Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2022, 23:00   #76
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I share your disappointment, though not wholly unexpected. But isn't build quality a relative thing for you at this point? At least the Creta is tested. The Compass is not. So I'd say that an unknown is equally worrisome. Unless you believe in "Ignorance is bliss"
I know the Compass is yet to get a rating but I am just talking about the feel that the Compass gives, the way it sticks to ground at higher speeds and sound when you knock against the gates and bonnet etc., really tells the difference.

However, I still love my Creta, don’t worry much about it’s crash ratings. I drive really slow. I hardly cross 80-90 kmph, unless I am on Lucknow Expressway. My Creta has given me wings to fly.
Old 12th April 2022, 23:03   #77
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4

Actually this result simplifies things for me as none of Hyundai or Kia cars will be in the shortlist for my next car

I would need at least a 4* rated car if not a 5* one!
searacer932 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 23:33   #78
BHPian

It's not really a bad news for Hyundai, but for customers who still prefer bling over safety, whether they realise it or not. Well, I feed proud of choosing Rapid and Ecosport over Verna and Creta respectively. I can live with so call decade-old design, but not with the poor build.
itsbaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 00:40   #79
BANNED

This thread can go 50 pages and it won’t make a difference. People were aware what they were buying. I can’t wait to sell the creta in my garage. The most hated car.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 01:34   #80
BHPian

This rules out Creta from my recommendation / Buy list.

I mean look at how gorgeous the Mahindra Thar looks and its still managed to get 4 stars and here is an ugly duckling (sorry current owners) that missed a 2 star rating by literally a whisker. The Koreans are giving their cars and brand a really bad name. Its not too long before customers start associating the brand with unsafe cars and this will put a ceiling on how high they can go (Similar to Maruti - Suzuki and INR 20L + Cars).

Even Suzuki boasts a 4 Star car at a much lesser price point (Brezza), this is just lazy and suicidal from Hyundai and Kia.
charanreddy is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 09:37   #81
BHPian

Any bhpian planning to cancel their creta booking after the crash test results were out yesterday. I have booked one and the car has arrived at the dealer last week. I was supposed to make the payment yesterday but holding it up and I'm in double mind whether to proceed further or cancel it. I'm aware of the Seltos' poor performance in crash test but I was under assumption that Hyundai might have made some changes or from the very first Creta might be different from Seltos in terms of build though both shares the same platform. I couldn't explain and convince the people at home/friends or rather i would say I'm unable to educate them regarding this crash test process. Everyone likes the creta not only for the huge feature list but also for the comfort it offers. I'm listing down my personal pros and cons. Would request fellow bhpians to help me get an answer. Where else is the better place in earth to have a discussion on this stuff and you all know how much it takes to finalize a car.

Advantage - Creta:
  • Diesel Engine - No direct competition. Harrier/Hector are expensive and not efficient. XUV700 has crazy waiting period and I don't need that much power. Too big for me as well since the new car will be the primary one and will be driven both in city as well as highways. I'm used to sub4m cars
  • Able to seat five adults comfortably
  • I have booked SX(O) diesel manual. It has all safety features on paper but the crash test result questions it's existence
  • Brand Hyundai - we already have a i20 in home and are satisfied with the car

Disadvantage - Creta:
  • Safety rating. Nothing else

I have checked all other cars in this price range.
  • New cars from Skoda/VW and MG Astor are strictly four seater and for my use case this is one of the major blocker. I won't use car for solo driving and most of the time it will be fully loaded
  • Jeep Compass is yet to be tested and so as the Germans
  • Kicks though felt solid, Duster from the same platform perfomed poorly in crash test
  • City is not suited for taller and well built adults. Felt cramped inside.Slavia was much better
bwildrd#1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 09:49   #82
BHPian

I don't think we should criticize Hyundai without being able to look through their lenses
Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4-hyundai-troll.jpg
GKR9900 is offline   (94) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 10:06   #83
BANNED

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 15th April 2022 at 08:18.
H_Dogg72 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th April 2022, 10:12   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwildrd#1 View Post
I was supposed to make the payment yesterday but holding it up and I'm in double mind whether to proceed further or cancel it.
If the safety rating won't play spoilsport in your mind while driving the car, I would say go ahead and purchase it. If one wears seat belts all the time, and maintain reasonable speeds for the road he/she drives, then I believe all modern cars are more or less safe. Survival rates in an accident depend on lot of variables and safety rating is just one of them. For ex. in head-on collisions with a heavier vehicle at high speed, none of these ratings matter.

