Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2022, 22:49   #1
BHPian

Pandemic of wrong side driving - What is the cure?

We have all been through two difficult years due to Covid-19 pandemic and are recovering back to normal life now. Around this time, a new 'disease' has started becoming increasingly common among the drivers and riders of our roads, to an extent that it has now reached pandemic proportions - at least in Bangalore. The disease I am referring to is that of 'wrong side driving' or 'driving against the flow of traffic'!
This disease has started catching everyone irrespective of whether he rides a bike or cycle, drives a car, auto, BMTC bus, garbage collection vehicles, tipper lorries, yulu cycles etc.

Here in Bangalore, initially it started because the cops created many one ways to ease the flow of traffic and 'few' of our citizens didnt like the 'inconvenience'. Then the cops added dividers and removed random U-turns which were causing bottlenecks, so now 'more' citizens started driving on wrong side because 'who drives 250m for a U-turn bro?' The disease has also spontaneously mutated to turn on the headlights, hazards and highbeams as a means to warn others and this mutation has somehow wirelessly got transmitted to all the citizens who have been affected by this disease!
It has now reached a point where people drive on the wrong side of an "UNDIVIDED" two way street with no real benefit for doing so

I was expressing my frustration about this wrong side menace with my colleagues and most of them justified this behavior saying the government hasnt made proper roads and are only interested in inconveniencing the public by creating unnecessary one ways. My efforts to explain them that one ways actually improve traffic flow were countered by rants about rise in fuel costs and other political discussions which I dont want to mention here. All these people whom I spoke with are well educated and well earning citizens and I failed to convince them that wrong side driving is bad! That is when it hit me hard that this disease has now reached pandemic scales with no cure in sight!

I was wondering what can be done to cure this disease. One can say strict enforcement of law by the cops is the cure, but practically that is not possible in the foreseeable future due to the less number of police headcount. Technology can be a solution but come with high costs. Even if technology catches all these offenders, who is going to enforce and collect all the pending fines since the no. of violations will be huge?
Bangalore cops too have stopped bothering these one way rule breakers and are only worried about stopping two wheelers without helmets.

I have had many near misses on one way roads due to these diseased riders and I am now extremely frustrated and scared to even drive my car! What is the cure for this?
nagr22 is online now   (65) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 23:10   #2
BHPian

re: Pandemic of wrong side driving - What is the cure?

Replace the word 'Bangalore' with 'Hyderabad', and every member here from Hyderabad will upvote this. Like you said, it is truly of pandemic proportions.
brownkaiser is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 06:51   #3
BHPian

I would agree with you bro that this is a pandemic...
It has spread to Pune as well.
I drive daily from Chinchwad to Chakan everyday.
Here, even Trailers & trucks drive on wrong side to avoid U-turns. What is worse is that this happens inspite of Traffic cops standing at junctions. �� ��
NerdSpeaks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 07:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

The moment I saw the title, I thought this must surely be from Bangalore.

I have enough videos from the dash cam on a daily basis that if I choose to post those on the ‘Bad Driver’s’ thread, I’ll end up hijacking the entire thread. Such is the wrong side menace at Bangalore.

I don’t know what the solution could be. I’m only adding to the rant here. What used to be just cyclists and two wheelers in the past has now transformed to everything of every size that moves.
jkrishnakj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 07:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well pandemic in the Indian context of course and not limited to any city.

There are multiple contributing factors but the core reason is the lack of a proper driving system which ensures that every driving licence holder is aware of road signs, driving etiquettes and discipline. This is exacerbated by the general lack of civic sense among a lot of us.
As long as one gets through others may go to hell is the guiding principle.

Enough of the rants but do I have/foresee a solution in the near future ? Sadly not.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 08:07   #6
BHPian

The situation in Delhi isn't different. You will see idiots driving on the wrong side all the times, with no guilt or realisation. Bikes, cars, rikshaw, auto, cows - everyone! You confront them and they will be ready for a fist fight (except the cows).

We call these idiots "wise" for being able to ditch the traffic on the other side, ofcourse it doesn't matter that it comes at the cost of others' inconvenience and safety. They think it's absolutely fine to do that. How do you fix that? If you think that education and awareness will do that - we see people who are educated and well off doing this more often than others. Breaking rules, being inconsiderate and selfish are embedded in our society so deep that It's almost beyond repair. Absolutely hopeless.
Col Mehta is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 09:13   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownkaiser View Post
Replace the word 'Bangalore' with 'Hyderabad', and every member here from Hyderabad will upvote this. Like you said, it is truly of pandemic proportions.
Not only in b'lore or hyderabad, but even in Chennai and the rest of India. Funny part here is that, even in good roads, people use the wrong side riding to save few meters and taking a u-turn.

Near my house, there's 2 junctions 100m apart and a high traffic road in the middle, and most people to save 50m, ride in the wrong side and coagulate the other junction and have caused multiple accidents too.

This mainly started during the actual covid lockdown, and these practises during the lockdowns have continued to remain
shravansp24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 09:29   #8
KPR
BANNED

I'm trying to follow a practice since last few years. My marathon running/cycling friend gave me this suggestion. Force those wrong side idiots to drive to the right side of you so that they get exposed to fast traffic on the right.
KPR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 10:15   #9
BHPian

Four years ago I posted the cure . Repeating the post for the entertainment of all those who visit this thread.

The Bangalore Motor Vehicles (Wrong Side) Rules 2018
DRAFT

CHAPTER 1

1. Short title, extent and commencement
(1) These rules may be called the Bangalore Motor Vehicles (Wrong Side) Rules, 2018.
(2) They shall extend only to the city of Bangalore, Karnataka.
(3) They shall come into force on the First day of May, 2018.
2. Need for these Rules
(1) It is recognised that in the city of Bangalore more people drive on the wrong side of the road than on the right side of the road.

(2) The current Motor Vehicles Act is silent on the rules governing driving on the wrong side of the road.

(3) It is therefore considered expedient in the public interest to frame clear rules to guide motorists to drive correctly on the wrong side of the road.

CHAPTER 2

3. Definition of Lanes
(1) The left most lane on any road is exclusively meant for 2 wheelers coming in the opposite direction.

(2) The second and third lanes are exclusively reserved for traffic going in the forward direction.

(3) The right extreme lane (often erroneously called as the fast lane) is meant for
a. Four wheelers coming on the wrong side of the road
b. Two wheelers who are preparing to dart into the opposing side of the road
c. Trucks and buses who have broken down and are denoted by some leaves placed on their rear
d. Yellow board taxis who have had a puncture and whose tires are being replaced
(4) It is expressly clarified that no matter how wide the road is , these four lane rules shall apply.

(5) When a vehicle is parked in the left most lane, right of way on the second lane is for the 2 wheeler coming in the wrong direction.

(6) These definition of lanes cater also to single carriageways where they will apply head on , on both sides.

CHAPTER 3

4. Rules regarding Lights
(1) Any vehicle coming on the wrong side of the road must have their headlamps in high beam. It is preferable that high powered lights are fitted so that oncoming drivers can be blinded as effectively as possible.
(2) It is optional for such vehicles to have their hazard warning lights on.
5. Rules regarding turn indicators
(1) Vehicles coming on the wrong side of the road should not use their turn indicators at all . (Note that Rule 4 (2) encourages them to be used as hazard warning lights).
(2) Any vehicle signalling with their turn indicator is liable to face a penalty of a maximum of Rs 1000 or simple imprisonment not exceeding six months , or both.

CHAPTER 4

6. Special Rules for Two Wheelers
(1) There must be at least 3 people riding on the two wheeler. If any of the riders are less than 12 years of age, the minimum number of riders shall be 4.
(2) The driver shall carry his helmet on the arm. Under no circumstances shall he wear it on his head. Only ISI mark helmets are allowed.
(3) The driver shall speak into the mobile phone for the entire duration of driving on the wrong side of the road. He shall not use the left hand to hold the phone and instead cradle the phone between his neck and the head with the head tilted at a minimum of 35 degrees from the vertical.

CHAPTER 5

7. Rules at Traffic Junctions
(1) Traffic lights shall have the following meaning for vehicles coming on the wrong direction of the road
a. Red means Go
b. Amber means Go
c. Green means Go
(2) At any traffic junction vehicles coming from the wrong side of the road may either continue on the wrong side of the road or change to the opposite side. Such change can be executed at any time while crossing the junction and shall have right of way.

CHAPTER 6

8. Service lanes
(1) For sake of abundant clarity it is hereby reiterated that these Rules are applicable to service lanes to National & State Highways as well. Motorists are encouraged to avail of this facility and drive on the wrong side of service lanes.

(2) It is recognised that all service lanes have either craters of a minimum dimension of 3ft by 2 ft by 4 ft or a lake of equal dimensions. Therefore the lane rules stated in 3 above do not apply to service lanes and any vehicle can occupy any lane.

Chapter 7

9. U Turns
(1) Vehicles coming on the wrong side of the road are permitted to do a U turn anywhere and at any point in time. This provision is to enable them to do an instant U turn at the sight of a Traffic Cop in the distance. Vehicles coming on the right side of the road must give way for those taking U turns.

(2) A minimum of 6 points must be executed while performing a U turn. 3 point U turns are not permitted.
(3) All vehicles coming on the wrong side may, at any time, cross the divider and move on to the right side . Both 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers are allowed to climb the divider and cross over for this purpose. Vehicles coming on the right side shall patiently wait while this maneuver is completed.
(4) Vehicles coming on the right side of the road shall not honk while maneuvers described in (1) , (2) and (3) above are being carried out. If they do provisions of Chapter 8 relating to Road Rage shall apply.

CHAPTER 8

10. Road Rage
(1) In recognition of the extreme stress faced by drivers coming on the wrong side of the road, it is allowed that they freely curse those coming on the right side of the road.
(2) In accordance with Karnataka Promotion of Local Language Act, such cursing is permitted only in Kannada.
(3) Drivers of vehicles coming on the right side of the road shall keep their mouths firmly shut and enjoy the colourful insults, especially on the questions of their parentage and the status of the female members of their family. If they open their mouth they shall be liable to face a penalty of a maximum of Rs 1000 or simple imprisonment not exceeding six months , or both.

CHAPTER 9

11. Pedestrians
(1) Pedestrians are expected to look both sides before crossing the road. If they only look right, and are run over by a two wheeler coming on the wrong side, then there is no liability on the two wheeler and it is entirely the fault of the pedestrian.

(2) Pedestrians are required to move only sideways while walking on a road. This is to enable them to look both right and left , to ensure that they sight vehicles coming on the wrong side of the road early.

(3) Pedestrians are required to do the 360 degree head rotate while they are shuffling sideways along the edge of the road. The sequence and purpose of the rotation is described below
- First right to check vehicles coming on the right side of the road.
- Then down to avoid the crater, lake, fallen board having 136 photographs of politicians looking like constipated owls, egestion output of various animals, etc.
- Then left to check vehicles coming on the wrong side of the road.
- Then up to avoid being entangled by electrical / cable TV wires.

CHAPTER 10

12. Monitoring and Penalties

(1) Traffic policemen shall be deployed at strategic locations to check on compliance with the said rules. They shall be deployed in teams of 2 - one facing the right side of the road and one facing the wrong side of the road to effectively catch offenders.

(2) The maximum fine for offences under this rule is Rs 1000. This can be compounded by a discrete folded note of Rs 100 slipped unobtrusively (amount increases to Rs 200 at monthends to ensure no loss of lifestyle to public servants in the difficult last week of the month) .

The above draft rules were forwarded to this forum via the following covering letter

Office of the Frustrated Motorists of Bangalore
Middle of Nagwara Junction
Bangalore - 560045
14th April 2018

Do No 435/16/346A/FMB/2018-16

Dear Sirs

The Motorists Community of Bangalore is considering an amendment to the Motor Vehicles Act to provide guidance for vehicles driving on the wrong side of the road. It is recognised that in Bangalore the number of vehicles driving on the wrong side of the road have exceeded the number of vehicles driving on the right side of the road. It is therefore in the public interest that clear rules are formulated in this regard.

The draft rules titled "The Bangalore Motor Vehicles (Wrong Side ) Rules 2018 " are hereby being released for public comment & consultation. It has been reported to this office that your forum represents drivers who are (mostly) driving on the right side of the road. We are therefore seeking your opinion on these draft rules so that they may be considered before the final Rules are framed and enacted.

Please submit your final comments to this office on or before 13th May, 2018. Please circumscribe your envelope "Team-BHP Infraction"

-sd-

Assistant Deputy Chief Officer (Acting)
Office of the Frustrated Motorists of Bangalore
Secretariat is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 10:23   #10
BHPian

I don't understand what the Chinese virus has got to do with this. Driving on wrong side has been the forte since the beginning of time. At least in Pune.

Pandemic of wrong side driving - What is the cure?-oldvintagephotoofmainstreetpunemaharashtraindiaasiaaad194435f765eb.jpg
Notice the bullock cart parked on the road. On the wrong side of course. Proud to be Punekar. Hell yeah!

After giving hard stares, complaining to the cops, trying to block their way, explain, argue and all other civilised tricks in the book, after decades of noticing nothing works for these morons, I have come up with a sure shot solution.
Demolition derby.

<Enter_fantasy_mode>
Imagine a world where every inch of the road is covered with HD CCTV cameras which actually work.
In this utopian world, every vehicle is fitted with crash bars which are automatically activated only if you are following all traffic rules.
You are driving happily when a moron approaches you from the wrong side.
Reflexively, you ram your vehicle into his.
His vehicle turns into scrap. Yours is still pristine.
You gloat at the moron's look of incredulous shock as you drive away.
By the time your destination, you receive a message from your bank. A grateful Government has credited your account by ₹500 for helping implement traffic discipline.
<Exit_fantasy_mode>
RedTerrano is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 10:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Educate.Enforce.Eradicate

Educate: Right from driving tests laws and rules should be hardwired into our heads. Laws are not meant to be broken as per our convenience. Start in schools?

Enforce: Ethical law enforcement agencies enforcing even the "minor" laws.

Eradicate: Point 1 and 2 properly implemented will help eradicate the clueless lawless riders/drivers.

But that's just wishful thinking. We love finding the easy way out and loopholes to beat the system I guess.

Wrong side, merging onto main road without bothering to stop and look, mobiles, sunroofs, etc etc. Sad part is, most of the so called minor offences will start becoming the norm (if it hasn't already) and we will become immune to such instances.
deathwalkr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 11:33   #12
BHPian

My grandpa used to say that in the 1950's, the panacea for wrong side driving or breaking the rule was deflate the vehicle tire and make the person sweat it out !. It went to the extent that if someone breaks the rule and they see a policeman, they will deflate themselves.

Nowadays forget about punishing, nobody wants to enforce the rules. Fine will not solve the problem.
bharanidharang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 12:13   #13
BHPian

There is no solution. We will have to live with this for the rest of our lives. Any attempt to educate or mend such people might result in an ugly argument or at worst a full blown fist fight. Save yourself the trouble of getting into any altercation with such idiots on the road by trying your best to avoid them.
Old 9th July 2022, 12:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
The disease I am referring to is that of 'wrong side driving' or 'driving against the flow of traffic'!
What is the cure for this?
I believe that wrong side driving is the symptom and not the disease itself.

Enforcement and fines don't work for long because we are treating the symptoms and not the disease. It's not like the flu where you only treat the symptoms and the body heals itself. It's like jaundice where the yellowing is just the symptom. You need to look at what's wrong with the liver.

When it comes to wrong-side driving we need to know the reason why drivers make this decision. Even the "diseased" drivers know the risks behind what they are doing and nobody would willingly take the risk. From experience, I have seen that wrong-side driving is primarily caused by poor infrastructure. You heard your colleagues. People choose to drive on the wrong side because they feel the other option is tedious or impractical. The lack of consequences only encourages this behaviour.
It all boils down to how poorly our cities have been designed. The one-way road solutions is again dealing with the symptom (traffic jams) and not the cause.
Unfortunately, the disease can only be cured through a slow infrastructural overhaul. There is no easy way out. Some design modifications can be done to make it impossible to drive on the wrong side. Most city bodies know this but are unwilling to go there because they would face a heavy backlash. I remember giving infrastructural solutions to a city PWD engineer and he derided me by stating "Kuch practical batao jo aasan ho" (give me a practical solution that is easy to do). Nobody is currently ready to take the big step. I wouldn't expect a solution quickly. This is like treating obesity. It will take willpower and baby steps to get to the solution.

P.S: Education/Awareness is often given as a solution. While I agree that educating children should be a priority, it doesn't work for adults. Social influence always takes precedence.

Last edited by Rohan265 : 9th July 2022 at 12:29.
Rohan265 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 12:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdSpeaks View Post
It has spread to Pune as well.
you mean it was not present in Pune? Here people take pride in not wearing a helmet, so wrong side driving is not considered wrong side here.

It depends on location, in some places the U turn is so far away that people have to resort to it - eg Nasik Phata to Rajgurunagar stretch. Assume this is the road you are talking about.

In other places people are simply plain lazy to take a U turn which is not too far away. Its a habit and it will never die.

I dont give way to wrong side drivers, i make their life difficult by pretending to not see them. Of course i avoid road rage , i simply keep driving straight even when i see someone coming from wrong side and pretend to be a learner driver.

Most Viewed