Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2022, 16:43   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Road Markings and Signages explained

We create history by creating our own road signs that are neither self-explanatory, nor conforming to the UN Convention.

Road Markings and Signages explained-screenshot_20220809163006_google.jpg

https://www.timesnownews.com/viral/t...e-93323800/amp

Quote:
Twitter user Aniruddha Mukherjee from Bengaluru posted a picture of the uncommon traffic symbol online. The Whitefield traffic police department responded and told him that it is a cautionary sign board which warns that a blind person may likely be on the road. Twitter users were thoroughly impressed by the information.
Luckily, his inquisitive mind was settled when traffic police in the Whitefield area swiftly responded to his query on the social media platform. "Dear Sir, that is a cautionary sign board which (warns) that a blind person may likely be on the road (and so you must) exercise caution while driving. There is a school (for blind people) at Hope Farm Junction where this board is placed," said traffic police.
The response garnered a lot of attention as many were unaware of the existence of such a traffic symbol. "Wow. Never knew about this sign. Thanks," wrote one user. Another user thought the traffic department should start educating people about these signals on Twitter. "Awesome I guess time for @blrcitytraffic to share some light on traffic signs daily on Twitter and other rules around it. Will help us educate further," wrote the user. Further, many others followed to thank the traffic police department for their quick response. "Thank you for the education! Most of us are unaware of these road signs and their meaning!" said one user.
For a driving population that does not know the conventional signs, any random sign can be passed off as valid, by the super-creative minds of the country's traffic police forces. The "Deaf people on road" sign is another, that supposedly has its origins in Gujarat, and is neither self-explanatory, nor a part of the UN Convention on Road Signs.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 9th August 2022 at 16:53.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 17:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajamass View Post
Are these signs applicable to the Indian traffic rules or worldwide?
These are standard worldwide and true to Indian traffic rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
These two images seem to have their text's right and left mixed up.
Second row, first image in both pics
Yes, realised that. Will take help from our mods to get this corrected. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by malim View Post
Is it just me, or are the captions for "Compulsory Ahead Or Turn Left" and "Compulsory Ahead Or Turn Right" swapped?
Yes, realised that. Will take help from our mods to get this corrected. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
Thanks - now I just need to find an Indian road which makes proper use of these markings!
One such road can be found in Kerala where we could see all these markings and signages done and in very good order. Its the Main Central road (MC Road) / State Highway 1, that connects Trivandrum to Ernakulam via Chengannur and Kottayam.
More details of this road here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Central_Road
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 19:18   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Mandatory / Compulsory Instruction signages - They are ROUND shaped

Attachment 2342981
"Compulsory Ahead Or Turn Right Sign" - Is that a typo? Isn't it asking Ahead or turn Left?
Attached Images

anoopelias is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 20:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Painstakingly compiled, wonderful resource for every person to know out there on the road

One signage (& its variations in India) that has always baffled me is the "No Parking" sign.
In Pune, for example, I have seen atleast 10 different "official" No Parking signages.

Name:  download.png
Views: 959
Size:  2.3 KB

And every locality has its own version , like this one:-

Name:  1download.jpeg
Views: 975
Size:  13.1 KB
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 00:15   #20
BHPian

Thanks @sharathlal for this detailed coverage of the traffic & road signs.
After studying these signs one would realise that in many dangerous/narrow road sections(single lane roads) we have the solid line divider and other restrictive signs which prohibits one from overtaking. But our overall lack of understanding prevents us from correctly interpreting and adhering to these signs.
This ignorance is widely applicable for majority of important road signs which otherwise would have helped/assisted us in our drives. This is specially applicable for highway driving where one mistake can be very costly.
Additionally we can extend this thread to cover hand signals and other traffic rules. This thread can serve as an one stop point of reference for all traffic signs, rules, etc. related information.
PhoenixInRising is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 09:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
An attempt at compiling important road markings and signages.
Dividing this post into two main components - Road Markings and Road Signages.
Information is compiled from various portals and posts from within our TBHP community as well. Due thanks to all individuals, this is just a compiled format for easy reference.
Special mention to shitalsigns and Ajith Buddy Malayalam YouTube channel for majority artefacts.

Lets start with Part 1 - Road Markings.

A very good refresher course I found myself in a spot when wifey asked me what few road signs means when driving around in KL. And I have been driving for more than a decade now!!

I find KL with its tricky topography now has a lot of road signage than TN. Something regular city drivers might not be aware of.
John Jacob13128 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 08:03   #22

https://bit.ly/3Qplwwh
In Hungary the road will sing to you if you keep to the speed limit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks