Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2022, 12:17   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
The new Hyundai i20 achieved three stars for adult occupant protection and three stars for child occupant protection.
Laughs in Polo!

I don't know if people actually move from brands like Skoda/VW to Maruti/Hyundai or are they mostly first time buyers.

I mean who would, lets say after test driving a Taigun/Kushaq, actually go for Creta. I'm genuinely curious to know how these decisions get taken, is it only money or something else.
fine69 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 12:22   #92

Re: Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4

Surprising to see Honda with old 4th gen city / Jazz scored 4 stars.. no wonder they command a premium over these over rated Koreans! It’s the customer that needs to be aware of such facts before making a decision. There old jazz is still safer then modern looking feature RICH i20 !
Parasm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 12:28   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Laughs in Polo!

I don't know if people actually move from brands like Skoda/VW to Maruti/Hyundai or are they mostly first time buyers.

I mean who would, lets say after test driving a Taigun/Kushaq, actually go for Creta. I'm genuinely curious to know how these decisions get taken, is it only money or something else.
Guess its something on the lines of your signature

Its reliability, serviceability and value. Germans do build good cars and I have owned many of them. Reliability is not a strong point. Only the parts not needed in moving the car are durable It helped that I always had them on lease and it gave some peace of mind of not having to persist with them for long.

Its great to see people here on the forum having second thoughts about the Korean twins based on safety. Hope it percolates to general masses and the govt should make sure its one of the main things that are disclosed on a new car.
PreludeSH is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 12:46   #94
BHPian

Glad Maruti Suzuki has company as the largest tin pot makers in India. Two of India's top three auto manufacturers now share this hallowed crown. Though I expect it'll be a bitter tablet for most to accept that Hyundai is (and always has been) in the same league as Maruti when it comes to the quality of structural components and safety, what with so much of absolutely essential and blinding bling in the vehicles they make
sam_babushka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 12:51   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Blaming the consumer isn't the solution. The consumer will buy what they like: there are people who prefer there things like practicality or fuel economy or technology, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Hyundai losing sales might not be the trigger: competition gaining sales should be. And that's probably where I'm most disappointed in Hyundai: this is a new car, on a modern platform, and it was launched well after the Altroz scored five stars and recorded very good sales. And despite that Hyundai don't seem to have changed their opinion that safety won't sell in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasm View Post
Surprising to see Honda with old 4th gen city / Jazz scored 4 stars.. no wonder they command a premium over these over rated Koreans! It’s the customer that needs to be aware of such facts before making a decision.
Sorry but from Honda I would have expected nothing less than five. Yes it's still better than most non-Indian competition but why and how a global manufacturer thinks four stars in 2022 shows "commitment" to safety beyond me (see their statement on the results), although I do get that both tested models are old. But if age is the reason for four stars, why not sponsor a newer model? And why not make pretensioners standard on the Jazz, perform kneemapping and bag the fifth star?

When the Civic scored four stars in Euro NCAP (which is much more comprehensive) it was a disaster and Honda immediately changed the geometry of the rear head curtain and funded a reassessment. In less than 40 minutes Euro NCAP publishes results for the new HR-V and I'm sure it won't be less than five stars: why can't Honda commit to the same in India despite a much more basic assessment?

Last edited by ron178 : 13th April 2022 at 13:02.
ron178 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 12:52   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Laughs in Polo!

I have moved from a Linea/City/Polo to a Creta.Its not too difficult to understand. The Creta is comfortable, relatively spacious in the cabin, and is extremely user friendly to drive, especially the IVT/ TC models . One gets to enjoy a creamy smooth power train and a supple-tending-to- firm suspension. Yes, the safety rating could be better but whatever else is available doesn't suffer any issues. There is no rattle or hardware/software niggle in my car after 12000+ km of good and bad road driving.
fhdowntheline is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 12:59   #97

Re: Global NCAP: New Creta, New i20, Urban Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Argument sounds good, BUT my experience was just horrendous. Had so many bitter experience with Tata ownership.

One time they had my car for one full week, with my permission of course, I rode my scooter for the week, finally returned my car without solving the issue! Imagine my stress levels. Common reply for any issue was "saar this is common for all Tigor saar".

Issue was strong burning smell while accelerating, they couldn't solve it even after multiple attempts, not sure what kind of fumes I had to inhale "for my safety".

On top of this, poor engine and slow as hell AMT kept putting me in sticky situation on single lane state highway, takes a eternity to overtake anything faster than Tata ace.

Finally settled for 3 star rated Figo AT, with almost 50k km in 2 years, never ever has put me in any kind of sticky situation once, has ESP, handles better, brakes better and feels much safer.
I was not defending Tata in my original post, i was just saying that every manufacturers get basing for their weak points, quoting tata as an example. VW gets bashed for the unreliable dsg, downgrade in current lineup, Ford used to get bashed for not introducing new cars etc.

In fact, I went to Tata and Hyundai dealership with my father in Dec of 2021 to have a look at sub4m cars - i20, venue, altroz and nexon. The response from Tata dealership was lackluster, so i20 was the primary contender. But GNCAP score published yesterday was a huge put off. Now we are waiting for the brezza and UC facelift to be launched.

Last edited by Exilus13 : 13th April 2022 at 13:02. Reason: Grammar mistake
Old 13th April 2022, 13:03   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Laughs in Polo! I don't know if people actually move from brands like Skoda/VW to Maruti/Hyundai or are they mostly first time buyers. I mean who would, lets say after test driving a Taigun/Kushaq, actually go for Creta. I'm genuinely curious to know how these decisions get taken, is it only money or something else.
Later build Polos and Ventos definitely feel lighter than the older ones! I have one, and I know the difference.
Sit in a Creta/Seltos and then hop into a Kushaq/Taigun. The VAG twins feel a segment lower. They might drive better, but if you're an enthusiast why even bother with a high GC CSUV? Rather buy a sedan like the Slavia/City instead!
nitkel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 13:30   #99
Senior - BHPian

I am interested in finding out what the Hyundai sales guys will say to convince customers.

One, I have heard already.

"Sir, it was the base model, which was tested. The higher versions with XX features are much safer."
ashutoshb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 14:03   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepp1108 View Post
As a Hyundai Creta 2020 Diesel Auto (top of the end) owner, feels really disappointed but this was totally totally expected. I am not surprised.

I purchased this Creta in Sept 2020 and have done nearly 27, 000 kms on it. In Feb 2021 we got a Jeep Compass for our parents, Limited 80th Anniversary Edition(manual). The more I use the Compass, the more it makes me believe that there is a day and night difference in the build quality of the two car.
The ~340 to 450 kg weight differential between the Jeep Compass the and Hyundai Creta would certainly have a part to play in that. The 9 speed automatic, a different suspension setup, etc would all add weight to the car not to mention the gauge of steel used.

I recall once having opened the bonnet of the compass while on a test drive and it was like lifting weights.
Old 13th April 2022, 14:15   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Laughs in Polo!

I can share my experience.

Had 4 VWs (2 Polo & 2 Vento) over 6 years. Eventually sold all of them off. At the time, I found myself in a situation where there was no Indian manufactured car (Non CKD & CBU) that really excited me to own.

To tide over some time, I bought a manual Maruti Baleno, used it 2 years and put 47,000 + kms on it. Finally when there was a car I was happy to purchase, sold off the Baleno (resale value was a key criteria in choosing it).

I will admit that during my initial Baleno ownership days I was terrified of driving it too quick.
Newtown is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 14:16   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

The story so far:

Quote:
To date Global NCAP has completed more than fifty-three safety assessments which have acted as an important catalyst in the safety improvement of Indian cars.
Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4-fqjldp5xeaay9jt.jpg

Source: Global NCAP
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 15:08   #103
BHPian

Disappointing results from Hyundai and it did not surprise me. Even hatchbacks is scoring 5 stars and high time for Koreans to focus on safety than features.
sunilkm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 15:13   #104
BHPian

Poor performance by Hyundai but completely expected and in line. There is no Hyundai car in India that has received more than 3 stars, even the 3 stars are just borderline (i20 is not far away). Here is the latest result.

The poor rating comes as a shocker when Hyundai advertised 2 fully grown African elephants standing on the roof. Maybe Hyundai only prioritized the roof instead of the rest of the car. What is more interesting is that the performance of Creta is almost identical to that of Seltos, clearly, Hyundai/Kia does not bother about safety and nothing is done to improve even by one bit.
Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4-kia_creta.jpg

Surprisingly Kia sells Seltos in Australia which is again an RHD market like India. Kia has done the required changes to ensure RHD also performs well as it does in LHD-developed markets and ensured that the car received 5 stars.
Name:  seltos_australia.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  54.6 KB
Such negligence by Hyundai/Kia is the main reason why I did not go ahead with Carens despite it being a compelling package.
Meph1st0 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 15:15   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
I am interested in finding out what the Hyundai sales guys will say to convince customers.

One, I have heard already.

"Sir, it was the base model, which was tested. The higher versions with XX features are much safer."
When I was looking for an SUV, I checked with the Hyundai sales person on the poor rating of the Seltos sibling and on whether Creta will also meet the same fate. I got two contradicting replies from two different dealers. One said "Sir, please lift the bonnet, it is so heavy, this is a different car altogether". The Other said "Sir, both vehicles are based on the same platform, and both will have same safety ratings". I had nearly booked Alcazar, as it was such a good package! Whether people accept it or not, paying 23 Lakhs (or lesser) for a 3 star rated vehicle, hurts!

Last edited by TSEA : 13th April 2022 at 15:17.
TSEA is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed