Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2022, 21:34   #16
BHPian

Re: Great T-junction dilemma in smaller towns

This practice of vehicles going all over the junctions is pretty much prevalent everywhere.

If one looks at this menace deeply, there are two interrelated issues - one is the design of the roads and more importantly, the driving etiquettes.

There are several cities and small towns in the Western world where the roads are narrower, but people follow proper driving etiquettes at these junctions.

In India, the very process of driving tests focus on vehicle control and manoeuvrability(doing the shape of 8 for example), but we are never properly trained or even tested on how to drive on the road in the presence of thousands of other vehicle users.

We are trained to drive as if we just need to dodge the other vehicles and continue our own path and that psyche shows up everywhere and exhibited by everyone irrespective of the level of education.

I am looking forward for the day when our training and testing processes on driving (be it two or three or four wheelers) undergo major change to include on the road assessment.
Early_Adopter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2022, 07:52   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzdm View Post
This is where circles are a great help. The cars when arriving at such a junction can take a round the circle before entering the lane / road they wish to take. However, this solution is only feasible if the road width is sufficient enough.
Though exceptions are not to be quoted as examples, I will give you 2 examples from Chennai,

1. The junction of Ashok pillar main rd, Anna main rd and PT Rajan rd - There is no signal here but there is a small roundabout. It is mostly used as another divider. I have never seen vehicles "go around" to make the right turn from Ashok pillar main rd or from PT Rajan rd. And if one does, it will be a competition from 3 sides as to who gets to cross first, not to mention the yelling from irate drivers who think you are cutting in front of them.

2. The junction of Taramani link rd and MGR main rd, near Taramani MRTS station. This 4-way junction has a roundabout but also has a signal that works intermittently, and/or a traffic policeman sometimes. The roundabout is useless here as well. Peak hours jam there is a nightmare.

The core problems are the lack of knowledge, lack of awareness, lack of discipline, lack of patience and finally, lack of courtesy. All these are people issues. What *might* work is a concerted, long term effort from Governments and other agencies to run permanent campaigns on driving rules. At the size of our population, constant reminders on and off the road are the only ones that might work.
asmr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2022, 08:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Ps: I haven't been to Kannur recently, but if I remember right, it was a small circle doing the job.
I hate driving here, but after seeing your post I realised that I never got stuck in traffic at that junction. Most I have to wait is few seconds for the other guys to pass.

You are correct and that lamp post is doing a great job. It leaves just enough space for vehicles to pass and no extra space for vehicles to break rules (including two wheelers). I have never seen traffic police at that junction.

Last edited by Latheesh : 30th April 2022 at 08:35.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 11:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early_Adopter View Post
There are several cities and small towns in the Western world where the roads are narrower, but people follow proper driving etiquettes at these junctions.
Very true. Where I used to live, the roads were narrow and made even narrower because of the street parking but STOP signs were in place. Slightly bigger junctions had circles and no one would undercut them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Early_Adopter View Post
In India, the very process of driving tests focus on vehicle control and manoeuvrability(doing the shape of 8 for example), but we are never properly trained or even tested on how to drive on the road in the presence of thousands of other vehicle users.

We are trained to drive as if we just need to dodge the other vehicles and continue our own path and that psyche shows up everywhere and exhibited by everyone irrespective of the level of education.

I am looking forward for the day when our training and testing processes on driving (be it two or three or four wheelers) undergo major change to include on the road assessment.
Agreed and I never actually thought about it. Good point, not to mention that with the right "pull" and help of an agent, you can get your DL without any driving exam or visiting the RTO delivered to your doorstep.
Old 6th May 2022, 18:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzdm View Post
This is where circles are a great help.
Circles are a great help, except when people just casually ignore their existence.

There is one such T-junction that I used daily during my commute. Around 50 % of the cars and bikes do not go around the circle, but rather over it (using the cricket analogy - over the wicket v/s around the wicket). And this is about 2 kms away from Mumbai, on a junction with a proper circle and the all 3 arms of the T wide enough to have 2 lanes on either side with functional dividers.

Here's a snippet from Google Maps satellite view:
Attached Thumbnails
Great T-junction dilemma in smaller towns-screenshot-20220506-180156.jpg  

Old 6th May 2022, 18:50   #21
BHPian

There is a rule for this : "Right Before Left" in Right side driving country.
This is applicable to unmarked junction and junction without traffic light. A common understanding of this rule is required from all road users for smooth operation.
Old 12th May 2022, 23:11   #22
BHPian

This is, it seems, prevalent across the country. It is same here in Lucknow too...bikers as well as few 4 wheelers cut across while taking a right turn. And it is really frustrating.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks