Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:58   #16
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens scores 3-star Global NCAP safety rating

With more safety conscious buyers, I can see Hyundai and Kia going downhill and Mahindra and Tata vying for the spot. Anyway, wasn't expecting more than 3 stars for anything based on seltos. Reminded of the saying: a bad tree cannot yield good fruit.
Joelinf is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 15:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I love the Carens as a package, but am deeply saddened that the Korean siblings fail to sell 5-star safety cars in In
Both take two different routes on what they want to sell. One is selling safety while compromising a little on bells and whistles while the other gives every damn bell and whistle compromising on getting a 5 star safety rating. Just today there is an article on xuv700 winning an award specifically aimed at safety.

KIA carens with a 3 star rating is a very good value proposition. It is loaded and i am impressed. The last row can seat two adults while even the fortuner is painful in the last seat.

Horses for courses here imho. Just two years back we had cars without airbag and the same air bag was sold as bells and whistles by the same maruti and Hyundai.

Last edited by VW2010 : 23rd June 2022 at 15:41.
VW2010 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 15:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Was expected after seeing the Seltos and Creta ratings. It's after all the same platform with barely any use of ultra high strength steel.

In the current GNCAP protocol, since only a frontal offset test is carried out, curtain airbags aren't going to help too much. ESP also does not carry any points in the current protocol.

Hyundai / Kia must be cursing their luck that GNCAP has focussed on them recently!
Old 23rd June 2022, 15:56   #19
BHPian

Releasing the Carens' rating on the same day as awarding the XUV700 is like rubbing salt in Kia's wounds.

That got me comparing the two and the result shocked me . Look at the difference in side impact performance:

Kia Carens scores 3-star Global NCAP safety rating-xuv_vs_carens.png

Look at the Mahindra's side and then the Kia's side. The Carens' deformation is almost the exact shape and size of the barrier! Seems like its given very little resistance! Reminded me of this :

Name:  Tom_and_Jerry_Shape.png
Views: 1267
Size:  680.8 KB

Last edited by lordrayden : 23rd June 2022 at 16:05.
lordrayden is offline   (96) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 16:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Alejandro Furas, Secretary General of Global NCAP about Kia.

Quote:
“Global NCAP welcomes Kia’s decision to make six airbags a standard fit in the Carens ahead of a regulatory requirement. However, we expected a better performance from this model. It remains a cause for concern that global car brands such as Kia, that normally achieve 5 star ratings in other markets, are still not reaching this level in India.
Venkatesh is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 16:05   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
Releasing the Carens' rating on the same day as awarding the XUV700 is like rubbing salt in Kia's wounds.

That got me comparing the two and the result shocked me . Look at the difference in side impact performance:
On a different note, skip to 11.20 in the below video and you can see GNCAP has actually edited out many things in their official video.

CrossLife is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 16:08   #22
BHPian

I'm concerned to see how the A pillar and floor deformed. The age old dialogue can be applied here: if Tata and Mahindra can make 5 star rated cars at low prices, then why can't Kia/Hyundai?
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 16:40   #23
BHPian

Gosh!

From so many reports of parts failing, brakes not braking, clutch pre-mature failures, DCT's heating and fuel pumps failing, paint chipping off, power window switches not working, Touchscreens conking off and now to absolute trash level safety performance across the range (from the humble santro to eye-wateringly expensive Creta/Seltos), Hyundai-kia products are at the bottom of the spectrum every which way except for the engine- drivetrains probably.

I cannot remember any manufacturer in India that has performed worse than Hyundai-Kia. All major manufacturers have a 4 star rated car at this point in their arsenal - be it Renault, Maruti, Nissan (yes Nissan with their only mass selling car!), Honda, Tata, Mahindra - all of them except Hyundai-Kia.

At this point, at every price segment (maybe except the Creta segment) you can have a safer car than a Hyundai-Kia with almost the same level of fit & finish (was never a fan of their interior color scheme & design anyway) and equipment levels from other manufacturers. If one is ready to compromise very tiny bit on these things, it is best to avoid Hyundai-Kia altogether.

At this point, I don't think I can trust buying their cars even if they score a 4+ rating in the future, what if with their greedy mentality they score a 4+ rating only to go back and make changes in the production line to cut costs?

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd June 2022 at 16:42. Reason: Spacing for better readability
Candy$Cars is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 16:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

No Surprises there. Anybody expecting any made in and for India Hyundai/Kia(sub20L) to have a 'stable bodyshell' is just going to get disappointed. And with the insane number of these on road the Koreans wont even bother to change this. Whatever gives them the best ROI

With all the made-in-india hyundai/kia test results I guess we can conclude:

Hyundai/Kia == Unstable bodyshell, period!!!

Just noticed under 20L Maruti has 1 car which scored respectable(Brezza), Hyundai has none. So who should get the official Tin-Can maker tag?
SoumenD is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 16:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

Not surprising considering how other Hyundai / Kia performed. All part of 3 Star club.

When a manufacturer gives so many features, 7 seater and at a very competitive pricing a compromise would have been done some where or other. Unfortunately the compromise is done on the most crucial aspect of safety.
Will it impact the sales? - Hell No, the waiting period will only keep on increasing.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 17:28   #26

This was always expected considering the fact that more airbags doesn't necessarily increases passive safety. The basic underpinnings of the car is same as Seltos. I was really hoping that Kia/Hyundai will take the safety angle seriously especially when they have the R&D and has been churning out safe cars in other markets. Kia K5 and Kia Stinger are rated 2022 IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK+. This rating too will be downplayed by our journalists considering Kia/Hyundai has deep pockets and will be forgotten in a few weeks time.
However, this news makes me proud of TATA and MAHINDRA for their emphasis on safety.
Sabertooth32 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 17:28   #27
BHPian

They should have put those 6 airbags on the outside perhaps

On a serious note, rather than bashing the manufacturer, we should blame ourselves. What kind of cars are we buying these days? what are the preferred features?

Disco lights inside the cabin, full glass ceiling, biggest sub-woofer, a 42 inch UHD TV instead of a proper dashboard? what do we want? Those tuk-tuks that run on Bangkok streets at night?
Nav-i-gator is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 17:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
That got me comparing the two and the result shocked me
Interesting observation, the XUV700 will be exported & so has probably been developed for the Australasian NCAP’s side impact which uses a 1300-1400 kg barrier (vs 950 in this UN95/Latin NCAP test) and 60km/h (instead of 50).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossLife View Post
GNCAP has actually edited out many things in their official video.
They have edited out rollovers whether it’s a Latin NCAP zero star Duster or Wingle 5 or a five star Taos or Global NCAP 5 star XUV700 (and yes Latin NCAP and Global NCAP are the same team). Even the Carens rolled over and it was edited out. The people who made the video seem to have little idea what they are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Kia must be cursing their luck that GNCAP has focussed on them recently!
Kia sponsored this test!

Last edited by ron178 : 23rd June 2022 at 17:38.
ron178 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 17:43   #29
BHPian

Just goes to prove that no matter how much safety equipment a car carries, what saves the day is a safe and sound structure underneath. Come October and if the proposed 6 airbag thingy becomes a reality, we are going to see more of these even though they are going to be 'promoted' as safe just like Carens.

Just makes you wonder, given the sales numbers these companies drive, how much would it affect their bottom line if they put in some efforts regards to structural safety?

Hyundai used the below image for marketing (for Creta IIRC). Looking at how the A pillars crumbled, the elephants would fall flat on their face
Attached Images

ToThePoint is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 18:06   #30
BHPian

Elsewhere..

Elon Musk- that is easy. A software fix would bump it to 5 stars.
TorqMaster is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed