Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2022, 23:07   #121
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwildrd#1 View Post
Any bhpian planning to cancel their creta booking after the crash test results were out yesterday. I have booked one and the car has arrived at the dealer last week.
Would request fellow bhpians to help me get an answer. Where else is the better place in earth to have a discussion on this stuff and you all know how much it takes to finalize a car.
Well, it completely depends on your driving style.
  • If you are a casual driver who 99% of times do not drive at triple digit speeds, not very enthusiastic on corners and value feature list over safety, go ahead with Creta.
    It will still be the best selling SUV in that segment along with Seltos. There is nothing wrong in that.
  • But, if you do value safety over feature list, are an enthusiastic driver and love those corners. Cancel Creta.
What troubles me more with Creta crash test is that unstable body structure.

Quote:
Jeep Compass is yet to be tested and so are the Germans
The Jeep Compass is the best choice if you can afford one. If you are fine with the German twins' 4.25-seater rear space, I recommend them instead, with the Jeep Compass being the first choice.
  • Jeep Compass will for sure get 5 star at crash test. No matter what anyone argues about Jeep Compass' yet to be tested status, (unlike Korean twins) safety is their main selling point. Go to any Jeep showroom and they will boost about Jeep Compass' 60+ safety features list. And the new Compass is fully loaded with features.
    But, if only you can afford it
  • German twins will get 4 star. With their India 2.0 model, I'm not too optimistic on 5 star.
    But they have their own set of problem. Mainly After sales service ( ASS ) and DSG reliability ( if you're getting it ).
In any case, neither Jeeps nor Germans will have an unstable body structure.
rAijin_ is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 02:40   #122
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta & i20 get 3-star GNCAP safety rating; Toyota Urban Cruiser gets 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAijin_ View Post
Well, it completely depends on your driving style.
  • If you are a casual driver who 99% of times do not drive at triple digit speeds, not very enthusiastic on corners and value feature list over safety, go ahead with Creta.
    It will still be the best selling SUV in that segment along with Seltos. There is nothing wrong in that.
  • But, if you do value safety over feature list, are an enthusiastic driver and love those corners. Cancel Creta.
What troubles me more with Creta crash test is that unstable body structure.
At triple speeds, any accident is fatal. Safety ratings don't matter. However very few accidents happen at such speeds. Most of times driver applies break just before accident and speed is in range of 50s or 60s most probably. I hope NCAP must have done lots of study before deciding on speed of 64 km/hr for crash testing.

Cars of Creta class are stable at high speeds and without realizing you can be cruising at 60+ even in some portions of the city. A sharp collision even at 40+ km/hr can result in serious injuries. Safety ratings should matter very seriously.

Hyundai knows exactly what Indians want. We always go for Value for Money which basically means counting number of features at same price point. Any manufacturer can either give features or build quality keeping price fixed. If Hyundai builds better cars, they will have to increase price which will directly impact sales. They have chosen correct strategy for Indian markets. Tata and Mahindra are educating buyers about safety and we will see better awareness in coming years.
varun.petro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 03:13   #123

I waited for more than 1 year for the Altroz automatic. Made multiple visits to the Tata showroom..

And finally last year I bought the Swift. Its a secondary car that's mainly used for commutes with the city. But sometimes my brother does take it to drives out of the city on highways (though i always recommend him to take the BWM 3GT in such cases)

This NCAP rating is really making me wonder, if i can sell my swift and get an Altroz Automatic or Punch for that matter given the safety standards..

I mean hardly do we use these features in the car expect for the multi-media system and AC, but such published safety standard really have put me in a dilemma..
astrik.treks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 08:31   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You cannot possibly know that. There's just too much confusion about what passenger compartment instability means. It doesn't mean that the structural performance in the test was bad, it just means that the structural performance has lost integrity and now has poor repeatability. So if you tested a number of cars of the same model all would likely have different levels of intrusion. That's why it's just a 1 point penalty in the test.

The Creta, i20 and Seltos would have all still been three star cars even if their passenger compartments had remained stable. Like the Honda Mobilio.

Stable or unstable does not tell you how much intrusion there was in the crash.

In early Latin NCAP days intrusion always happened to occur with instability which is why the team probably assumed the unstable structure was causing the bad results and started printing 'Bodyshell integrity: UNSTABLE', because intrusion cannot be put in a simple 'yes' or 'no'. It wasn't until 2014 that a car scored well with an unstable structure (Citroën C3).

In the case of the Creta however the pedals were driven rearward excessively because of intrusion into the footwell. The driver's feet scored no points at all. Until they fix that, the rating isn't going anywhere.

Quote:
If you are a casual driver who 99% of times do not drive at triple digit speeds, not very enthusiastic on corners and value feature list over safety, go ahead with Creta.
That's really not what a crash test result is for. The results represent car-to-car crashes at city speeds. Not even 64km/h. The test represents two cars crashing at 55km/h each with half their fronts overlapping. A higher rating does not mean that you will be protected at higher speeds, but that you will be better protected in certain crashes at typical urban speeds.

Quote:
Jeep Compass will for sure get 5 star at crash test. No matter what anyone argues about Jeep Compass' yet to be tested status, (unlike Korean twins) safety is their main selling point. Go to any Jeep showroom and they will boost about Jeep Compass' 60+ safety features list. And the new Compass is fully loaded with features.
Safety features do not necessarily mean safety performance. The whole point of a test is to verify the performance of those features. In the case of Global NCAP it's very basic and only front crash protection. To their credit Jeep does offer the Compass with standard ESC which is good. And yes I'm sorry I will continue to argue that the Compass hasn't been tested - it really hasn't and nothing changes that. I'm hopeful too of a good performance, both for the Compass and the new VWs, but it's impossible to say anything prematurely.
ron178 is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 09:53   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd hold off on such a comment. Neither the Compass nor the newer VAG cars have been tested. They are well-built but until they actually pass, it's still a gamble. Who'd have expected the Seltos and Creta to fail so badly a couple of years ago?
McLaren Rulez is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 10:09   #126
Senior - BHPian

For the Koreans, it's time to put back all the reinforcement beams, door stiffeners, load path dissipators into the BIW.
They have the tech ready. They do not implement that here in India, as technically, they are meeting "all local safety regulations" with the bare minimum required for homologation purposes.

Heck, even budget platform based models such as Nissan Magnite, Renault Kiger & Renault Triber have secured 4 stars.

It also reflects a bit on the corporate entity's ethical values. For example VW sold the 4-star rated POLO during the times when GNCAP did not even start random testing of indian made vehicles. Nobody told VW or for that matter Tata(then with Zest and Bolt) to do it. Some value system must have driven the OEM's to do it.
arjab is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 10:29   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I'd hold off on such a comment. Neither the Compass nor the newer VAG cars have been tested. They are well-built but until they actually pass, it's still a gamble. Who'd have expected the Seltos and Creta to fail so badly a couple of years ago?
Agreed wholeheartedly, just as we are criticizing some make/models for their less-than-satisfactory scores, we must equally be wary of making any judgements on any untested brands and models, regardless of word-of-mouth reputation.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 11:34   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
It also reflects a bit on the corporate entity's ethical values. For example VW sold the 4-star rated POLO during the times when GNCAP did not even start random testing of indian made vehicles. Nobody told VW or for that matter Tata(then with Zest and Bolt) to do it. Some value system must have driven the OEM's to do it.
Sorry but VAG and ethics don't go well together! Unless you have conveniently forgotten Dieselgate, that is.
nitkel is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 11:43   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeva1706 View Post
Ranking as per Adult and Child Safety Ratings and Points (out of 66 combined)
Attachment 2296142
Overall score of Urban Cruiser is more than Tata Nexon, even though they both have 3 star for child safety, any other parameters where the Nexon lags behind?
Old 14th April 2022, 11:57   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post

When GNCAP tested POLO base model in 2014, it scored Zero star. (https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...-noairbags.pdf) After the result came out, VW made the dual airbags as standard equipment.
sreejithkk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 12:25   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejithkk View Post
When GNCAP tested POLO base model in 2014, it scored Zero star. (https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...-noairbags.pdf) After the result came out, VW made the dual airbags as standard equipment.
And that’s were VW did right, they fixed the issue and scored 4 star.
Hyundai / Kia instead of ‘fixing the issue’ are ‘fixing the news’ by paying more to the media (eg: how many media houses were coming all in support of Seltos safety rating previously)
sunikkat is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 14:11   #132
BHPian

Will higher end Creta might fare better in safety rating since it has 6 airbags and ESP? Can someone clarify this.
Old 14th April 2022, 14:35   #133
BHPian

One of the primary reasons I bought a diesel Brezza was its 4 star rating. However, as many have already pointed out, ratings are based on a controlled collision, and perhaps, irrelevant in a real-world collision, which has several variables. Therefore, a higher rating does not neccesarily translate to a tank-like protection. In my opinion, 3 stars and above are acceptable (I follow this rule with product reviews too). Just don't go for cars rated 2 stars or lower. Ultimately, the aim is to enjoy driving in a safe car, and vehicles rated 3 stars and above can certainly be considered based on one's interest.
I will leave the bashing of Korean/Japanese/European/American/Indian manufacturers to a later date as none of them are perfect!
Chinmay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 16:26   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Any information that which manufacturer is going to enter 5-star club soon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post
I am hoping this is the 5th Gen City with the upcoming hybrid City launch.
Sorry I could confirm that the new City is not being tested

If carandbike was implying that there would be more results soon then it might be some other model then.
ron178 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 17:38   #135
BHPian

These are my two pence on a very long list of litanies against Hyundai on their 3 star performance.

1. This is not an even field. I say this because we truly don't know the safety ratings of the German twins as well as Tata's Safari/Harrier. Lots of this is purely perspective developed over time by people based on factors such as the "thud" they hear when they close the doors etc! Till we don't see the GNCAP ratings of all of our cars, its difficult and even unfair to make hard judgments

2. Everyone should read this brilliant piece on Tea-BHP scripted by @ron178 https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...explained.html (Global NCAP crash tests | Broken down & explained)
It explains and throws light on hitherto unknown aspects of the test such as the fact that the tests are engineered to mimic a collision with another car of similar dimensions and weight. So a 3-ton truck may get 1 star and a 1-ton car may get 5 stars but that does not mean the car is safer than the truck!

3. GNCAP still does not give us an understanding of how important "active" safety features like traction control, 4 disc brakes with ABS, hill assist, brake assist etc play a role in ensuring that the ultimate event of the car getting totaled does NOT happen. Hyundai and Kia are replete with active safety features.

4. It would have been also very helpful if GNCAP could have told us what the improvement in star ratings would be when a car has 6 airbags instead of 2. That way customers can be encouraged to opt-in for certain safety features by paying that extra buck.

5. Lastly we should collectively understand that in a country where almost 45% of what they pay for the car goes in terms of taxes, the budgets available for various aspects of safety and comfort features, have to be balanced appropriately without getting the car too expensive and out of the reach of most customers.
niranjanprabhu is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks