about the build quality of cars. With most of the Indian road getting better day by day, the driving speeds are going to go up and we need our cars to be strong. Happy to see Tata is building strong cars.
zepp1108 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 21:53   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopLiveCentre View Post
Some of the latest features on the new Creta
DOHC: Death on High-speed Collision
This is really interesting! Is this feature limited only to Creta? If you really think so, care to elaborate?

Last edited by Emvi : 12th April 2022 at 21:55.
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 21:53   #70
BHPian

Unsurprising and expected of Urban Cruiser due to earlier Brezza's rating. It's a good job by Suzuki and Toyota.

Unsurprising and expected of Creta due to earlier Seltos' rating. It's a bad job by Hyundai and Kia.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 22:11   #71
BHPian

It is proven beyond the doubt that Hyundai and Kia are using inferior material in India to gather more profit margin.

It is high time, government should intervene to stop this practice in the interest of Indian car owner's safety.

Last edited by IP_Man : 12th April 2022 at 22:15. Reason: Typo
IP_Man is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 22:20   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exilus13 View Post
What is wrong with pointing out one of the major fundamental cons in a car?
Here is the problem: that the car has 3/5 rating is an issue, but a much higher % of cars which have been sold for some time, yet not tested or tested with poor results should also be highlighted equally. And let us remember that this is just the frontal offset collision test at 64 kph. Our regulations are reportedly set to 48 kph, and that means the current set of cars would well pass the test. So then it becomes a matter of relative measure. Soon it may well be the case that none of the current 4/5 star rated cars will pass the revised GNCAP norms. So at that point are we going to bemoan lack of adherence to the higher GNCAP norms by almost all manufacturers ? In fact this is exactly the argument that the manufacturers will put out . Otherwise we need to have the most stringent, well researched standard in place for all road worthy vehicles to comply and the manufacturing process must be agile enough to adapt to changing requirements every few years.
Old 12th April 2022, 22:31   #73
BHPian

Very disappointed as a Creta owner. Not surprised at all though as it was expected.

Hyundai and Kia need to do better than this. They can't expect customers to pay 2 million bucks (top model) for a car with unstable structure .

I have been saying this - we need better competition in the segment. Had high expectations from VW/Skoda but looking at their half baked products, I'm not holding my breath! I sincerely hope MG Astor scores good though and sets a benchmark for others.
Col Mehta is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 22:31   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepp1108 View Post
As a Hyundai Creta 2020 Diesel Auto (top of the end) owner, feels really disappointed but this was totally totally expected. I am not surprised.

I purchased this Creta in Sept 2020 and have done nearly 27, 000 kms on it. In Feb 2021 we got a Jeep Compass for our parents, Limited 80th Anniversary Edition(manual). The more I use the Compass, the more it makes me believe that there is a day and night difference in the build quality of the two car. And I kid you not, my Creta now feels like a scooty which we easily hop on to when we have to go for getting grocery and vegetables from the nearby market.
I share your disappointment, though not wholly unexpected. But isn't build quality a relative thing for you at this point? At least the Creta is tested. The Compass is not. So I'd say that an unknown is equally worrisome. Unless you believe in "Ignorance is bliss"

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 12th April 2022 at 22:33.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 22:42   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaster View Post
Despite of poor crash rating, I still see lot of Seltos and Creta recommendations by BHPians in what car threads. No matter how good the product is, if it’s not safe we should refrain from recommending such cars.
Out of curiosity, what will be your recommendation in this segment then? This segment has Creta, XUV700, Seltos, Compass, Harrier, Crysta and Nexon EV. Only XUV700 has a good safety rating. But it will only be available next year. Harrier is not yet tested. Considering what Tata did with volunteered tests for its other models, I am sure Harrier has got some serious crash test issues. Same case with Compass too. An RHD Compass has never been tested anywhere in the world yet. Nexon's crash test is not valid for Nexon EV. Crysta automatic costs 27 lakhs on road Kerala and comes with 3 airbags.

Really I don't have a choice but to keep recommending Creta and Seltos with 6 airbags for 20-23 L. They are known devils with 3 star rating and average reliability. Till the time Toyota-Suzuki's Creta rivalling SUV comes with better safety rating, people will continue buying them.

That said, Hyundai refusing to correct the problem even after the bad press that Seltos got is disappointing. It means they are confident the GNCAP ratings will not affect their sales. And that is the worrying part.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 12th April 2022 at 22:45.
padmrajravi is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed