Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:36   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Kia Carens scores 3-star Global NCAP safety rating

The Kia Carens' base model was on test, which comes fully-loaded with all safety features, including six airbags and ESC.

Name:  122.JPG
Views: 2068
Size:  48.9 KB

Kia Carens scores 3-star Global NCAP safety rating-67.jpg

Quote:

ADULT OCCUPANT
The protection offered to the driver’s and passenger’s head and neck was good. The protection offered to the driver’s chest was marginal while
passenger’s chest was good. Driver’s and passenger’s knees showed marginal protection as they can impact with dangerous structures behind the
dashboard supported by the transfascia tube. Driver’s tibias showed adequate and good protection and passenger’s tibias showed good protection.
The bodyshell and footwell area were rated as unstable and they were not capable of withstanding further loadings. The car offers standard SBR
for driver and passenger. The UN95 test showed that the car could pass the requirements. All of the above explains the 3 stars for adult occupant
protection.

CHILD OCCUPANT
The child seat for the 3 year old was installed FWF with ISOFIX and top tether and it was not able to prevent excessive head excursion during the
impact, offering poor protection to the head and fair to the chest. The child seat for the 1.5 years old was installed RWF with ISOFIX and support leg
and was able to prevent head exposure during the impact offering good protection to the head and chest. CRS marking was ok. The recommended
CRSs did not show incompatibilities. The vehicle does not offer 3 point belts in all seating positions (lap belt in the rear centre position) and ISOFIX
anchorages in the rear outboard positions but were not marked according to Global NCAP requirements. All of the above explains the three stars for
child occupant protection.

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd June 2022 at 13:42.
volkman10 is offline   (76) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:39   #2
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens scores 3-star Global NCAP safety rating

Yikes! With M&M & Tata regularly scoring 4 & 5 stars, Kia & Hyundai seem to be stuck in a 3.0 rut.

At this rate I won't be surprised if Tata becomes the 2nd OEM in India this year.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:42   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Really concerned to see how badly the A pillar and driver door deforms upon impact.

Name:  KiaCarens.jpg
Views: 2056
Size:  103.0 KB

With all the safety aids, it still manages to score similar to what the Ertiga did in it's base spec variant. And the A pillar and front door was far more stable here:

Name:  SuzukiMarutiErtiga2Airbags.jpg
Views: 2017
Size:  179.4 KB

Was really hoping the Carens to break the jinx and score atleast a respectable 4* here.

PS: Did anyone notice, the Carens most certainly toppled post side impact test:

Kia Carens scores 3-star Global NCAP safety rating-screenshot-20220623-135256.jpg

Last edited by Leoshashi : 23rd June 2022 at 13:54.
Leoshashi is offline   (101) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:50   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The Kia Carens' base model was on test, which comes fully-loaded with all safety features, including six airbags and ESC.
Shame on yourself Kia! Even with all the safety equipment, 6 airbags and a far higher price, your car managed to "just" beat the Ertiga's safety points!

Also, look at that horrible damage to the A-Pillar! The last time I ever saw that on a car was with the Eeco and Alto 800!

Heck even the 0 star rated S-Presso has a stronger A-pillar it seems!

Name:  KiaCarens.jpg
Views: 2001
Size:  192.9 KB
Kia Carens scores 3-star Global NCAP safety rating-maruticountersglobalncapsafetyreport1200x900.jpg

On one side there is Maruti who is trying to do better and then there are Hyundai-Kia who just keep disappointing! My belief of not buying a Hyundai-Kia ever just keeps getting stronger each day! (As a Maruti-Honda-Mahindra fanboy, I want to be happy but seeing my friends and family who own these deathboxes just makes me feel sad for those who know less and fall prey to these greedy Koreans!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
PS: Did anyone notice, the Carens most certainly toppled post side impact test
Leave the toppling aside, even the chassis is damaged to quite a lot of extent! This is probably the least safest 7 seater on sale today!

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 23rd June 2022 at 13:57.
theAutomaniac is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:58   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Can any safety expert please provide pointers on how the Carens did versus other Kias & Hyundais?

I love the Carens as a package, but am deeply saddened that the Korean siblings fail to sell 5-star safety cars in India, when Mahindra & Tata do so with such vigour. I had expected Hyundai & Kia to wake up & improve matters after earlier GNCAP embarrassments.
GTO is offline   (72) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:58   #6
BHPian

I wasn’t expecting anything else. Anything based on the Seltos platform, no matter how many airbags or safety tech features you add to it, will wind up being a 3-star rated car. The structural integrity of these cars is inherently poor. (Not trying to offend anyone, just stating based on my observations).

I believe the Venue/Sonet are based on a different platform, so hopefully those twins will be tested soon.

It’s also worth nothing that this is the last test conducted under the current protocol, as from next month the new protocol will be mandated and cars like the Carens could see their ratings docked even further.
Arsenic is online now   (30) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:01   #7
BHPian

Oh well, so much for the airbags and all the noise about 'safety features'

Why not make a stable body shell first?
Shreyas_H is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:15   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Really concerned to see how badly the A pillar and driver door deforms upon impact.
Even the floor seems to buckle.

I was not happy with the build of Carens when I saw it in person. Somehow it didn't feel right. It was a contender for our City replacement but was given a boot after I checked it out.

Quote:
Even the XUV7OO had toppled after side impact test. I guess it is due to the high CG of these SUVs.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 23rd June 2022 at 14:17.
BoneCollector is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:15   #9
BHPian

Here's a comparison with with the Seltos. For some reason in the Seltos' report the passenger and driver images were on the wrong side, so had to flip them with MS Paint:

Kia Carens scores 3-star Global NCAP safety rating-carens_vs_seltos.png

The Carens is a little better on the head and chins, but still bad overall!

Last edited by lordrayden : 23rd June 2022 at 14:30.
lordrayden is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:23   #10
BHPian

I was expecting this since Carens is based on the Seltos platform, which itself was rated unstable. I wasn't recommending Carens to anybody due to the same reasons.

Kia & Hyundai are continuing to re-iterate that they don't have any real commitments to safety outside the marketing features and jargon. The damage to A-pillar and door panel is too much to digest considering the car was doing only 64 kph. (That is equivalent to 2 cars colliding at 50 kph with 40% frontal-offset). Imagine a collision at slightly higher speeds!

The following statement from the Global NCAP SecretaryGeneral is thought-provoking!

Quote:
"We welcome Kia’s decision to make 6 airbags standard fit in the Carens ahead of regulatory requirement. However it remains a cause for concern that global car brands such as @KiaInd achieving 5 stars in other markets, are still not reaching this level in India." SecGen GlobaNCAP
It looks like the safety of the Indian people is not a concern to Hyundai and Kia even in 2022!

Last edited by The Alchemist : 23rd June 2022 at 14:30. Reason: Quote from GNCAP
The Alchemist is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Can any safety expert please provide pointers on how the Carens did versus other Kias & Hyundais?
Not an expert by any means, but it did only slightly better. The Seltos, Creta and i20 had an issue with the head bottoming out the airbag, in the Carens airbag contact was stable.

Overall, parts of the body critical to life were reasonably well-protected, similar to the Ertiga or Triber. But movement of the pedals was excessive, like the Ertiga, and that can cause disabling injuries like ankle joint failure, not extremely serious - and it has other, life-saving tech like side airbags and ESC not assessed by Global NCAP yet which are more important - but I guess we all expected better philosophically speaking.

Quote:
Does not make a difference in the test. There is a dummy only on the driver side, and this is a very basic UN test anyway. Even in the tougher consumer-testing side impacts like Euro/Latin NCAP there is no penalty for tipping over, the repeatability is far too poor to use it in the assessment. Even the XUV700 had rolled over.

Last edited by ron178 : 23rd June 2022 at 14:27.
ron178 is online now   (35) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:35   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Kia and Hyundai are becoming a joke in terms of crash testing!

The 6 airbags trick was just a ploy by Kia India, to show that they actually care for the Indian Customers! Many publications had reported that the Carens will get a 4 star rating atleast!

The crash test throws all those speculations in the dustbin! Being based on a extended platform of the Seltos, this was very much expected! Really feel sorry for the customers who Kia India tricked with the 6 airbags and various other electronic wizardry as standard from the base variant…

Both Mahindra and Tata have absolutely no need to worry and busy churning out continuous 5 star rated cars, a few being 4 stars (eg: Thar)

Meme material has already started, both Hyundai and Kia India should be ashamed:

Kia Carens scores 3-star Global NCAP safety rating-6bb31c2494b443918fe5debb4fbf2b2a.jpeg

Kia Carens scores 3-star Global NCAP safety rating-facefa9f1cc0491d8ed67e11ad569fab.jpeg

Kia Carens scores 3-star Global NCAP safety rating-8149f50e9992461881bbb47188b5d573.jpeg

Kia Carens scores 3-star Global NCAP safety rating-29b1d62071604a31a0eb39637fe95aaa.jpeg

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 23rd June 2022 at 14:40.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (93) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:41   #13
BHPian

Just like the Sonet set a record, the Carens will set one too in terms of sales. I don't see many people cancelling their bookings just because of these crash test results. On the contrary, there will be few takers for vehicles manufactured by TATA, M&M in the segment. All people care about right now, is the features on the MID, the size of the screen, the styling components. That is exactly how Hyundai and Kia are operating in the Indian markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Both Mahindra and Tata have absolutely no need to worry and busy churning out continuous 5 star rated cars, a few being 4 stars (eg: Thar)
Sir, I think Mahindra and TATA have never gotten their share of success even after they have set world standards in terms of safety. Pick any vehicle from these Indian makers, you will see stability and well built products. Don't be surprised if you see the Carens create new records in terms of bookings and sales.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd June 2022 at 15:56. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
Raghu M is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenic View Post
It’s also worth nothing that this is the last test conducted under the current protocol, as from next month the new protocol will be mandated and cars like the Carens could see their ratings docked even further.
I don't think they will change existing ratings retro-actively. The new star ratings will indicate in some way that they are based on the new protocols.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
Why not make a stable body shell first?
Money . At this point in time, re-engineering the India specific platform and making all the changes needed from a manufacturing and supply chain point of view will cost more money than they expect to recoup from EXTRA sales they would get due to the improved crash rating.

Maybe when they cheapened the India-specific platform, they never anticipated how important and publicly discussed car safety will become in India a few years down the line (thanks a million Tata and Mahindra!).

Still, I dont see them loosing any sales over this. Just like with the Seltos, for every safety-conscious BHPian who says "I will not buy the Seltos because of the GNCAP crash rating", there will be two other people who will want to buy it regardless. Not pointing the finger at anyone here, its their money and they have the absolute right to choose their priorities when buying a car. Just saying this rating is unlikely to have any overall sales impact.
lordrayden is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:55   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
With all the safety aids, it still manages to score similar to what the Ertiga did in it's base spec variant. And the A pillar and front door was far more stable here:
A comment I got from someone in the industry - When the efficiency king (Maruti) is struggling to price their product (XL6) against the competition (Carens) - do not take the cost cutting involved so lightly!

That the Carens being unsafe was anyways expected (based on their past performance), but I would also be eager to see how these cars last for the long run. Won't be surprised to see major expenses and part failures post the warranty period (as has been my experience with sister brand Hyundai too! )

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd June 2022 at 16:47. Reason: Typo
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (48) Thanks

Most Viewed