But if you can't enjoy the drive because you worry about the safety rating, OR if you are open to compromise some of the creature comforts and opt for a 4 or 5 star rated car, then better buy another car.

Last edited by sreerknair : 13th April 2022 at 10:15.
sreerknair is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 10:41   #85
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwildrd#1 View Post
Any bhpian planning to cancel their creta booking after the crash test results were out yesterday. I [/list]
Hi @bwildrd. I am in almost the same situation as yours. The final contest was between Harrier XT and Creta SX(O) diesel manual. XUV700 was not considered due to long waiting time. Harrier is definitely a better looker and has a great road presence but I didn't like the city driveability of the 2.0MJD engine. Also the footwell is poorly designed and it's an ergonomic disaster. The Creta has great driveability very linear power delivery and great fuel efficiency. I was sort of leaning towards it but then the crash test result of Creta came out yesterday and the choice became even more difficult.

Now I am seriously considering XUV700. Yes it has larger engine than I require and would be less efficient and high on maintenance, but it's a price that can be paid for having a higher crash test rating. The waiting period is currently an year but I think it'll get reduced to 6 months or so.

For you I would say, if you're thinking about the crash ratings now, you might never be able to drive the car in peace. This thought will keep lingering in your mind. The logical choice here is XUV700 AX5 diesel but then, not every decision can be made on logic. Do update what you do finally.
sbm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 11:03   #86
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Hyundai Creta secured a 3 star rating for both adult and child protection; and the car’s body shell integrity was rated as Unstable
Good wake-up call for Indian car buyers lured by razzmatazz of the Korean cousins! Proud to say that our Indian manufacturers viz. Tata and Mahindra, fare much better on this front!

Last edited by cool_dube : 13th April 2022 at 11:13. Reason: Typo
cool_dube is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 11:04   #87
BHPian

I was thinking, if Jeep Compass goes for a crash test now and if they get a 5-star rating, a lot of Creta soon-to-be-buyers would shift to Compass. Compass 2017 (US model) has already a 5-star rating. It's the time the better built cars start exposing this harsh reality of the Indian market and get on the front seat.
zepp1108 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 11:14   #88
Senior - BHPian

Re: Global NCAP: New Creta, New i20, Urban Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exilus13 View Post
What is wrong with pointing out one of the major fundamental cons in a car? Reliability issues can be solved with some effort, showroom and service center experiences can be dealt with, but how can we make a structurally weak car safe. Tata has been bashed for noisy engines and sub-par dealership experiences many a times in this forum, so why Hyundai/kia should not deserve the same! Even if the xuv700 and thar are getting forever to be delivered, the Seltos/Creta situation is also not much better.
Argument sounds good, BUT my experience was just horrendous. Had so many bitter experience with Tata ownership.

One time they had my car for one full week, with my permission of course, I rode my scooter for the week, finally returned my car without solving the issue! Imagine my stress levels. Common reply for any issue was "saar this is common for all Tigor saar".

Issue was strong burning smell while accelerating, they couldn't solve it even after multiple attempts, not sure what kind of fumes I had to inhale "for my safety".

On top of this, poor engine and slow as hell AMT kept putting me in sticky situation on single lane state highway, takes a eternity to overtake anything faster than Tata ace.

Finally settled for 3 star rated Figo AT, with almost 50k km in 2 years, never ever has put me in any kind of sticky situation once, has ESP, handles better, brakes better and feels much safer.
giri1.8 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 11:21   #89

Never anticipated to see this day when a car from Maruti Suzuki's stable (known for cost cutting and compromising on safety) to be rated better than the segment flagships from Hyundai (known for their premium offerings).

Although some would argue that Urban Cruiser is Toyota's car but under the hood it's still the same re-branded Brezza (which scored nearly the same with a different engine earlier).

It's about time that government mandates the safety ratings to be disclosed to the customer during the sale just like in US, carmakers/dealers are mandated to display the fuel efficiency sticker on new as well as pre-owned cars while showing it to the customer.
unknownartist01 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 11:50   #90
sbm
BHPian

Re: Global NCAP: New Creta, New i20, Urban Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Argument sounds good, BUT my experience was just horrendous. Had so many bitter experience with Tata ownership.

fer.
I second that sir. Reliability is one of the most crucial aspects of car ownership. A five star car that stays in the garage most of the time or leaves you stranded on a remote highway with your family is no good. Ultimately, It's a tough choice for buyers, take a risk on safety for a reliable car or buy a safe car and be ready for trouble. It's high time our Indian manufacturers start working on their quality control and after sales service.
sbm is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed